GT Omega Racing Apex Wheel Stand Review: A Stable Step Up

I almost bought one of these a few weeks ago but the lack of reviews (until now) stopped me taking the plunge.

Could I ask a huge favour of you? Could you please take a picture of how far it extends (I'm 6'7") and tell me if it's still stable or not?

I've currently got a PS Challenge and the seating position/comfort is massively compromised to squeeze me into it. I fancy a bit of sofa comfort driving for a change.

I've had a GT Omega stand for almost 4 years now and I've been well pleased with it. The review is correct about one thing, even without the wheel attached these things are pretty heavy. Wheel and pedals attached and it's really too much for me to try and pick up and move without throwing my back out.

This is the discussion thread for a recent post on GTPlanet:
This article was published by Joe Donaldson (@Joey D) on May 23rd, 2019 in the Hardware category.

-Is the shifter plate height adjustable?
-And how much does the steering wheel plate move around front to back? It looks like it is mounted on a thin metal piece with only two bolts side by side, so could tilt forward back. Which is not a major concern, but does make the kit feel flimsy when catching slides, drifting etc.

Both these points are an issue with the Next Laving Racing Seat I currently have, which looks similar in design. Link below
https://www.nextlevelracing.com/products/next-level-racing-wheel-stand/

mef
-And how much does the steering wheel plate move around front to back? It looks like it is mounted on a thin metal piece with only two bolts side by side, so could tilt forward back. Which is not a major concern, but does make the kit feel flimsy when catching slides, drifting etc.

Both these points are an issue with the Next Laving Racing Seat I currently have, which looks similar in design. Link below
Shifter height is not adjustable. The steering wheel plate doesn't move front to back at all, and when all the bolts are fully tightened it doesn't move at all. Very sturdy.

I bought mine about 2 months ago when they had a sale and it's still at that price.

mef

I had the same problems with the Next Level Racing stand, my wheel used to go up and down pivoting on the thin bar. Sold it and bought the Next Level GTxtreme - not the best rig but good enough for my CSW 2.5.

This stand is basically a rip off of the next level racing stand in general. Whichever one you could get cheapest I'd buy that one. I've got a NLR stand but a GT Omega racing chair which works for me. If this had been out when I got the stand I may have bought it as it's slightly cheaper in the UK than the NLR one. Plus the extension full rig seat for this costs much less in the UK if that's the road you want to go down.

Bought my Gt Omega Apex stand 10 days ago and it is a solid stand. Got it on ebay, new for £125 with free next day delivery.

This design and the NLR stand seem to be the most solid you can buy for the money as in under £200. £125 is fantastic value

Yea, spending more than that you might as well invest in a proper rig with seat included. A Ricmotech design if you want to DIY, or any other company that's out there.

Yea, spending more than that you might as well invest in a proper rig with seat included. A Ricmotech design if you want to DIY, or any other company that's out there.

I would have got myself a rig and was looking for a while but found nothing with a high enough seat for me, so i went with the Apex (as it was 17% off) and a generic GP Racer chair for the height.

edit: if anyone is looking to get a new stand they are still £124.95 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GT-OMEGA...D-SUITABLE-FOR-FANATEC-CSL-ELITE/142951548879 where i got mine from.

Last edited:
Is it possible to mount the pedals slightly to the left on that stand, so that the brake ends up more to the left for left foot braking? (Talking about the GT Omega one).

Is it possible to mount the pedals slightly to the left on that stand, so that the brake ends up more to the left for left foot braking? (Talking about the GT Omega one).

just looking now the T3PA pedals use the middle slots out of the 3 each side to be in center, so you could get it to move over but only about 12mm or so. also you could offset the wheel on the stand to get the desired set up.

i have mine central and left foot brake ok, ish lol.

just looking now the T3PA pedals use the middle slots out of the 3 each side to be in center, so you could get it to move over but only about 12mm or so. also you could offset the wheel on the stand to get the desired set up.

i have mine central and left foot brake ok, ish lol.

How do you offset the wheel? It's welded to the frame... I've got my pedals as far left as they'll go and I still have to angle my legs to the right. Would love to know how I can shift my wheel along to the right
Cheers

I have mine placed as far left as they can go and it's comfortable for me, there is a slight angle to the right with my feet in my images. You could also move the pedal plates over too which will make it straighter for you.

IMG-20190928-124912777.jpg

IMG-20190928-130325885.jpg

As you can see my pedal plates are central so you can gain another 5mm more to the left.

Note: My set up is so my feet are a little off center to the right due to an injury so it may look wierd my legs at an angle but that is comfy for me :)

Hello, thinking about getting this wheel stand.

The problem is I have the T150 wheel and am still saving money for a better one. Can I mount the wheel on the stand. Could you elaborate more on that 'hole' solution that you did in the article.

Also I'll be racing with the Elite CSL LC so that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm looking at the rear seat frame for the Apex wheel stand. I was wondering if anyone has looked at alternative racing seat options, other than the RS9 (the only one in stock at GT Omega) that might be suitable for (relatively) easy mounting to the Apex. I wouldn't mind spending a bit less, to be honest. I'm not a full-time driver, but I do like my sims. I'm currently using a gaming chair on wheels, and would like to step up to something more stable without breaking my bank too much.

Thanksin advance for any suggestions.

For a new seat, the GT Omega seats are very well priced. I went for a Sparco R100 which comes in at £200. Entry level too as far as proper car bucket seats go. You’ll find cheaper car seats on eBay etc but they’ll be second hand and might be a little ropey. No reason why you won’t be lucky though and find a nice one. So new, and with that proper race seat look, you’ll be hard pressed beating out the GT Omega ones.

The rear seat frame addition is superb and it’s incredibly sturdy. Overall footprint is pretty small too. Love mine.

Attachments

• 9A2090CE-D167-4142-942A-5B3CD7A81C27.jpeg
    9A2090CE-D167-4142-942A-5B3CD7A81C27.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 113
  • A286E72A-1FAE-4F3E-9D41-FA17DF6E7A9D.jpeg
    A286E72A-1FAE-4F3E-9D41-FA17DF6E7A9D.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 112
I'm looking at the rear seat frame for the Apex wheel stand. I was wondering if anyone has looked at alternative racing seat options, other than the RS9 (the only one in stock at GT Omega) that might be suitable for (relatively) easy mounting to the Apex. I wouldn't mind spending a bit less, to be honest. I'm not a full-time driver, but I do like my sims. I'm currently using a gaming chair on wheels, and would like to step up to something more stable without breaking my bank too much.

Thanksin advance for any suggestions.
If you are in the U.S. check out Summit Racing as they sell aftermarket High back bucket seats for placing in actual cars and they do have models cheaper than the GT Omega offerings and most do come with sliders.
Personally unless you are building a motion rig I would try to buy a seat that does not over emphasize the bolsters on the seat or back as their purpose is to keep you in the seat while encountering G forces that you will never encounter in a static rig. Also they make getting in and out of the seat more difficult and limit your being able to shift yourself a bit in the seat to get more comfortable.
This is a purchasing option that eliminates the pricing premium just because it has the wording of "gaming" or "sim" in the sales marketing.

Honestly though the best value in build quality, materials and rigidity in a seat for the money will probably come from a late model wrecked vehicle at the salvage yard. The aftermarket stuff is not going to be any where the quality of an OEM seat as offered by a car manufacturer in a late model vehicle that has to pass stringent government safety specs to even be sold.

Last edited:
I have a follow-up question regarding the seat frame.

Most rigs appear to have no consideration for the knee joints of the user, and are very low to the floor. Right now, I have my wheel stand and monitor placed for use with a gaming chair on casters, The bottom of the seat plate is roughly 35-36cm (14"), and the wheel mount cross bar is about 70-71cm (28"), from the floor. The monitor table is slightly higher, so as to allow placing the monitor right behind the wheelbase (Hi, FOV police!).

The rear seat frame mounting brackets appear to be about 20cm (7.5") off the floor. That means that the pedal mounting plate is much higher, relative to the seat position, than my current position.

Given that my knees are as old as the rest of me, and arthritic to boot, The option of lowering the wheel and just running in more of an F1 position isn't practical. I'd need to rebuild my monitor table as well, which would be an additional pain. I feel more comfortable in more of a GT position, as it is configured now.

I could, I support, build a 15cm or so platform and place the entire wheel stand on that, which would raise it back up to the proper position relative to the monitor, but which would keep the high-mount pedal position.

I could try to build a 15cm riser for the seat, but it's not clear how solidly built the back seat frame is.

Has anyone encountered this situation, and done modifications to help with the seat height?

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

I have a follow-up question regarding the seat frame.

Most rigs appear to have no consideration for the knee joints of the user, and are very low to the floor. Right now, I have my wheel stand and monitor placed for use with a gaming chair on casters, The bottom of the seat plate is roughly 35-36cm (14"), and the wheel mount cross bar is about 70-71cm (28"), from the floor. The monitor table is slightly higher, so as to allow placing the monitor right behind the wheelbase (Hi, FOV police!).

The rear seat frame mounting brackets appear to be about 20cm (7.5") off the floor. That means that the pedal mounting plate is much higher, relative to the seat position, than my current position.

Given that my knees are as old as the rest of me, and arthritic to boot, The option of lowering the wheel and just running in more of an F1 position isn't practical. I'd need to rebuild my monitor table as well, which would be an additional pain. I feel more comfortable in more of a GT position, as it is configured now.

I could, I support, build a 15cm or so platform and place the entire wheel stand on that, which would raise it back up to the proper position relative to the monitor, but which would keep the high-mount pedal position.

I could try to build a 15cm riser for the seat, but it's not clear how solidly built the back seat frame is.

Has anyone encountered this situation, and done modifications to help with the seat height?

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.
I am in the same position that you are in too old to be getting in and out of a seating position that is so close to floor level. I am going to probably go with something along the lines of one of the GT Omega Prime cockpits later this year as I have had a case of upgradeitis lately.

My solution I think will be to make the rig equal the height of my normal office/gaming chair is build a platform on good quality lockable castor wheels for the rig to mount onto. As I have gotten older I have found castor wheels to be my friend as it is much easier to be able to turn a rack around to work on electronic hookup than it is to drag it out or try to get behind the rig and lay on the floor to service or upgrade anything.

I like you will not be going for an F1 seating position but more that of a normal sportscar just not as quite as close to the ground. That is my thought on it anyway.

I’ll add that the above completely standard Apex set up is the same height as my living room chairs. I’m sure you could easily fit spacers to raise it more so if you wanted to. No issue with lack of space for knees as there’s so much adjustment in the pedal plate.

Ok, just because my brain won't stop perking....

My seat frame and RS9 arrived, and it looks like the frame will be about 2 inches too long to fit where I need it to. I can tuck it into a corner, but will need to kind of angle it to be able to use it. This means I need to move it easily.

I would consider my options to be: make a box frame for the entire cockpit to sit on, with casters so I can wheel it out and then put it away, or, possible, just replace the leveling feet with screw-in casters to add mobility. According to the assembly instructions, it looks like there are 8 leveling feet once you attach the rear frame to the wheel stand. Is that correct?

Can I get anyone's opinion on how sturdy the frame would be on casters? I need to get some height added to the mix anyway, as per one of my previous questions, so elevating the entire frame a bit wouldn't be a bad thing.

Thanks for any feedback on this.

I'm also going to have to add in a 10-12cm riser on the top of the seat 'box' to get the whole thing to the point where I don't need help to get back out of it. :) I'm looking at that, too.

Cheers!

There’s lots of adjustability on where you can attach the seat frame to the wheel stand. Is it still too long on its shortest setting? I have long legs but still put it on it’s shortest setting to then have the luxury of being able to use the seat runners for on the fly adjustment.

As for casters, I couldn’t comment on stability. As long as they lock into place sturdy you really shouldn’t have any movement. Just make sure you get good quality ones. And yes, there are 8 feet when all put together. The whole thing is about 5cm taller when put together as opposed to just the wheel stand btw. Just in case you already didn’t know.

Thanks, as always, for the information. I'm about 178cm (5'10") with long legs, but I'm not concerned about my fit. The cockpit will be tucked in next to a large desk, and the fit will be tight. I'm basing my estimates on the dimensions on the product page on their website. 130cm (shortest) will just fit, and 140cm (longest) really won't. It looks like the seat back will extend further, as well, unless I move the slider forward all the way when storing the frame. My office is a small room, and anytime I look at arranging things in there, it's a bit of a testris game to make it all fit. :)

Oddly enough I’m the exact same height as you, also with long legs! I think your next best step is to just get the thing built up and to try out various positions. I’m sure you’ll get there in the end. It’s all very easy to put together and change around.

Interestingly, I just found a youtube review on the Apex stand/seat frame, and the reviewer had essentially the same concern I had, about the height of the seat. His position was that, since you wind up raising the wheel as you move it closer to your seated position, you can easily get to the point where your driving position resembles a toddler sitting in a real car, reaching up above their head to play with the steering wheel. :)

He mentioned that he fed that back to GT Omega, who may look to offer a riser option. I think I may make a 15-20cm box to attach to the frame, and then mount the seat bits to the top of that, to get the height I think I'll need. I'll try it stock, just to see if it's workable.

I'm still doing some 3-d printing on a few tidbits I think I'll need to set up the rig, so I haven't assembled it yet.

I'm going to rig a monitor setup that will be attached to the rig, most likely with a monitor arm on a mounting point to let me position the monitor in a manner that will satisfy the FOV police. If it works out as I expect it will, I'll post a picture. :)

I just finished assembling the seat frame, and I must say, most of my concerns about the internal setup of the rig were more paranoia than problem. The position is kind of car-like, where my desk chair was actually higher than one might find in a real drive. I had gotten used to it, but I'm not at all uncomfortable with the wheel and pedal positions.

I went out shopping for casters, because I really will need to move it around to coexist gracefully in my tiny room, and US casters all seem to have larger threaded bits, so I'm going to have to figure out a work-around. I may just put together a simple platform on which the rig can sit while casters attach to the bottom.

Aaron0288, thank you very much for your repeated and graceful feedback. It was much appreciated.

I do have a design done for building a platform to attach to the frame to integrate my monitor and reduce the clutter. Again, when I get it built, I'll post a picture.

This is a big step up. I'm happy I did the upgrade, and again, thanks for all the advice. :)

Cheers!

Back