GT Racing - GT1, GT3, Blancpain Endurance Series & National GT SeriesSports Cars 

The Mustang is now in NASCAR, Supercars and GT4. Any room for it in GT3? Can it coexist with the Ford GTLM?

Ford doesn't like doing customer things. Other people look after the GT4 production and upkeep. They only do things that suit them. The GTE gives them enough PR as it is and that's all they want for now. Ford is generally very closed door to GT racing, heck even touring cars. If it's something they can wave around because it looks good then they do it. Otherwise, no.

The Mustang is now in NASCAR, Supercars and GT4. Any room for it in GT3? Can it coexist with the Ford GTLM?
I would think not because they'll steal the spotlight from each other.
Besides that, the cost of running two parallel programs in GT3 would be prohibitive.

It would be nice to see & hear a GT3 Mustang roaring across the top of Mount Panorama one day :drool:

Ford doesn't like doing customer things. Other people look after the GT4 production and upkeep. They only do things that suit them. The GTE gives them enough PR as it is and that's all they want for now. Ford is generally very closed door to GT racing, heck even touring cars. If it's something they can wave around because it looks good then they do it. Otherwise, no.

I think a GT3 Mustang might be punching a bit above its weight... it's not really in the same playing field, street car wise, as the other competitors.

I would think not because they'll steal the spotlight from each other.
Besides that, the cost of running two parallel programs in GT3 would be prohibitive.

It would be nice to see & hear a GT3 Mustang roaring across the top of Mount Panorama one day :drool:

I got ya and understand Ford is Ford(especially about the reason Ford Australia decided to enter the Mustang). Not as a comparison, just asking, was the Cadillac and Corvette GT programs(if I'm correct, they were two separate teams), as well as the Calloway cars, a waste or beneficial?

The Cadillac was strictly a local racer, the Calloway is like the European racer and the P&M Corvette Racing did it all. Could that not work for the Mustang?

Just to add, the Z4(and M6), Jaguar and Bentley, aren't much a competitor on the street, next to the other GT cars.

@Pete05 I think the Camaro GT3 still races here in the older GT classes. Maybe someone does a one off that's not a MARC Cars Mustang. ;)

I got ya and understand Ford is Ford(especially about the reason Ford Australia decided to enter the Mustang). Not as a comparison, just asking, was the Cadillac and Corvette GT programs(if I'm correct, they were two separate teams), as well as the Calloway cars, a waste or beneficial?

The Cadillac was strictly a local racer, the Calloway is like the European racer and the P&M Corvette Racing did it all. Could that not work for the Mustang?

Just to add, the Z4(and M6), Jaguar and Bentley, aren't much a competitor on the street, next to the other GT cars.

@Pete05 I think the Camaro GT3 still races here in the older GT classes. Maybe someone does a one off that's not a MARC Cars Mustang. ;)
Yeah, can't think of the guy's name that has the Camaro here.

IIRC, he/the team bought two secondhand from a European team for the right price & they haven't looked remotely competitive, even when a Lowndes-type has a steer.

I mention Lowndes because I'm pretty sure they combined for the Hampton Downs enduro a couple of years ago & were seconds off the pace.

The cars were overweight & the BoP gave them horsepower to compensate.
Looked good on paper but the tyres weren't interested in more than a handful of laps.

I've said it before: Shebly GT500 - esque GT3 car to pair with the GT350 - esque GT4. Which requires bringing back the Shelby GT500, but I believe that's being worked on.

However, I agree with what's already been said. Ford is weird/probably not interested with customer GT stuff, which is unfortunate. It may depend on what happens when the GTE program is set to end after 2019. So there may be room in the future. ...Unless the very quiet DPi rumors are true, then I'm not sure.

Yeah, can't think of the guy's name that has the Camaro here.

IIRC, he/the team bought two secondhand from a European team for the right price & they haven't looked remotely competitive, even when a Lowndes-type has a steer.

Dale Patterson is running his Camaro GT3 again this year.

M Motorsport ran one a couple years ago as well but I don't know what happened to it.
But yes, they seemed to be pretty rubbish. LeBrocq was peddling the M Motorsport one at PI but didn't get anywhere notable (and he has been seriously quick in GT3 machinery). They sound good though :D

Heads up, the Nismo TV Youtube feed for the Blancpain races is unavailable in North America, it's Motor Trend's website or nothing, I'm assuming it'll be the same for the SRO channel as well. What a load of BS.

Finally caught up on Blancpain at Monza. Business as usual from last year, both the good and the kind - of - annoying.

If you enjoy watching race control decide the results by handing out trillions of penalties, then this is your series. I'm not sure if that says more about race control, or the drivers/teams. Kind of unfortunate, because there really were some great bits of racing. The field size is great (just about on the edge of being too full), and battles for the podium places came down to the final minutes.

Finally caught up on Blancpain at Monza. Business as usual from last year, both the good and the kind - of - annoying.

If you enjoy watching race control decide the results by handing out trillions of penalties, then this is your series. I'm not sure if that says more about race control, or the drivers/teams. Kind of unfortunate, because there really were some great bits of racing. The field size is great (just about on the edge of being too full), and battles for the podium places came down to the final minutes.

Just finished the race as well. Such a great race up until race control decided the race and ended the excitement... Kind of pissed me off. I felt robbed, I'm due Strakka felt the same. I still don't get why the decision.

*edit* I guess if the rule states must leave car width room, it was the right decision. But still, bit of a bummer

Last edited:
I think a GT3 Mustang might be punching a bit above its weight... it's not really in the same playing field, street car wise, as the other competitors.
The R8 and AMG GT race in GT4 with the Mustang. Are they punching below their weight then? :sly: (I honestly would prefer they not be there, but maybe that's just me)

I agree the AMG and R8 shouldn't be in GT4. That's supposed to represent the more entry level sports car in a manufacturer's range while GT3 is the flagship model. I'd prefer they work up either the TT or an RS sedan while AMG is a weird situation. Is Mercedes-Benz connected to the factory effort or is it just the AMG wing because AMG only makes one car under their name which is the GT while Merc can provide anything like an A45 or whatever the modern equivalent of the CLK series is now.

The R8 and AMG GT race in GT4 with the Mustang. Are they punching below their weight then? :sly: (I honestly would prefer they not be there, but maybe that's just me)

But they also race against the M4 and Cayman. I totally get why Audi and Mercedes (and Aston Martin to an extent) are running the same cars in both GT4 and GT3; in championships that run both classes at the same time (British GT, Blancpain Asia, etc) some teams will run both categories and paint the cars to look similar. Brand identity is still very much a thing, it's like the "junior" teams they used to run back in the day. Cut your teeth in the lower class and when you're ready, you move up to the full fat version of a car you're already used to.

I agree the AMG and R8 shouldn't be in GT4. That's supposed to represent the more entry level sports car in a manufacturer's range while GT3 is the flagship model. I'd prefer they work up either the TT or an RS sedan while AMG is a weird situation. Is Mercedes-Benz connected to the factory effort or is it just the AMG wing because AMG only makes one car under their name which is the GT while Merc can provide anything like an A45 or whatever the modern equivalent of the CLK series is now.
Mercedes could use the C-Class or E-Class Coupe.

When GT4 started the AM N24 was up against a TT , Mustang, Corvette, 350Z, Maserati, Z3, M3 and Lotus Eleven. I don't see an Aston Martin and Corvette(even though it wasn't a Z06) as entry level.

Maerati are still in. AMV8, etc.

On the flip side, aren't GT3 cars for entry level racers anyway? That's the point of Blancpain GTs.

I can't speak for others but I meant entry level as in when buying a car as a consumer.
I find it a bit tricky. Not with tour post, but the market. As notes below.
IMO GT3 and GT4 cars have evolved well beyond what most would people consider "Entry Level Racers".
The " entry"level" road going ports car, has also evolved. I understand you, but a 1.5L ND would be entry level to a person who never had a sports car. Then, a base 488, could be entry level as a wealthy person's first supercar. (Not being silly)Or would that wealthy person want to try an ND as their entry level sports car?

This is different to karts-Formula Ford-Formula 4-F3-F2-F1.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the GT4 Mustang, is moreso based on a 350R, than a GT. I don't know what trim the GT4 R8 is. The Cayman GT4 isn't a base model. Trying to remember if the AMG GT4 is the R variant.

When we look at GT3, the GT-R is the top spec NISMO version. I think the R8 maybe base model. Aston Martin will have new model coming, but use the AMV12 now. AMG GT is probably the R.

Entry level sports cars today, in my opinion, is more about a base model(GT-R base vs GT-R Nismo).
I would like to think a Mustang 350R, could match an R8 and AMG GT on the track.

I find it a bit tricky. Not with tour post, but the market. As notes below.

The " entry"level" road going ports car, has also evolved. I understand you, but a 1.5L ND would be entry level to a person who never had a sports car. Then, a base 488, could be entry level as a wealthy person's first supercar. (Not being silly)Or would that wealthy person want to try an ND as their entry level sports car?

This is different to karts-Formula Ford-Formula 4-F3-F2-F1.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the GT4 Mustang, is moreso based on a 350R, than a GT. I don't know what trim the GT4 R8 is. The Cayman GT4 isn't a base model. Trying to remember if the AMG GT4 is the R variant.

When we look at GT3, the GT-R is the top spec NISMO version. I think the R8 maybe base model. Aston Martin will have new model coming, but use the AMV12 now. AMG GT is probably the R.

Entry level sports cars today, in my opinion, is more about a base model(GT-R base vs GT-R Nismo).
I would like to think a Mustang 350R, could match an R8 and AMG GT on the track.
You're correct, the Mustang is the 350R, the R8 is based on the performance model, the AMG GT4 is based on the GTR, and the Camaro i based on the ZL1.

GT3 cars are much the same really. All based on the fastest version to take advantage of aero stuff/the fastest version is more likely what a more wealthy fan of motorsport would be likely to purchase.

The only "affordable" car any of these GT3 or GT4 cars are based on is the Toyota GT86 GT4 car and the 370Z thing.

About the punching above their weight. I'd pick the Bentley as the winner in that category. A behemoth of a GT car, that is able to run with the field.

Another was the GT3 Z4(albeit with a V8). XKR can get added to that list. Well, a Mustang GT3 may or will not ever happen, but I don't think it's a dud. Especially now that is a top level performing GT car.

Back