GT Racing - GT1, GT3, Blancpain Endurance Series & National GT SeriesSports Cars 

Any advice for a noob? So my enjoyment of GT7 has translated to me booking a ticket to go to the Silverstone 500 in early May. I'm going on the Sunday.

Is ear protection necessary? If so can you recommend any headsets?

Do you have any other tips? Thanks!
That's British GT right? If so that's GT3 cars. For me I've never needed any ear protection at Road Atlanta which has GT3 cars and prototypes. But then again my ears are conditioned to the noise after going for over 10 straight years.

Yeah GT3 cars aren't all that loud, I've been able to have conversations at normal speaking levels with them flying by a few feet away at Road America.

Still it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring a pair of those foam ear plugs just in case.

I find that sound isn’t really an issue when you’re at a circuit with a lot of wide open spaces. I haven’t personally been to Silverstone, but the difference between The Bend here in South Australia compared to a street circuit like Adelaide is night and day.

In 35 years of attending race meetings as a spectator, and a period of Flag Marshalling right at the track's edge, I can only think of one car that caused my ears pain.

At the first Melbourne Grand Prix at Albert Park in 1996, the Prost cars were noticeably louder than anything else.

I've attended historic race meetings that included cars from a time when unrestricted exhausts were common. Nothing came close to those Prosts.

The thing I find most annoying at modern meetings is the pops & bangs from electronic cuts for gear changes.

Yep it's the British GT, I can't wait. I will be taking plenty of pictures for sure. Thanks for the advice on ear protection, it sounds like it won't be needed but I will take some small foam ones just in case.

Mann Filter backing for the Triple 8 Merc for the Bathurst 12hr.

Triple-Eight-Bathurst-12-Hour-livery-breaks-cover-2.jpg

Yep it's the British GT, I can't wait. I will be taking plenty of pictures for sure. Thanks for the advice on ear protection, it sounds like it won't be needed but I will take some small foam ones just in case.
You won't use them, you won't want to diminish the wonderful sounds! Especially the AMG's! It's really not too loud unless you have very sensitive ears.
I've started watching motor racing live recently, British GT, GT Cup, Fun cup. All at Donington so far but hoping to go to Oulton park in July to watch the GT Cup. Also going watching the British GT season finale at Donington again.
It's really great seeing these cars in the flesh! You will love it! Don't know what it's like at Silverstone but at Donington you can wander round the whole track, inside and out, and see the action from every bit of the track.
I always find myself rooting for ABBA and RAM. Each car has it's own distinct style, you can tell that they are different beasts, the muscle of the AMG, the Lambo like a jet fighter, the nimble porsches. The best all-round performer seems to be the McLaren, but they don't really stand out to me, a bit less "personality" than some of the others. All awesome cars to watch though!
My wife comes with me, initially just beacuse I fancied it, but she enjoyed it a lot more than she thought she would. Anyone with even just a passing interest in cars will enjoy it.
Hope you like it, you'll have to come and report after you've been.

IMG_20211016_164549.jpg

Last edited:
Why T8, Man?! Looks too damn good!
You know, it’s funny, I don’t mind Triple 8 winning the 12 Hour because we can’t have these international teams showing up and beating us on our own turf. And the car looks like a winner to me.

I'd echo what's already been said. Unless you have a problem with being overly sensitive to noise it's really not that bad. I never bother and haven't really had a problem. I've slept track side at GT3 events so it can't be that bad! If you do find it gets a bit much there's plenty of wide open space at Silverstone to get away from it a bit.

I'd worry more about taking sturdy, comfortable footwear. To get the best out of it you're probably going to end up doing quite a bit of walking. Also, depending on what level you're at photography wise (in terms of equipment) you might find a lot of the catch fencing frustrating outside of the grandstands (I'm guessing most of the Grand Stands will be closed other than the ones at the Wing and the old pits).

Don't know what it's like at Silverstone but at Donington you can wander round the whole track, inside and out, and see the action from every bit of the track.
I personally find Donington a much nicer place to be, but in terms of accessibility they're pretty similar

Last edited:
Good day at Silverstone @rivermandrake?

I love that you asked! Unfortunately I couldn't go, I had a really bad cold (not covid) and needed to spend the weekend resting, I'm still getting over it.

I will definitely go to a race this year but I was gutted not to go to Silverstone, I could see on YouTube people were allowed to wander around the track whereas last year I believe there were some restrictions, probably covid related.

A friend of mine will be racing at Brands Hatch as part of an amateur league so I will be going to that in November at the very least, not quite McLaren's and AMG's though lol his team's car is the one in yellow

Attachments

• IMG-20220309-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20220309-WA0010.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 13
I love that you asked! Unfortunately I couldn't go, I had a really bad cold (not covid) and needed to spend the weekend resting, I'm still getting over it.

I will definitely go to a race this year but I was gutted not to go to Silverstone, I could see on YouTube people were allowed to wander around the track whereas last year I believe there were some restrictions, probably covid related.

A friend of mine will be racing at Brands Hatch as part of an amateur league so I will be going to that in November at the very least, not quite McLaren's and AMG's though lol his team's car is the one in yellow
That's a shame, funnily enough, after you posted about it I'd decided to go on the Sunday just for the race (Silverstone's pretty local to me), but came down with something fierce myself, so I was basically bedridden!

Honestly, if somewhere like Brands is feasible for you, you're going to have just as good a time there watching the GT's as you would Silverstone. There's a couple of weekends at Donny too I believe.

EnduroKa could be fun though!

Got to admit I'm finding it a little hard to be excited for the 12hr this year. I'm sure it'll end up being another fantastic race but I dunno. Just doesn't have the quite the same feel about it with only twenty odd cars and only one international team.

I fully expect Race Control to move heaven & earth to keep it as interesting as possible, including the good old Full Course Caution for the most minute reasons.

You'll have your cars that won't be able to resist going for the lead or running at close to the edge on pace, but you'll also have those playing turtle & they may end up with a pretty decent result.

Unfortunately, with only 20 cars starting, it could turn into a proper snooze fest with less than 10 circulating for the last few hours of the race.

Almost missed the start. The YouTube app on my new TV isn't showing correct times on live streams for some reason. The internal clock is correct though. 🤔

I missed the start too. My wife said, “You didn’t set your alarm.” I said, “Oh.”. Turn the tv on and whaddayaknow? An Ad is playing. Guess Ill be flipping back and forth from GT7 and the race. Hate Channel 7.

Turn the tv on and whaddayaknow? An Ad is playing. Guess Ill be flipping back and forth from GT7 and the race. Hate Channel 7

?

Who watches still local TV program in 2022 ? xD

I'm from germany and i stopped 10 years ago wasting my brain and time for that nonsens and commercial breakes every 10min :D

Since then my TV is plugged into my PC and i enjoy what i want to watch or play on it.

Last edited:
?

Who watches still local TV program in 2022 ? xD

I'm from germany and i stopped 10 years ago wasting my brain and time for that nonsens and commercial breakes every 10min :D

Since then my TV is plugged into my PC and i enjoy what i want to watch or play on it.

He's in Australia so I think those streams are blocked.

Anyone watching the Bathurst 12 hour? Interesting to hear Chaz Mostert and Davey Reynolds saying it was too dangerous and they should not have started

Seems to be raining pretty hard currently, at least near the pitlane.

And now we have a crash under the safety car... yikes.

Last edited:
Back