GT Sport Driver Coaching

• Thread starter RaceFace85
  • 260 comments

Here it is! A video of a lap, at last. And you´ll all think I´m a terrible driver and that is exactly what I am! :lol:
It felt like a good lap for me at least, but let´s see what you guys who are more experienced think I can improve in. Cheers! 👍

On this track in particular you have to absolutely abuse track limits. Your outside tire needs to be on the inside (but still on) any of the wide flat kerbing. Especially in those fast esses before the back straight.

Here's a semi-recent race on the first 2/3rds of the circuit in a Gr4 car. You can see how much more I abuse the limits.

Last edited:
On this track in particular you have to absolutely abuse track limits. Your outside tire needs to be on the inside (but still on) any of the wide flat kerbing. Especially in those fast esses before the back straight.

Really? I thought track limits were pretty strict in online racing, which is why I tried my hardest to keep it between the white lines! But thanks for the tip!

What about my driving? Do you think it's slow, maybe I can brake earlier or something? I mainly focus on smoothness and not doing anything stupid. :lol:

I picked the "expert" assist level because the others were just too intrusive and I felt genuinely quicker. Also AT because I'm not very used to driving on the DS4.

What about my driving? Do you think it's slow, maybe I can brake earlier or something? I mainly focus on smoothness and not doing anything stupid. :lol:

I picked the "expert" assist level because the others were just too intrusive and I felt genuinely quicker. Also AT because I'm not very used to driving on the DS4.
Your driving is nice and smooth, you have lots of room to carry more speed but that will come naturally as you gain comfort. I added a video clip above just how much you can abuse the limits.

Here's a semi-recent race on the first 2/3rds of the circuit in a Gr4 car. You can see how much more I abuse the limits.

Man, I wasn't aware you could cut that much! :lol:

That's ridiculous! And are you really quicker with no assists and MT?

That's ridiculous! And are you really quicker with no assists and MT?

Absolutely!!!! Well worth learning to drive without assists and with manual trans. Downshifting can help keep the front end planted while turning and you can upshift early to limit wheel spin.
It may take a while but once you get used to the manual driving with an auto will feel weird.

Absolutely!!!! Well worth learning to drive without assists and with manual trans. Downshifting can help keep the front end planted while turning and you can upshift early to limit wheel spin.
It may take a while but once you get used to the manual driving with an auto will feel weird.

I will surely have to try it out! The RC F felt very comfortable to me with the "expert" assist level though. Gr.4 cars are very grippy, I like them! :lol:

I'm going to run some more laps around Maggiore GP, no assists, MT, and abusing the track limits like a pro. :lol: I'll upload the video soon; since I have a day off tomorrow I'm gonna sleep late, haha!

After much work, here it is! A whole 5 laps at Maggiore, back to back to back to back to back, with your tips!
Couldn´t do 6 because I reached my limit and spun out, left it in at the end of the video. :lol:

All assists off, no cone marker, ABS weak, manual transmission. Can I go faster?

After much work, here it is! A whole 5 laps at Maggiore, back to back to back to back to back, with your tips!
Couldn´t do 6 because I reached my limit and spun out, left it in at the end of the video. :lol:

All assists off, no cone marker, ABS weak, manual transmission. Can I go faster?

Your racing line looks good but I think that full ABS is faster.
You brake too early or you release the brake too fast because you are off the brake many meters before you reach the apex.

2:04.836 is pretty decent, would have been 333rd on this daily race world leaderboard (it was Gr.4 RH like you did):
https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/rankings.php?sec=daily&eid=14608,14610,14609,

Looking better! 8 second improvement!! As others have mentioned you can leave ABS on full, it's quicker that way.

Here's one of my daily races from this week. It's Daily Race C in the Mustang. I think my lines are ok, but I need some assistance on becoming more consistent and a little bit faster. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Keith.

Here's one of my daily races from this week. It's Daily Race C in the Mustang. I think my lines are ok, but I need some assistance on becoming more consistent and a little bit faster. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Keith.

Braking needs to be improved. Sometimes, you brake more than you should or put random inputs. Best way is to start braking with a certain amount of pressure you need ( for example, in first corner you need to brake hard on full pressure, and then in other corners you need only about half pressure ), then gradually releasing once you start to approach corner exit/apex, basically trail braking.

Consistency can be improved by memorising certain track properly ( knowing where to brake, where to put throttle, what lines to use ). Try to practise these things more in time trial and once you get into to race, just be nicely focused and you will be fine.

I want to help GT Sport drivers to become faster drivers.
If you do not know how the "Aliens" get their Top 10 times and you are a few seconds off the leaderboard you are in the right thread here!

Upload a video of one lap to YouTube and I will tell you where and why you loose time and how you can improve your time.
It is important to see the gas and brake bars of the hud to give a meaningful feedback.

Also other drivers who are able to get Top 10 times are invited to help slower drivers!

Hi Christian
My lap video uploaded here. Still a few mistakes and I think I can bring my laptime down another second, but then still 3 seconds off the top! I have this problem on every track, am always about 3 seconds off the top. Any advice would be a big help.
Vielen Dank

Still a few mistakes
I'm not a top 10 driver, but you probably already know that you lose a huge amount of time when you're as wide of the apex as you are at 53/54 seconds (not directly because of the line, but because the worse line forces you to use a lower speed). The interesting question is how do you avoid this. I've sometimes done ~10 laps in a row of a track where I've been wide of a particular apex. Every time, I'm approaching it and am determined to nail it that time, but I miss it yet again and start swearing at myself for being so utterly useless. I'd be interested to try VR to see if that helps with it. I know you can establish turn in reference points and so on, but the difference between nailing it and losing significant time can be just an inch or two, so my feeling is that some people are just better able to accurately judge it time after time than other people, but of course, we can all improve with practice.

I'm not a top 10 driver, but you probably already know that you lose a huge amount of time when you're as wide of the apex as you are at 53/54 seconds (not directly because of the line, but because the worse line forces you to use a lower speed). The interesting question is how do you avoid this. I've sometimes done ~10 laps in a row of a track where I've been wide of a particular apex. Every time, I'm approaching it and am determined to nail it that time, but I miss it yet again and start swearing at myself for being so utterly useless. I'd be interested to try VR to see if that helps with it. I know you can establish turn in reference points and so on, but the difference between nailing it and losing significant time can be just an inch or two, so my feeling is that some people are just better able to accurately judge it time after time than other people, but of course, we can all improve with practice.
Thanks for your comment. Yeah I agree..I normally nail that apex to be honest, but as I said there were a few mistakes in this video that I'm aware of. I've now got my time down by almost a second off that and know I can get more, but I'd still say my best efforts will always be 2/3 seconds off the top ten. I'll concede that I'll never be as good, but I know there's room for improvement.

Hi Christian
My lap video uploaded here. Still a few mistakes and I think I can bring my laptime down another second, but then still 3 seconds off the top! I have this problem on every track, am always about 3 seconds off the top. Any advice would be a big help.
Vielen Dank

The main problem, that also many other drivers have is that you brake first and then you steer after you released the brake.
I explained that many times before how to brake to be faster.
You can also try to use the track width better at the wntry and the exit.

Here's a lap of myself at Suzuka in the W08, hope you can find tips and errors I make here. Thank you in advance :)

You could try to be earlier on the throttle to use the track width better.

Hi! Can’t believe I haven’t seen this thread at all. Very good idea!

Just a quick question, I’ve noticed a few posts here and there mentioning full ABS is quicker. I have always used default, so would it benefit me to use full ABS from now on? For every vehicle and track?

Hi! Can’t believe I haven’t seen this thread at all. Very good idea!

Just a quick question, I’ve noticed a few posts here and there mentioning full ABS is quicker. I have always used default, so would it benefit me to use full ABS from now on? For every vehicle and track?

Default ABS is full ABS. There is just full, weak and off.

The main problem, that also many other drivers have is that you brake first and then you steer after you released the brake.

So you think the key for me getting faster lap times would be trail braking more...and better track width? Anything else you can see I'm doing wrong?

You could try to be earlier on the throttle to use the track width better.
I try to be as much as aggressive, but whenever I try to be early on the throttle I get too much oversteer, at least in the W08. I always thought that my main problem was the braking, actually. Glad you told me that, now I know where can I improve. Leave you another demonstration of my driving, so I can learn more and work out my driving errors :) this is at bathurst, in a gr4 car
And this is at the nurburgring gp with the amg gt3

Thank you very much for your help, man :)

I try to be as much as aggressive, but whenever I try to be early on the throttle I get too much oversteer, at least in the W08. I always thought that my main problem was the braking, actually. Glad you told me that, now I know where can I improve. Leave you another demonstration of my driving, so I can learn more and work out my driving errors :) this is at bathurst, in a gr4 car
And this is at the nurburgring gp with the amg gt3

Thank you very much for your help, man :)

At Bathurst you are too late on the throttle and you don't use the track width when it's needed. You avoid the curbs but you can use them.

At Nürburgring GP you use the track much better but you also use the whole track width, when it's not needed. You don't need to drive completely to the left after the full throttle corner (ADVAN-Bogen) before the last chicane. This is just a detour, when you do this with a car that is much too slow for a fast corner. When a car is far under the grip limit with full throttle it is just slower to drive a longer way.

Hi @RaceFace85, are you able to see what I'm doing wrong here? I spent about 2 hours trying to perfect this one sector in Circuit Experience, but am still 0.15 off the number 1 time. That sort of gap is pretty consistent for every track and car combination, whatever I'm doing wrong basically just adds up, corner after corner, every time.

Hi @RaceFace85, are you able to see what I'm doing wrong here? I spent about 2 hours trying to perfect this one sector in Circuit Experience, but am still 0.15 off the number 1 time. That sort of gap is pretty consistent for every track and car combination, whatever I'm doing wrong basically just adds up, corner after corner, every time.

You have Logitech G29 pedals. That's the problem.

Back