GT Sport Driver Coaching

• Thread starter RaceFace85
  • 260 comments
Germany
Germany
RaceFace85
I want to help GT Sport drivers to become faster drivers.
If you do not know how the "Aliens" get their Top 10 times and you are a few seconds off the leaderboard you are in the right thread here!

Upload a video of one lap to YouTube and I will tell you where and why you loose time and how you can improve your time.
It is important to see the gas and brake bars of the hud to give a meaningful feedback.

Also other drivers who are able to get Top 10 times are invited to help slower drivers!

Last edited:
Hi there raceface!

I would like to get your general opinion about brake balance. I kind of know what needs to be done to get good laps and I sometimes get a top 10 time but as I test more different things I kind of get confusing results and then I'm not sure anymore.

For example one test for me is different FR cars at suzuka (lexus, mercedes etc. ) and I prefer positive brake balance +2 and +3 usually and I get 1:59.0 and could get under that too seeing the best sector times. However when I just turn the brake balance upside down and put it to - 4 I can get same times. I just alter my driving style and even if it feels weird I'm roughly as fast. I know there's at least low 1:58 possible with these cars so I'm wondering which way to lean to.

It depends on different tracks of course but I'm just wondering which is the absolute faster way in your opinion? Also, do you change your brake balance at different turns during a lap when you pursue best time possible?

My time is kind of limited and I'm generally slow learner so it would be nice to get your input or someone else's in which way to go here.

What a great idea!

It could be a tread where people share their know-how about tracks/car/breake balance.

Usually i'm about 1 sec slower than TOP 10... It's not bad, but i would try to enter in top 10 sometimes...

I use lot of time to praticse... i whatch always top 10 videos, but i can't fill up this gap...

We could every day post our settings about tracks/car/breake balance for daily races we usually are competitive.

For today these are mine:

- Autodrome Lago Maggiore - GP - GR3 - BMW M6 '16 - BB -3
- Autodrome Lago Maggiore - GP - GR4 - BMW M4 - BB -2
- Autodromo Nazionale Monza GR1 - Bugatti - BB -4

BB +2, BoP and stock setup. Managed a 6:39.257 including a 0.4 second penalty to scrub off before Galgenkopf as I ran wide at Brünnchen. I can do better than this but that's just a replay I just uploaded yesterday and maybe there are some huge errors in my driving that I'm not aware of. I think my main problems are braking, finding the correct apex and going on the throttle again :ouch:

EDIT: This is one of my better tracks tho, I have way bigger problems at others :lol:

What would be really useful is for some fast guy to share a fastest lap replay that we could all load as a ghost.

I can view and download the leaderboard replays, but these are only viewable replays, they aren't loadable as a ghost for me.

The only way I can learn is against my (or someone elses) ghost, or by racing and following a faster guy. Knowing that I'm losing 5 tenths as I cross the start line, which is one of the magical seconds by the first corner etc etc.

What would be really useful is for some fast guy to share a fastest lap replay that we could all load as a ghost.

I can view and download the leaderboard replays, but these are only viewable replays, they aren't loadable as a ghost for me.

The only way I can learn is against my (or someone elses) ghost, or by racing and following a faster guy. Knowing that I'm losing 5 tenths as I cross the start line, which is one of the magical seconds by the first corner etc etc.
I saw someone say on another thread yesterday that you could load the downloaded top 10 replays as a ghost, but I too always thought this wasn't possible? I meant to check last night....

^Yeh I saw that thread and logged on to look...

It would let me load saved ghosts from both the GTS profiles on my PS4, but nothing else.

I had a look in discovery and saw some 'fastest lap replays', but they were slower than I was doing, so I didn't try loading them.

Hi there raceface!

I would like to get your general opinion about brake balance. I kind of know what needs to be done to get good laps and I sometimes get a top 10 time but as I test more different things I kind of get confusing results and then I'm not sure anymore.

For example one test for me is different FR cars at suzuka (lexus, mercedes etc. ) and I prefer positive brake balance +2 and +3 usually and I get 1:59.0 and could get under that too seeing the best sector times. However when I just turn the brake balance upside down and put it to - 4 I can get same times. I just alter my driving style and even if it feels weird I'm roughly as fast. I know there's at least low 1:58 possible with these cars so I'm wondering which way to lean to.

It depends on different tracks of course but I'm just wondering which is the absolute faster way in your opinion? Also, do you change your brake balance at different turns during a lap when you pursue best time possible?

My time is kind of limited and I'm generally slow learner so it would be nice to get your input or someone else's in which way to go here.

I prefer using full ABS to get constant lap times.

For FR cars I often use BB 3 or 4.

Maybe you are faster with negative BB because the car brakes faster when there is more brake power in the front.

Maybe we can see the problem in a video.

@inri here's the replay. Citroen Gr. 4, RH, no BoP. This lap is pretty much 90% luck since the last time I did Alsace it was a 2:06. Now I did 2:01. Thanks for your help :)

BB +2, BoP and stock setup. Managed a 6:39.257 including a 0.4 second penalty to scrub off before Galgenkopf as I ran wide at Brünnchen. I can do better than this but that's just a replay I just uploaded yesterday and maybe there are some huge errors in my driving that I'm not aware of. I think my main problems are braking, finding the correct apex and going on the throttle again :ouch:

EDIT: This is one of my better tracks tho, I have way bigger problems at others :lol:

You know how to drive fast until you reach Aremberg. Until Aremberg you brake late and reduce the braking input slowly while steering without much understeering. I think you did a lot of restarts and know the first part of the track better than the rest.

At Aremberg you loose your focus in braking. This is a very long corner and it is important to brake late and reduce the braking input very slowly to prevent understeering.

From this point you let off the brake too fast in nearly every corner.

At Wehrseifen you hold your brake very long but you where just to fast at the entrance.

At Hohe Acht you accelerate before the Apex and end up with understeering.

I am sure that you are a few seconds faster when you are much more focused in braking. Slowly reduce the brake input until you reach the apex.

Brake balance 2 could be okay for the Nordschleife, for the other tracks with slower corners higher values will be better.

Last edited:
@inri here's the replay. Citroen Gr. 4, RH, no BoP. This lap is pretty much 90% luck since the last time I did Alsace it was a 2:06. Now I did 2:01. Thanks for your help :)

Your line is good and you use the brakes very good in the entrance but you still have understeering.

Maybe try to set the brake balance more to the rear.

I think you did a lot of restarts and know the first part of the track better than the rest
Two tbh as I crashed off in the first lap at the exit of Brünnchen and on the second lap I went wide at Hatzenbach and binned it :D

From this point you let off the brake too fast in nearly every corner.

At Wehrseifen you hold your brake very long but you where just to fast at the entrance.
Yeah I have trouble with braking from time to time as I either brake way too much or too less :boggled:

At Hohe Acht you accelerate before the Apex and end up with understeering.
I often find myself on the throttle to early and then running wide...

I am sure that you are a few seconds faster when you are much more focused in braking.
I think so, too. I just booted the PS and did the lap so I wasn't really in the flow of playing/driving at that point I guess :ouch:

Thanks for your input tho, I'll try working on my braking :cheers:

I have the same problems. At the end of the track I am always slower as at the first part.
I guess that's a common thing at the Nordschleife, you're getting slower as you're too afraid of messing it up and throwing everything away :lol:

Last edited:

my first big tip would be when you trail brake you can actually start using the throttle while you're still partly on the brakes, you tend to trail completely off and then start driving. lots of time can be found there i think.

lines:

1st corner after the big straight you had a little too much speed, i guess you already knew that since you were feathering the throttle out of it

at 55 seconds you don't need to lift, it's flat out. for the first sector you can get a sub 42 in gr4 and thats with bop on. i think you lost most of the time in the previous corner though.

next corner you took quite well

1:19 you can brake a little later and get on the power earlier if you go close to the apex, i like to do it right on the crest of the little hill when the car goes light

1:29 lots of time lost here, you do all of the braking before the corner when what you should do is start turning in on full throttle, stay on the inside and take as little speed off as possible. the corner will feel like its getting tighter before the exit but if you get it right you can carry tons of speed through it. its important to get this one right since there's a straight after it. a low 1:20 or high 1:19 second sector is possible with bop

hairpin: you missed the apex and went wide but it looks like a mistake. i seem to take a different line here to a lot of people in that i take off more speed on entry than usual, stay tight and point it straight towards the next corner on exit, lots of people carry a little more speed in and exit wide. you can take it either way but my way is better in a race since it works on worn tires

rest of the lap looks great, i use mph so i don't know how your cornering speed is but it looks good to my eyes + ears

my first big tip would be when you trail brake you can actually start using the throttle while you're still partly on the brakes, you tend to trail completely off and then start driving. lots of time can be found there i think.

lines:

1st corner after the big straight you had a little too much speed, i guess you already knew that since you were feathering the throttle out of it

at 55 seconds you don't need to lift, it's flat out. for the first sector you can get a sub 42 in gr4 and thats with bop on. i think you lost most of the time in the previous corner though.

next corner you took quite well

1:19 you can brake a little later and get on the power earlier if you go close to the apex, i like to do it right on the crest of the little hill when the car goes light

1:29 lots of time lost here, you do all of the braking before the corner when what you should do is start turning in on full throttle, stay on the inside and take as little speed off as possible. the corner will feel like its getting tighter before the exit but if you get it right you can carry tons of speed through it. its important to get this one right since there's a straight after it. a low 1:20 or high 1:19 second sector is possible with bop

hairpin: you missed the apex and went wide but it looks like a mistake. i seem to take a different line here to a lot of people in that i take off more speed on entry than usual, stay tight and point it straight towards the next corner on exit, lots of people carry a little more speed in and exit wide. you can take it either way but my way is better in a race since it works on worn tires

rest of the lap looks great, i use mph so i don't know how your cornering speed is but it looks good to my eyes + ears
Thank you once more! I'll apply those to Alsace and hopefully get comoetitive there as well :D

Curiosity killed the cat.. lol...

Just took the liberty of consulting your racing stats... UAUUUU! :)

upload_2018-3-20_15-24-43.png

I want to help GT Sport drivers to become faster drivers.
If you do not know how the "Aliens" get their Top 10 times and you are a few seconds off the leaderboard you are in the right thread here!

Upload a video of one lap to YouTube and I will tell you where and why you loose time and how you can improve your time.
It is important to see the gas and brake bars of the hud to give a meaningful feedback.

Also other drivers who are able to get Top 10 times are invited to help slower drivers!

I would love for you to follow me on track and give me live feedback. Could I book a 3 lap critique with you?

I like this post and thx all mates in advance.:bowdown:
From now on I will save my hot lap replay, rarely do that as they are not spectacular at all.:grumpy:
I come to a bottle neck that not much improvement in qualify and race pace recently.:banghead:
Glad to have someone give me some tips soon.:cheers:

Back