GT Sport Duel of the Week (Inactive)

Balance of Performance for Gr. [] Weekly Time Trials?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@Macboyilija menthoned me this topic earlier this week. Which was a nice surprise for me. I really miss time the trials in GTS like we had in GT5 and 6. I like this idea of comparing the cars in GTS together in this topic.
So I took the 3 bad boys for a spin today. Just 2 laps per car, not going for top times. But let the cars work and drive clean constant laps. Times speak for themselfs.

This are my toughts:

512bb - 2.21,224: Fast but very twisty. If you can behave yourself and drive neat racing lines. Only then the 512bb turnes out as a faster car then you think. And behaves predictable.

Countach - 2.21,064.: Fun car to drive but behaves very unpredictable. So I can't drive the car as consistant as I like. But surpisingly I set the fastest time with this Lambo.

Pantera - 2.23,356: I love this car. Almost immidiately the car gave me enough confidence to drive the car fast and consistent. But surprisingly the car wasn't as fast as the other students. But i'm sure there is more room to sqeeuze out a faster laptime if I drive more then 2 laps.

For me the winner is: Tomaso Pantera

I thought it was not about the fastest time in this contest ? And which car would you chose if time didn’t matter ?

"Welcome to the Duel of the Week thread! Every Monday I will name two cars that have about the same performance, and you can compare lap times, looks, performance etc, and then vote which car is better."

For your Vote as to what car you like the most no it doesn't matter what one was the fastest but for the time trials it does.

This has always been my understanding of it and you also don't have to compete in the TT to cast your vote.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Duel of the Week thread! Every Monday I will name two cars that have about the same performance, and you can compare lap times, looks, performance etc, and then vote which car is better.

For your Vote as to what car you like the most no it doesn't matter what one was the fastest but for the time trials it does.

This has always been my understanding of it and you also don't have to compete in the TT to cast your vote.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

If someone strolled in here, said they were a Ferrari fan, and voted for the 512 BB, we'd count it. Everyone has their own criteria. Mine just happens to be which one is the quickest, though I am definitely not shy to let people know which car I thought was the most fun, and I have given my vote to cars I straight up didn't like several times before too.

Like the angry jellybean the other week?

Didn't hate it, but there are definitely other cars I'd find more fun to drive. It's pretty much just a pragmatic car to drive, rather than a "have a good ol' time" car.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

👍:cheers:

I should have quoted it so it didn't appear like it was me saying that.

I have my time trials done already so I will post them and my vote when I get home early this morning.

I've driven all of these cars on controller before, but this was my first time driving them on the wheel. My past experience with the Pantera was enjoyable, but on the wheel it is even more composed. Compared to the other two, it was downright disappointing. I even found myself stabbing at the throttle in a couple corners, just trying to force it to rotate. It doesn't feel like a typical MR at all. Sure, it's consistent, but I expect to do at least some of my steering through throttle to balance it out. I had to adjust to it to avoid understeering in several corners.

The Ferrari 512BB was a ton of fun. I'd say it suits my driving style perfectly, except I feel like I might still have an easier time keeping the oversteer in check on the controller than on a wheel. Maybe that's something that will never change. Anyway, the car pretty much steers itself, which is great. It also outperforms the Pantera on the straights and the tight corners. Wide sweepers are a bit dicey, though.

The Countach has everything that makes the 512BB great, except I think I prefer the sound of the 512BB a little more. Anyway, aside from that, the Countach takes everything that makes the 512BB a blast, and adds to it. More HP, less weight, and closer gear ratios (at least it feels like they're closer. I haven't actually checked) provide improved performance all around. It will outrun it on the straights, and benefit from slightly-improved rear end grip in the corners, allowing the driver to attack a little aggressively. It still has the lift-off oversteer, so the car still effectively steers itself, but it's a little more predictable, making it easier to control.

LAP TIMES

Pantera - 2:22.182
512BB - 2:20.264
Countach - 2:19.571

This almost ended up being a tough decision, but I did a thing for the first time on a wheel, and you'll have to see the bonus footage at the end to see what that thing was. I used to do it on the controller all the time, but never managed it on a wheel when trying to do it intentionally. It made the difference between casting my vote for the car that was most fun or the fastest. My vote ended up going to the fastest anyway, but as you can see, not just because it was the fastest. So, for me, the Countach takes this one.

I will do the driving shortly. Review after that.

@Alpha Cipher: you ready this week ?

@terrordog1490: very nice video with the comments wel edited. Do you insert the ghost yourself with “load the ghost” option ? Always saw this but never used it. Will try this. And the drifting in the end was fun to watch ;)

Last edited:
I will do the driving shortly. Review after that.

@Alpha Cipher: you ready this week ?

@terrordog1490: very nice video with the comments wel edited. Do you insert the ghost yourself with “load the ghost” option ? Always saw this but never used it. Will try this. And the drifting in the end was fun to watch ;)
I'll try to review them in a bit. I'm pretty bad at Alsace (especially reverse) though so I might not get even a clean lap in :lol:

This week was a fun week with nice cars. I had to grind to be able to buy the Lambo but was it worth it ?

I started driving the DeTomaso Pantera. Very nice car with good sound. Cars feels very light in the steering. Also follows the input of the steering pretty good. In short: the cars drives in the direction you want. The brakes are not very good but also not very bad. Will see how the other cars behalve with braking. Also the car does not drift very long so you are able to step on to the gas pretty deep without letting the car drift. You think it will drift, but it does not immediately do so. So you can go way faster than you would think. That is probably also the reason why the car feels so fast, but looking at the laptimes is slower than everybody thought. I did not have an advantage with shifting though, since the manual shifts as fast as with the paddles. So I think I tend to go faster than others with this car because of that.

So pretty happy with my 2:21,390.

Stepping into the Ferrari 512BB now. Shifting with manual here is indeed faster than using the paddles. I would seem to have an advantage here compared to controller users or SW users without the manual shifter. I like the sound of the Ferrari way more than of the DeTomaso. Also the dashboard is much prettier. Looks are also important ! I immediately feel the car is much quicker on the gas. The difference is huge. That means the first corners I seem only to be able to drift. Just love this ! So much more tailhappy than the DeTomaso Pantera, so much more my kind of car. Difficult to set a good laptime since I enjoy drifting and playing around with it. Very clear that the Ferrari is less suitable for setting a good fast lap properly, whereas the DeTomaso Pantera is much more suited to go fast right away once you step into it. The Ferrari is very difficult to drive at its limits. So even if its faster in straight, it is not easy to set a (much) faster time. The manual shifting advantage is completely lost because of the lack of grip. Thus the cars are very comparible. I found it very hard to set a proper time and eventually could not manage to make a lap without making some or more mistakes. All because of the power and tailhappy back.

So my time after fighting hard was a somewhat disappointing 2:20,312.

Going to the garage now to spend Cr 1,8 million. I think the most expensive car I have ever bought. And just for the sake of the weeklys. Along the way going to Brandcentral I won my daily car which was not the Lambo but a Volkswagen Sambabus. Lambo is now being owned by Volkswagen so was this a good or bad sign ? So quickly back to the track !

First of all I noticed the great dashboard. Maybe as good as the Ferrari. But Ferrari has the better sporty meters. I also noticed right away the car is not as slippery as the Ferrari. It is pretty straight off and handels much better than the Ferrari in terms of grip. Not at all as tailhappy as the Ferrari but also way more faster than the DeTomaso Pantera. So after 2 corners I already new this would set the best time. I hate the brakes though. They feel much worse than those of the Ferrari. I think that the brakes are a very positive side of the Ferrari who clearly has the best brakes meaning you can brake a lot later than the rest. Back to the Lambo. I also noticed the 2nd gear in the Lambo is terrible. Too short in the high revs and at Alsace there are some corners where you miss a long 2nd gear. Strange nobody has noticed this. Although the tightest corner it proved useful keeping it in 2nd gear.

Enough playing around. Time to load the ghost of the 512BB. In my first lap with cold tyres I was already faster than the Ferrari. For my fastest lap in the Ferrari I needed about 6/7 laps. I noticed that the Lambo is S liding along its 4 wheels which means a complete different approach is needed for most (fast) corners. Sliding with all 4 wheels is pretty annoying since you cannot play with the gas and correct the drifts. Just give me grip or give me a nice oversteered car. But dont give me 4-wheel slides please. Do like the front end grip of the car. So mixed feelings with the Lambo. Definitely not worth the 1,8 million credits compared to the other 2. Will set a proper time now to see how it stands.

I managed to squeeze out a pretty good 2:18,046.

So a very nice duel this week with 3 pretty same but also different cars. The DeTomaso Pantera is clearly a straight forward fast car which would be easily the fastest if it had some more horsepower. The Lamborghini Countach has the same forwardness but no good brakes and slides over all of its 4 wheels. It sets the best time but is not my favorite car. It would be if it had better brakes. Maybe I should change the brakebalance ? If so, the Lambo would be my personal winner.

But since driving-fun is most important the winner for me is the Ferrari 512BB.

DeTomaso: 2:21,390
Ferrari: 2:20,312
Countach : 2:18,046

Last edited:
I didn't have a lot of time this week to work on this so here is my very Quick rundown.

The Ferrari is a handful to drive fast and its such a shame that most of your time is spent out of the throttle and not on the throttle.

512 BB - 2:21.735

The Lamborghini can be a handful too but it's much more controllable or should I say predictable. You can get a better feel for how the car will react while driving the wheels off of it. Oh it's also the fastest of the bunch.

Countach - 2:19.540

Pantera.
Its Underpowered compared to the other two car and has a lot of understeer but damn this thing stays planted on the road. The sound of that Ford GT40 engine in the back is music such sweet sweet music to my ears. It's sad they detuned this motor for the Pantera and didn't leave it tune at the GT40 spec.

Pantera- 2:22.585

If you were to put all three cars in front of me for real and tell me I could have one I would take the Pantera all day long.

It looks better and sounds better so the Pantera gets my vote.

I go for the 512 BB. I never got a clean lap on all these three, so I can't post a time. The Ferrari is the most playful of them all, and the most fun to drive. It's a pleasure to drive them all especially with heel-and-toe, but the Ferrari takes the cake

Last edited:

Thanks and sorry for the late reply. Looks like you already figured it out, but yeah. Save best lap replay, and then load ghost after switching cars. Ideally, with a more even matchup, I would switch back and forth trying to beat the ghost with the other car until I felt that I couldn't squeeze out anymore speed from whichever car ended up being slower.

I drove all three of the cars for this week. My favourite is the Ferrari, followed by the Lamborghini's (I might have added a spare Miura) and then the Pantera.
The laptimes are awefull, but i am tired and not really focused, so they will do.
1: countach 2:24.013
2: 512 BB 2:24.396
3: Pantera 2:26.583
4: Miura 2:27.409

The Miura time is the least meaningful, not that the other ones are.

Last edited:
Alright, time to wrap up last week's duel. I think the extension has gone on long enough this week. It was three epic Italian supercars battling it out in the French countryside. I can't say this for everyone, but I just loved the Ferrari so much. The Boxer 12's song is absolutely epic and it puts down laptimes only a few tenths off the Countach. If I really had to chose only one to drive for the rest of my life it would be the Ferrari hands down.

So that's a vote for the 512BB from your resident Ferrari fanboy.

Let's see what you guys had to say:
As such, my vote is for the Pantera.

DeTomaso Pantera!

But the Lamborghini was the fastest, so based on my rules and criteria, it wins this contest.

My pick is the Countach

For me the winner is: Tomaso Pantera

the Countach takes this one

the winner for me is the Ferrari 512BB.

It looks better and sounds better so the Pantera gets my vote.

I go for the 512 BB.

My favourite is the Ferrari.

A lot of messages to sift through this week, it was a popular one with the voters, that's for sure!

Pantera: 4
Ferrari: 4
Lambo: 3

This means that in the event of a tie, both cars are taken to Alsace once again for a one-lap shootout. The fastest is the duels' winner.

Both on Sports Soft, one lap only, traction control set to 3.

Ferrari: 2:22.305
De Tomaso: 2:23.045

The winner of last week's duel is the...

6278673269094614032_0.jpg

Ferrari 512 BB!

This was an interesting result. The Ferrari 512 wasn't necessarily the fastest of the group, but it won out because the Countach didn't receive enough votes for it to qualify in the final one-lap showdown. So the Ferrari wins the tiebreaker by virtue of being faster around the track. This is a well-deserved victory. The 512 is one of the greatest Ferrari road cars, so it certainly is worthy of top spot this week.

Let's see how our time trial went, will it mirror the same results?​

Last edited:
GT Sport Time Trial of the Week #9 - Results from Alsace

Alsace_-_Village.jpg

Coming hot off the heels of the Tomaso's victory, let's see how the three Italian Stallions held up in our time trials. I bet all my BlackJack money on the Ferrari, so let's see if it pays off?

untitled.png

Ferrari 512 BB

@RZQSPEED - 2:19.924
@terrordog1490 - 2:20.264
@Macboyilija - 2:20.312
@Rinsky - 2:21.735
@ThrasherDBS - 2:23.675

RZQSPEED takes pole position in our first time trial, let's see how it plays out in the next runs. The Ferrari seems to be posting solid times too, in addition to it being the best sounding and most pleasing car to look at of the group (in my opinion).

img_6828_5.jpg

Lamborghini Countach

@Macboyilija - 2:18.046
@RZQSPEED - 2:18.616

@Rinsky - 2:19.540
@Terrordog149- - 2:19.571
@ThrasherDBS - 2:20.116

My boy Macboy pulls the W on RZQSPEED in the second round. Overall, the Lamborghini posted faster times than the Ferrari in the duel's time trial for everyone involved. That must say great things about the old Lambo's performance then. Shame it didn't get more votes.

De_Tomaso_Pantera_GTS.jpg

De Tomaso Pantera

@Macboyilija - 2:21.390
@RZQSPEED - 2:21.549
@terrordog1490 - 2:22.184

@Rinsky - 2:22.585
@ThrasherDBS - 2:22.757

The De Tomaso Pantera is on average slower than both the Ferrari and Lamborghini, but you can't deny that it's a slick car. I saw one in person too, it was quite the experience!

That wraps up our time trial for last week. Please remember to post your time trials with the tags correctly for them to be counted. It's very important to make sure you do, so I know what kind of tires you were running. Gameplay videos like @terrordog1490 are acceptable as well.​

Last edited:
The suspense is killing me !
Sorry my flight was delayed, I got through the door and it was already dinner time so an evening in with the family was on the cards.

I’ll not open the can of worms that would be “I’d have voted for the Countach” haha. On to next week.

GT Sport Duel of the Week #10 - Racehorses

Continuing on our theme of horse-themed cars. We're returning back to Group 3 for a week. It's an exciting category with a lot of interesting matchups in the future, just as long as we space them enough between the road cars!

It's ten weeks into the thread, so I think we're about ready to bust out the title duel. You might have seen these two in the thread's banner in the OP. One car is a muscular FR competitor that has been crafted specifically for this game. The other is a sleek, competitive machine from the real world with an impressive list of wins. Also, one of them is my favourite car, while the other is the preferred choice of @ThrasherDBS. Let's see who agrees with who around here. Do you guys side with me or Thrasher, let's find out.

This week we have the...

5765180450803810320_0.jpg

Ferrari 458 Italia GT3

against mine and it's rival the...

5773624693260026904_0.jpg

Ford Mustang Gr.3

I've really been itching to see this duel get started. This is going to be a great one with dynamic handling differences and some interesting results that await us. You can probably already tell the votes are tied 1 to 1 right out of the gate, let's see whose racehorse pulls ahead!

So, are you Team Thrasher or Team Waffles?

Last edited:
GT Sport Time Trial of the Week #10 - Rivalry at the Seaside

Dragon_Trail.jpg

Alsace was a good example of a classic Formula One-esque circuit tucked away in the European Countryside. Now it's time to step up to a modern racing venue! Fan Favourite Dragon Trail - Seaside makes its debut in the thread with a battle between two modern racing machines. The 458 has a tendency to get upset through the undulations, so watch that and play nice with the throttle to take advantage of it's amazing acceleration. The Mustang should round the bends with less fuss, so make use of the handling advantage to make up time over the 458 GT3.
Time Trial Criteria:
Layout: Forwards
Tags: gtsduel, dotw010
Tire Compound: Racing Hard
Due Date: July 2nd, 2018
You guys know what to do, get out there and show this amazing track who's boss! I'm just hoping you do so in the 458, personally...​

Last edited:
Back