GT SPORT GEEZER CLUB

• Thread starter geezer1791
  • 4,879 comments
Excellent day of racing mate ! :)
You took some of the dogs in the class and made them fun.
It was indeed a ton o fun for me too. 👍👍 Re; BOOST - Sunday is your racing lobby Steve and if boost is a problem I'm ok with the decision to not use it. As was the case twice this morning,, I got knocked off the track and lost 20+ seconds trying to get back on the track, could see no chance of catching up I chose to bail. For me, driving laps by myself just to earn mileage points - nawww - I'd rather just watch and wait for the next race. With boost (even though there are negatives everyone is aware of) we have a chance to catch back up with the pack. Just my 2 cents on the subject of boost.

It was indeed a ton o fun for me too. 👍👍 Re; BOOST - Sunday is your racing lobby Steve and if boost is a problem I'm ok with the decision to not use it. As was the case twice this morning,, I got knocked off the track and lost 20+ seconds trying to get back on the track, could see no chance of catching up I chose to bail. For me, driving laps by myself just to earn mileage points - nawww - I'd rather just watch and wait for the next race. With boost (even though there are negatives everyone is aware of) we have a chance to catch back up with the pack. Just my 2 cents on the subject of boost.
Agree

Thanks JR and Reda and everyone else, is was indeed some good fun racing, I well enjoyed it :cheers: I did though just pick the cars, you guys did the rest :) . I have not yet watched the replays, gonna do that after typing this.

Boost.....Thanks John for your thoughts on it and a I do understand where you are coming from.

When choosing no boost when I started hosting is because I wanted something a bit different to Saturdays racing, although I do enjoy our Saturday races with weak boost. (Similar reason why we use RM tyres on a Sunday)

Personally this is how I look at it.
I like to try to pump out laps with consistent lap times, as this helps me improve my driving. When boost is on, all that goes out of the window and as Cory said, 'fastest lap isn't worth a poop' with boost on. The cars do act differently with boost, which is in the negatives as you say. I do not take so many chances with boost off, for example I think about my speed more into corners because if I go off I am not catching up. If there was only a handful of us racing putting boost on would be a benefit for us all to stay close together near the end of the race. With fields of 10 plus there will usually be someone to race and have a battle with. I have had some good battles over the weeks with different guys, watching the gaps as I am going around, trying hard not to make mistakes etc etc. Trying to race as I would in the real world.

However...I also believe in a democracy. I will not impose my will over others wishes. So I would like to take a vote, from the guys that usually race, including Digtater who joined us this week, as to weak boost or no boost. Enter your preference below and that is how we will race next Sunday. I love racing and the banter with you guys and whatever the outcome I still will. :cheers:

First off, thank you for the races. I had some fun battles but I have to say sorry for my piss poor performance in the pack racing. I normally do everything possible to extricate myself from that sort of racing but I kept finding myself boxed in with no way out. 1v1, no problem. 1v9=*GULP!*:lol:

I really hate making excuses but I'm in the later stages of emphysema. At best, I race with a nearly empty fuel tank but with contact early on, I was on my uppers by the 2nd race and could barely turn my wheel or press the pedals any more. I'm fine in flowing races at my own pace but if the action is fast and frantic, I have to bow out of any hard battling. Thinking about it now (bloody hindsight!), I should have quit while I was behind as I caused problems for people with trying to get out of their way.

I'd love to race with you guys again but I don't think I fit in with how you race each other. You guys race hard!:lol:

No hard feelings from me if that's the case.:cheers:

I've never been a fan of boost as closing speeds and brake markers can be very difficult to judge in quicker cars. Especially in a BoP'd car as I've got a sneaky suspicion it messes with handling characteristics too. Something definitely felt off with it.

In slower cars it can be good fun though. The N100-N200 sort of range.

Sorry to hear about your emphysema mate. Not sure how I haven't got it, have smoked **** loads for 50 years! And still going strong :)

Boost does mess up car characteristics for sure. I haven't watched replays yet but from what I saw you was ok, nothing to be sorry for. Hope you join us again. Its just about having a laugh and try to get some good racing in. I very rarely win but as long as I beat JR I am happy :lol:

well, everything has good and bad things about.

In my opinion the upside for boost is:
1- Back pack has more power so if you are cough in a accident you have the possibility do recover and even win the race.
2 - The race is more tight, the cars race more close and the position change is constant
3 - the frustration of being last is rewarded by having hyper boost and make the fast lap

The downside:
1 - if you are in the back pack you are constant punted of track and constantly you punt other people off track
2 - your effort to pass is not rewarded as you will be passed again by the same guy
3 - your driving is not really yours, the computer is you co-pilot

No Boost upside:

1 - You are on your own, your driving is what it is. (that should be on the downside :( )
2 - You can have good battles with other pilots and you get less punted off track even on the back of the pack
3 - the pack is more spread out so if you have a battle with someone mean that you are on the same level as the other person
4 - if you pass someone, hardly that person will pass you again, you move up.

No Boost downside

1 - If you are off track, bye, bye unless you are an excellent driver
2 - you got to be more careful with yourself and the other drivers (that should be on the upside)
3 - to play in front pack you have to be really good and if you win a race, you can be proud of your self (maybe on the upside also)

That been said, my vote is to keep boost on Wednesday and Saturdays and no boost on Sundays so I can see how I am doing with my driving.:cheers:

Concerning start grid here is my opinion:
As the "fastest first" do not work properly, this is what we should do:
With the "boost on" we should use "last race results"
With the "boost off" we should use " reverse grid"

I explain:
If the boost is on and we use "reverse grid" the fast guys will be on the back and being helped by the boost. That means they will pass no matter what, if they are impatient you will be punted off track. If we use the "last race results", they will go away and you can catch them using the power of boost.
If the boost is off and we use "last race results" the slowest guys will never have a chance. If we use "reverse grid" the fast guys will be on the back and they will have to work hard to pass with no boost and you'll have a chance to win.

my two cents:cheers:

Last edited:
First off, thank you for the races. I had some fun battles but I have to say sorry for my piss poor performance in the pack racing. I normally do everything possible to extricate myself from that sort of racing but I kept finding myself boxed in with no way out. 1v1, no problem. 1v9=*GULP!*:lol:

I really hate making excuses but I'm in the later stages of emphysema. At best, I race with a nearly empty fuel tank but with contact early on, I was on my uppers by the 2nd race and could barely turn my wheel or press the pedals any more. I'm fine in flowing races at my own pace but if the action is fast and frantic, I have to bow out of any hard battling. Thinking about it now (bloody hindsight!), I should have quit while I was behind as I caused problems for people with trying to get out of their way.

I'd love to race with you guys again but I don't think I fit in with how you race each other. You guys race hard!:lol:

No hard feelings from me if that's the case.:cheers:

I've never been a fan of boost as closing speeds and brake markers can be very difficult to judge in quicker cars. Especially in a BoP'd car as I've got a sneaky suspicion it messes with handling characteristics too. Something definitely felt off with it.

In slower cars it can be good fun though. The N100-N200 sort of range.

Sorry to hear about that. Hang in there...

As much as it pains me to say this
I think Steve might be on to something
8 drivers or less = no boost
9 + = boost

Thoughts ?

I hope the pain was not to bad :lol:

Those numbers sounds like a plan. Unless there is a clear opinion from others, that have not yet voiced their preference, we will try it on Sunday.

I also agree with Luiz about the starting grid.

With the "boost off" we should use " reverse grid" (obviously anyone who doesn't like to be out front can just let the others go by)

Now all I have to do is go and find the chariot/s for Sunday :cheers:

As much as it pains me to say this
I think Steve might be on to something
8 drivers or less = no boost
9 + = boost

Thoughts ?
Isn't it the other way around?
8 or less = boost
9 or more = no boost,
makes more sense, less people on track more spread they are.

Finally did my Icar Experience. This is the Laborghini Galardo that I drove, I loved it. Drive fast and brake hard.

I tried to upload the video but it tells me that it is too large

ICar.jpg

I hope the pain was not to bad :lol:

Those numbers sounds like a plan. Unless there is a clear opinion from others, that have not yet voiced their preference, we will try it on Sunday.

I also agree with Luiz about the starting grid.

With the "boost off" we should use " reverse grid" (obviously anyone who doesn't like to be out front can just let the others go by)

Now all I have to do is go and find the chariot/s for Sunday :cheers:
If we all really try to avoid contact and respect other drivers. Boost on or off does not make so big difference.

Finally did my Icar Experience. This is the Laborghini Galardo that I drove, I loved it. Drive fast and brake hard.

I tried to upload the video but it tells me that it is too large

View attachment 766936
WOW!! :gtpflag:Good for you Claude,, you know we're GREEN with envy don't you? :dopey: I bet it was a ton of fun to drive a car most of us will go to our grave without ever realizing a life long dream to drive a SuperCar, CONGRATULATIONS our friend and fellow Geezer 👍👍 ,,for putting a BIG check mark next to "Drive a Lamborghini" on your bucket list!! :bowdown:

Back