GT Sport Impressions

• Thread starter Corsa
  • 376 comments
I'm a big fan of Photo Travel too. The key limitation of Scapes is that you can't move the camera around inside them. That said, I prefer Scapes because it is incredibly rich in content. Over 1,000 Scapes! Photo Travel had such a small number of locations.

You can move the cars (up to 3, I think) around in the Scape. They reflect off each other, and the color of the reflected light affects the image.

A second big advantage of Scapes is that you can create motion blur, as though the car is moving through the Scape and past the camera. One nice detail is that if you turn the front wheels, the "motion" becomes a curve, and the blur reveals that "movement".

I was skeptical about Scapes, but having spent hours and hours with it, I'm a convert. I suspect you'll be very happy.

When I first heard about Scapes I thought it sounded really gimmicky. I just spent over an hour taking pics of one of my cars that my daughter helped design (yes, it's bright pink). I'm looking forward to the full version so I can upload my company logo and put it on some cars.
It would be really cool if you could create and upload some scapes too. I live by the mountains in colorado and I'd love to get some local scapes to drop my custom cars into and post it on FB for some advertising :P

As far as the AI it may not be perfect but I have never seen a better example that actually races and runs different lines and will actually push you to make a mistake trying to set up a pass or trade positions with you lap after lap corner after corner. Also the closer you are to running up front the faster the AI is which is how it should be. Even the AI back in 10th place will run you hard and make you work to pass they just are a bit slower than the guys at the front, again very realistic.

I noted this in another thread...

Notably in Mission 6-8, it seems as though there are 3 "packs". The first pack is the top 10, and they are very aggressive and will run you into a wall, off the road, nudge you, etc. The second pack is places 11-20. They are passive. They just drive their lines and don't really pay attention to what you are doing one way or the other. They last group is... not sure what you'd call them. They actually get out of your way when you are coming up on them. They are just there to take up space and pass.

I have two big issues with the AI at this point.
1) A simple bump sends you flying off the road. Not only is it very unrealistic, but it makes some of the races a lot harder than they should (ie 30 lap endurance race). Secondly, as I said above, the top 10 tend to do it a lot, making it that much harder to complete.
2) The AI only races against you. You don't see the AI aggressively fighting other AI for their spots, running other cars off the road, etc. No, it's a 29-1 battle. Again, very unrealistic, and makes things harder than they should...

I've probably spent 10 of the 14 hours playing just trying to beat 6-8 for the damn car!

Yeah I'm way more interested in the scapes than I thought I would be. It helps that there's so many and it's so effortless to take an amazing picture. After I'm fatigued from driving/racing I'll just browse other people's photos and listen to the music.

It'll be interesting to see if all Scapes remain unlocked after the full release or they get doled out piece meal like every other GT feature. I'm betting on the latter.

I had an awesome time playing the demo these past 4 days. Got all the cars even tho most of what I got was street cars, but good car types. The graphics are great, the gameplay was fun and challenging. It's a big step in a good direction. Yea I agree with everyone that they should have a GT Mode but hey, maybe they'll add one later. I enjoyed the demo and can't wait for the full game Monday night!

Yesterday my broadband internet dropped/crashed so I went off line on the PS4 network, a message came up saying you can now only play Arcade and Saves will up date when back online. I had access to most the game arcade etc being offline. (good news).

So it looks like we only lose 'all' features when they are updating the servers for maintenance or their end crashes. So far they have been putting a message in game and on twitter to let you know when they will be down.

I really hope they let you have access to your replays/aracde etc even when maintenance is being carried out in the full game! :indiff:

I hope to try and play some more tomorrow, especially the 30 lap mission, I am have difficulty with the line 6 missions but that is mainly due to unfamiliar tracks. But I am enjoying it for the most part.

Drive and finish the last Mission, 30 laps with the 911 RSR, you will see a pretty competitive AI :) (At least for the first or second try... I didn't drive at that track before, after memorise the track the AI is not hard enough).

The AI braking point is a lot better than in GT6. I'm happy to see some AI cars passing me at braking but GTS needs a Hardcore or Alien difficult in other to challenge hardcore gamers or good enough gamers levels.

IMO It will be good to add that hardcore/alien difficult option, one harder than "Professional". AI is better and harder than GT6 but many people need more that that.

Yesterday my broadband internet dropped/crashed so I went off line on the PS4 network, a message came up saying you can now only play Arcade and Saves will up date when back online. I had access to most the game arcade etc being offline. (good news).

So it looks like we only lose 'all' features when they are updating the servers for maintenance or their end crashes. So far they have been putting a message in game and on twitter to let you know when they will be down.

I really hope they let you have access to your replays/aracde etc even when maintenance is being carried out in the full game! :indiff:
I couldn't even play in arcade mode, everything was 'greyed' out except the reconnect option.

It must be a joke. Driving _simulator_ with fantasy neverexistent "Gr.B" cars, moving like a hovercraft on dirt. Visually it is top, but driving...
I am disappointed and sad that my favorite title, I spend hours and hours with, just watching the rare models I can't see IRL in my area, and more hours to drive them around tweaking the setup, developed to this. Sad.

I only played for two hours, but my god! This is such an improvement over GT6, which I absolutely loved by the way.

Graphics...... unbelievable. When I changed the color of a car in the dealership while it was driving, on a real freak'n road, my jaw was on the floor.

In game graphics are nice to. Some issues with textures loading etc but the really made it look like a whole. Love the environments.

The sounds are way better then before, so I'm really happy about that.

The physics are a bit different. Especially when cornering at low speeds. But it feels so GT like still. No game comes closed in just making it fun to drive a car.

From what I've seen, this is a great new iteration in the GT series!

p.s. Interlagos has never looked so good in a videogame

I only played for two hours, but my god! This is such an improvement over GT6, which I absolutely loved by the way.

Graphics...... unbelievable. When I changed the color of a car in the dealership while it was driving, on a real freak'n road, my jaw was on the floor.

In game graphics are nice to. Some issues with textures loading etc but the really made it look like a whole. Love the environments.

The sounds are way better then before, so I'm really happy about that.

The physics are a bit different. Especially when cornering at low speeds. But it feels so GT like still. No game comes closed in just making it fun to drive a car.

From what I've seen, this is a great new iteration in the GT series!

p.s. Interlagos has never looked so good in a videogame

Agree - I feel the driving experience sits between Project Cars and Drive Club. Sounds superb (especially with headphones), The whole GT user interface has a great feel. Im also using a T300RS and don't think the steering is too heavy. 👍 from me

Notably in Mission 6-8, it seems as though there are 3 "packs". The first pack is the top 10, and they are very aggressive and will run you into a wall, off the road, nudge you, etc. The second pack is places 11-20. They are passive. They just drive their lines and don't really pay attention to what you are doing one way or the other. They last group is... not sure what you'd call them. They actually get out of your way when you are coming up on them. They are just there to take up space and pass.

1) A simple bump sends you flying off the road. Not only is it very unrealistic, but it makes some of the races a lot harder than they should (ie 30 lap endurance race). Secondly, as I said above, the top 10 tend to do it a lot, making it that much harder to complete.
2) The AI only races against you. You don't see the AI aggressively fighting other AI for their spots, running other cars off the road, etc. No, it's a 29-1 battle. Again, very unrealistic, and makes things harder than they should...

I've probably spent 10 of the 14 hours playing just trying to beat 6-8 for the damn car!

I've run this event 3 times, and IMO it to do with the relative classes...

The Huracan, M6, and McLaren are the fastest AI's, and all fight hard - including between themselves. I've seen all of these cars fighting between themselves and overtaking each other multiple times.

Then there's a class with the Merc, Vipers (these may be the class above, but they aren't as quick as the other cars), a Beetle(!), a lesser McLaren and some other cars I don't remember. These are not quite as fast as the class above, don't get out of your way, and will race you when you try to overtake them.

The class below this move out of your way on the straights, but won't adjust their line to avoid you once they are in the corner.

Only major issue I had with AI is rubber banding... their lap times can go from 2'10's to 1.58's, depending if you're behind them of in front of them :lol:

For those who are having issues with heavy FFB on Thrustmaster wheels, make sure you turn it down to 1 and 1 and the most important part, countersteer assistance needs to be set to "weak". Do not choose "strong" because it feels like rubbish and isn't realistic at all. "Off" has way too much damper. "Weak" is the sweet spot, not only does it lighten up the wheel allowing you to feel more FFB effects, drifting and generally sliding the cars around feels much more natural and easier.

Make sure all other assists are off too except for ABS to your taste and adjust FOV in the "detailed settings" page.

I'm using a T300RS with the 599 Alcantara wheel so you're mileage may vary depending on what wheel base and wheel rim you're using but I'm pretty confident the "weak" setting will transform your GT Sport driving experience.

Alfa 4C is an absolute delight to chuck around sideways. I love this game.

Holy crap, that endurance mission. I was in second place, on the last lap, approaching the final corner and the car behind me tapped me and caused me to spin out. I dropped from 2nd to 8th just before hitting that last corner. Thank goodness I was able to get back on the track and finish for the bronze before any more cars passed me. I would have freaking exploded if I had to do it over again. That was my first try.

I must say, as a GT fan since the Ps1, I was disappointed in the offerings of GTS. The demo really changed my perspective. I got over 10 hours of enjoyment from the demo. Which is more than enough to change my mind from a might buy to a will buy. I just hope they do big updates ala GT5 and add much more content and proper campaign mode? Please? Pretty please?

I must say, as a GT fan since the Ps1, I was disappointed in the offerings of GTS. The demo really changed my perspective. I got over 10 hours of enjoyment from the demo. Which is more than enough to change my mind from a might buy to a will buy. I just hope they do big updates ala GT5 and add much more content and proper campaign mode? Please? Pretty please?
I'll echo that, so far I've got around 155 hours into the game - that's more than I've put in on other full price games I've played, by quite some margin in a few cases. So, the decision to buy is a no-brainer.

Unplayable? how so? I'm playing it just fine so explain this mythical unplayability

Probably you are playing with PC. It was properly tested, but PS4 version wasn't. There are tons of threads in the official pCARS2 forum about this subject. Also there was problems with the Thrustmaster wheel, that I use in my PS4 Pro.

Yesterday came patch 2.0 and they have fixed a lot of bugs. Not all, but we are going to good direction. Now I can play pCARS2. I played many hours yestarday - both games (GT Sport and pCARS2). Also finally the UDP works on PS4. So now I can enjoy both games.

Hello....
does anyone know why they did not put the car horn button in this GTS? till GT6 there was and it was nice to use in overtaking !!!

Another thing: in the race post you can not see the best times of each driver but only the breaks at the end of the race (there is only the indication of the best lap)

You can hit the wall with 150 km/h and earn 5 scratches on front bumper and even they say we have damage model. LOL

And example how should real sim race look like

Last edited:
In my opinion: stupid game. What they did is remove the fun stuff and add even more enerving and boring challenges, missions and license tests. These 3 modes all feel the same to me. The racing itself isn't interesting too because of the lack of a decent carlist... I was in doubt of buying GT Sport, just because I did so with every other GT game but after the demo I'm sure not to.

I’ve already got my impressions with the closed beta and now the demo, and with its limited track, modern car-centric, e-sports on-line focus, GTS has heavy competition from other games for my time. This game has always presented well, but I need more than just a pretty face.

Where do you live? :-) I'm in Colorado in the mountains and I can usually download around 3 megabytes per second and this seems to work fine
I live in Massachusetts, so I should be on the American server.

I was able to get online yesterday. I still had some issues with the online save, but other than that, everything seemd to work properly. I have no clue what happened on Tuesday, especially since I was able to get on Rocket League and play some matches.

Last edited:

I have to agree that in mission 6-8 it is like the AI is programmed for that challenge to make it very hard to win gold in the event resorting to knocking you off the track if you make even the slightest mistake.

I have spent a lot of time doing the custom races and in those the AI do not exhibit the same take you out at all cost mindsets but instead race you hard but clean all through the race. The top 2 AI places will pretty much match your pace and keep things a race all the way to the end.

There is a different mindset to the AI which makes it better in the custom races. Several times I thought the AI had punted me but went back and watched the replay and it was my fault as cutting back over into the AI car which was in my blindspot that I thought I had cleared. Again at the time I would have sworn I was intentionally punted.

I agree with the 3 different pack of AI cars and the aggressive nature of each. Again AI is not human racers but it is the most realistic I have ever seen in a game and adds a lot to the experience from a positive aspect concerning the racing. I hope to meet some of you guys and play online when the full version comes out.

Sounds great, and from what I had seen of it online I don't have any doubt I'll love it and spend countless hours in it down the line! :)

However I was just wondering if we still had the option of Photo Travel mode, but it isn't so, right?

Photo Travel mode is essentially replaced by Scapes. However, in a sense, you can think of it as a kind of Travel mode.

Many of the locations have quite a few Scapes, so when you look at that set of Scapes (e.g. Devil's Causeway) , it's a bit like a Travel Mode with, say, half a dozen or so predefined camera spots at each location. Ever been to one of those famous locations for getting the perfect shot and there are literally tripod marks on the ground? In Scapes, you get to use the experts' tripod holes. From those points, you can zoom in, pan, rotate, change shutter speed, three focusing options including one locked on an object. Then there's a boatload of "effects", including a thing like Photoshop's Layer Masking function. These can be used in combinations with user-defined % strengths.

You can search for Scapes under a wide range of quite detailed criteria. Geography, time of day, city vs coast, race track, too numerous to cover. The search facility is a welcome tool.

And here's probably the biggest, and most welcome surprise. You can select a saved Scape photo and be taken back from that photo to the exact Scape, with your camera framed the exact same way, same focal length, f-stop, shutter speed, same placement of cars, same post processing effects. Everything set up exactly as you had it when you pressed the shutter button! This is awesome!! It's a giant leap beyond Photo Travel. If I get a good setup in Photo Travel, I can never reconstruct exactly what I did.

So in a year's time, when someone asks "how did you do that?", you can provide an exact answer. And if you decide that it could be improved upon by a slight reframing, nudge that car a touch, intensify the contrast, add a wee bit of desaturation of the background, etc, you can do it, saving as many new versions as you like.

Here's an example, a simple one. I was looking at what others have done with Scapes, and found one I really liked. Simple desert scene, beautiful light, just gorgeous. Except the framing was a little "off". The back of the car was cropped off. Not as though it was intentional, just an accident. Had I known about this function, and this was my photo, I could have fixed it in seconds. It may even be possible to download his Scape photo and work on it on my PS4.

Imagine this capability in the real world. You travel and take many photos. A year later, you'd like to go back to that same spot and take almost exactly the same photo, just with a slightly wider angle lens. Same time of day, season, weather etc. Same people and cars. Same puddles. Maybe with the highlights not so hot. Done!

Back