GT Sport Impressions

• Thread starter Corsa
  • 376 comments
I couldn’t have cared less about this game until a day or so ago. After reading the impressions from beta players this game is a must buy for me now. As an offline player only it sounds like GTS provides an exciting, challenging,solid and complete (imo) offline experience and I’m very excited about the custom race mode which will probably be my go to part of the game.
I’ll even check out online which I practically never do, because I think it has the potential to be something quite special if it all works out.

Erm. Going to pee on your chips mate! Your statement is the other way round. For offline read online. Most of the game is online with a relatively cursory offline (Arcade mode really). the Online is actually quite enertaining, but single player involvement is minimal. What there is has been very well put together and will keep you going for a while, but complete it isn't (...yet. Bear in mind there will be free DLC so things will change). There is NO offline career mode. The 'career mode' is online (game also saves to online so you're out of luck if the connection goes down) and very much just a string of one off license tests. After that if you want cash and fun you have custom races with varied difficulty and decent reward for difficult and clean racing. The same applies to online modes so you won't be without something to do, but for straight forward kick back AI driving bashing you only have the arcade and no (as of yet) offline career. It's still a good game with things to do offline, but not what you are expecting. It's still worth looking onto, maybe when prices drop and some DLC drops, but for now you still get an interesting and fairly enjoyable (and graciously idiot proof) game that is challenging, but helpful. It's also one of the few games where buying the basic is a genuine option (some games go out of their way to encourage you to by the specials yet here you get less garnish, but just as much game)

Last edited:
I thought there would only be fully modeled cars in GTS? I got a Mitsubishi Concept XR-PHEV Evoluion and it's got no interior view.

Just out of curiosity has anyone found out how much (credits wise) you're getting on a solid race? (arcade or custom)

I couldn’t have cared less about this game until a day or so ago. After reading the impressions from beta players this game is a must buy for me now. As an offline player only it sounds like GTS provides an exciting, challenging,solid and complete (imo) offline experience and I’m very excited about the custom race mode which will probably be my go to part of the game.
I’ll even check out online which I practically never do, because I think it has the potential to be something quite special if it all works out.

I'm somewhat in the same boat here, I don't have PSN+ since I already have XBox Gold and all my multiplayer games are there. But I really enjoyed the GT:S demo as well and it grows more and more on you with each day that passes.

Even today I tried time trials for the first time and seriously, this is absolutely how time trials should be done! I couldn't care less how my times compare to other players since that is not what I'm interested in (but what every other game seems to show you). The only thing that I really want to see is how my times compare with different cars I drive and that is absolutely done amazing in GT:Sport. Just look at this example from filling my overall personal leaderboard quickly on that little oval track:

attachment.php

I'm somewhat in the same boat here, I don't have PSN+ since I already have XBox Gold and all my multiplayer games are there. But I really enjoyed the GT:S demo as well and it grows more and more on you with each day that passes.

Even today I tried time trials for the first time and seriously, this is absolutely how time trials should be done! I couldn't care less how my times compare to other players since that is not what I'm interested in (but what every other game seems to show you). The only thing that I really want to see is how my times compare with different cars I drive and that is absolutely done amazing in GT:Sport. Just look at this example from filling my overall personal leaderboard quickly on that little oval track:

attachment.php

I agree, that's a very nice tool.
I have 3 or 4 college ruled notebooks full of old handwritten lap times from old GTs.

I cannot stand however, all the ghosting online, it makes things feel for lack of a better word.. Fake. Is there a way to turn it off?

Thanks for a very detailed answer good sir! My worries are officially in the wind! :D

You are very welcome. It's nice to meet another person who's passionate about photography.

The more I dig into this Scapes thing, the more tricks I find.

The latest is that there's an "advanced setting" which you can use to control the brightness of the lights on the cars. One slider controls the lot. This is brilliant, since some Scapes are in full sun, others in shadow, still others in artificial light and so on. Often, I want to tone down the intensity so it's more subtle. This does it! Thankfully, Kaz is a true photo artist and is giving us the tools we need.

BTW, and others have said this too, if you choose to "view" your current car or one in the shop, it gets driven through Scapes! Wait till you try this!!

I thought there would only be fully modeled cars in GTS? I got a Mitsubishi Concept XR-PHEV Evoluion and it's got no interior view.

Some manufacturer didn't provide them interior models of VGT cars. PD should have created their own version instead.

Well my impressions of the demo was that it is quite polished for a Polyphony Digital GT game, normally they are stripped down and littered with bugs at launch of lately.

Though saying this, I am not interested in purchasing GT Sport. I don't like the online only/game majority, I'd prefer the career mode of the previous GT's. Online multiplayer is fine, but sorry I prefer a game session where I'm in control without other 🤬 ruining your time. To me playing video games is a leisure activity and used to unwind from the day (off putting up with :censored:s).

Plus connection issues are a pain when all you want to do is some laps, you have to wait for others to join and while all is going good, the connection can drop at anytime. This was prevalent for me whilst trying the demo, I got into one race where we all put down our qualifying lap times. Then it was time to race - we where left just sitting on the grid reving with no race start!

Considering this and the ability to play Xbox games on Windows 10 now - I'm going to have a look into Forza 7 for my racing fix or alternative racing games for the Sony. Saying this if latter on Polyphony add an offline mode to GT Sport (I think unlikely), I will more happily return to the world of Granturismo as they look to be returning to the polished glory days of <GT4.:gtpflag:

Just out of curiosity has anyone found out how much (credits wise) you're getting on a solid race? (arcade or custom)

What do you mean by solid?

For playing an intermediate difficulty with similar cars the default for the custom (arcade mode) is just over 8k for a 2 lap race on Dragon Trail. Take the boost off, add a lap and 9 more cars and you get about 15k iirc. If you set difficulty (which adjust the handling and assists for your car as well) to pro and you get about 22k-25k with the same category of cars. You'd still make over 20k if you drop to one make or add boost (catch up). If you really start to play with things you can nearly double (and more) that amount by going to endurace (10 minutes adds another 2k to the default pot) and more again if you compete against higher class of car. Also add a clean race bonus for good driving and for a 'solid' intermediate difficulty about 40k-50k for a 30 minute (or 8-10 lap) race is very doable. The most you 'could' (I'd love to see this done) get in custom races is about 2 million and change for an N100 car against Gr1 cars in a 24 hour race with no boost assist and expert difficulty.

As for the straight arcade races you're talking about 20k -25k on pro and about 8k to 15k on intermediate. Easy equals to about 3k - 6k.

LMP1 cars at Tokyo drive like a Ridge Racer or some arcade racer , i don't know but the changes of directions don't feel realistic at all , they seems to be F1 cars . I guess that they are better at simulating road cars handling .
SONY didn't give a .... about the game though , was it at E3 or something ?
Stock tune on LMP1 is very soft on the springs and dampers. The porsche for example that i have tested is very good at low and medium speed. At 340 kmh of course the car is botoming even on straight line. The veyron X also and some others need a much stronger suspension for the downforce not lowering the car so much. Let s see day 17 if we could counter this bad behaviors with some tuning.

Erm. Going to pee on your chips mate! Your statement is the other way round. For offline read online. Most of the game is online with a relatively cursory offline (Arcade mode really). the Online is actually quite enertaining, but single player involvement is minimal. What there is has been very well put together and will keep you going for a while, but complete it isn't (...yet. Bear in mind there will be free DLC so things will change). There is NO offline career mode. The 'career mode' is online (game also saves to online so you're out of luck if the connection goes down) and very much just a string of one off license tests. After that if you want cash and fun you have custom races with varied difficulty and decent reward for difficult and clean racing. The same applies to online modes so you won't be without something to do, but for straight forward kick back AI driving bashing you only have the arcade and no (as of yet) offline career. It's still a good game with things to do offline, but not what you are expecting. It's still worth looking onto, maybe when prices drop and some DLC drops, but for now you still get an interesting and fairly enjoyable (and graciously idiot proof) game that is challenging, but helpful. It's also one of the few games where buying the basic is a genuine option (some games go out of their way to encourage you to by the specials yet here you get less garnish, but just as much game)
The offline modes are absolutely enough for me. We are different players, you put value in a career mode offline, I don’t. Everything I have read (hours and hours worth) regarding offline modes assures me that it is everything that I want and need i.e. custom races and time trials ( the missions will be great too). Custom races are mostly where it’s at for me.
Kaz stated that something like 85% of GTS is offline and that appears to be the case.
In Project Cars 95% of my hundreds of hours of time I spent were in offline single race, I pretty much ignored career mode.
Same with Driveclub, just about every second I spent was offline even though initially it was pushed as an online game (not so for me and many many others as it turned out).
So custom races in GTS are absolutely great for me and will result in limitless replayability alongside all the other modes. The fact that it still counts towards my profile and I can still earn $ is the icing on the cake really.
So you are not peeing on my chips, :) I know what I will be getting and I couldn’t be happier 👍 and as I stated, I’ll more than likely try online and may end up loving it too! :cheers:

The offline modes are absolutely enough for me. We are different players, you put value in a career mode offline, I don’t. Everything I have read (hours and hours worth) regarding offline modes assures me that it is everything that I want and need i.e. custom races and time trials ( the missions will be great too). Custom races are mostly where it’s at for me.
Kaz stated that something like 85% of GTS is offline and that appears to be the case.
In Project Cars 95% of my hundreds of hours of time I spent were in offline single race, I pretty much ignored career mode.
Same with Driveclub, just about every second I spent was offline even though initially it was pushed as an online game (not so for me and many many others as it turned out).
So custom races in GTS are absolutely great for me and will result in limitless replayability alongside all the other modes. The fact that it still counts towards my profile and I can still earn $ is the icing on the cake really.
So you are not peeing on my chips, :) I know what I will be getting and I couldn’t be happier 👍 and as I stated, I’ll more than likely try online and may end up loving it too! :cheers:

I agree, the only thing really not there is the scripted race weekends sending you to a particular track with accumulating points for a simulated season of races. I prefer to totally learn the ins and outs of a particular track and car combination before moving on to the next track so a season would always take me to long and I would lose interest in it. For me the lap times and being able to maintain them consistently is my enjoyment.

I also like learning about performance falloff and handling as tires wear and also at what points the difference compounds affect both the lap times and longevity. I like longer races that include a pit strategy and consistent lap times are more important than just a couple hang it over the edge fast laps.

I do miss the upgrades for the cars where you picked different parts and levels of upgrades, sort of gave you a reason to earn cash to get the newer bigger brakes or maybe the lighter magnesium wheels.

But overall I do like what I have seen so far. Hopefully we will see some good online private leagues surface that will have clean racing and have a player able to find the type or class of cars they like to race along with the types of races.

1st impression,

No proper "Hood"/ "Bonnet" view
instead the same old Mr. Bean-On-his-lounge-chair-on-the-roof-view...

but the handling and FFB feels very natural
No need for 100 different FFB options. it just feels right. Pcars... take note.
the only better game for FFB I feel I've played is F1 2017, it has enough options to tweak the feel of each area on and off the track, but not too many that a casual gamer can't just pick up and play

Well after canceling my pre order I played the demo and am on the fence. It was better then expected for sure.

I thought the physics felt pretty good and I like the hud and track design. Wish it had more SP content though. I cant imagine playing it nonstop online with all the kids ramming you every corner lap after lap.

Something is up with the counter steering though seems very difficult to hold car on the edge on throttle. The rally driving is also terrible and I have no idea why they even bothered with it.

You are very welcome. It's nice to meet another person who's passionate about photography.

The more I dig into this Scapes thing, the more tricks I find.

The latest is that there's an "advanced setting" which you can use to control the brightness of the lights on the cars. One slider controls the lot. This is brilliant, since some Scapes are in full sun, others in shadow, still others in artificial light and so on. Often, I want to tone down the intensity so it's more subtle. This does it! Thankfully, Kaz is a true photo artist and is giving us the tools we need.

BTW, and others have said this too, if you choose to "view" your current car or one in the shop, it gets driven through Scapes! Wait till you try this!!

I'm actually a photographer, hence my love for photo modes in games :P. In GT6 I probably spent 30-40% of my time messing around in Photo Travel and Race Photo Mode, which is maybe the reason I'm no elite driver, although I know my way around a track :).

Saw some videos of those "video scapes" and holy feces that looks unreal! Or .. well .. actually real, it's mindblowing!

Still travelling, but with the 24hr extension on the demo I might get a couple hours peak on the demo tonight before it ends, was quite happy to see those news :D.

Feel free to add me on PSN, I'm Guffaluff there as well :). That way we can browse each other's GTS shots later on :D

You may have turned it back on by accident- if you have control mapped for the MFD, it allows you to adjust TC settings on the fly (as well as brake balance). If it's off, the light should not be flashing.

TC always turned off. Using a controller.

1st impression,

No proper "Hood"/ "Bonnet" view
instead the same old Mr. Bean-On-his-lounge-chair-on-the-roof-view...

but the handling and FFB feels very natural
No need for 100 different FFB options. it just feels right. Pcars... take note.
the only better game for FFB I feel I've played is F1 2017, it has enough options to tweak the feel of each area on and off the track, but not too many that a casual gamer can't just pick up and play

Definitely agree with the hood view, looks like I'm flying a drone above the car.

Don't agree with the FFB options, PC2 options give the perfect balance of adjustments.

Just did a couple arcade races with the Alfa 4C on CS tires and oh man, the feeling is back. :):)

After playing the beta I was incredibly concerned the handling was going to be a nightmare. Thank you!!!!

Played demo with my PS4 original and everything looks good, framerate seems on my eyes rock solid 60fps but still thinking to get Pro next week. Have you tried demo with both versions of console and what's your opinion is GTSport worth it?

It's great but since there are only three daily events I'm worried it'll the lack of scenarios will get boring fast. Not to mention there exclusively being open lobbies.

Damn after years of AC with pad returning on GT was a bit shocking :boggled::eek:, the default sensibility seems to be to much low, need to put it on 7 for gave me the feel of GT5/GT6; anyway despite some weird things when you want to countersteer :confused: and other strange physical things i think that the boosted photomode and new livery mode gave to Gt more life; comparing the game's physics like some players do with AC/ Iracing /Rfactor o whatever have no sense, Fm7 is the only competitor on simil physics and people target, or maybe PC 2, but i think Gt sport don't need to have negative words on that side.
The biggest weak side for now is the low count of cars and maybe a not full offline career, but i think that in the next months they will put a lot of contents, at least i hope :gtpflag:

The presentation is all very slick & polished, as you'd expect for Gran Turismo, & I'm really quite blown away with the Dynamic Scenes; I've not come across that technology before & really like the way that PD have implemented it. However, the game itself isn't drawing me in & making me want to play it. If I want to race online I can always do that in GT6 without having to pay Sony £50 for the pleasure of using my own internet, & there are loads more cars & tracks. The slight graphical upgrade is no reason for me to part with another £50, as GT6 still looks good enough when racing online. So, £100 for less cars & tracks, or continue to play GT6 at no extra cost? It's a no-brainer for me!

Last edited:
Back