GT Sport Mode need a Penalty fix asap, please Polyphony Digital...

Should the penalty system Get a fix

• Yes

Votes: 180 87.8%
  • No

Votes: 25 12.2%

• Total voters
Last night I got a 5 sec penalty ,When I was getting hit and blocked by another player so I reported him sorry I don’t have the reply I don’t understand why I get a penalty when someone else is driving like a madman the computer system must have a way to judge better, So as of now I have put the game down if I play it’s lobby races and off-line

I got you beat, I had a slight off heading into the pits at Bathurst got my fuel and as I left the pits got hit with an 11second penalty, Nobody was even within 20seconds of me at the time, I literally contacted nobody nor made any shortcuts, If anything I actually slowed myself down :banghead:

What an utter disaster.

I get pole in the gr2 nations race. Some guy is about to ram me on first turn so I look back to avoid him and overshoot it.

I get stuck mid pack where I had probably 6-7 different players swerve all the way across track to hit me over the course of the race. These people are insane! Yet, most of them come out with blue SR ratings!!!

My scores after one race:
DR 17,115 -> 3,000
SR 54 -> 1

This is after 50+ consecutive days of SR90+

A Dr C driver dive bombed me. I was the only one to get a penalty in that collision because I am Dr A. I got sent down to Sr A following the race.

Thank goodness for asymmetric penalties. I'm a huge fan... :banghead:

Last edited:
Jesus!!! What ratings are you?! You are surrounded by crazy people!

A/S, yet matchmaking usually puts all ratings in the same room. (S/S to D/S)

I only had a couple wrong penalties on Monza yesterday, maybe things are getting better. One didn't make any sense though. I was following traffic in the second chicane on Monza when a car runs into my back, I get 2 sec and SR Down, he got nothing. I guess it's better than running into the guy in front of me and getting 10 sec. The game does not know you can't drive through cars and apparently assumes you are brake checking when going too slow at a corner.

Most hits from behind didn't give me any penalties and dive bump passes only gave me 1 sec while the attacker came off worse. One guy kept bumping me racking up the penalties, I only ended up with 2 sec whole he got disqualified ignoring penalties. Anyway 75% of the races still came down to finding the most efficient spot to start braking before the finish to cross the line at exactly zero penalty left... It's a necessary art :/

The penalties are getting ridiculous, honestly. Got reset from a very consistent A/S just yesterday, because of three back to back races where i got 10 sec. penalties. The first one was fair enough, an overzealous overtake, but the other two i had zero chance at avoiding the other car, and suddenly my DR/SR is D/E. I can, to some extent, accept that the penalty system is all over the place, but getting reset entirely over the course of three races, when i've been an A/S driver for almost as long as i've had the game is just too much.
SR DR reset.PNG

A/S, yet matchmaking usually puts all ratings in the same room. (S/S to D/S)

I only had a couple wrong penalties on Monza yesterday, maybe things are getting better. One didn't make any sense though. I was following traffic in the second chicane on Monza when a car runs into my back, I get 2 sec and SR Down, he got nothing. I guess it's better than running into the guy in front of me and getting 10 sec. The game does not know you can't drive through cars and apparently assumes you are brake checking when going too slow at a corner.

Most hits from behind didn't give me any penalties and dive bump passes only gave me 1 sec while the attacker came off worse. One guy kept bumping me racking up the penalties, I only ended up with 2 sec whole he got disqualified ignoring penalties. Anyway 75% of the races still came down to finding the most efficient spot to start braking before the finish to cross the line at exactly zero penalty left... It's a necessary art :/
I only drop the penalty's when they are above 5 sec or if i have a big enough gap to do so. Does it effect SR not dropping them ?

I only drop the penalty's when they are above 5 sec or if i have a big enough gap to do so. Does it effect SR not dropping them ?

doesn't seem like it but i normally serve them before the line anyways since a 5 second penalty becomes more like a 3 second penalty if you do it there

doesn't seem like it but i normally serve them before the line anyways since a 5 second penalty becomes more like a 3 second penalty if you do it there
I thought it didnt as well. But do you mean you cruise off 2 so end up with with 3 ? I had some instances where me and the guy in front both had 1 sec and they cruise it off before the line while i fly by and take their spot with the 1 sec penalty included.

I thought it didnt as well. But do you mean you cruise off 2 so end up with with 3 ? I had some instances where me and the guy in front both had 1 sec and they cruise it off before the line while i fly by and take their spot with the 1 sec penalty included.

This, unless you have a big enough gap there is no benefit of cruising over the line to lose the penalty. Especially if you don’t time it right and go over with 1.1 or something it will get rounded up so you get even more penalty. I don’t like crossing the line with them but it’s definitely the best strategy imo.

This, unless you have a big enough gap there is no benefit of cruising over the line to lose the penalty. Especially if you don’t time it right and go over with 1.1 or something it will get rounded up so you get even more penalty. I don’t like crossing the line with them but it’s definitely the best strategy imo.
Exactly, i dont like cruising them off anyway. Its fake and most of the time the timeloss will be bigger then the penalty afaik. Cars cruising off penalty's just creates new problems on track and imo it shouldn't be possible and all penalty's should be taken to the line.

If you get a 3 sec penalty you just need to push harder to extent the gap to over 3 sec or lose a spot. Thats the most realistic way imo. Sadly when its over 5 sec your forced to cruise a little.

i wouldn't do it for 1 second but anything over 3 and you can burn it off and cross the line in much less time than it would add at the end depending on the car class, i've saved myself positions by doing it. i agree it shouldn't work like this, but how to fix it? penalties that can't be scrubbed seem like a bad idea since there are situations where people get penalties they can't avoid or didn't deserve

i wouldn't do it for 1 second but anything over 3 and you can burn it off and cross the line in much less time than it would add at the end depending on the car class, i've saved myself positions by doing it. i agree it shouldn't work like this, but how to fix it? penalties that can't be scrubbed seem like a bad idea since there are situations where people get penalties they can't avoid or didn't deserve
I still dont get it but maybe i am missing something. A 3 sec penalty will just add 3 sec unless its like 3.5 and gets rounded up to 4. Doesnt it always take at least the same 3 seconds to burn it off ? Cause then burning it off will always take longer cause you always lose a little extra doing so right ?

And how are car classes involved in this ?

Last edited:
It will probably be criticized again, if not deleted, like my last post on there. Anyway posted my latest compilation of penalties

I'm just trying to understand why everyone keeps doing sport mode when stuff like this is what you get. Think about it, if any other part of GTS was designed this poorly everyone would be so fed up with it that it would become a ghost town. Yet everyone keeps going back at it knowing exactly what will happen.

I understand sport mode will never be perfect for everyone but at some point you would think people would just get tired of this crap.
Is racing against random people with a rating system so revolutionary that everyone will keep doing it no matter how bad it's designed.

I'm just asking and not bashing on anyone because it truly baffles me.

The penalties are getting ridiculous, honestly. Got reset from a very consistent A/S just yesterday, because of three back to back races where i got 10 sec. penalties. The first one was fair enough, an overzealous overtake, but the other two i had zero chance at avoiding the other car, and suddenly my DR/SR is D/E. I can, to some extent, accept that the penalty system is all over the place, but getting reset entirely over the course of three races, when i've been an A/S driver for almost as long as i've had the game is just too much.
View attachment 730183
I’m in exactly the same boat. It is really hard to come back from too.

I still dont get it but maybe i am missing something. A 3 sec penalty will just add 3 sec unless its like 3.5 and gets rounded up to 4. Doesnt it always take at least the same 3 seconds to burn it off ? Cause then burning it off will always take longer cause you always lose a little extra doing so right ?

And how are car classes involved in this ?

nope, it burns it off at a speed relative to the speed your car is going compared to what i assume is the expected speed for that part of the track, so doing it on a straight is much easier than in a corner or other slow part of the track. it seems to count down at a rate far faster than 1 second per second of penalty time if you slow right down on a straight, presumably to compensate for the player needing to speed up again after serving it. but obviously if you do it right before the finish line, you don't need to speed up again since the race is all but over

as for car classes, well, faster car classes cover more distance in a shorter amount of time and accelerate faster. which diminishes the effect

I've stopped playing Sport Mode because when I reach SR S everyone seems to be a d..khead. At least in lobbies I can set up my car, drive with people who don't act like they're in a Forza 7 lobby and not get my ratings down.

I'm just trying to understand why everyone keeps doing sport mode when stuff like this is what you get. Think about it, if any other part of GTS was designed this poorly everyone would be so fed up with it that it would become a ghost town. Yet everyone keeps going back at it knowing exactly what will happen.

I understand sport mode will never be perfect for everyone but at some point you would think people would just get tired of this crap.
Is racing against random people with a rating system so revolutionary that everyone will keep doing it no matter how bad it's designed.

Probably fair to say that quite a few sensible people are avoiding it... which just leaves it more full of addicts and reprobates! I've already posted enough of my thoughts on where PD have made mistakes, but I will say their efforts to enforce clean racing seem to be having somewhat of an opposite effect overall.

Racing against the AI is far worse. Racing against humans will often get you close and fun battles. And, depending on your own behavior, it will be clean and respectful racing far more often than not. If it really was that bad in every race it would be a ghost town. The fact that it's not shows that these are the exceptions.

Yet that doesn't excuse getting penalized for unavoidable situations or getting unfair penalties from other's behavior. Especially not since a few of those incidents can drop your safety rating a lot, which makes matchmaking worse and you'll be denied those fun and close battles until you restore your SR.

However despite the problems it's still the best way to get into a quick competitive and often respectful race.

It's now an art to scrub the penalties right before the finish line. Move over, brake just in time and cruise over the line as the count reaches zero. You can burn off over twice the gap difference to who is behind you. And why wouldn't you. If you have 1.1 sec penalty and the next person is 1.5 sec behind you. Why give up the position by it getting rounded up to 2 sec.

I checked some of my replays of Monza, burned off a 3 sec penalty right before the line and the car behind me only gained 1.3 sec on me. Another one, 4.2 sec penalty in 1.7 sec. And another one 1.8 sec gone in 0.7 sec.
ZqOiGPG.gif

I was only 1.4 sec ahead. Got the penalty from someone bumping me wide in Ascari so I didn't feel like giving up the win.

I once made the mistake of doing that one lap too soon and was quite surprised the race kept going while I was crawling down the straight :) Did not keep the lead lol.

Last edited:
Racing against the AI is far worse. Racing against humans will often get you close and fun battles. And, depending on your own behavior, it will be clean and respectful racing far more often than not. If it really was that bad in every race it would be a ghost town. The fact that it's not shows that these are the exceptions.

Yet that doesn't excuse getting penalized for unavoidable situations or getting unfair penalties from other's behavior. Especially not since a few of those incidents can drop your safety rating a lot, which makes matchmaking worse and you'll be denied those fun and close battles until you restore your SR.

However despite the problems it's still the best way to get into a quick competitive and often respectful race.

It's now an art to scrub the penalties right before the finish line. Move over, brake just in time and cruise over the line as the count reaches zero. You can burn off over twice the gap difference to who is behind you. And why wouldn't you. If you have 1.1 sec penalty and the next person is 1.5 sec behind you. Why give up the position by it getting rounded up to 2 sec.

I checked some of my replays of Monza, burned off a 3 sec penalty right before the line and the car behind me only gained 1.3 sec on me. Another one, 4.2 sec penalty in 1.7 sec. And another one 1.8 sec gone in 0.7 sec.
ZqOiGPG.gif

I was only 1.4 sec ahead. Got the penalty from someone bumping me wide in Ascari so I didn't feel like giving up the win.

I once made the mistake of doing that one lap too soon and was quite surprised the race kept going while I was crawling down the straight :) Did not keep the lead lol.
I treat my "penalty serve areas" like racing lines :lol: I have dedicated areas for each track and brake markers before the finish line :P

Oh I agree with you 100% on racing against AI.
You make some good points though. I stopped racing sport mode awhile ago and went to lobby racing to me it makes it more personal getting to know each individual on and off the track.

All I have to go by are the countless post bashing sport mode and it's penalty system. From an outside prospective it seems no race is clean anymore and it's driving people crazy.
Good to know that you can still find a good race within sport mode and probably a lot more than the post on here would have you believe. So there is still hope that one day it will get better.

Thanks for the insight on why you still do it and maybe one day when the penalty system gets fixed I will rejoin in some races.

The system is a complete broken mess...

If you go aggressive, pushing out off track people the game rewards you as clean driving...

Meanwhile, trying to race clean and sportive, you get nonsense penalties due other people that already know that being aggressive is the way to go ..

A Spanish YouTuber showed that in a compartive video .. First race he goes agrresive and not clean and ends without penalties , second race he goes clean and cautious and gets a lot of nonsense penalties... Easy to try it out.

It needs a fix asap... Didn't get better in 1.16 and 1.17...

Normal lobbies are also a broken mess with the same issues as GT6, drivers that don't see each other on track and even in the lobby.
And also the problem that you keep stuck on the grid or in a launched start the auto pilot keeps engaged...

Offline i just don't want to play, because the AI is bad and really to easy to win even with underpowered cars...

At this moment I just shelfed the game and will give it a shot on every update hoping that PD fixes the system and the normal lobbies issues.

That´s interesting.... and a very well kept secret.. I believe!! :)
Honestly I wouldn't want to keep these secrets. If everyone knew where everyone would serve their penalties it would be a much better racing environment :)
That said, these "penalty zones" are way too many for me to list down sadly :lol:

Maybe instead of penalties they should give out bigger (yuuuge) bonuses for being clean. Exp, mileage points or currency. If the best way to get EXP was to race online cleanly, maybe it would help. The bonus for being clean is now what, 50%? Make it 500%.

Maybe instead of penalties they should give out bigger (yuuuge) bonuses for being clean. Exp, mileage points or currency. If the best way to get EXP was to race online cleanly, maybe it would help. The bonus for being clean is now what, 50%? Make it 500%.
The whole problem with PD though is that they cant make a fair system in the first place that would lead to such a proposal. I mean if the system worked as it should in the real world you wouldn't need to add such a bonus anyway. The incentive in my eyes is already there and thats to gain decent licenses, its just not executed very well at all. Adding 500% gain bonus would only make it more yoyo and ridiculous than it is now.

Last edited:

ZqOiGPG.gif

Ok i get now why people do this. If there is a gain in it i'll definetly try it out as well.

Could you guys please take a look at this clip. Im the white car in 2nd place. I got a 10 sec penalty and I have no idea why.

Well i dont think you should have got one but the reason u did i think was because you touched the blue car that then went wide.

Yes it's because you hit the car in front of you/next to you, the game does not care that this only happened because someone hit you into said car. Getting hit can also get you a penalty too, so it's possible you got multiple penalties at the same time.

Likely most of those cars got penalties but it gets complicated by different driver ratings getting different penalties

Back