GT Sport Penalty System Under Fire Again as Official FIA Season Begins

I debated joining my first FIA race last night. Sooooo glad I didn’t. I watched my friends live feed of his race, I couldn’t stop laughing at the absurd penalties. He went door to door and grazed the door......literally would have left a tiny scratch at most, no position change etc.......7sec penalty ahahaha. It’s completely absurd.

Hopefully these very public outcries will bring about change. Just do full damage and have penalties only effect SR for egregious actions.

I really just wish they could find a way to penalize dive bombers, barge passers and punters. Drivers coming from BEHIND who have full VIEW and CONTROL of whats about to happen, hitting, bumping, nudging, pushing, smashing into other drivers who have NO CONTROL of the situation behind them. Other than predicting and by driving in their mirrors as opposed to the track ahead. Its the reason people need to drive so defensively, blocking and weaving instead of just driving, because they know that they will be doven on and probably barge passed by lazy drivers with impunity AND probably given a penalty for their inconvenience.

Funny I was just looking at my old YT videos of when I first started playing. That punt/divebomb mess been around since at least March 2018. Even the infamous someone gets rekt by another, the victim touches you before going out and you get the penalty. Nothing changed since then imo.

The karts were tough, I led for a while only to be hit from behind on the straight which gave me a penalty, then got forced to the outside of the hairpin and got another for contact. I dropped to 10th and made my way back up to 2nd in the final 2 corners. It would have been a good race without the penalties

Brooklyn 99 meme.jpg

Current mood on twitter.

Let me mention the fact: behaving and executing our movements as planned on a racetrack is not easy. But hard. :lol: Try to imagine, what kind of races we'd see if anyone playing GTS could sit in for a real life gokart race... So the 'market' for proper racing is narrow, while the 'market' of playing/gaming is big. PD doesn't need to change anything, if the mass of its userbase is fine with playing dodgem, or gaming/tricking/abusing the system.
If PD knows the recipe of a perfect penalty system, I'm not sure they'd include it. (And I'm sure they don't know though.)

However, this is a new situation, when their headline names are raising their voice. I wonder what will they do, 'cause noone cares if I'm not entering their races for ages now, but if the base of the 'FIA certified'... blabla marketing is ruined, they must step.
I'm afraid, that this penalty system can not be repaired to work fine. Some fundamental changes needed in the management and analysis of the data (think about the lag, which turns everything upside down sometimes - just to pick one) I think. Not easy.

And after the update the penalty system will hand out 5s penalties if you're side-by-side with someone for too long.
FFS, they're even imposing social distancing in video games.

IIRC, didn't they say they use machine learning for their penalty system? Maybe the AI got flooded with reports after someone's doors got rubbed.

Go back to the very first system. I’ve said it many times. Shared fault for any contact.
Maybe turn it off on turn 1 for grid starts.
Pen zones need to be placed at corner exit at lower speed not mid straight with cars rejoining in at the chase on Pano for example that’s bad.
Pen zones mid straight create chaos.
Either that or as soon as pen is given autodrive car in ghosted state, I dunno.
I kinda agree though with PD/FIA not bowing to the top drivers.
Top drivers get free trips around the globe to play a video game.
Imo the only way to get fair racing seems to be shared fault.
It’s simple, but before when they had that it was just as much outrage about not being able to bump.
Do you wanna bump and bash or not?
PD created a great game, but if even one big name collects a pen in a risky move all his or her fans follow suit in the outrage.
I don’t personally think with online any bump should go unpenalized if it moves another car from its path.
So many streamers baby bump people off their line and scream by saying things like oops ie or it was just a tap, totally ignoring the fact that hitting that car off it’s line made that player lose a half second or more.
Maybe in the virtual things need to be more strict than in reality. I think that would be fair, but maybe boring?

Last edited:
We need a mitigation system or a no touching policy, at best a combination of both..

I have really thought a lot about how you create a penalty system, both from a player view and how you would program it.
But the quick fix is a forced ghosting on contact, for both cars, and a speed reduction while the cars are in contact or while other cars (not ghosted) are in contact. Yes, this could cause a chain reaction for the cars that touch, but it would be a strong deterrent for anyone to touch, and if there is contact no one gains and no one gets a harder penalty than the other. It would also let people race close without getting stupid penalties.

Besides the penalty system being to stupid the other big issue is the physics between cars.. its like lego bricks thrown at each other...

If the contact was more real it would be more easy to handle light contact..

Well that explain the 5 penalties I received on Wednesdays manufacturers race.
Minor little rubs from behind and I had several 1 or 2s penalties.

With shared fault there’s so many things you could do with counting incident numbers docking dr gained if more than one incident per number of laps etc.
Imo the goal would be that multiple contacts prevent rank being gained. If accurate blame assignment is impossible then use point system manipulation with the original shared fault. It takes two to tango, a driver being overtaken has a duty also imo.
They could also tier the system, making it strict at S and at sr D let it be destruction derby for those that enjoy that.
I really think the only mistake made was lightening up on the initial principles they came up with when they designed the game.
Theoretically if there was more correlation with incident numbers to dr then cleanest fastest would have best chance of winning.
It seems like over time it would help matchmaking.
I really believe they had the right idea in the beginning, as far as the most fair way.
Right now it’s chaotic at best except for a minority who race fair on principle.

VBR
Kudos to all the top drivers who stand up & call PD out on this.

:cheers:

Was about time! Many low-level drivers have been protesting the state of the penalty system for months now!

Just take a look at the gallery and status updates of people like dtmsnoopy. He tried in-game protest via sharing "No More Anarchy on Track" liveries (including helmet and suit) and pictures. But his protest hasn't gotten any traction 'cause he is not a top split driver.

The top drivers didn't care for the longest time 'cause it didn't affect them as much in their top split lobbies.

I don't participate in any online lobbies anymore. I'll keep posting qualifying times for dailies, free practice times for FIA events and time trials, but that's about it 'til Polyphony has fixed the mess they created!

They need to fix it bad and while they are at it add forced deceleration option to the lobbys for shortcut, wall or contact penalities.

Yeah. With such an emphasis on online racing there is almost no communication with the community from the devs. Compare this to so many other online multiplayer games with huge patch notes explaining in details each and every detail. "We increased this stat for 5% because of this", "we decided to revamp the system because of that", stuff like this. No community managers as well. Point this out to me if I'm wrong (I am not the most active player out there) but the most in-depth info on penalty system we receive is in these vague, concise patch notes.
Talk to us, let us know what's the problem, let us know that you at least care and trying. No, nothing.

Online game without a proper communication with the active community is just ridiculous.
I couldn't agree more!!! The game originator rule in secrecy. No game mediators visible to dialogue with the users. And what I hate more is a scoring system that no one have a clue how it works. Here again, only polyphony knows how it works.

I've signed the petition via Twitter just out of principle, but believe we should back off a bit now and see how PD's latest changes plays out. We all know by now not to expect wonders, but at least PD showed some good intentions on both the penalty and communication. Let's hope for the best and if we're still nowhere, then we start again to get somewhere. AND yeah, the slipstream issue remains, but it's like how do you eat an elephant ? - piece by piece.

Back