GT Sport Penalty System Under Fire Again as Official FIA Season Begins

A lot of comments in here suggest most people posting like to fart into a fan and smell their own fart. Why do I have to read 40 post from experts on various “issues”. Still not one person has said if it’s improved or not since the update.

IS IT BETTER NOW, SIMILAR OR WORSE?

If you actually did read, they said it’s better than the last system. No silly side contact penalties. Its not a perfect fix but its a better fix from the last system

A lot of comments in here suggest most people posting like to fart into a fan and smell their own fart. Why do I have to read 40 post from experts on various “issues”. Still not one person has said if it’s improved or not since the update.

It’s better now, much. Less penalties, more/heavier SR downs, and harder to gain SR. 👍

I played the beta and ever since. Based on that you are posting useless personal anecdotes based on something you played over 2 years ago that since have been patched numerous times, including the driving model and those that play today have earned lots of experience since. You are armchair posting, Twitter is calling..

Nothing beats a race in GT sport where you meet the right drivers, that is why we keep playing even if the penalty system is broken.

Armchair posting? Pot calling kettle, come in kettle. Care to share your vast experience with the new penalty system that was released 12 hours ago?

Armchair posting? Pot calling kettle, come in kettle. Care to share your vast experience with the new penalty system that was released 12 hours ago?

Why would i share my vast experience with someone that couldn't care less and still posts about a game he hasn't played for 2 years, you smell like a troll.

A positive of what happened earlier in the week regarding harsh and unfair penalties was to help purge the drivers with artificial high SR gained during the no penalty update.

In some way this helps restore where everyone really should be. Of course they are exceptions. Some people clearly got mugged.

Im pretty sure there are a few posts here stating what it’s like since the update.

TL/DR: It’s slightly better but far from perfect. Small rubs door to door no longer give instant penalties, but can sometimes give a smaller penalty than before. No more 4 second penalties for slight door rub.

That said when I watched Kie25’s stream this morning it looked like all penalties were completely turned off again.

I think the game is good, the main problem is the players, given clean players the new system should be OK...
With really clean players you barely even need a penalty system, it should rarely come into play so doesn't matter if it's not quite right.
You need a penalty system for people who are very aggressive, don't care about clean racing or even worse deliberately try to cause accidents. And it's still not doing enough to educate/punish these people. Then again, if these make up the majority of players, maybe PD don't want to alienate them!?
I still think aside from the penalty algorithm, they need to do a lot more with SR and have an S+ category for the very cleanest players.

There is no system synchronization and I have seen the server happily let players continue with over 500ms latency. I think the most I ever saw was 800ms. The jerking is usually caused by jitter. Someone could be playing on wifi or have other processes interfere that create cyclic little lag spikes. One yellow bar connection is not like the other.

That’s my point, it causes the player to jerk around the screen, after a few missed handshakes the server boots you... and yes there is a latency requirement for GTS.

Funny you say their is no server synchronization when you just wrote a whole three paragraphs describing one. SMH

It’s a shame top drivers can’t be trusted to drive cleanly when the penalty system is lenient. Although I guess there will always be one to spoil it for the rest.

There was a 6-12 month period when most driver seemed content. Still didn’t stop some top driver’s whining each time they came out on the wrong end of a 50/50 clash.

Just roll back the penalty system and concentrate on what this game really needs. More single-player events, stronger AI for said single-player events. And a handful of modern race cars in Gr1, Gr2, Gr3, Gr4.
Racing AI it's boring not enough thrill and u get more of a excitement when u beat a person not AI it's almost like a samurai who goes to war and dies with no honor .

Racing AI it's boring not enough thrill and u get more of a excitement when u beat a person not AI it's almost like a samurai who goes to war and dies with no honor .

Not when the drivers are pricks and you get punished for their mistakes, though.

Very little is exchanged with the server / router. The server doesn't run the game itself, hence it is incapable of making correct penalty assessments. [Edited for space]
That's an excellent description of the effects of lag, and makes it much easier to understand the related issues. Thank you.

Amazingly, they actually didn't screwed this up now.

It's slightly better now, because if I get ran off track I won't get a 10 second penalty, but the punter can still get unpunished...Oh well.

Now, as for my ruined SR rating, I have no idea what to do because SR B is a hell hole and crawling away from it seems like a impossible task.

A positive of what happened earlier in the week regarding harsh and unfair penalties was to help purge the drivers with artificial high SR gained during the no penalty update.
I see the dude who ruined my last FIA race at ~50k DR got reset to 10 SR and 7k DR. He's back up to 37k DR and 99 SR already, though, so it can't be THAT hard to maintain 99 SR now.

Not when the drivers are pricks and you get punished for their mistakes, though.
I know it very frustrating at one point I broke my control when drivers came up with to much speed on purpose and use the rear of my car to stop there car and send me flying and with penalty but we do came across some players who show you respect even when they're faster , like I'm not a top player I'm 7 seconds slower and th daily race speed even knowing I know this game from the very first one I stay a few years away and now I'm back and I think it's a big improvement from the first games , everything takes time we just have to await for the changes , and to finish just have to say best game ever I dont play nothing else but mite try motogp .

Just tested the new system at the FIA Nations. I have good news and bad news.

Good news is, minimal contact do not generate stupid penalties for the victim anymore. I've seen front-rear and side-to-side contact and both cars got off scot free 👍 Even moderate contact seems safe as well (someone ran out of fuel on the last corner and the guy behind hit him quite hard accidentally, neither got penalized).

Bad news is, it seems they went the other extreme again and it's quite hard to get penalties now. I've seen a last corner divebomb which goes unpunished. But at least the victim doesn't get a penalty now.

So as long as everyone behaves, you can self police clean racing 👍 Unfortunately if there's a dirty driver he would probably still get away with a lot of pushing and bumping BUT on the positive you won't get unfairly penalized and can always get him again later on ;)

A shame that it took a mass boycott threat from the top drivers and front page news on the largest GT website for PD to take action. For the past 2 seasons I've been harping on about the penalty system in my Star Player registration, but I guess PD just doesn't care unless you're the elite few...

Bad news is, it seems they went the other extreme again and it's quite hard to get penalties now. I've seen a last corner divebomb which goes unpunished. But at least the victim doesn't get a penalty now.

So as long as everyone behaves, you can self police clean racing 👍 Unfortunately if there's a dirty driver he would probably still get away with a lot of pushing and bumping BUT on the positive you won't get unfairly penalized and can always get him again later on ;)
People seem to be saying that it's easier to lose SR than it is to get a penalty, so the hope is that will remove the dirty drivers down into lower SR lobbies. The question is are the right people losing SR with the new system.

View attachment 901094
Current mood on twitter.
That's been me since I got the game, except I'm an offline player and suck at making liveries.

And on the topic of the penalty system, I doubt it'll ever be 100% flawless, or even 60%. In my eyes it just seems too difficult to code something to be correct in most situations given the numerous factors that may be involved.

They're continuously working on the penalty system, but didn't we start the year with no penalty system at all? :lol:

Unpopular opinion: this game is overrated.
I think the problem is not that it is overrated, it's that as a PS4 owner and a fan of racing this is pretty much the only option you have for something similar to sim racing. I dream of a company developing a good competition to this game so maybe we're not stuck to PD's arrogance.

Surprise, surprise, GTSport penalty system is awful.
What really surprised me though is that Polyphony Digital had the balls to run a FIA event with those dreadlyawful system.

Let me mention the fact: behaving and executing our movements as planned on a racetrack is not easy. But hard. :lol: Try to imagine, what kind of races we'd see if anyone playing GTS could sit in for a real life gokart race... So the 'market' for proper racing is narrow, while the 'market' of playing/gaming is big. PD doesn't need to change anything, if the mass of its userbase is fine with playing dodgem, or gaming/tricking/abusing the system.
If PD knows the recipe of a perfect penalty system, I'm not sure they'd include it. (And I'm sure they don't know though.)

However, this is a new situation, when their headline names are raising their voice. I wonder what will they do, 'cause noone cares if I'm not entering their races for ages now, but if the base of the 'FIA certified'... blabla marketing is ruined, they must step.
I'm afraid, that this penalty system can not be repaired to work fine. Some fundamental changes needed in the management and analysis of the data (think about the lag, which turns everything upside down sometimes - just to pick one) I think. Not easy.
Establishing a good foundation for a penalty system is not new.
Add the fact that after nearly 25 years, Polyphony Digital REFUSES to add damage to their cars.
Cut the crap with the car company's excuse that they wouldn't want their cars to be damaged.
Forza has done it before.
iRacing has a great penalty system along with a believable damage physics and visual engine and that game is nearly 10 years old.
If Polyphony Digital had stayed with the casuals, they wouldn't have been put on the spotlight.
It's the issue that they tried to step in to the serious racing sim market while leaving the same foundation intact.
Now that is downright laughable and pathetic.

Source on iRacing coming to PS4? Have only heard about ACC.
Assetto Corsa is already out on PS4. I have it, and it is a great game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back