GT Sport physics thread

• Thread starter Brainhulk
  • 381 comments
Have you adjusted the sensitivity ? In my experience even the general stick steering sensitivity needs changing sometimes after an update, when it becomes more or less sensitive due to something in the game changing.
Yes i have. Both -2, 0 and 7. Neither is half as good as before the update. Less inclination means less accuracy...

Another thing that would be interesting to know, is if there is more steer beyond the red dot. If you stand still with the car for example. You can get the wheel to turn further then the red dot can move.......

Coming from GT6 and just recently started playing GTS, i have to say the physics deffinitly improved....for the full on race cars(gr.3/4), but the road cars not so much. IMHO the road cars didn't get any love this time around, i mean the main reason that i love GT6 is because one of my fave cars, the EVO IV was in the game and i tune the hell out of it to take on the Nordshleife and you can imagine how hyped i was when they finally added it on GTS..buut..sadly, the tuning for road cars has been taken a whole few steps back that its..well..disapointing to say the least. I mean, 300hp on Super Soft "racing tyres", you'd think that thing would have grip. It would just keep sliding everywhere and renders the possibility of 500+hp pointless. And don't get me started on the flimsy suspension setup. Maxed out all the settings to make it stiff up and it still body rolls like nobody's business. I hope they get around to fixing that issue cause full on race cars are cool and all but i want to tune and make my own race car that i can possibly own in real life. Thats the whole reason i've loved Gran Turismo since the PS1 days.

Im more and more convinced this understeer problem, that has got a lot of hate since physics update, is not a physics problem but more BOP and stock setup problem. More confirmation i got from current gr3 time trial. Gr3 mustang with edited praiano tune gave me 1:31.2 - no problem with understeer what so ever.

Im more and more convinced this understeer problem, that has got a lot of hate since physics update, is not a physics problem but more BOP and stock setup problem. More confirmation i got from current gr3 time trial. Gr3 mustang with edited praiano tune gave me 1:31.2 - no problem with understeer what so ever.

I wonder if it really will change now because it very much fits PD's philosophy of equalising everyone as much as possible and furthermore, it has the support from prominent drivers at the sharp end where their judgment of what constitutes understeer is significantly off, with the adage that most experienced drivers know very well that the moment you start making high-grip cars more neutral, the greater the skill required which therefore reduces their chances of being competitive. IMO, PD now very much understand what separates 'real aliens' from 'alien-like' drivers, and it's this ability to either be able to live with a high grip car on the limit, or not.

In general, the neutral cars in GTS are very forgiving because of their narrow tyres and lower grip, so the ability to predict aggressive oversteer isn't a significant advantage because of the slow break-away with a loss of grip, whereas with the high grip cars, it is. Just look at the chronic understeer of the Super Formulas and LMP cars, and I'm surprised so many of the top drivers are still bothering with them, but they clearly don't mind hand-brake turning them with first or second gear in what should be third gear corners. All this does it reduce the credibility of 'FIA' approved GTS as just a game for kids for any pros watching.

In general, the neutral cars in GTS are very forgiving because of their narrow tyres and lower grip, so the ability to predict aggressive oversteer isn't a significant advantage because of the slow break-away with a loss of grip, whereas with the high grip cars, it is. Just look at the chronic understeer of the Super Formulas and LMP cars, and I'm surprised so many of the top drivers are still bothering with them, but they clearly don't mind hand-brake turning them with first or second gear in what should be third gear corners. All this does it reduce the credibility of 'FIA' approved GTS as just a game for kids for any pros watching.

Also what separates more skilled drivers with current physics is brake modulation - especially how one comes off brakes depending on car / corner.

Hmmm, handbrake turning super formula and lmp?
I’d have to see video of examples of top guys doing that to believe it.

I do agree though that to be fast in gr3 on wheel you gotta coordinate braking point, smoothness of coming off brake combined with smoothly adding steering input, then combine unwinding and throttle application, all while hitting the line, track camber right.
It’s QUITE challenging to truly drive the limit imo. Also, aside, damn EMEA is fast on gr3 Catalunya!
It makes sense since motorsports is much more popular there.

I think he ment "handbrake turning" by down shift engine braking. ;)

Ah thanks. Sorry, yeah that’s crap.
I don’t do it, and I don’t care what the fastest guys do, but I’m not convinced it’s the fastest way. I’m just not good enough to prove my theory lol.
It’s so effing hard to get the limit on the best possible line, where the grip is.
Engine compression rear wheel lockup by engine blowing downshift is ridiculous imo.
It’s very tough I. This game to have the tires at the right slip angle and keep them there in every corner every lap all while adding throttle at the earliest possible moment.

Also what separates more skilled drivers with current physics is brake modulation - especially how one comes off brakes depending on car / corner.

This is very true, and the closer the car is to the limit, the better brake modulation by the driver and the quality of the brake pedal will give him an advantage. You can spend £800 on Heusinkveld pedals, which will most likely give you quite an advantage if you're doing F1 2018 in particular, but I think the Thrustmaster T3 pedals are probably ok for GTS as the cars have much longer braking distances. F1 2018 requires a brake pedal with very short travel yet with very good resolution to be competitive (short travel to execute instant maximum braking, good resolution to then regulate all that weight transfer smoothly over the front wheels to rotate the car).

I wanted your opinion on the changes in gt sport physics.
I personally don't think it evolved the right way.
I find the car's behavior very elastic, incoherent horisontal movements. probably an exaggerated tire elasticity. mainly on road cars.
I also liked to see the car's default settings more closely match reality.
Don't you think the suspension of origin of road cars shouldn't be tougher?
for example, look at the behavior of an nsx r or any other road car ... no sports car has such a soft suspension ... don't you think?
leave your opinions here please.
good racing everyone!

Last edited:
Edit. This was in TT, sp it doesnt represent the actual wet condition physics, but grip reduction "low" instead. :indiff:

So - its time for discussion on wet physics. Tried it with the MX-5 cup car tuned to 260hp and 900kg on Sport Mediums as i think wet/int tires are just for race cars. Added power and weight to bring up the physics. I quite like it - not too slippery as it should, but clearly less grip once you loose / try to regain it. Car slides very naturally and is controllable to a point. I think i like it even more than dry physics.:lol: I think force feedback is pretty light on wet and theres not much tire squeel as one would expect. So far well done PDI. :cheers: now i have to test it with some gr4/3 and heavier street cars for final verdict.

Here is a video. First few laps quickish relaxed drive without pushing it too much and last 1.5laps playing with it to see it beyond limit.

Last edited:
So - its time for discussion on wet physics. Tried it with the MX-5 cup car tuned to 260hp and 900kg on Sport Mediums as i think wet/int tires are just for race cars. Added power and weight to bring up the physics. I quite like it - not too slippery as it should, but clearly less grip once you loose / try to regain it. Car slides very naturally and is controllable to a point. I think i like it even more than dry physics.:lol: I think force feedback is pretty light on wet and theres not much tire squeel as one would expect. So far well done PDI. :cheers: now i have to test it with some gr4/3 and heavier street cars for final verdict.

Here is a video. First few laps quickish relaxed drive without pushing it too much and last 1.5laps playing with it to see it beyond limit.

You're gonna have to do it again in a custom race or a month with grip reduction set to Real. The difference is huge.

Anyone noticed little stiffer ffb on comfort soft tyres?
FFB feels little more fat wich is great, i had to set ingame strenght one click back from 8 to 7.
Or is it just me? Did i had a weak day? I hate PD for not beeing honest and give us a real full changelog like anyone else. Its not a shame to fix things, why they hide some changes?
We still would love you uncle kaz, you dont have to hide things! :cheers:

Anyone noticed little stiffer ffb on comfort soft tyres?
FFB feels little more fat wich is great, i had to set ingame strenght one click back from 8 to 7.
Or is it just me? Did i had a weak day? I hate PD for not beeing honest and give us a real full changelog like anyone else. Its not a shame to fix things, why they hide some changes?
We still would love you uncle kaz, you dont have to hide things! :cheers:
yes. something feels different. Its like comfort and sport tires got the same "feel" than racing supersoft tires. Sliding in a wierd way all over the place. Not exactly, but kinda. Did not like it. Drove some ff cars and that was just horrible, it was with rss tires and I seriously spun in fifth and sixth gear. I usually dont drive with rss, my favorite tires are comfort and sport hard tires, for street cars. Anybody else feel a difference?

yes. something feels different. Its like comfort and sport tires got the same "feel" than racing supersoft tires. Sliding in a wierd way all over the place. Not exactly, but kinda. Did not like it. Drove some ff cars and that was just horrible, it was with rss tires and I seriously spun in fifth and sixth gear. I usually dont drive with rss, my favorite tires are comfort and sport hard tires, for street cars. Anybody else feel a difference?
Could you rephrase all of that?

Me and some friends noticed a difference of nearly 0,5 seconds (improvement) or more with the following combo:
-Dodge Viper GTS-R GT3
-Racing Super Soft Tires
- Bop Activated
-Interlagos (idk if the track actually matters)
-Tire wear and fuel consumption off.

The bad thing is since we just tried that car under that specific conditions, so we can’t tell if it was the car which is better now, or the tire that got more grip. Pre-Update, we noticed as well that the difference between the soft and supersoft was nearly non in terms of performance.

Coming from GT6 and just recently started playing GTS, i have to say the physics deffinitly improved....for the full on race cars(gr.3/4), but the road cars not so much. IMHO the road cars didn't get any love this time around, i mean the main reason that i love GT6 is because one of my fave cars, the EVO IV was in the game and i tune the hell out of it to take on the Nordshleife and you can imagine how hyped i was when they finally added it on GTS..buut..sadly, the tuning for road cars has been taken a whole few steps back that its..well..disapointing to say the least. I mean, 300hp on Super Soft "racing tyres", you'd think that thing would have grip. It would just keep sliding everywhere and renders the possibility of 500+hp pointless. And don't get me started on the flimsy suspension setup. Maxed out all the settings to make it stiff up and it still body rolls like nobody's business. I hope they get around to fixing that issue cause full on race cars are cool and all but i want to tune and make my own race car that i can possibly own in real life. Thats the whole reason i've loved Gran Turismo since the PS1 days.
It doesnt sound like you could possibly own a car with RSS tyres in real life. They're probably worth about one EVO IV each.
You're complaining a lot but it does not sound like you know what you are doing. It is indeed pretty amazing that you seem to be struggling for grip on a 4wd road car with F1 qualification tyres on, but you also say that you went max stiffness suspension on the ring, not sure how it's gonna help the tyres stay on the road.
The physics are the same for all cars.

Just something I have observed, now I know that GT Sport is not a full on sim that is understood but I have never seen any cars that I have driven cock a leg at all when negotiating corners, does this just not happen, is it a limitation of the physics? Unless going over kerbs/off track the wheels seem 'glued' to the track?

Were there any physics tweaks that people have found with update 1.45?

Release notes mention the Michelin stuff added was only cosmetic, but in the car settings the Michelin badge is there now and it says “official tire provider” or something similar. Does that mean the new tire model is in effect now?

So, I had not driven Panorama for a while and yesterday in FIA I noticed the ffb seemed enhanced from what I remember.
Maybe it’s because I rarely run soft tires but it felt excellent and it felt like the wheel feel of lightening up when approaching loss of grip was very well done.
Just the ffb...It seemed to me like it was a bit enhanced.
Really enjoyable...

So. The October update has just arrived with no new tire model.

I’m looking at you, Michelin.

As much as I'd like it, I thought the touted Michelin tyre model being introduced was very far-fetched. Tyres are massively complicated and implementing a new tyre model for umpteen different tyres in the game for hundreds of different cars on multiple tracks with variations in tarmac texture is a colossal task. A few years would be more realistic I'm afraid, but the existing one isn't too bad now anyway IMO.

A good compromise for now would be for Michelin to have some involvement with what already exists in GTS and support any changes that could be easily implemented along the way until the next game arrives.

Last edited:
Back