GT Sport physics thread

• Thread starter Brainhulk
  • 381 comments
The tire/physics model shouldn't require car specific modeling unless is implemented poorly. Models for each of the tire compounds (granted that's still 12 models) should be sufficient assuming that the rest of the physics engine is architected in a way to respond to the tire model and provide relevant data to the tire model (behavior driven approach instead of direct 1:1 modeling).

Not saying the task is easy, but changing the tire model shouldn't require an entire physics engine rework.

The tire/physics model shouldn't require car specific modeling unless is implemented poorly. Models for each of the tire compounds (granted that's still 12 models) should be sufficient assuming that the rest of the physics engine is architected in a way to respond to the tire model and provide relevant data to the tire model (behavior driven approach instead of direct 1:1 modeling).

Not saying the task is easy, but changing the tire model shouldn't require an entire physics engine rework.

I was thinking about the re-BOP'ing and re-setting up of stock settings for all the cars as they are all going to handle differently again. I've mentioned before that I believe PD tends to make the most forgiving cars be neutral (road cars with road tyres), whilst the least forgiving are high downforce cars like Gr.1 with racing slicks, always understeer so there is no rear end drama at all.

From sim racing perspective: How well does GTS simulate suspension travel through FFB? (e.g car weight/body roll, compression under heavy load etc.)

IMO GT -classes are fine, i quess... But what comes to road cars, especially classics/old muscles, it's definitely lacking... Could say it's nonexistent.

Also when entering Eau Rouge/Raidillion my wheel always goes light regardless of the driven car or suspension setup... Same thing with literally every banked corner at Alsace & ovals.
(More grip = weaker FFB)

In GT6 during S-bend corners, you could feel the body roll much better - heavier ("locked") FFB until weight transfers to opposite direction... And you felt it through FFB.
Not once have i felt this in GTS.

(One shouldn't mix FFB & physics, i know)

Last edited:
Excuse me but can anybody clarify what this does?

Other Improvements and Adjustments

- The regenerative braking control of the 'Audi e-tron Vision Gran Turismo' has been adjusted;
- The deadzone for the throttle and brake pedals while driving using a Fanatec® steering wheel controller has been increased;
- The force feedback caused by understeering while driving using a Fanatec® steering wheel controller has been adjusted;

- Various other issues have been addressed.

Latest patch notes source.

Any physics changes except for the Fanatec users?
I Took some laps this morning and did not feel the changes in the Gr3 Car?It did feel good though? I Suspect some of the chatter from the group 4 cars while under-steering occurs has been addressed but have not had a chance to check it?

The deadzone for the throttle and brake pedals while driving using a Fanatec® steering wheel controller has been increased;

Is this a good or bad thing, does it affect throttle linearity?

Don't have a wheel but planning to buy one soon.

I have a question about tires/braking. I'm noticing my car---say a Porsche Gr.3--in sport races, sliding more under braking, going even a little sideways as it does so; this is in a straight line. This is something I have always been able to control up until now.

I know others are having issues because I ended up in last position after wiping out in one race and I passed at least 3 others who were spawning after doing same. Sorry, I'm not really into the technical aspects but maybe others have noticed this too?

Last edited:
Been doing Race A in the Miata all week..
The car feels different now under braking. Downshifting and braking made the rear end more loose.

Been racing the same way all week but it felt different after the update.

zortation, noticed your comment, I got the same feeling under braking.
Using a controller btw.

I have a question about tires/braking. I'm noticing my car---say a Porsche Gr.3--in sport races, sliding more under braking, going even a little sideways as it does so; this is in a straight line. This is something I have always been able to control up until now.

I know others are having issues because I ended up in last position after wiping out in one race and I passed at least 3 others who were spawning after doing same. Sorry, I'm not really into the technical aspects but maybe others have noticed this too?
I noticed the same with other cars.

I feel like they are slowly making GTS more and more realistic.

I noticed the same with other cars.

I feel like they are slowly making GTS more and more realistic.

Really agree here. Too early on the downshift hurts more abs weak has WAY more control, the game is rewarding good driving more imo, and punishing mistakes slightly more, Jmo.
People who like getting into detail should really read the in game breakdown on braking settings.
I believe they have enhanced abs weak a bit, and punished abs default slightly Jmo.
On abs weak, if you trail perfect you can really rotate some of the heavier more powerful cars even better than I thought!
I also think default tcs works slightly better at partial throttle on the cars I run but who knows if that’s true, most people blindly follow the tcs is evil mindset that seems inherent in sim racing as a unit.
You can also over cook things easier, bang the final downshift too soon and break traction too much and overrotate the car!
Pretty epic imo.

Last edited:
Since the update from 3 or 4 months ago the cars are so so understeery (especially race cars),the stock AMG GT3 that is used for the Hamilton time trials is nearly undrivable honestly

I have just come back to GT Sport as got a bit bored with the handling model but I can say I came back for this update and bought 3 of the cars. Having a blast with the RUF, do I actually detect torque steer!! GT Sport physics seem to be edging in the right direction IMHO.

From the description, "You are delusional if you enjoy this game. This isn't driving."
ye **** that

He is actually quite fast in GTS and generally positive. There are vids on his channel, made during beta, where he is going head to head with Fraga and holding his own.

I sort of partially agree with him about GTS. I only still play it because of FIA, but I have no interest in hotlapping or practicing a lot in GTS. The reason is that the physics are not as enjoyable to me as those in some other games. That’s a personal opinion though.

What is clear to me is that the current, understeery physics of GTS make no sense and take a lot of enjoyment out of the game. The physics base in the game is sound, but PD seems intent on making this aspect continuously worse, as they do with the penalty system.

This sums my feelings about physics now. And LH TTs

Have played 2-3h per week before, no intrest anymore. Waiting for better update 👍

Braking in GTS is weird. Ferrari 458 Italia with front racing super soft and rear comfort hard tires.The car is literally undrivable but I'm able to brake in a straight line and the car remains stable locking the front tires.

If I move the brake balance back to +5 does not allow me to apply 100% braking force and lock the rear tires, is this a hidden Assistant and why is it there for somone who deliberately chose to disable the ABS.

And the downforce simulation is very basic it needs a lot of work.

Last edited:
Braking in GTS is weird. Ferrari 458 Italia with front racing super soft and rear comfort hard tires.The car is literally undrivable but I'm able to brake in a straight line and the car remains stable locking the front tires.

If I move the brake balance back to +5 does not allow me to apply 100% braking force and lock the rear tires, is this a hidden Assistant and why is it there for somone who deliberately chose to disable the ABS.

And the downforce simulation is very basic it needs a lot of work.

Actually the brakes do not lock at all with whatever setting in the game for some reason. The last evidence of total ABS off locking was in GT Sport Closed Beta Test.

I challenge you all to do Mount Panorama in a stock Civic type R (the ”new” one) with RSS-tires. Then do the same track in the AE86 with same compound of tires. Have ”fun”!

I challenge you all to do Mount Panorama in a stock Civic type R (the ”new” one) with RSS-tires. Then do the same track in the AE86 with same compound of tires. Have ”fun”!
Try Ferrari Dino with RSS on Kyoto Driving Yamigawa II.

Back