GT Sport physics thread

• Thread starter Brainhulk
  • 381 comments
I remember those , they were fun . I put alot of money in them back then , i think there was a ferrari one but i dont fully remember tbh .

What's amazing is that you seem to actually believe this.

I wonder which simulators he means? The only one I can remember was Sega's F355 Challenge game, which was pretty awesome and very hard. But playing it now, the physics are completely weird.

There were racing simulators in the arcade room at the shopping Malls before Gran Turismo came out. The physics in these simulators were much more realistic than most of these top simulators we talk about here (pcars/asseto ect.). Those older simulators had very poor 16bit graphics and very difficult to race for a typical gamer, however the feeling of driving in a real car was second to none. They featured real steering wheels, gear shifters and the seat would move around and bump perfectly in sync with the motion of the car. I'm sure if you wanted something like that set up in your living room today it would be costly. Gran Turismo is not as sophisticated as that simulator when it comes to physics; and neither is these other simulators available on consoles. Now, do i want the physics in GTS to be as sophisticated? yes. Do I expect it to be? No. For what GT Sport is it does it well.

I assume you're talking about titles like Outrun in actual arcades back in the early to mid 90's before GT1 arrived.
In which case they did not offer progressive in depth tire models like AC or PCars do.
They didn't even code downforce back then, so I'm lost with your comment.
I will add I have close to 200 miles today with GT Sport, so while I'm not a fan of the physics, I can't hate it all that much.
These Circuit experience tests are borderline addicting.

I played a lot of arcade games when I was a kid and can’t remember one that had anywhere near realistic physics.
I dont remember how good the physics were tbh , as a kid and never driving a real car before it felt pretty authentic
XXI
I assume you're talking about titles like Outrun in actual arcades back in the early to mid 90's before GT1 arrived.
In which case they did not offer progressive in depth tire models like AC or PCars do.
I will add I have close to 200 miles today with GT Sport, so while I'm not a fan of the physics, I can't hate it all that much.
No outrun was an arcade game , there was a sim like machine as he described and it was very hard to drive it . I was a kid then so my memory is not great but the graphics were terrible . I had never driven a real car when i played it so i cant judge the physics , i must have been 10 years old , cant really remember tbh .

XXI

I can't remember the exact name of the simulator. I have also played Hard Drive, this was similar but it had three monitors and a motion seat and unit was built like a bmw procar. I mostly did track testing and not going around jumping hoops like in Hard Drive.

I can't remember the exact name of the simulator. I have also played Hard Drive, this was similar but it had three monitors and a motion seat and unit was built like a bmw procar. I mostly did track testing and not going around jumping hoops like in Hard Drive.
So, just to get this right, you are saying the below has a much more realistic physics engine than PC & AC?

its just fact that speed doesn't feel very well in GTS. we have other examples so its clear to compare . but im adapting to how GTS does it and im used to it. still it does not feel fast.
I can tell you from experience, going fast on a race track doesn't feel that fast, you adjust very quickly. My experience being I've ridden a 1000cc track spec superbike around Oulton Park, speed will be maxing at around 160+. It feels fast yeah but not over double the speed limit fast. Then when you are going round bends at 60mph it feels slow! Like you seriously can't wait to get the power on. If that makes any sense lol.

I dont remember how good the physics were tbh , as a kid and never driving a real car before it felt pretty authentic

No outrun was an arcade game , there was a sim like machine as he described and it was very hard to drive it . I was a kid then so my memory is not great but the graphics were terrible . I had never driven a real car when i played it so i cant judge the physics , i must have been 10 years old , cant really remember tbh .
So, just to get this right, you are saying the below has a much more realistic physics engine than PC & AC?

It was definitly an upgrade from that. I think hard drivin took two quarters and you could find those in convenience stores. But the BMW simulator at the Mall I had to pay 5 dollars for the session. Im not sure of the comparison as far as how the software engine is compared to PC or AC but the driving feeling was much more realistic

As someone who ACTUALLY races REAL cars, I can attest to the physics. The hardest part for me in this game is separating the driving aspect of a sim from the physics of real life. I can’t feel the G’s on a sim...

I was not completely sold on the physics till I switched from my G29 to my T300RS GT. The latter wheel just portrays traction and tire slip far more effectively, to the point where you can almost tell exactly when you're on the limit or close to spinning out, since the internal belts in the wheel do this juddery hard tugging or pulling to one side feedback thing, which feels like tires sequentially skidding in one direction. That is essentially the cue to ease off or be gentler on the throttle.

Overall though, in my opinion Gran Turismo Sport has the best Sim physics available on consoles alongside Assetto Corsa. I find Forza a touch too erratic or overzealous, and Project Cars a touch unpredictable and also slightly wild or less planted. Both GTS and AC in contrast deliver far more nuanced, weighty, planted and realistic physics imo, that have better force feedback and communicate what the car is doing more effectively.

I do agree with some of the comments about sense of speed though. GTS really needs some motion blur and more camera shake or vibration options or something. It just doesn't feel quite as fast as PCars or Forza, and none of the sim racers come close to matching the sense of speed DRIVECLUB offers. Whatever magic Evo did with DC just makes for a far more thrilling visualisation of speed.

Last edited:
GTS really needs some motion blur and more camera shake or vibration options or something.
I remember crying out for PD to take out this horrible lateral and longitudinal Gforce effect on the pilot s head during beta. It was more than exagerated and it was turning impossible to be performant in cockpit view. I remember asking also for them to check Iracing where everything turn and jump around the pilot eyes and like this he never loose the focus to take the ideal driving line and have a good estimation of speed and distances.
They did it and i am very happy with it, i have never driven so much in cockpit view in any game that offer others options. Iracing don t, perhaps this is why they have the best and more performant cockpit view in my opinion, now together with GT. Congrats to them for this.

Sometimes when i get bored of static camera in cockpit i move it myself in corner with analog stick just for fun. It would be nice to have at least some kinda of shake or movement

I was not completely sold on the physics till I switched from my G29 to my T300RS GT. The latter wheel just portrays traction and tire slip far more effectively, to the point where you can almost tell exactly when you're on the limit or close to spinning out, since the internal belts in the wheel do this juddery hard tugging or pulling to one side feedback thing, which feels like tires sequentially skidding in one direction. That is essentially the cue to ease off or be gentler on the throttle.

Overall though, in my opinion Gran Turismo Sport has the best Sim physics available on consoles alongside Assetto Corsa. I find Forza a touch too erratic or overzealous, and Project Cars a touch unpredictable and also slightly wild or less planted. Both GTS and AC in contrast deliver far more nuanced, weighty, planted and realistic physics imo, that have better force feedback and communicate what the car is doing more effectively.

I do agree with some of the comments about sense of speed though. GTS really needs some motion blur and more camera shake or vibration options or something. It just doesn't feel quite as fast as PCars or Forza, and none of the sim racers come close to matching the sense of speed DRIVECLUB offers. Whatever magic Evo did with DC just makes for a far more thrilling visualisation of speed.

GTS still has tons of space for improvement to be alongside Assetto Corsa. Its just isnt on par by now~ no where near.

Has anyonr tried setting a "real life" lap around Nordschleife? I did in a few cars that have official lap times and I can't match it at all. I'm always at least 10 seconds slower in the game, even with SS tyres. Speaking of Civic Type R, it has an official time 7:50 and I do around 8:20 and top speed in the official video is 270 I barely do 250 so either auto manufacturers lie like hell or PD did something horribly wrong.

Or maybe its realistic and requires ex-F1 driver to achieve the time as in real life.. ;):cheers:

If you mean the nurb records of those cars that is..

Might be the bop of sports mode that has affected cars balances even without bop on..

Or maybe its realistic and requires ex-F1 driver to achieve the time as in real life.. ;):cheers:

If you mean the nurb records of those cars that is..

That's right. It's not like they put average joe in those cars. So a more reasonable comparison would be, how fast can a pro driver be in GTS?

That's right. It's not like they put average joe in those cars. So a more reasonable comparison would be, how fast can a pro driver be in GTS?
Nope it's not that, try it yourself the cars are much slower in the game, especially the Civic. And I might not be an F1 driver but I don't consider me a bad driver especially if I can keep myself in TOP 10 in leaderboards... Also, they don't race the street cars (again, especially not the Civic), they go fast but not F1-like fast. They don't risk their lives so the car has a 2 seconds better lap.

Nope it's not that, try it yourself the cars are much slower in the game, especially the Civic. And I might not be an F1 driver but I don't consider me a bad driver especially if I can keep myself in TOP 10 in leaderboards... Also, they don't race the street cars (again, especially not the Civic), they go fast but not F1-like fast. They don't risk their lives so the car has a 2 seconds better lap.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying the game is accurate. I'm just saying it'd be good to compare their times. The Civic is less accurate than a Sega Rally car (and that is not an exaggeration).

When I was doing circuit experience on the Nurburgring in the BMW M6 GT3, it genuinely felt scary trying to go through some of the most notorious corners in the world. I would say that the sense of speed is better than Project Cars 2, which sounds crazy but when the track feels so narrow and you're going so fast, you're on edge the whole time. It's great.

When I was doing circuit experience on the Nurburgring in the BMW M6 GT3, it genuinely felt scary trying to go through some of the most notorious corners in the world. I would say that the sense of speed is better than Project Cars 2, which sounds crazy but when the track feels so narrow and you're going so fast, you're on edge the whole time. It's great.
Seeing as how you can simply change the FOV in PC2 to match GTS....

After testing that wet track with rain what your thoughts of wet rain physics?. And why we have only one track and just on missions with rain.

I don't know what I'm looking at the timestamp
I mean if the dynamics of the car is so realistic as claimed in the video.For example, is there lift off oversteer,if you move the brake balance all the way to the rear will the rear tyres lock first during braking in a straight line,can you make car which understeer mid corner to be neutral or even to oversteer in mid corner with suspension and downforce settings?

I mean if the dynamics of the car is so realistic as claimed in the video.For example, is there lift off oversteer,if you move the brake balance all the way to the rear will the rear tyres lock first during braking in a straight line,can you make car which understeer mid corner to be neutral or even to oversteer in mid corner with suspension and downforce settings?

From what I've noted in-game the span of adjustables (e.g. for aero) is pretty narrow, i.e. it's not possible to modify most cars to completely undriveable setups. Can't comment on the finer balancing aspects at this time, though.

As a suspension tuning guru I can attest to the realism of the suspension gallery in game. One of the first things I tried was a whacked out setup. Tuning in hertz is an amazing advance for this game. Since that is what we were all trying to accomplish in prior GT’s, but couldn’t since we didn’t have enough info. (FYI- around 2.0 is what you want for any car out there unless it’s a rally car, and then it’s 1.5)

Two really weird physics observations from a few days ago:

Rolling backwards on the latter half of the front straight, which is down hill, at Dragon's Trial is one. The other is after getting punted in the North Isle Speedway race and ended up sideways on the steep bank I simply could not get any traction to get turned the right way. Even with TCS on and racing tires, I simply slid backwards. The physics don't add up!

As a suspension tuning guru I can attest to the realism of the suspension gallery in game. One of the first things I tried was a whacked out setup. Tuning in hertz is an amazing advance for this game. Since that is what we were all trying to accomplish in prior GT’s, but couldn’t since we didn’t have enough info. (FYI- around 2.0 is what you want for any car out there unless it’s a rally car, and then it’s 1.5)

Got a reference to Hz tuning? First I've heard about that and I've been a car guy all my life. Higher Hz = stiffer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back at E3, during the rally racing at Sardegna, I had the feeling the cars were limited in their roll angle. Launching the car on an off-camber yump, it felt like the car couldn't roll to the side more than, say, 30 degrees. It actually reminded me of GT1.

I know we could flip cars in the beta, and that's probably still the case at Willow in the final game. But has anybody else noticed the resistance to roll over during rallying?

Two really weird physics observations from a few days ago:

Rolling backwards on the latter half of the front straight, which is down hill, at Dragon's Trial is one. The other is after getting punted in the North Isle Speedway race and ended up sideways on the steep bank I simply could not get any traction to get turned the right way. Even with TCS on and racing tires, I simply slid backwards. The physics don't add up!

Got a reference to Hz tuning? First I've heard about that and I've been a car guy all my life. Higher Hz = stiffer?
My man, http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets5.html
Read that entire website. It’ll change the way you have previously built a car. No longer is it about the stiffest springs and the biggest sway bars. Hell, my autox car doesn’t even run bars anymore. And I reduced my spring stiffness, and raised the car an inch. Handles better than anything I’ve ever driven. And it’s all because of 3 little things; roll center, CG, and scrub radius.
Measure your corner weights, unsprung masses, and motion ratios, and then pick springs that put the front NF at 2.2 Hz and the rear at 2.5 Hz.

My man, http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets5.html
Read that entire website. It’ll change the way you have previously built a car. No longer is it about the stiffest springs and the biggest sway bars. Hell, my autox car doesn’t even run bars anymore. And I reduced my spring stiffness, and raised the car an inch. Handles better than anything I’ve ever driven. And it’s all because of 3 little things; roll center, CG, and scrub radius.
Measure your corner weights, unsprung masses, and motion ratios, and then pick springs that put the front NF at 2.2 Hz and the rear at 2.5 Hz.
Suspension tuning has never been about having the stiffest springs are biggest sway bars, well unless the person saying so has no idea what they are on about.

Its always been about having the right balance of stiffness for the car and track conditions, not to mention the fact that stiffness is relative to the starting point of the car in question.

Its a good site, but none of its really revolutionary.

Back