GT Sport ready for future console generations and output resolutions

• Thread starter Roxanne
  • 135 comments
Aren't more devs doing that? Building the source for their 3D model as good as possible (with the future in mind) and then rendering it for whatever platform limits there are?

“The level of precision we’ve achieved [in GT5] is actually more suited to the next generation of machines. The detail that goes into a premium model [has] gone beyond the level of the current PlayStation.”

*burns everything down and starts from scratch*
I have to say, if I were GTP, I would be hesitant to even call this news, because it's been claimed for almost a decade and apparantly was a load of horse.. Well it clearly wasn't true, now was it?

Kaz is a joker who managed to miss nearly a complete console cycle only by 1 month, and now hes on about the future. What world does he live in, other companies would have sacked him for his not making games. The ps4 pro is garbage,it should have released as the base model in 2014 and a true 4k machine around now. Kaz says 'the future '....i presume in his world that means the year 2025. You took way too long and alot of your customer's have had it with you. Il see your gt sport and raise you project cars 2 in true 4k. See ya gran turismo !

Aren't more devs doing that? Building the source for their 3D model as good as possible (with the future in mind) and then rendering it for whatever platform limits there are?

Yes, just about all.

I am surprised that most people don't seem to understand how 'future-proofness' works in these cases. If enough time is spent on a vehicle to add every single detail then you just have to worry about 2 things - polygon count and texture resolution.

- In future systems and if cpu/gpu/ram allows it, you increase the polygon count by using more polygon iterations - the result is smoother surfaces, better reflections, etc
- To ensure the high resolution of the textures, the textures must be created at the highest resolution possible taking under consideration at least 1 gen ahead and then downscale them for the current-gen systems.

Maybe in PD they didn't think how fast generations would change, or they are keeping their assets for a different title..?

These games are developed on computers and console ports are on hardware like a 5+ year old PC. So, they have to cut somewhere for optimization of fps. These games on the PC side are hard enough to run at ultra detail settings even with the latest pc builds and having minimal frame drops. Unfortunately, the current standard on consoles will need to improve with releases probably every 3 years. The XBOX ONE X has not even been released and specs are like a 5 yr old cpu with a 2-3 yr old GPU.

I'm not going to buy a new console every 3 years and its not worth trying to live up to the pc master race.

Is it possible that PD developed more than just ~180 cars?
Is it possible that they have 100 more on standby and simultaneously developing more to achieve that 500+ mark?

Only time will tell. I think if they release a Christmas DLC with 10, 20, 30 cars and a few tracks, then they have definitely made a few extra cars and tracks. If that doesn't happen, then that 500+ cars is just wishful thinking.

Am pretty sick of PD at this point.
And now kaz says the same ol redundant crap about how gt needs far more resources than the present system.
He said the same about gt5.
I bought the ps pro primarily for GT. and now before the games even launched hes already stroking his scapegoat.
what a #%$#$£!

Make the damn game for the PRESENT system kaz *facepalm*

Youre just going to blame all future glitches and short comings on the console AGAIN??

I wonder whether we might see GT6 level cars dlc after release to bolster the car list, like standards. They might want to keep this under wraps to avoid negative publicity. I find it hard to believe there will be 500 cars at the detail level of the original release, given that it takes "six months" to produce one. Another 350 cars, that's 175 years!!!

As far as 8k, it won't happen until there is a fundamental change in the ways the internet is delivered. I cannot remember the maths, but to stream at 8k requires a broadband speed massively greater than we have now. I cannot therefore see TV manufacturers producing the 8k screens.

What this means is that come October we will have the game.
November or December when Playstation will announce PS5 for Fall of 2018, and then we do all this over again.

And when GT7 on the PS5 is about to be released he'll boast how they had to recreate all the cars from scratch (that's why there's only 20 of them) for the ultimate level of detail but it's ok because they are now future-proof for the PS6. It's almost like the Peter Molyneux cycle.

Is it possible that PD developed more than just ~180 cars?
Is it possible that they have 100 more on standby and simultaneously developing more to achieve that 500+ mark?

Only time will tell. I think if they release a Christmas DLC with 10, 20, 30 cars and a few tracks, then they have definitely made a few extra cars and tracks. If that doesn't happen, then that 500+ cars is just wishful thinking.

I think you might be on to something.Like the way you're thinking.

I have to say, if I were GTP, I would be hesitant to even call this news, because it's been claimed for almost a decade and apparantly was a load of horse.. Well it clearly wasn't true, now was it?

But this kind of thing makes the best news hehehehe

Last edited:
Personally i m ok actual GT sport graphics ,with 4K ..... i can play with this for the next 10 years without any problem.
What i really want is that they raise at a same very high level the cars physics and FFB. There is no sense at all if only those graphics parameters are taken in account to evaluate a progression along the way. They must be aware that nothing can be left behind.
In my opinion the most important future graphic goal or level to be reached for console (if consoles even exist in the future) is to be powerfull enough to run VR in very good conditions.

gt5+online.jpg

I hope that there'll be a special future disc where it'll have all DLC available inside the disc without re-downloading all DLC again in case of data loss or buying the older disc to be surprised of an already available DLC in the future disc.

With what I've seen and heard, I am very disappointed in Gran Turismo Sport.

No doubt it is a beautiful game. I believe Kaz when he says GTS will have untouchable car models for this generation. GTS will possibly have the best lighting as well and run smoothly at a high rendered resolution. But I'm disappointed.

The efforts that has been put into car models and lighting hasn't been seen elsewhere in the game, and as a long time fan who's in love with the series: I am very disappointed.

Future proofing models is fine, but is taking so long to accomplish, is it really acceptable? Is this what we the real GT fans wanted? No.

I am certain I speak for the majority when I say we would have preferred other things prioritized this time around.

Instead of the best car models, I wanted the best sound (engine, effects, etc), the best physics, the most realistic whether effects (how impressed are we when it's not dynamic?), Time of day transition, realistic visual and performance impacting damage (something a step above all other titles), AI, Campaign and of course online racing.

While I am confident they will nail online racing, I fear (really fear) they will fall behind with the other very important features.

None of us can appreciate the level of detail in theses models unless we are focused on Scapes. This should be a racing game first and foremost.

I would gladly take dynamic resolution over dedicated "4k" if it meant we would see phenomenal dynamic weather effects, mind blowing visual damage, time of day transitions and the best car racing audio on the planet. This would make it a must buy for me and many others.

I should be more excited than this. Not worried. I feel betrayed. Because I LOVE GRAN TURISMO.

With what I've seen and heard, I am very disappointed in Gran Turismo Sport.

No doubt it is a beautiful game. I believe Kaz when he says GTS will have untouchable car models for this generation. GTS will possibly have the best lighting as well and run smoothly at a high rendered resolution. But I'm disappointed.

The efforts that has been put into car models and lighting hasn't been seen elsewhere in the game, and as a long time fan who's in love with the series: I am very disappointed.

Future proofing models is fine, but is taking so long to accomplish, is it really acceptable? Is this what we the real GT fans wanted? No.

I am certain I speak for the majority when I say we would have preferred other things prioritized this time around.

Instead of the best car models, I wanted the best sound (engine, effects, etc), the best physics, the most realistic whether effects (how impressed are we when it's not dynamic?), Time of day transition, realistic visual and performance impacting damage (something a step above all other titles), AI, Campaign and of course online racing.

While I am confident they will nail online racing, I fear (really fear) they will fall behind with the other very important features.

None of us can appreciate the level of detail in theses models unless we are focused on Scapes. This should be a racing game first and foremost.

I would gladly take dynamic resolution over dedicated "4k" if it meant we would see phenomenal dynamic weather effects, mind blowing visual damage, time of day transitions and the best car racing audio on the planet. This would make it a must buy for me and many others.

I should be more excited than this. Not worried. I feel betrayed. Because I LOVE GRAN TURISMO.

It has been the case for many iterations of the game though. I think ever since GT3, there has been an huge importance on pristine and graphics and car models. GT1 and GT2 seemed to be relatively free from this curse, but then came GT3, and we saw a serious down-scaling in both features and assets, with a stunning leap forward in graphics. Since then, it's seemed to be all about the looks. And seriously - future proofing any form of tech is an absolute exercise in futility.

Back