GT Sport ready for future console generations and output resolutions

• Thread starter Roxanne
  • 135 comments
Even though the GT5 premium car future-proofing comment was very controversial, I think the visuals of GT Sport look like they could continue to wow for another 10 years. Especially if consoles will continue the trend of slight improvements over massive generational leaps.

Considering the fact that 4K is still not very wide-spread, 8K console gaming is probably very, very far off. I think it is currently available in the PC space, but how many PC users really have a machine that is capable of 8K output?

Considering the fact that 4K is still not very wide-spread
It'll be fairly widespread by the end of the year when the XBOX releases. Still, I don't imagine we'll see any TV makers dive into that so soon, when 4k is barely starting to get a foothold. Hopefully with how beautiful 4k even is, they hold onto that resolution for a bit. I'd hate to have to continuously update my hardware :lol:

It'll be fairly widespread by the end of the year when the XBOX releases. Still, I don't imagine we'll see any TV makers dive into that so soon, when 4k is barely starting to get a foothold. Hopefully with how beautiful 4k even is, they hold onto that resolution for a bit. I'd hate to have to continuously update my hardware :lol:

Yes on the gaming front, 4K is present and is taking off, but tv broadcasts and streaming services are barely offering any content. There isn't much 4K to satisfy anyone who does not play video games. That'll have to happen and have been around for a while before we can start thinking about adopting 8K. Nice to know that devs. are thinking about these things and us gamers will continue to be taken care of though.

I agree about updating hardaware - I still have plans to hold out on a good 4K TV for another year or two 👍

It'll be fairly widespread by the end of the year when the XBOX releases.

I guess that would depend on your definition of widespread and your definition of 4K.
Before the PS5 releases, the XboxX will account for 10% of current gen sales? To me, that's not widespread and since the console itself will be held back by xbone/ps4 for years to come, it's not going to be a true 4k console, either.

Hopefully with how beautiful 4k even is, they hold onto that resolution for a bit.

Wasn't it said that 4K was just a stopgap when it was first being showcased?

I guess that would depend on your definition of widespread and your definition of 4K.
Before the PS5 releases, the XboxX will account for 10% of current gen sales? To me, that's not widespread and since the console itself will be held back by xbone/ps4 for years to come, it's not going to be a true 4k console, either.
That's true, I think that was a misuse on my part. I think what my point is that it was available at a relatively cheaper price in comparison to the alternative, which is a gaming PC. It'll be easier, and cheaper for people to finally just dive into a 4k machine with little issue, which I believe will make it more appealing of the bunch, and probably create a push for those on consoles.

So in short, easily obtainable and ready, compared to the alternative.

I don't believe the consoles are going to be held back on its 4k capabilities since games that run on the XBOX( X Box One X, no need for an extra X :P) are getting their specific patches when you pop that game into the new XBOX console. That's not to say I don't think that the base is going to hold it back in different area's though.

I'm not sure.

So it looks like GT Sport will release with minimal content at launch, and then be continuously updated over the remainder of the PS4's lifecycle with new content. From there it might be ported to the PS5?

IDK this whole GT Sport as a service rather than making GT7 after is kind of annoying me, oh well. Still excited for online racing.

I'm still using a 1080p TV, my life.

So it looks like GT Sport will release with minimal content at launch, and then be continuously updated over the remainder of the PS4's lifecycle with new content. From there it might be ported to the PS5?

IDK this whole GT Sport as a service rather than making GT7 after is kind of annoying me, oh well. Still excited for online racing.

I'm still using a 1080p TV, my life.
There is no guarantee of continual updates. Loads of DLC were promised for GT6 pre-release that never materialized. If it happens it happens but anyone counting on that is standing on house of cards.

Yes. 8K was being worked on ahead of the Olympics in Japan before 4K was even out over here. It was said to be the maximum the human eye can see detail wise. That was a reasonably big screen with the person watching it inches away from the screen. It was shown on a BBC news program called Click.

There is no guarantee of continual updates. Loads of DLC were promised for GT6 pre-release that never materialized. If it happens it happens but anyone counting on that is standing on house of cards.
The GT6 dlc situation does not center anything with GTsport.
GT6 came out at the worst possible time, ie with ps3 now retired and with ps4 now on the door, so it's logical to think that massively supporting a game for a couple of years on a dead platform would have made no sense because it would be a Inexpensive investment at the economic level.
I'm surprised to PD supported itfor more than a year.
GTsport has been developed in full maturity of ps4 and will have at least 3 years of support (obviously if there is not will be a new GT chapter on ps4).
Honestly, looking at the facts, I would not take GT6 dlc management as an example to predict how it might be on GTsport :D

GT6 came out at the worst possible time, ie with ps3 now retired and with ps4 now on the door, so it's logical to think that massively supporting a game for a couple of years on a dead platform would have made no sense because it would be a Inexpensive investment at the economic level.
All things Sony knew long before the game came out, yet still made the announcements and let Kaz give the interviews that he did.

I'm surprised to PD supported itfor more than a year.
GTsport has been developed in full maturity of ps4 and will have at least 3 years of support (obviously if there is not will be a new GT chapter on ps4).
Honestly, looking at the facts, I would not take GT6 dlc management as an example to predict how it might be on GTsport :D

GTS hadn't even come out yet and PD had failed in 2 things already: beta and release date posptoned by a year.

Also, you're very certain and optimistic with 3 years of DLC support. 1 per year? per month? per quarter?

I'm surprised to who supported it for more than a year.
GTsport has been developed in full maturity of ps4 and will have at least 3 years of support (obviously if there will be a new GT chapter on ps4).
Always excuses. GT5 and GT6 provide 7 years of recent history and is our best indication at this point of PD's treatment of DLC. They sold 17 million games on the PS3. 17 million. Regardless of which platform the games were released on, millions of people bought the games. They should get treated like second class customers because PD decided to release too late on the PS3? If any series cried out for good DLC support this was it. Fans were hungry for it if this forum was any indication. It's not a good record. It absolutely pales in comparison to Forza and can't even hold up to a crowd funded game like PCARS1 or even the little, tiny Assetto Corsa. That's all we have to go on. You can dismiss it as I expected you would but that's there track record so far and it remains up to PD to improve it to play catch up to small budget devs like SMS and Kunos and to kick it into overdrive to even come close to the Forza series.

Ignoring all the other nonsense you posted, this news of GT Sport's post-release support is huge. Can we have a source for this unexpected new development?

GTS hadn't even come out yet and PD had failed in 2 things already: beta and release date posptoned by a year.

Also, you're very certain and optimistic with 3 years of DLC support. 1 per year? per month? per quarter?
The beta and the game were postponed for one year fortunately, but there was no change of schedule after this delay.
PD is famous for the possible delays by now, a bit of everyone, we look forward to itXD

Regarding the dlc I am basing on what kaz said and that GTsport could have a number of cars between 400 and 500, this means that they have internally planned how the game should be supported.

Regarding the 3-year support for the game, just today this interview came out where yoshida says that ps4 will have full support up to 2020 as a minimum:
http://www.dualshockers.com/sony-ps4-console-cycle-fate-grand-order-everybody-golf/

Of course the whole question is to know if this will be the only GT for ps4 because, if it is, it will have support for the whole generation.

And another important thing, Kaz said to an Italian reporter that the models they are creating have a modeling and detail so high that it serves them to be able to re-use them for the next generation of consoles, in fact the models we see on GTsport Those models are scaled to run on ps4.
So all the work they will do on GTsport will serve them in the future so more things will put in the game the more things we will have right away for the new chapter.

The beta and the game were postponed for one year fortunately, but there was no change of schedule after this delay.
PD is famous for the possible delays by now, a bit of everyone, we look forward to itXD

Regarding the dlc I am basing on what kaz said and that GTsport could have a number of cars between 400 and 500, this means that they have internally planned how the game should be supported.

Regarding the 3-year support for the game, just today this interview came out where yoshida says that ps4 will have full support up to 2020 as a minimum:
http://www.dualshockers.com/sony-ps4-console-cycle-fate-grand-order-everybody-golf/

Of course the whole question is to know if this will be the only GT for ps4 because, if it is, it will have support for the whole generation.

And another important thing, Kaz said to an Italian reporter that the models they are creating have a modeling and detail so high that it serves them to be able to re-use them for the next generation of consoles, in fact the models we see on GTsport Those models are scaled to run on ps4.
So all the work they will do on GTsport will serve them in the future so more things will put in the game the more things we will have right away for the new chapter.

I reply with a post I made in the Car List thread:

Kaz:

“In the end, there will be around 4 to 5 hundred cars. All cars have been re-modeled, and there won’t be standard cars.”

PD says they can reach 500+ cars in GTS.
The game is coming out with ~180.

If we consider that the PS4 will end its life cycle in by 2020 (which is reasonable IMO) and that PD won't release another GT game in this generation, that means they will have roughly 30 - 36 months to reach the 500+ number. That means 10 new cars each month.

And if each car model takes ~6 months to make according to PD, that means that at any given moment (including now), PD needs 6 teams of 10 full time (8h) employees, each team developing 10 new cars to be released at the same time. These teams need to be working already and would only stop by the end of 2019.

If these teams are outsourced, it will get expensive as hell. And that might be the end of free DLC. Who knows.

If we get 5 cars a month, we will only get to 500+ in 2022/23. lol By the same token, to reach 500+ by the end of 2018, they'd need to release over 22 cars per month, starting in November this year.

Even if we take the 400 number, that would mean over 6 cars per month until mid 2020.
___

And we're not even talking about other content, like tracks.

I don't believe they can do it. At all... Although I'd love that to happen ofc.

Ignoring all the other nonsense you posted, this news of GT Sport's post-release support is huge. Can we have a source for this unexpected new development?
Since what I write is annoying, apparently, and we are coming to the insults saying I'm nonsense, I will not write more in this forum :)

Good continuation and good flame on GT and for courtesy change the name of the site that would be best for everyone so it is not misleading for new members :)

Greetings :)

You mean like how they did for all of the Premium cars he said the same thing for?

"Quantum Leap in DLC"
"30 VGT's in one year"
"One new track per month"

I'll believe the 500 cars and support until 2020 when I see it.

Yeah this confirms it, Kaz and Ken Kutaragi are long lost twins who were separated at birth

Both were on the cutting edge. But at what cost?

Ugggghhh

He said this about the premium models in the PS3 era, hardly any of those made it to the PS4, now he's saying the same things with a new game with even less content, and PD haven't even put out anything for this generation yet... I appreciate new technologies, but so far it's only proven to strangle the amount of content we get in the game.

It will be interesting to see if GT Sport can be made to last cross-generation. I do think it's possible to make a game last a long time with quality post-launch support (I think GTA V is one of the best examples of that), but PD doesn't have a good track record of making it happen. And using the GTA V example, support for PS3/X360 eventually had to be dropped due to lack of memory to power new content.

I think PD are definitely still capable of making well-rounded high quality software, but they just aren't making the right decisions to make it happen right now.

Last edited:
Oh for 🤬 sake!

Finish one project completely before thinking of future projects!

I feel like he'd be a terrible shop owner/restorer. He'd constantly shaft his customers extending the build times and coming up with excuse after excuse...

This is like telling an owner he's not gonna finish his V8 restomod because the body can't handle it... so instead he's upgrading and stiffening the shell to fit a hypothetical V12/W12 that has no release date, let alone blueprints.

Last edited:
Not sure if this was posted already before but here is another statement from Kaz' how he describes that GT Sport will be ready even for a PS5 with 8K support.

https://www.finder.com.au/gran-turismo-8k-playstation-5

Regards
Roxanne

if this was posted before, then sorry. Feel free to delete this post.
Yep. And so was GT5, and GT6....but oh, wait, they weren't.

I'm sure it's been said already but why would you believe anything this man says?

“The level of precision we’ve achieved [in GT5] is actually more suited to the next generation of machines. The detail that goes into a premium model [has] gone beyond the level of the current PlayStation.”

*burns everything down and starts from scratch*

He said this about GT5 premiums lol...anyone who believes anything Kaz says is setting themselves up for disappointment.

These games are developed on computers and console ports are on hardware like a 5+ year old PC. So, they have to cut somewhere for optimization of fps. These games on the PC side are hard enough to run at ultra detail settings even with the latest pc builds and having minimal frame drops. Unfortunately, the current standard on consoles will need to improve with releases probably every 3 years. The XBOX ONE X has not even been released and specs are like a 5 yr old cpu with a 2-3 yr old GPU.

Back