GT Sport to not feature single player 'career' events/races?

• Thread starter Samus
  • 637 comments

How would you feel if there was no traditional single player 'career' in GT Sport?

• Not happy and I won't buy a GT game without one

Votes: 199 43.7%
  • Not happy but i'll still buy a GT game without one

Votes: 181 39.8%
  • I don't mind, if one is there I'll play it but prefer online

Votes: 50 11.0%
  • I don't care at all, I don't want/need a single player career, will play online

Votes: 25 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You'll probably unlock normal races quicker but I'll be amazed if everyone doesn't have to do the mundane tests first.

It would be nice if your GT6 Completion rate which is saved on your PSN profile could be used to unlock content.

It would be nice if your GT6 Completion rate which is saved on your PSN profile could be used to unlock content.

Indeed, I've been saying for years GT is wrong to treat everyone as a beginner in each game but they've never done it, everyone starts off at the bottom doing basic, simple stopping/starting tests whether they're a 7yo playing for the first time, have played every previous GT or is literally a real life racing driver.

Plus, it does say this on the site so I wouldn't hold you breath.

0-1000m stopping and "Basics of cornering in an FF car" it is for everyone.

0-1000m stopping and "Basics of cornering in an FF car" it is for everyone.

On the plus side (for some of us, anyway), if we're sticking to tradition, it'd mean the new Demio has to be in the game, and I'd be more than okay with that. :P

There's no reason to not offer legacy bonuses/bypasses to players of previous games. Make it optional, so those keen to start from step one can still do so. Win-win.

Maybe it would be nice to brush up on the physics after all the project cars

Not like you can't do that by just going straight out to the track though, rather than driving an MX-5 around one corner.

proxy.php

Okay, it's definitely not THAT bad.

Even when I was 10 years old playing GT2, I wasn't useless enough at understanding cars that I needed to be taught what the brakes on a car do.
Even when I was 10 years old, playing GT2 for the first time, I understood that the first entire licence block, and occasionally fairly far into the second as well, was nothing more than rote memorization of the best time to push whatever buttons would get you a gold time; rather than actually teaching you anything about racecraft or driving skills.
Even when I was 10 years old, playing GT2 for the first time, I understood the concepts that PD liked to pretend that the licences taught you enough that I knew I didn't need to spend hours slaving through that crap before it let me race against idiot AI drivers.

That was 16 years of playing GT games ago. The only time they ever got better was when they let you just not do them in GT5.

Last edited:
Even when I was 10 years old playing GT2, I wasn't useless enough at understanding cars that I needed to be taught what the brakes on a car do.
Even when I was 10 years old, playing GT2 for the first time, I understood that the first entire licence block, and occasionally fairly far into the second as well, was nothing more than rote memorization of the best time to push whatever buttons would get you a gold time; rather than actually teaching you anything about racecraft or driving skills.
Even at 10 years old, I understood the concepts that PD liked to pretend that the licences taught you enough that I knew I didn't need to spend hours slaving through that crap before it let me race against idiot AI drivers or moronic online players.
It's especially hilarious that the fastest way to complete the start/stop tests was to lock up the brakes and turn the car 90 degrees while doing. Great thing to teach the kiddies and noobs about how to be a safe and courteous online competitor. :lol:

Am I the only one that likes license test to start from the very basics everytime? It's a rite of passage for a GT game. At best (if you aim for gold), it helps polish up your skills when you've gotten complacent. At worst, it's a nice and structured way to get to grips with the new physics model, while testing out a wide variety of cars & tracks quickly.

Even the most basic B1 braking test, I always aim to get gold in first try. If you can't do that, then you can still improve your brake timing "feel". Of course anyone can get gold if they memorize the timing, but getting it first try is the challenge ;)

From what we've seen all of the offline events in GTS seem to be small missions than proper races. If you're a pro you could probably do all 100+ in a day (assume one takes 5 mins including loading times, that would take 8 hours smashing through). If you're a beginner then it would help teach you the basics. if you're a mid level driver it's good to have a refresher anyway. Also, if you can't go online without passing every event that will help filter out the bad drivers who can't be arsed to drive properly. Small price to pay for a much better online experience 👍

Probably not but they should be optional to those who have already done it 6 times over.

Wouldn't it be great if every new GT game can read your save from previous games? I think Forza does this where you can get a credit bonus if you've played a previous game (loyalty rewards or something).

I'd still do all the tests though. It's just one of those GT things that you don't get in any other game :D

It's especially hilarious that the fastest way to complete the start/stop tests was to lock up the brakes and turn the car 90 degrees while doing. Great thing to teach the kiddies and noobs about how to be a safe and courteous online competitor. :lol:

Even better, GT5 had quite a few of those tests that were like the 3 lap magic special events in GT4, or sections of tracks where you pass multiple drivers. Those (excluding the rally tests in every game and possibly the Super Licences of every game) are the only ones in the series that really ever taught me anything about the physics of whatever game I happened to be playing.

Safe passing. Drafting to make up speed deficits. What is a safe overtake and what is possibly too dangerous to try. How hard you can push a car and keep it under control in an actual race setting. All stuff that could be very useful in an online game, even if the AI is idiotic.

That is a legitimately difficult event that takes quite a lot of actual learned skill application to complete. That's an event that I know was useful when I raced online in that track (which was rare, but did happen). That was an event that I pulled my hair out over, but was proud of my achievement when I got gold because I knew I learned the track and the car better. I lost my save in a PS3 HDD crash about 4 months after launch, and the second time around I was breezing through everything but I was dreading that event.

So of course, you have to imagine my amazement when there was a several patch period between the game's launch and Spec II where they shut off the failure condition if you hit the AI drivers, no matter how hard you speared them. You can also likely imagine how difficult the test was then.

At worst, it's a nice and structured way to get to grips with the new physics model, while testing out a wide variety of cars & tracks quickly.

That's not even close to "at worst". Rally tests teach you things. Overtaking licences teach you things. Super licences can teach you things. Overviews of extremely technical courses or sections of courses can teach you things. GT4 actually was pretty decent with that last one.

"What is the exact speed I need to hit when I hit the brakes to get a gold and get this stupid thing done with" doesn't teach you anything, and "this damn car is so slow all you need to do is stay on the throttle and hug the inside line of this single turn" doesn't teach you anything; and that's probably half of the typical B-Licence block of a typical GT game right there.

Am I the only one that likes license test to start from the very basics everytime? It's a rite of passage for a GT game. At best (if you aim for gold), it helps polish up your skills when you've gotten complacent. At worst, it's a nice and structured way to get to grips with the new physics model, while testing out a wide variety of cars & tracks quickly.

There's a certain charm in it, absolutely, but I can understand why people don't want to be forced through them.

Wouldn't it be great if every new GT game can read your save from previous games? I think Forza does this where you can get a credit bonus if you've played a previous game (loyalty rewards or something).

I'd still do all the tests though. It's just one of those GT things that you don't get in any other game :D

Yeah, Forza's been doing it for a while. By my count, I should be starting FH3 with approximately a dozen cars, but no extra credits according to T10 yet. It was a little overkill in FM6: if you satisfied certain requirements, you could start the game with as much as 25 million credits. :eek:

I've forced myself to do the license tests as early as possible in every GT game I've bought myself (so, since GT2). For me, it's totally a nostalgia thing, but I've never felt like I've been learning anything from them I don't already know, except maybe the layout of a new track.

Also, if you can't go online without passing every event that will help filter out the bad drivers who can't be arsed to drive properly. Small price to pay for a much better online experience 👍

That's a Catch-22 though: lock folks out of online, in a predominantly online-focused game, and you're left with a smaller online community and possibly a shorter lifespan outside of the diehards.

If GTS won't let players go online until they're done every mission/driving test, it sort of goes against the inclusionary "everyone can play" message they're pushing, right? :P

Totally a guess of course but I'd say they'll let you go online normally just after doing the 10 beginners lessons, maybe the 10 etiquette ones as well. Certainly not all 117 though. The FIA events may require that but then the people doing that are going to be serious racers anyway, so will force themselves through them to get to their goal.

Maybe it would be nice to treat people who have been playing the series since 1998 like they aren't recovering from a stroke between each title.

License tests weren't mandatory in GT5 and 6 and I wouldn't equate a quick intro race (which just about every game forces you to run) with the full-on license tests of old. So I do think they've improved.

I would be surprised if there are future released in the Sport generation if they didn't carry over achievements or at least the FIA license if you achieve it.

As the start of the new generation I think it is okay this time to force a start from scratch especially considering all this talk on a focus on clean driving and sportsmanship, we have yet to see how the events have been refined and implemented. As above in the past there were times where they taught poor driving techniques but now they are telling us that during these events we will be judged not only on performance but safety or sportsmanship as well so depending on exactly how the system rates us this could really change the way these events are presented or at the very least the result could be very different. For example perhaps they will have a cornering test that allows you to get a better result by taking a fairly big cut, perhaps you can almost get all 4 tyres off with just the inside tyres riding the curb and the other 2 off track, perhaps it will let you do this giving you a higher performance score but a low sportsmanship score and perhaps the highest level you can achieve is to take the slightly slower route where only the outside tyres ride the curb.

I just think we know so little about this and people are just assuming that it is the same as the past but I think the other stuff we now know such as being judged on both performance and sportsmanship during these event and that it will form a part of our matchmaking that I know enough at least to think that the approach they say they are taking is the most appealing approach I have seen in any game ever and I look forward to see if they can get the elements right because if they do then this could be the best game ever.

7HO
For example perhaps they will have a cornering test that allows you to get a better result by taking a fairly big cut, perhaps you can almost get all 4 tyres off with just the inside tyres riding the curb and the other 2 off track, perhaps it will let you do this giving you a higher performance score but a low sportsmanship score and perhaps the highest level you can achieve is to take the slightly slower route where only the outside tyres ride the curb.
Terrible example. There's nothing unsporting about flirting with the track limits. The track limits are the track limits, it's an in/out or on/off situation. You are either legally on the track or you are not. In your example it should be pass/fail and nothing more. If anything, there should be an exercise or two on learning the track limits and what you can and cannot do without being disqualified or penalized in an online competition.

Terrible example. There's nothing unsporting about flirting with the track limits. The track limits are the track limits, it's an in/out or on/off situation. You are either legally on the track or you are not. In your example it should be pass/fail and nothing more. If anything, there should be an exercise or two on learning the track limits and what you can and cannot do without being disqualified or penalized in an online competition.

For starters what i described was actually outside the track limits.

That is Kaz's decision and the direction of this game, he has already said that taking cuts will affect your rating so it would seem instead of using something like a penalty for a cut it would instead drop your rating level so that you would be racing at a lower level and similar to if you performed slower except if the Sportsmanship rating is actually a separate rating system it wouldn't actually put you with slower drivers it would put you with dirtier drivers more likely to wreck you. Either way taking a corner cut in a game for a perceived advantage would result in a disadvantage in future races as it would disqualify you from competing at a higher level.

That is why I used that as an example because he also said you would be rated during the offline events and this would initially be the basis of matchmaking, clearly that can't work if everyone gets the same result after passing every test, clearly during these events the system is calculating both Sportmanship rating and Performance rating.

...So, the game needs to be "always online"? I knew of the truncated SP, but not to this extent. Wowsers.

Sports Mode seems like a reskinned Seasonal Events - a mixture of MP and SP.

Dunno what to think now. I was seriously considering Day One, but then all this info makes me wary...
Pretty sure you can play Arcade offline as per usual. That's where I spend all my time.

If it didn't have any single player content at all (like iRacing), then I flat out wouldn't buy it. If it just ends up having a bunch of license tests or missions I'll still probably buy it when it drops to $20 or something, but sure as hell not at anywhere close to full price.

Arcade mode implies to me that the physics are dumbed down for that mode. Am I wrong?
I actually stayed well away from Arcade mode of over 18 months of ownership due to the dumbed down physics found in GT 1-4. (I never bothered with GT5) Until i realised that it is the same physics model as far as I can tell.

To my suprise, Arcade mode now makes up probably 40% of my time spent in the game, and the rest is doing online seasonal events.

I seem to remember a lot of complaints that people would tune cars in the arcade mode and then the car would behave completely differently online.

I seem to remember a lot of complaints that people would tune cars in the arcade mode and then the car would behave completely differently online.
That was probably the whole offline vs. online physics issue in GT5 which was definitely a real thing. Cars just had more grip offline until it was patched at some point quite some time after release.

Back