GT Sport to not feature single player 'career' events/races?

• Thread starter Samus
  • 637 comments

How would you feel if there was no traditional single player 'career' in GT Sport?

• Not happy and I won't buy a GT game without one

Votes: 199 43.7%
  • Not happy but i'll still buy a GT game without one

Votes: 181 39.8%
  • I don't mind, if one is there I'll play it but prefer online

Votes: 50 11.0%
  • I don't care at all, I don't want/need a single player career, will play online

Votes: 25 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sorry but where does he say there will be no career or campaign mode?

The evidence is laid out in the first post with facts, it's up to you how you want to interpret it.

To me it's quite clear, 'Sport Mode' is the main, leading mode of this game and it's entirely online. Some people are hoping the classic SP career is going to pop up somewhere but I just do not see where, or how, given their focus on the Sport mode so far and his comments that this is the rebirth of the series, essentially.

As the link @Tassie_tiger provides it clearly states that 'Campaign Mode' is the offline content of the game and they've already detailed what that entails, as per the OP.

I just do not see in the coming months Kaz saying "Surprise" and up pops something like we've seen in 1-6, with basic cars, custom parts, building your garage up and taking on a single player career. Nothing they've said or shown so far suggests that is something GT Sport is going to be about.

But, actually, it's just a bad example because BMW have been making motorcycles longer than they have cars. ;)

It's not a bad example, because I'm suggesting that's what would happen if they restricted themselves to ONLY making scooters and tractors. People who liked all the other things they made would be pissed off.

Ditto GTS. It may be a fine game, but by throwing out so many of the things that might be seen as "fundamental" Gran Turismo concepts they risk alienating people who grew to like Gran Turismo over the last twenty years or so. So much the worse for them, you might say, but I think it's reasonable that people be somewhat miffed when a certain brand that they have come to like suddenly decides that it's no longer going to make the product that they like.

It's not a bad example, because I'm suggesting that's what would happen if they restricted themselves to ONLY making scooters and tractors. People who liked all the other things they made would be pissed off.

Ditto GTS. It may be a fine game, but by throwing out so many of the things that might be seen as "fundamental" Gran Turismo concepts they risk alienating people who grew to like Gran Turismo over the last twenty years or so. So much the worse for them, you might say, but I think it's reasonable that people be somewhat miffed when a certain brand that they have come to like suddenly decides that it's no longer going to make the product that they like.
So when BMW announced the new F700 recently, fans of the E30 would be justified in complaining that it's not made for them?

Is this the one and final expression of Gran Turismo, or will there be more to follow that might better cater to a larger or simply different audience?

Don't get me wrong, Sport is not aimed at me. But why should I feel justified in being up in arms about it when I have no stake save an emotional one?

This is potentially a very long discussion, but racing games just aren't popular, in the grand scheme of things. So why shouldn't PD try to ensure their long term survival with little side-projects (TT) and core experiments (Prologues)?

Is this really the end of GT as we know it? Unlikely. Is this the diversification so many people were screaming for? Most certainly! Will it work? Time to find out...

So when BMW announced the new F700 recently, fans of the E30 would be justified in complaining that it's not made for them?

I can't help you if you can't see the difference between making A scooter or tractor and making ONLY scooters and tractors.

If you'd like to continue the discussion after you stop intentionally misinterpreting what I'm saying, that'd be nice.

I can't help you if you can't see the difference between making A scooter or tractor and making ONLY scooters and tractors.

If you'd like to continue the discussion after you stop intentionally misinterpreting what I'm saying, that'd be nice.
But PD, evidently, have not ONLY made one type of game. Seen?

But PD, evidently, have not ONLY made one type of game. Seen?

Making. The word is making, not made. We're not talking about history here, we're talking about the current offering.

How many games is Polyphony making? How many games are going to be on sale for the most current hardware at the end of this year?

We don't know for sure, but I'm going to put my money on it being one. That one is GTS, and that's what they're making. That is one game, of a specific type that overlaps only a little with the historic Gran Turismo formula.

Do you want to give up on your poorly chosen smart-alec quip, or would you like to keep going?

Making. The word is making, not made. We're not talking about history here, we're talking about the current offering.

How many games is Polyphony making? How many games are going to be on sale for the most current hardware at the end of this year?

We don't know for sure, but I'm going to put my money on it being one. That one is GTS, and that's what they're making. That is one game, of a specific type that overlaps only a little with the historic Gran Turismo formula.

Do you want to give up on your poorly chosen smart-alec quip, or would you like to keep going?
History is everything. That's all that is being called upon here. GT Sport is not like the games that came before, that is the principle argument.

So how exactly are cars and scooters and tractors different from each other in an equivalent sense to the way that GT Sport differs from its forebears? That is what you are suggesting.

Of course, BMW are not making tractors (except the GSs, which should have been the obvious hint to you that it was just a tongue in cheek comment, "smart-alec quip") so how does that factor into your supposed argument?

What if PD had announced that they were going to concentrate on their roots and bring Motor Toon Grand Prix back?

It's all history.

I would like to have a career mode, because I don't always like interacting online, sometimes just for a good race offline is nice, just enjoy it without the pressure that your racing against living, breathing people, as long as the AI is good and keep up in fine.

So to me this is essentially confirmed now I've seen this. In promotional blurbs sent out to retailers they have 8 or so headings for the features/content of the game. One of them is 'Race Offline'.

Race Offline
Build your personalized garage and compete in an endless array of challenges in Campaign Mode or further improve your skills through Arcade (Single Race, Time Trial, Drift Trial, and 2- Player Split Screen).

That is a rather clear overview of what racing offline entails. An array of challenges in Campaign Mode or Arcade Mode with single races, as with every other GT game. How do you 'build your garage'? I assume with payouts from the challenges and maybe Arcade Mode.

There is no traditional single player career mode in GT Sport, or at least one planned for day 1 launch. Challenges in Campaign Mode (Which are outlined in the OP) and Arcade Mode is it.

That just leaves one hope for those who prefer SP, an event creator in Arcade Mode. I'll be amazed if it happens though, I'm expecting just those same old options in parentheses above. At least at launch.

So to me this is essentially confirmed now I've seen this. In promotional blurbs sent out to retailers they have 8 or so headings for the features/content of the game. One of them is 'Race Offline'.

That is a rather clear overview of what racing offline entails. An array of challenges in Campaign Mode or Arcade Mode with single races, as with every other GT game. How do you 'build your garage'? I assume with payouts from the challenges and maybe Arcade Mode.

There is no traditional single player career mode in GT Sport, or at least one planned for day 1 launch. Challenges in Campaign Mode (Which are outlined in the OP) and Arcade Mode is it.

That just leaves one hope for those who prefer SP, an event creator in Arcade Mode. I'll be amazed if it happens though, I'm expecting just those same old options in parentheses above. At least at launch.
I think online racing is intended to provide the funds for building your garage. In the past, if you raced online and weren't very good you didn't win much in terms of money but I'd guess PD is assuming that with matchmaking, winnings will be much more evenly spread and it'll be possible to build a garage based on online winnings.

I sure hope that isn't the case. Imo if you don't earn serious money even when finishing below 5th I guess you could kiss the Sports mode good bye unless you get to use courtesy cars for the live events...

There is of course Arcade Mode.
A lot of the footage we have already seen and many people's reviews are from Single Player.
Perhaps Arcade has more depth to it this time where we can re-create Career type events if we want to.
Although I guess that almost describes how Arcade Mode has always been to some extent.

But yes, as it stands, to lose Career Mode and the ability to follow the progression while winning some cars along the way, is very disappointing.
One of the biggest negatives so far for GT Sport.
If I can set up a race offline on any track with any car against competitive and believable AI and the same physics as online (arcade mode description is a bit worrying, dumbed down physics?) I'll be happy, that's the only offline content I require though I understand the upset by some at no campaign mode though this is not where GTS is headed. Wait for GT7 for that.

Well, that's a tragedy. RIP to the GT we've always known. Funny cause Kaz says it's a full GT title that has the roots of GT1. It's either a loss in translation or he's not in the right state of mind.

Arcade mode without progression is almost pointless to ME. Building my garage is pointless too. With the format, they should just provide the cars for the major online events. Maybe trophies will be my motive and sense of progression.

With the overwhelming defeat of best racing game showing at E3, I think it's a clear indication GT is losing their share in the racing genre and with how GT Sport is presented, it's only going to get worst. I guess out won't matter since their main goal is that FIA competition which probably a very few percentage of elites will take it seriously to heart.

That's really depressing.
image_zpsgbb6wmnp.png

Yeah, if event creator with reasonable CR reward is in arcade mode, I could still enjoy GTS.

It's even more frustrating to remember that they had these things working in older games.

I hope that, since the hardware is playing ball in respect of PD's technology ambitions, they can begin to settle down and look back over what they achieved in the past; then figure out a way to squeeze it all together into one package.

If I can set up a race offline on any track with any car against competitive and believable AI and the same physics as online (arcade mode description is a bit worrying, dumbed down physics?) I'll be happy, that's the only offline content I require though I understand the upset by some at no campaign mode though this is not where GTS is headed. Wait for GT7 for that.
'Arcade mode' in racing games just typically means quick access and unstructured. I highly doubt it will have anything to do with the driving model/physics.

I want Dirty NASCAR ...all of us know the rules... That's the only thing I liked online.

Otherwise I do not want to socialize... I am happy with the AI and my tracks

If you want to add new stuff like etiquette an all, please do but do not take away stuff that we are familiar and comfortable with.

I want Dirty NASCAR ...all of us know the rules... That's the only thing I liked online.

Otherwise I do not want to socialize... I am happy with the AI and my tracks

If you want to add new stuff like etiquette an all, please do but do not take away stuff that we are familiar and comfortable with.
I think so that it does not contain NASCAR...

It is difficult at the time of start, But once they start manners rating functions, I think can be matched with people preferring that play style.

I want Dirty NASCAR ...all of us know the rules...
What rules...? Turn Left.

'Arcade mode' in racing games just typically means quick access and unstructured. I highly doubt it will have anything to do with the driving model/physics.
In Early GT's Arcade mode had dumbed down physics.

ss3
I would like to have a career mode, because I don't always like interacting online, sometimes just for a good race offline is nice, just enjoy it without the pressure that your racing against living, breathing people, as long as the AI is good and keep up in fine.

ARCADE MODE
Does EXACTLY that.

ss3
sometimes just for a good race offline is nice, just enjoy it without the pressure that your racing against living, breathing people, as long as the AI is good and keep up in fine.

He's looking for an offline career, not arcade mode. Two different things.

He's looking for Offline Racing.

Which is available.

He's looking for Offline Racing.

Which is available.

That's a fantastic example of selective quoting. Let me help you out:

ss3

Bolded for emphasis.

I'd be perfectly happy with the current career and arcade modes in GT6 only if arcade mode actually contributed to your stats, car mileage and deterioration. Call me 'one of those' but that's what I want. Give me a quick career to gain credits for cars and then an offline arcade event creator to run these cars. Because yes, after completing the career mode winning peanuts via novice events is nearly pointless, and finding just the perfect online room is almost impossible (for me, at least).

Thinking back the only reason career mode was endearing was free cars. Winning them over and over, squirreling Speed 12s, and later CLK/RSC away for a rainy day the black beauties showed up...

After they made the prize cars 1 time affairs career mode became a once and done for me mostly. Online paid sooo much better, maybe too much considering.

Events like Sierra Time Rally needed more put into them... I would probably buy a GT game devoted just to Sierra and the rally because Outrun nostalgia.

I disagree. I pulled out GT3 last night just to see if it was rose tinted glasses or not. I bought a Miata, which cost almost all of my money, and then proceeded to get a gold and two silvers in the Sunday Cup. And the gold was close.

I had to take the money I'd won, go back, upgrade the car and redo the two races to win. I'm not the fastest driver but I'm not exactly slow either. It was a challenge, and that was the Sunday Cup.

Part of the fun of old style Gran Turismo was that you actually had to work and upgrade your car to stand a chance, particularly early on. Late game you tended to end up with too much money and just bought whatever was fastest and put a stage 4 turbo on it, but early on you actually had to work and budget what was the most bang for your buck.

It's actually pretty entertaining, and when you win a tough race because you saved up and built your car right it's quite rewarding.

Unfortunately, GT5 and particularly GT6 threw all this out the window in favour of the "everyone's a winner" style of racing. But that's not how it's always been, and there were times when at least part of the game was fun simply because it was challenging. Not just in that you had to drive fast, but that you had to buy and tune your own car within a budget.

All those Top Gear episodes where they have to buy some vehicle with $1000 or whatever? That's exactly what early game Gran Turismo is like.

Maybe I am jaded, I usually make Golding B and A a priority on GT3 then run with it. Minimal buy play style is something that breathed new life into the old games for me.

Back