GT Sport to not feature single player 'career' events/races?

• Thread starter Samus
  • 637 comments

How would you feel if there was no traditional single player 'career' in GT Sport?

• Not happy and I won't buy a GT game without one

Votes: 199 43.7%
  • Not happy but i'll still buy a GT game without one

Votes: 181 39.8%
  • I don't mind, if one is there I'll play it but prefer online

Votes: 50 11.0%
  • I don't care at all, I don't want/need a single player career, will play online

Votes: 25 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There are times where you want to play offline and spend hours racing in the various different races.
True,

but when your 500pp car is 3sec a lap faster than all the AI and there's stupid rubber-banding.
It's not fun.

I ran a iB Race last night
5 laps at bathurst, 650pp cars. Used my SLS AMG GT3 with turbo kit to get it up to 640pp
It ran 318km/h down conrod straight on lap 1, not using any slip-stream
Lap 2 (i wasd lading) it only just went over 302km/h,
That is rubbish that is not needed in Career mode

I seem to remember a lot of complaints that people would tune cars in the arcade mode and then the car would behave completely differently online.
That was offline vs online differences and nothing to do with Arcade mode. In GT5 you could have good races, with tyre and fuel use, if my memory is working correctly, and in practice mode single make races you could drop your tyres by two grades and get a good race out of it.

Unfortunately PD must have noticed that and well and truly put a stop to it in GT6.

A game without a good single player mode is unacceptable. It's not like it magically means you can't have a proper online mode or anything like that.

I wouldn't say that having no single player mode is unacceptable per se, but it's close. I wouldn't doubt that iRacing would sell a little better and have more participation if it had some sort of single player something or other.

So this is my cue to once again remind people to lobby for something. Cobbling together a single player campaign from what's in Sport now is unlikely. But what would be a workable, dare I say it, stand in for a single player game would be to put an Event Maker in Arcade Mode, or its own separate mode. If we could build our own races from single events all the way to mini (or not so mini) racing seasons, including championship races, that would be enough single player for many of us. I'd play the heck out of it.

So this is my cue to once again remind people to lobby for something.

Do you honestly think that is going to work? Where is this lobby supposed to take place, here? We know they read the forums but how much do they take notice, and how quickly? I don't think there is much if anything we can put down purely to being a fan request and not just something that just happened coincidentally.

I wouldn't doubt that iRacing would sell a little better and have more participation if it had some sort of single player something or other.
Do you really think people are more likely to spend $111/year and $15/track and $12/car if only iRacing also had some sort of single player? iRacings problem isn't the lack of single player and now that they are putting their prices up they are only making their problem worse. I guess after they put their price up they will need to put them up some more due to the loss of members.

7HO
Do you really think people are more likely to spend $111/year and $15/track and $12/car if only iRacing also had some sort of single player? iRacings problem isn't the lack of single player and now that they are putting their prices up they are only making their problem worse. I guess after they put their price up they will need to put them up some more due to the loss of members.
Agreed, there's only so many people that buy into a subscription service game and that's pretty small in a niche market such as racing - I doubt the presence of an offline game in iRacing would make any difference. iRacing would have to cover it's annual costs and if it loses members then they may have to either increase prices or give up.
I would imagine that GT Sport's esport championships with it's dedicated servers and live events will not be cheap to run either but with FIA backing those cost may be shared.

Do you honestly think that is going to work? Where is this lobby supposed to take place, here? We know they read the forums but how much do they take notice, and how quickly? I don't think there is much if anything we can put down purely to being a fan request and not just something that just happened coincidentally.
I'd say that the Livery Editor is a pretty good indication. In a small game like GT Sport? You could argue that a smallish game is the ideal place to try out a feature like that, but it could also be argued the other way, perhaps more soundly. It's quite a substantial feature to spend what is likely an equivalent sum of resources to develop for a small game. I would add damage to that, considering the reluctance Kazunori has expressed to interviewers pre-GT5 to damaging his lovely cars. Sound updates, huge tracks, Course Maker 2... there are a lot of coincidences we have received in Gran Turismo games over the past few years.

And isn't it still a meme around here that if we don't raise a fuss for certain things that Gran Turismo isn't going to change? Or is that just common sense when you want to see features added? ;)

Now as for iRenting as I jokingly refer to it on occasion, I was unaware the prices had gone up on the goods. But let's assume for a moment that the situation is like it was a few years ago, when it was explained to me that through sales and special deals you could get just about the whole shebang for a year for around $150 US. That's still a LOT of coin for a video game, even one so serious. But I'm still thinking that in our toy addicted age in which we live, some people spend $700 on a new phone without batting an eye. If iRacing had a single player offline situation of some kind, maybe with some Event Maker stuff like RaceRoom has or I propose, more people would buy into it simply because not all of us can budget time for strictly scheduled online events. I can tell you that as much as I love RaceRoom and SIMBIN's/Sector 3's games in general, it didn't interest me in the slightest until it included a decent amount of single player offline features. GT Sport's Arcade Mode might be enough for me, but an Event Maker would be far more satisfying to me, and most likely a bunch of the fans.

I'm asking. Nicely. Anyone with me? :D

GT Sport's Arcade Mode might be enough for me, but an Event Maker would be far more satisfying to me, and most likely a bunch of the fans.

I'm asking. Nicely. Anyone with me? :D
This is why I'm waiting for the reviews. I respect some offline player's views on here. If they give GTS the 👍 I'll buy in.

A lobby to ask something from PD? Like Samus said, PD just doesn't care.

They're too busy thinking they're perfectionists and creative geniuses to be able to take criticism, as constructive and reasonable as it may be. That's what angers you the most about them, the sheer disregard for their fanbase and, apparently, for their competition. In their perfect dream-world, not only they know better than the fans, they also are miles ahead from the competition! Yeah...right...

@Tenacious D 's argument about the livery editor is, contrary to what he believes, a proof of this. The livery editor is two or three entire games late, considering games from the PS2 era were already able to do it (PS1 era even! Ridge Racer Type 4, anyone?). Only until now, when the community has been asking it for almost a :censored:ing decade and when almost every other competitor has it do they decide "Oh, yeah, livery editor!". Yeah, our lobbying worked wonders right there...PD did listen AFTER ALL, but you gotta imagine the massive backlash if they hadn't...

Same thing with the event editor. We've been asking for it's return time and time and time and time again. And it's a simple feature, so simple that even GT2 had it! Alas, two games on the PS3 and all that "nightmarish" hardware...and they weren't able to do it...despite our constant "lobbying". That worked effectively as well! :lol:

Last edited:
Well this is disappointing to read. Even though I prefer racing online I've always given the single player a go, especially in GT and this must be even more disappointing for those looking forward more to the single player.

They're giving us a livery editor, good....but in the same way they remove 80% of the features of GT6. No thanks, i won't buy the game. I'm absolutely disappointed especially since it's pretty sure now that no real GT7 will be released.

There's a credit system in the game. There has to be a use for those credits (buying cars). Maybe there's no stage 3 turbo anymore, or no a-spec amateur championship, but those events were criticized anyway. I see it as a bit of win/lose and a bit of having this but not that. Some feel losing the a-spec is bad, but mostly that part of the game was called out for various reasons like slow computer controlled opponents or bland events. So if you have friends and online, you can setup your own championship. Or is it funner to race against the computer you can easily beat even if it is faster? I donno, seeing complaints on standard GT features like the braking tests in the license area are included makes me scratch my head. They take out the grind but keep a key feature like those tests or mission events (made popular in GT4 which imo is the best GT yet) but people complain about it? To me it seems if it's not one thing it's another. I just enjoy racing. Any racing. On any game that I can afford. GT Sport looks better than any other title I've seen that's not a NFS type deal. Auto buy for me.

There's a credit system in the game. There has to be a use for those credits (buying cars). Maybe there's no stage 3 turbo anymore, or no a-spec amateur championship, but those events were criticized anyway. I see it as a bit of win/lose and a bit of having this but not that. Some feel losing the a-spec is bad, but mostly that part of the game was called out for various reasons like slow computer controlled opponents or bland events. So if you have friends and online, you can setup your own championship. Or is it funner to race against the computer you can easily beat even if it is faster? I donno, seeing complaints on standard GT features like the braking tests in the license area are included makes me scratch my head. They take out the grind but keep a key feature like those tests or mission events (made popular in GT4 which imo is the best GT yet) but people complain about it? To me it seems if it's not one thing it's another. I just enjoy racing. Any racing. On any game that I can afford. GT Sport looks better than any other title I've seen that's not a NFS type deal. Auto buy for me.

First of all, just because events and AI were criticized in the past, doesn't mean they should be gone completely. We want them to be better.

Second, racing online against friends is NOT a substitution for a career mode.

Third, license tests and mission challenges/special events never made up the bulk of the career mode of any GT game. Furthermore, there are GT veterans here, myself included, who think license tests are a waste of time after we have been playing GT for many years. So of course we're not satisfied that most of the Campaign mode in Sport is composed of driving lessons.

First of all, just because events and AI were criticized in the past, doesn't mean they should be gone completely. We want them to be better.

Third, license tests and mission challenges/special events never made up the bulk of the career mode of any GT game. Furthermore, there are GT veterans here, myself included, who think license tests are a waste of time after we have been playing GT for many years. So of course we're not satisfied that most of the Campaign mode in Sport is composed of driving lessons.
There are 64 driving missions though...

[DEVELOPER]
Hi.
I'm going to build a game, It's a Simple Car Racing Game that Focuses on Specific Race Cars and Tracks and will have mostly online content to race against other real people in real-time

[CUSTOMER]
Hi.
I want to buy your game, but only if you have lots of offline content, And a course Maker, and I'm able to big silly wings on the car If I want, And I wan early 80's Japanese Kei Cars
I'm not Happy with you because you don;t want to give me this stuff.
I refuse to go elsewhere and buy a dfferent game
I'd prefer to just harass you until you give in and give me what I want
Then I'll complain about the frame-rate isn't 120FPS in 4K
And your game doesn't support my 1997 MadKatz Wheel with PS1 COnnector on it.

This is the type of commenting that confuses me. I never said the career events should be left out. That's what you start your post with. Conversating here is always negative because of things like that. I had every full gran turismo game. 1-6 and gt5 prologue. I liked the career. But needless races with super slow ai is not what anyone wants. I listened to the interview about gtsport being a new generation and heard nothing about everything from previous gt's being dropped. I don't assume anything, so I'm waiting for concrete info on what we have the option of doing. Some look at the negatives on things lost, some like to look forward to what the game does offer that's new. I see a little bit of both.

This is the type of commenting that confuses me. I never said the career events should be left out. That's what you start your post with. Conversating here is always negative because of things like that. I had every full gran turismo game. 1-6 and gt5 prologue. I liked the career. But needless races with super slow ai is not what anyone wants. I listened to the interview about gtsport being a new generation and heard nothing about everything from previous gt's being dropped. I don't assume anything, so I'm waiting for concrete info on what we have the option of doing. Some look at the negatives on things lost, some like to look forward to what the game does offer that's new. I see a little bit of both.
You were very dismissive in your last post about some of the elements that formed the heart and soul of the GT experience so far, hence, you get that kind of response. You're also trying to tell other people they were wrong about enjoying the prior games as they were because, "needless races with super slow ai is not what anyone wants". Apparently 10's of millions of people were quite happy with those needless races. Not everyone wants every race to be on the edge and super competitive and those people found a comfortable home in every GT game so far. Not hard to see why some of them are upset about the apparent direction GTSport is taking.

[DEVELOPER]
Hi.
I'm going to build a game, It's a Simple Car Racing Game that Focuses on Specific Race Cars and Tracks and will have mostly online content to race against other real people in real-time

[CUSTOMER]
Hi.
I want to buy your game, but only if you have lots of offline content, And a course Maker, and I'm able to big silly wings on the car If I want, And I wan early 80's Japanese Kei Cars
I'm not Happy with you because you don;t want to give me this stuff.
I refuse to go elsewhere and buy a dfferent game
I'd prefer to just harass you until you give in and give me what I want
Then I'll complain about the frame-rate isn't 120FPS in 4K
And your game doesn't support my 1997 MadKatz Wheel with PS1 COnnector on it.

[BMW]

We've decided that we will now only make scooters and tractors.

[CUSTOMERS WHO LIKE BMWs]

Wait, what?

There are 64 driving missions though...

proxy.php

If you look at this slide, there is a bronze, silver, and a gold time. So yes, while there are many of them, these missions are most likely scenarios where the car is provided to you, not full race events.

Okay, so where were you going then when you said this?

Some feel losing the a-spec is bad, but mostly that part of the game was called out for various reasons like slow computer controlled opponents or bland events. So if you have friends and online, you can setup your own championship. Or is it funner to race against the computer you can easily beat even if it is faster?

Here, you say the events and AI were criticized in previous games, then immediately brought up that we can race our friends online and asked would we rather do that or race against computer opponents that we can easily beat. If I misunderstood your post, then what was the point you were trying to make here? You didn't say anything after this about what should be done about slow AI and boring events.

Last edited:
There is of course Arcade Mode.
A lot of the footage we have already seen and many people's reviews are from Single Player.
Perhaps Arcade has more depth to it this time where we can re-create Career type events if we want to.
Although I guess that almost describes how Arcade Mode has always been to some extent.

But yes, as it stands, to lose Career Mode and the ability to follow the progression while winning some cars along the way, is very disappointing.
One of the biggest negatives so far for GT Sport.

I'm still on the fence about GT Sport not featuring a full-blown career mode. IF the online racing is good, the lack of this feature will pretty much be forgotten about, at least for me. I've had some great races online but then again I've had lots of bad ones too. An online career would be my dream...

[BMW]

We've decided that we will now only make scooters and tractors.

[CUSTOMERS WHO LIKE BMWs]

Wait, what?
Ahem. They already do that. :D
normal_34.jpg

R_1200_GS_Adventure.jpg

* apologies to any GS owners. :P

I think they call it "diversifying" or some other such market-o-speak.

But, actually, it's just a bad example because BMW have been making motorcycles longer than they have cars. ;)

Of course, BMW make markedly different products today than they did 20 years ago, and a lot of people are unhappy about it. So it goes.

Sorry but where does he say there will be no career or campaign mode?
What we know so far is that GTS will have what they've called 'Campaign Mode'.
It's been said that this is the new name for GT Mode (or Career).

And GTS Campaign Mode has 4 sections.
- Beginners School
- Circuit Experience
- Mission Challenge
- Racing Etiquette
for a total of 117 events.

So it doesn't seem to be equivalent to what we would normally call 'Career Mode'.
http://www.gran-turismo.com/au/products/gtsport/driving/

Latest Posts

Back