GT Sport to not feature single player 'career' events/races?

• Thread starter Samus
  • 637 comments

How would you feel if there was no traditional single player 'career' in GT Sport?

• Not happy and I won't buy a GT game without one

Votes: 199 43.7%
  • Not happy but i'll still buy a GT game without one

Votes: 181 39.8%
  • I don't mind, if one is there I'll play it but prefer online

Votes: 50 11.0%
  • I don't care at all, I don't want/need a single player career, will play online

Votes: 25 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Project Cars built a massive and immersive Career Mode out of about half that number of cars. Any series could take place on multiple tracks with 1-2 hour races (optional length of course), pit stops for fuel and tires etc. and a single series could take up to 30-40 hours or more to complete. There are hundreds of hours of offline gameplay in there if it's designed that way.

Yes, all of this. It is NOT hard to do that. Looking at these pictures, it really looks like it's mostly tutorial events to prepare for online racing, and that's it.

Maybe this is just a spin-off after all, and the reason it's not called GT7.

Your post made me want to play PCars again btw :lol:

I've always wanted them to have a major focus on online racing as I feel that is much more enjoyable than AI because let's be honest, a lot of us would have complained about the AI or linear events anyway. That being said,however, I believe the lack of a classic GT career could be fixed thanks to a very intuitive arcade mode, and since all the cars are looking to have fixed classes it should be possible to just create your own career.

If GTS's career mode AI is no better than GT6's, I'd rather have just online races. GT6's career mode lasted less than two weeks of game play for me, and from then on I just played online, time trials or arcade. I just hope the online categories are well managed in sorting players by their driving level and experience (and even by controller/wheel as an option). The old "from the bottom to the top" approach of traditional career modes is way past me.

Good spot @Samus i bet most people didn't realize this yet (myself included).

As a singleplayer gamer, this is the worst news for me. :( I can accept a GT game with mediocre gameplay and physics, ugly graphics and awful sounds, but a GT without a true career... :guilty:
Wow :eek:, you don't set the bar high do you? ;)

I've always wanted them to have a major focus on online racing as I feel that is much more enjoyable than AI because let's be honest, a lot of us would have complained about the AI or linear events anyway. That being said,however, I believe the lack of a classic GT career could be fixed thanks to a very intuitive arcade mode, and since all the cars are looking to have fixed classes it should be possible to just create your own career.
I don't think the lack of a classic career mode is in any way made up by any kind of arcade mode. Many, many fans of the series enjoy the career because of the way you accumulate money and cars, fill your garage and paint and customize your cars. All of that is missing from Arcade Mode.

I don't think the lack of a classic career mode is in any way made up by any kind of arcade mode. Many, many fans of the series enjoy the career because of the way you accumulate money and cars, fill your garage and paint and customize your cars. All of that is missing from Arcade Mode.

If this remains somewhat hidden in promotion of the game I think there are going to be a lot of disappointed people come release day.

You know what? SCREW career mode to hell, who needs to race against AI when you can challenge ACTUAL HUMAN BEINGS in a true test of skill.

I don't wanna race against the AI, it's too easy. So easy, it's a like a joke. I'd actually LIKE to get beaten in a race, it just means I have to try even harder to be the best.

Create a poll; career mode events in GT Sport or not, and let's see what everyone else thinks.

If this remains somewhat hidden in promotion of the game I think there are going to be a lot of disappointed people come release day.

The simple solution to this issue, is to not go out and buy the game until it's been on the market for 24 hours, by which time, you will be able to find out pretty much everything you could want to know.

The simple solution to this issue, is to not go out and buy the game until it's been on the market for 24 hours, by which time, you will be able to find out pretty much everything you could want to know.
Especially if they put another review embargo like they did with 6.

Added poll.

Well I wasn't really referring to anyone here, rather those who just go out and buy games based on the trailer and whatever info the developer puts front and centre and not much else. On top of that I imagine a lot will buy "That new Gran Turismo game" and be equally disappointed but that is mostly on them.

Well I wasn't really referring to anyone here, rather those who just go out and buy games based on the trailer and whatever info the developer puts front and centre and not much else. On top of that I imagine a lot will buy "That new Gran Turismo game" and be equally disappointed but that is mostly on them.

Fair enough. My issue is with pre-order whingers, though it's the same logic for everyone, if you opt to buy blind, you forfeit the right to complain about not knowing what was in the game.

You know what? SCREW career mode to hell, who needs to race against AI when you can challenge ACTUAL HUMAN BEINGS in a true test of skill.

I don't wanna race against the AI, it's too easy. So easy, it's a like a joke. I'd actually LIKE to get beaten in a race, it just means I have to try even harder to be the best.
That's all well and good. I'm mainly an offline player. I just don't like the choppiness or advantange/disadvantage of someone using fiber connection versus copper. The replays don't look as smooth either. Sure the realness of racing another person(s) is awesome. If done right, AI could be just as challenging(see pCars) and rewarding to beat.

I don't care to grind any longer. PCars have spoiled me with giving access to everything from the jump. If GTS is strictly online gaming, I hope they make sure there are the least playability flaws as possible.

I thought based on the initial reveal that this game was going to be online focused with a limited (non gt traditional) career mode. I don't know why people haven't picked up that this was likely sooner? I have no issue either way.

I thought based on the initial reveal that this game was going to be online focused with a limited (non gt traditional) career mode. I don't know why people haven't picked up that this was likely sooner? I have no issue either way.
But as far as we can see there is currently no offline career or events at all. I don't think many were expecting that much of an online focus.

But as far as we can see there is currently no offline career or events at all. I don't think many were expecting that much of an online focus.
Probably not, but I'm interested to see where this goes. I'll have to buy it and see.

Create a poll; career mode events in GT Sport or not, and let's see what everyone else thinks.

So if GT went online only, I'll have to depend entirely on the community if I just want a simple race and pay for PSN as well just to play? No thanks. If GT ever went in that direction, I'm done with the series. Permanently.

Last edited:

Bad AI, no challenge and grinding for money is not fun for me either, but having both worlds done properly would be ideal.

If you guys think about it, it CAN'T be that simple. There is too much money to be made with this, which is why i believe (or maybe just hope) that this can't be the entire final product.

I don't know anything the about gaming business, but this whole thing seems wrong to me. Who wouldn't have loved it if they kept it simple, releasing a full SP/MP GT7, with 1/4 of the cars but all sorted out and based on community demands, and have GTS full on MP available alongside, as a DLC mode or even a separate game with it's own price. That's 2x the money!

By showing us GTS as it is, with terrible sounds, terrible gfx, and giving a middle finger to a lot of old time fans by removing most of what made the game what it is, they lose it all.

It doesn't make sense to me, there has to be something more "GT-like" in the works...

In the Q&A Kaz explained, through Translator-san, that the Campaign Mode as you see it in GTSport replaces what used to be known in Gran Turismo as the GT Mode. That's a pretty clear indicator that there is not going to be an offline career mode in the game as it sits now. Whether they change their mind before release remains to be seen.

I don't know anything the about gaming business, but this whole thing seems wrong to me. Who wouldn't have loved it if they kept it simple, releasing a full SP/MP GT7, with 1/4 of the cars but all sorted out and based on community demands, and have GTS full on MP available alongside, as a DLC mode or even a separate game with it's own price. That's 2x the money!
You're being way to logical. This is PD we're talking about. The focus has to lay in something singular and all resources should be directed to that only whilst the rest is neglected just to reach that goal.

Or in other words; Kaz's vision.

Are the mission races, circuit challenges etc offline events? Not in a classic race sense, but they are offline events no? Seems to be similar to Gran Turismo PSP with a really blown out online career mode.

The game looks to run along the lines of GTPSP and/or GT5Prologue, with much expanded online modes. If you didn't enjoy those games offline, then I dont think GT Sport will do it for you. But this appears consistent with the initial reveal, I guess peoples expectations got the better of them?

I really enjoyed GTPSP, and GT5Prologue for that matter. I'm looking forward to GT Sport.

No way I'm buying a PS4 & wheel for a GT game without the game part but a huge photo editing suite instead. As impressive as this new photo mode is it has zero interest for me and is as relevant to a driving game as a car mechanics or car polishing mode. Ditto livery editor.

I only hope GT7 redresses the balance back to the early GT games, though I do not expect it to happen after the missed opportunity that was GT6.

Back