GT Sport Unveiling Q&A Session Questions

• Thread starter TayeezSA
  • 204 comments
Question 1: Did PD enjoy the development of GTSport?
Question 2: Will GTSport add massive simulation changes to the core gameplay?
Question 3: Is GTSport a solid 60FPS?
Question 4: Project CARS and Forza Moorsport 6 have had their games with great after launch support. Will it be similiar to those games or the same as previous GT's?
Question 5: With all the GT's released throughout all of GT history, Which is your preferred one Kaz?

Of all the questions we have, the one which fascinates me the most is how GT Sport will play out. How it's structured, how it unfolds for us. If it does unfold.

A bunch of us want it to unfold a bit at a time, like GT5 Prologue did, though that was enabled through the credit system which forced us to do a certain amount of grinding to buy ever more expensive and higher performance racing machines. It could be that winning is the key to unlocking further cars and events. It would be interesting if Sport followed this path, but I'm thinking that would be an obstacle to the eSport format. Possibly. Maybe the point of GT Sport is to unfold a bit at a time, and reaching the top tier of LMP or Formula open wheeled racing takes some experience and work.

Another question is how "Gran Turismo" Kaz wants Sport to be, and not just clearing hurdles and meeting objectives. A bunch of us would like to not just tinker with the cars, but mod them a bit. Would that hurt the eSport aspect of the game? I don't think so, but I think the issue is, would it give a bit too much away of what GT7 will bring to the table? Or, would it actually detract too much from the eSport game Kaz wants us to focus on? Is it really more of a micro version of PCARS, which you can't modify squat? Everything available from the start. Pick your liquor and compete. How much of GT7 does Kaz want us to peek?

Man... two days. Two long days. Tick toc... ;)

- Will the community features be retained, and if so, are there any improvements planned to them ? Will existing clubs transfer to the new game ?
- Will we be able to set online championships ourselves, with a calendar, schedule, specific regulations, a way to limit the practice time... ? Have rolling starts on every track be available ? An option to do the warm-up lap manually (would be nice for rolling starts, just like in iRacing) ?
- Will performance tuning get a bit more deep than a simple "Engine stage 1 / 2 / 3", and get back to something like GT1/2 where you could select more specific parts (such as stroker kits, port and polish, intercoolers...) and maybe have some parts working better in given combos ?
- How will the setup options improve ? For example, tyre pressure, disconnecting an anti-roll bar or a more realistic range of spring rates (eg. I can't reproduce fully a Clio Cup because the adjustment range of custom suspension in GT6 won't allow me to get up to the spring rates used by Öhlins) ?
- Will the Track Path Editor work with GT Sport ?
- Why Nissan are satisfied with the last GT Academy winners 29th place when they just fired guys who won races ?
- Have you thought about getting in touch with Best Motoring / Hot Version, and maybe featuring the Gunsai Touge course ?
- Would you implement a rally mode, such as people would start each 30 seconds on a point to point track ?
- Kaz talked about developing Gran Turismo as a continueous service rather than episodic games a while ago ? Is this idea still living ? How would this be implemented, and when ?
- What would you think of a video editor ? Or making more TV-like replay angles ?
- Kaz : would you like to bring the franchise to PC gamers if you had the opportunity ?
- How the info about cars are obtained (both "historical" and technical, such as gear ratios, etc.) Are there informations the manufacturers won't be happy to give out ?

How will BoP be handled in the Manufacturers Cup?

If there is an over-used dominant car (such as the SLS GT3 in the recent Daytona Road Course QM) or an overly-detuned car (such the Corvette in all BoP'd QMs) will there be timely measures to balance the advantage/disadvantage?

What measures are PD taking to ensure fair play? Specifically, in regards to excessive violations to track limits and the prevention of dangerous ungentlemenly driving.

:)

Is Jenkins to be included and if so, will he have an updated collar, in keeping with today's modern generation of gaming consoles ? If i may be so bold as to suggest something diamond encrusted. A light dusting of diamonds can ( when used tastefully) add a delicious touch of sparkle to the modern cat's fashion statement.

- With rumors of the PS4 NEO, will this affect development? 2 versions of the same game?
- Dynamic weather/night on classic original tracks?
- How much of the Tokyo Highway System is in the game? Will there be night/weather options as well? Only C1 Outer/Inner? (Finally a game other than Tokyo Xtreme Racer has this road. I'm stoked just for this road alone!)

Last edited:
- With rumors of the PS4 NEO, will this affect development? 2 versions of the same game?

I think Sony said devs would be obliged to make games that could still run on older PS4. Only difference for any game should be 4k and VR support. Although the question still deserves a shot as we might be surprised.

Here's my questions.

Hey, Kaz. Big fan of GT. So, I know you love photography and are not completely satisfied with the photo mode in GT6. Has this been improved for GT Sport? I do enjoy taking photos of a battle that I've had out on track, or just capturing the beauty of a certain car.

Will there be a video editor of any type, like the Rockstar Editor? I'd absolutely love to make cinematic videos of Gran Turismo, and I think that a lot of the community would too.

Have you changed your design philosophy at Polyphony Digital, or is it the same? What have you learned from developing GT5 and GT6?

Is Adaptive Tessellation back for GT Sport, or was it just a prototype for GT6? It seems like a great way to save some memory, instead of just adding more polygons, you split them up to get a smoother and better look.

Lastly, what is developing for PS4 like compared to PS3 and PS2? I beileve that you said at one point that the PS3 can't do heat hazes, but the PS2 can. Will we see them back now that you have more freedom and power with the PS4?

Thank you for 17 years of Gran Turismo. Here's to another 17.

I'm hopeful (read quietly confident) that we will learn a few extra nuggets of info. from this session.
Patiently waiting to hear some reports.

Why do I get the feeling that this session went about as well as the one that was meant to happen here?
Безымянный.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=204185553&postcount=1071

Hmmm what to make of this ?

Original :
天候変化やダメージ表現は今回実装されるますか?

山内氏:ダメージはまだ有効化されていませんが、内部的にはダメージのモデルを持っていて当然やります。 天候変化については、レーススタート前に天候を選べるというオプションは用意しようと思っていますが、レース中に雨が降ってくるということは今回やらないと思います。 そこは自由度をあげるとクオリティが下がる、クオリティを上げれば自由度が下がるというトレードオフの関係になるので、どこを自分たちが望むバランスに整えるかという話。 「GT5」と「GT6」はダイナミックな天候変化、ライティング効果をやりましたけど、それをやったことでどういった効果があったのかというのは我々わかっています。 一方でレーススタート前に天候を決めるという、ある種の制約を加えることでクオリティがどう変わるのかということもわかっているので、今回はレース中は変わりませんが、レーススタート前にチョイスできるようにしようと思っています。

Admittedly weak Google translation...

Do you want the weather changes and damage representation is this implemented?

Yamauchi said: damage is not yet been activated, you of course do have a model of damage internally. For the weather change, the option to choose the weather before the start of the race I think that trying to prepare, but the fact that the rain will come raining during the race do not think I do this time. There is quality is lower and raise the degree of freedom, since the relationship of trade-off that the degree of freedom if raising the quality falls, talk of where to adjust to balance their desire. And "GT5", "GT6" dynamic weather changes, but I did the lighting effects, we will not know because if there was a kind of effect is that you have done it. On the other hand that determines the weather before the start of the race, since the quality by adding some sort of constraints has also been found that if the change, but does not change during the race this time, so that it can be choice before the race start I think trying to do.

Is he talking about dynamic weather not being included this time ? It's difficult to make out, i know.

Link to Google translated interview.... Seems that nothing really translates that well, so maybe difficult to ascertain exactly the context of what is being said, sorry...

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/20160521_758519.html

I've got some notes I wrote down afterwards which I will upload after sleeping, in summary, people asked pretty stock questions and got pretty stock answers. Will there be damage, will there be a Tourist Trophy etc. It's clear that, unless he wants to discuss something, the response will always be the same. If I recall correctly, @Jordan made a comment on here that Kaz is most likely to open up when asked about something that has been announced, rather than something in the future. I don't think there was any question on the photo scapes or livery editor in the Q&A.

Most productive question today seemed to be the one asking whether or not TVR would be in the game, where he actually seemed to answer pretty clearly - they probably would but he doesn't know who owns the TVR licence now. This question was quite amusing actually and it was clear that he found it amusing too.

By the way, I didn't time it exactly, but the Q&A was only about 25 minutes or so, there were never going to be many questions fitted in to that time frame. What we got before that was a repeat of the presentation given to the press the day before. I know that people on here won't find that to be helpful, but actually seeing the presentation up close there was a chance to pick up small things that weren't on the slides.

For example, Kaz said that the intention is for people to be able to change manufacturers approx every 6m.

Oh, he did also confirm in the Q&A that the plan was for both free AND paid DLC. Nothing surprising, but not sure it's been specifically mentioned before?

Oh, he did also confirm in the Q&A that the plan was for both free AND paid DLC. Nothing surprising, but not sure it's been specifically mentioned before?
I never heard anything about paid DLC. I believe translator-san's wording was that there would probably be game updates and DLC.

And I got the impression that he didn't know who owned TVR, never mind the license.

Dissapointing that Q&A was a farce as well, no real answers or tough questions asked. With the footage released I very much doubt it's on track for November, the tracks they've shown looked rough and unfinished, with 19 tracks total I don't believe the others are in a better state, overall the game seems like a 2017 release to me, too many apparent issues left.

I never heard anything about paid DLC. I believe translator-san's wording was that there would probably be game updates and DLC.

And I got the impression that he didn't know who owned TVR, never mind the license.

You're likely right, maybe I got the question and answer mixed up. Someone definitely used the word paid but it may have been the questioner.

Dissapointing that Q&A was a farce as well, no real answers or tough questions asked. With the footage released I very much doubt it's on track for November, the tracks they've shown looked rough and unfinished, with 19 tracks total I don't believe the others are in a better state, overall the game seems like a 2017 release to me, too many apparent issues left.

It seems like there were a lot of questions asked outside of the public Q&A according to @Scaff and I cannot wait to find out some of this in the news page this week. Well done Scaff and team :gtplanet:

Will there be a results based ranking system to group drivers by ability?
Not sure whether this Q&A happened, what the outcome was or whatever. But GT website may have answered my question:

Even if you’re not a top driver with lots of confidence in your skills, you will still have plenty of fun because each player will be matched fairly with people of their own level for fair and equal online racing.

Now I'm anxious to know how they determine your skill level. All I can say is that it needs to be based on quality and not quantity. A GT5 style XP system wouldn't remotely work well. I don't get to play often so that is critical for me. Penalties incurred and race results need to weigh infinitely more than hours played/miles driven, especially once you're trying to get into the higher ranks. The top classification (and the official FIA license) should be virtually unattainable for most, I'm sorry to say.

Back