GT Sport Update 1.56 Arrives Tomorrow, Adds Aston Martin DBR9

Not strictly true; in the 1996 season a McLaren F1 won the GT500 championship, so it literally was the fastest Gr. 2 car _for the model year that's in the game_.
Native GT500 cars kept up since that win by the following year (although one longtail won in 2001 and have a 3rd-place finish in 2003).

Native GT500 cars kept up since that win by the following year (although one longtail won in 2001 and have a 3rd-place finish in 2003).
Budget for developing the native cars was also much larger than for the foreign cars... for obvious reasons.

One of the obvious results of the way PD have done this update is that there's a general lack of things to talk about. I mean how much can you sit at a round table and talk fiat 500 s13 and a DBR9?

I think from now on I will always use cockpit with no HUD except driver position info on the screen that until this time we've got no option to turn off the suggested gear.

Finally managed to find some time to casually test a little that DBR9 on supersofts, with BoP it's a little too much on the heavy side, on Interlagos I was around 0.4s off of my average time with AMG GT3 (1:30.0), on Spa it seemed decent but where it really clicked for me is Monza. I'm a B/S rated driver and I'm playing GTS with a controller when I manage to catch some time alone, which is rare (damned family life :D), so I'm not the one that will get from that car all that it can give and then some more, I'm more about the feeling of it and am I having fun driving it.

So, to get back to driving it at Monza, it's not as tight as some of the other cars and probably won't be on any of those top 10 alien time lists, but I had a blast driving it and was getting it around my best times there (1:46.3). You have to rev it until the valves start tapping on the bonnet underside before changing gear, but I like that, you don't have to put in 6th on the straights because it doesn't accelerate more so it's less gear-changing at heavy braking zones, it allows you a little mistreatment and heavy foot on the loud pedal and all of these are the reasons why I'm currently loving that old British chap. :D

Only thing I wasn't happy to start with is that it didn't come in British racing green, so that was the first change I made. :D

Hopefully GT7 will have a fully customizable HUD where we can move, remove and add HUD Information and change the size of it.
Autosave pop up also ruins the view on the screen, and it turns red when I disconnect to the internet. Yes, I hope the next GT contains complete options in game settings not just about car collections. Considering it looks like GT Sport is in its final stages, it's hard to expect much from PD anymore.

That's the problem I have with some of the sounds in GT Sport. The sounds are actually spot-on/correct for the most part, they're just wayyy too clean sounding.

I expected the DRB9 to actually sound like a race-car and not sound like it has a silenced muffler system.

Case in point

The roughness/raspiness it should have

They still did a good job with it though and i'm just glad we got a few new cars to play around in.

They should seriously consider bringing in one of the big UK drum & bass producers to be their sound engineer, someone like Benny L or Heist.

Tracks have already been remodelled to PS4/PS5 standards. But certain trackside assists will be lower LOD than modelled to maintain framerate. Plus textures will obviously be bumped up on PS5. As important will be more effects like motion blur to give a filmic image.
Did Kaz say so, because i would like to disagree. Tracks don't look next gen at all. I don't even know where to begin with...

GTS looks stunning (cars, lightning, ...), but i expect much more from next gen consoles than these track details and draw distances.

Did they reuse the sound from the Gr.3 Vantage that was already in the game? It's the same V12 engine isn't it

I had suspected PD would just copy and paste . I've always felt the vantage v12 gt3 and dbr9 had different pitches in engine/exhaust note. Can't really tell from the videos you've posted i'll have to listen again with headphones.

They are definitely similar in sound anyway, i can understand PD would not go out of their way to record another v12 sound from aston.

Looking forward to the vantage v8 though in this game or the next

Did Kaz say so, because i would like to disagree. Tracks don't look next gen at all. I don't even know where to begin with...

GTS looks stunning (cars, lightning, ...), but i expect much more from next gen consoles than these track details and draw distances.

Nope, Kaz only said the cars were modeled for the next 10+ years, which makes sense considering they used tessellation and had an unlimited polygonal budget to model the cars, while also spending a lot of dev time downgrading them to multiple LOD levels for PS4 gameplay use. GTS tracks don't have multiple higher LOD variations (waste of dev time and too much work), they'll require a good amount of rework if they want something that looks truly made only for PS5.

If it was so easy and didn't take much time to create 2 completely different track models, one higher LOD for the future while one for current gen, then literally every cross-gen game would have a huge visual discrepancy between the hardware jump, but that has never been the case, cross-gen games end up with only a resolution or framerate boost while most 3D assets remain exactly the same.

Last edited:
Got a chance to drive the DBR9 last night. That thing is fast! I get PD putting the car in Gr3 BUT..... Without it being BOP'd, that thing will blow the doors off "normal" Gr3 cars (GT3). An old school GT1 car, like this is just power and downforce heaven and the DBR9 feels every bit of it.

I read quite a few posts yesterday about it feeling understeery... Maybe it's my driving style or the fact that I didn't go right to Willow Springs via Sport Mode with the BOP dropped on it but I had no issues with understeer with this car. Felt very planted! I ran a bunch of laps at Brands Hatch, Monza and Goodwood. All felt very fast and like the car was on rails. I set TC to 2 and BB to -1. No other settings were changed.

I also put my own Gulf Livery on the car. Pretty proud of it! Sorry... I did not upload it yet. I'll do that when I get home after work today. I felt like the stock livery was lacking. Looked decent enough but weird (to me) that PD just slapped all their fictional sponsor stickers on the car. I'm addicted to livery editor and feel I have a great eye for liveries and placement of sponsor stickers, stripes, etc... Felt like PD got a bit lazy with this one or ran into some red tape with getting the real livery cleared legally.

All in all, great car! I'll be driving it a lot!

An 11:50 lap around the Nordschleife in a Giallo Modena 500 on comfort medium tyres is just so Gran Turismo.

Gives me hope the A2 might be chosen for a premium makeover from its GT4 period standard.

Just tested the DBR9's BOP top speed at Tokyo East. Surprisingly one of the slowest Gr.3 cars at only 272 km/h. For comparison the usual slowpokes are Mazda (266), RS01 (268) and WRX/Evo (270). The Vantage is slightly faster at 274 km/h. Other "older" Gr.3 cars are usually much faster to compensate for their poor handling and brakes (M3 280, F1 GTR 285), but the DBR9 handles a lot better compared to those two so I guess they neutered its straight line performance instead. Tyre wear (tested at Bathurst with RSS over 1 lap with 50x multiplier) are surprisingly better than expected at 50% wear at the end of a lap. The Vantage from my previous testing was slightly worse at 45% wear, but keep in mind I did this test last year before they changed the tyre wear indicator scaling so the results might not be equivalent. No real logical reason to choose it over the Vantage if you're driving for Aston then, unless you really like it or just want a challenge.

Just tested the DBR9's BOP top speed at Tokyo East. Surprisingly one of the slowest Gr.3 cars at only 272 km/h. For comparison the usual slowpokes are Mazda (266), RS01 (268) and WRX/Evo (270). The Vantage is slightly faster at 274 km/h. Other "older" Gr.3 cars are usually much faster to compensate for their poor handling and brakes (M3 280, F1 GTR 285), but the DBR9 handles a lot better compared to those two so I guess they neutered its straight line performance instead. Tyre wear (tested at Bathurst with RSS over 1 lap with 50x multiplier) are surprisingly better than expected at 50% wear at the end of a lap. The Vantage from my previous testing was slightly worse at 45% wear, but keep in mind I did this test last year before they changed the tyre wear indicator scaling so the results might not be equivalent. No real logical reason to choose it over the Vantage if you're driving for Aston then, unless you really like it or just want a challenge.

Shame really because the DBR9 drives quite well, it's a very stable car and the traction is really good, it's also very kind to the tyres.

I agree...
I hope they don't copy paste the tracks from GTS thinking that these are sufficiently detailed for the PS5 ... I hope they get their hands on the textures, trees, grass etc. since the competition certainly won't stand by.

Has anyone tried the Interlagos 30 lap x2019 torture festival?

I did a 10 lap custom race around it in the x2019 and I came 3rd. Its not a nice track for this car IMO. I suppose it'll get easier as usual once the field spreads out and fuel tyres gets into the mix.

I did the 36-lapper at Interlagos with the X2019 and I managed it just fine, personally. Going RS the whole way and doing a two-stopper seemed like the best strategy for me. I think mid-way through the race is when you end up in first and securing the lead from there on out.

I didn't see anyone commenting about that yet, so...

...once again PD adds a car whose windshield sticker is mysteriously customizable.
...once again we have a brand new proof that they can do it.
...once again I ask myself: why can't we have this feature of freely customizable windshield sticker for all cars?

It doesn't make any sense, looks like they randomize to see which car is gonna get it.

But anyway, glad PD added another one with this feature, it made me able to create a Super GT300 wannabe, see the difference?

20200301001238.jpg

I didn't see anyone commenting about that yet, so...

...once again PD adds a car whose windshield sticker is mysteriously customizable.
...once again we have a brand new proof that they can do it.
...once again I ask myself: why can't we have this feature of freely customizable windshield sticker for all cars?

It doesn't make any sense, looks like they randomize to see which car is gonna get it.

But anyway, glad PD added another one with this feature, it made me able to create a Super GT300 wannabe, see the difference?

View attachment 895695
What are the other cars that have the same feature?

What are the other cars that have the same feature?

Most of the Group C machines have it: XJR-9, 787B, 962C and the R92CP. The Nissan is a curious case because you can paint it but you can't remove the "Nissan" logo, which stays in the original white.

Most of the Group C machines have it: XJR-9, 787B, 962C and the R92CP. The Nissan is a curious case because you can paint it but you can't remove the "Nissan" logo, which stays in the original white.
Ah, yes yes. I've done those. I thought there were some other GR.3/GR.4 cars.

Now that they have both a Silvia S13 AND an 180SX, do you guys think they will add a Sileighty next? They DID have both the Sprinter Trueno and Corolla Levin AE86s in, so they are putting in duplicates.

I wonder if it would be simple to make.

I wonder if it would be simple to make.

Well someone here cut and pasted the images into a One-Via and a Sil-80. I would assume people would like this even though it would be a relatively low effort cut and paste job for PD.

I'm not hugely into the whole S14 mania that was prevalent in Forza 7 however the whole gammut of s14. s14a and s15 would be fine with me.

This is a Gran Turismo title and people would be accepting of the whole range of JDM type cars like the GTSt, the R33 GTR Sedan, the Stagea RS260 wagon.

I do wonder if these JDM hybrids get up the nose of Nissan corporate.

I mean it wouldnt surprise me if Nissan in Yokohama flat out dont want stuff like the Sil-80 and One-Via turning up in GT Sport as they arent 'official'.

So I finally got around to testing the 180SX and the Aston Martin yesterday. I think that the DBR9 is one of the best looking race cars ever made, and it's great to have it in GT after all these years. The car has sorta been forgotten about in recent times because of GT3, which is a shame considering how successful it was. The handling is decent, but it's not quite as sharp as a GT3 car. That's not to say it's a bad car, because it has a heap of character that many racecars don't have nowadays. It's funny because you look at the stats and you think it'll smash a GTE car on Le Mans, but doesn't due to the lack of downforce. Which is strange considering that it's a low downforce track! Honestly though, we need more GT1 cars. The 180SX is fine, a great little vehicle which is basically a necessity in GT Sport. It does all the sports car things, and proves that power isn't the answer to everything.

Back