GT Sport Update 1.63 Arrives, Brings Sport Mode Changes

Everytime news of penalty update comes out it ends up in two results,ai system freaks out if a car gets close to another car or the ai system sleeps while the race turns into destruction derby.Hopefully this time is different.

Last edited:
It all depends on the multipliers though, if fuel and tires aren’t set to high multipliers, then it doesn’t really hurt the cars worse on tire and fuel as much. :)

Isn't that exactly the problem? No one knows what fuel/tyre multipliers (or race distance) PD will create for 20+ (maybe 30 or 40) rounds of an actual season.

At very least it looks like this will kill off alternate pit strategies - the car/driver that can do the least number of stops will win.

It just seems a bit odd after PD introduced mandatory tyres and shorter pit stops at the end of 2019 in order to make pit strategy a much more viable option.

Last edited:
PS5 controller users DEFINITELY go faster with PS5, compared to PS4 controller users.
Better triggers making it possible to modulate brake and throttle input better.

It's not rocket science, if your chosen input device allows finer and smoother inputs it's going to be better for a game where smoothness and precision are greatly rewarded.
Has better braking capabilities, 100% sure of it. I play with a wheel, and with PS4 controller you simply can't brake as good and as late as with using a wheel. But with PS5, you can.
He may have better/smoother FPS too (or no FPS drops) which may also help get some extra tenths aswell.

Source: Me playing all the time against a guy who used to play on PS4 controller, now he does on PS5. Since that he undoubtedly goes quite a bit faster and definitely brakes better.

Does the DS5 triggers even have better resolution than the DS4? I can find absolutely nothing to suggest it does.The main selling point of the DS5 seems to be the adaptive resistance which suggests - since beyond a certain point, with such little physical travel, improving the resolution has diminishing returns - that rather making a change to something that most people probably wouldn't benefit from (or even notice) Sony decided to go with the adaptive triggers as that would probably be a more tangible benefit to most people. Certainly I think Sony wouldn't have let it left unsaid if they had of improved the triggers resolution either.

The fact that people may be getting faster times with a DS5 may simply be down to the fact that the DS5 is physically newer, not necessarily better. I recently got a new DS4 - my old one would very occasionally suffer from "stick drift" - and magically, compared to when my old DS4 was behaving itself, I was knocking seconds off my laps times! As we don't play our consoles in laboratory-like clean rooms I imagine a new DS5, like my new DS4, won't have years of accumulated dust and other airborne contaminates which over time can hamper the working/sensitivity of mechanically operated switches/potentiometers. I'd even go so far as to wager than a similar effect could be found in replacing an ageing wheel setup with a brand new like-for-like out-of-the-box one.

As an aside, you don't need to set up a PC as a router to do that, you can do it with a £20 Smart Managed Switch like the GS305E.
As an aside, according to the manual, it doesn't.

Does the DS5 triggers even have better resolution than the DS4? I can find absolutely nothing to suggest it does.The main selling point of the DS5 seems to be the adaptive resistance which suggests - since beyond a certain point, with such little physical travel, improving the resolution has diminishing returns - that rather making a change to something that most people probably wouldn't benefit from (or even notice) Sony decided to go with the adaptive triggers as that would probably be a more tangible benefit to most people. Certainly I think Sony wouldn't have let it left unsaid if they had of improved the triggers resolution either.

The fact that people may be getting faster times with a DS5 may simply be down to the fact that the DS5 is physically newer, not necessarily better. I recently got a new DS4 - my old one would very occasionally suffer from "stick drift" - and magically, compared to when my old DS4 was behaving itself, I was knocking seconds off my laps times! As we don't play our consoles in laboratory-like clean rooms I imagine a new DS5, like my new DS4, won't have years of accumulated dust and other airborne contaminates which over time can hamper the working/sensitivity of mechanically operated switches/potentiometers. I'd even go so far as to wager than a similar effect could be found in replacing an ageing wheel setup with a brand new like-for-like out-of-the-box one.
Wheels have had more capabilities than controllers since back to GT5 at least, and they left that unsaid. Could be the same for the PS5 controller.
The thing is, he's quite good and has good sensitivity on controller: he told me he can do things on PS5 that with the PS4 controller couldn't. It's that simple.

Isn't that exactly the problem? No one knows what fuel/tyre multipliers (or race distance) PD will create for 20+ (maybe 30 or 40) rounds of an actual season.

At very least it looks like this will kill off alternate pit strategies - the car/driver that can do the least number of stops will win.

It just seems a bit odd after PD introduced mandatory tyres and shorter pit stops at the end of 2019 in order to make pit strategy a much more viable option.

Maybe they plan to make the races a bit longer now? And instead of alternate pit strategies so much, maybe it will be more about the undercut/overcut on mostly 1 stop races instead? That would be kinda cool, more of an actual race too, with less people out there going way different speeds. :)

I noticed using people as a brake in the corners still isn't a penalty.
Apparently, running someone off the side of the track is also, not a penalty.
I can see normal bumping of sides is fine but pushing someone off is completely different.

For me, the update before last was actually the best. It forced me to clean up my driving and I noticed I was getting more consistent high position finishes. I just played my first race today a few minutes ago and it's a total **** show again. I can't even race a proper line. :mad:

Last edited:
Maybe they don't like the cursory one lap on hards strategy.
They can make a mandatory number of pit stops.👎 (V8)Supercars did this during the Car Of The Future era.

I think all compounds make more of a difference in strategy, than just the two compounds.

Wheels have had more capabilities than controllers since back to GT5 at least, and they left that unsaid. Could be the same for the PS5 controller.
Eh? Apart from the spring loaded cheapo plastic specials, wheels have always been a more capable input method than controllers, a fact that no-one, in the history of ever, has "left unsaid". Also, the GT Force wheel alone was out for GT3 A-Spec on the PS2 (so around '01/'02) so I'm not quite sure what GT5 has got to do with anything, unless you're suggesting that prior to GT5 controllers were a better option than wheels?!

The thing is, he's quite good and has good sensitivity on controller: he told me he can do things on PS5 that with the PS4 controller couldn't. It's that simple.

Its not "that simple", its anecdotal. Until someone can unequivocally prove that the DS5 triggers have a better resolution and PS4 games are allowed to take advantage of it then I'm standing by my supposition that in-game performance improvements using a DS5 with a PS4 game are nothing more than a "side-effect" of having new, clean hardware. Its more-or-less the same principle as when an engine is reconditioned; fundamentally its still the same but, unencumbered by years of wear, tear and contaminates, it performs better.

Last edited:
I can see normal bumping of sides is fine but pushing someone off is completely different.
Now peopla are learning this and using it. Sorry but not playable as it is now. Pushed off 4 races in a row (Race B).
Last week we complained about all the penalties, this week ......

For me, PS5 controller doesn't look optimized for GT Sport. At least the accelerator (R2). It gives a sudden or burst to full power rather than linear progression. So it's less accurate for me. Not sure why tbh.

Last edited:
Eh? Apart from the spring loaded cheapo plastic specials, wheels have always been a more capable input method than controllers, a fact that no-one, in the history of ever, has "left unsaid". Also, the GT Force wheel alone was out for GT3 A-Spec on the PS2 (so around '01/'02) so I'm not quite sure what GT5 has got to do with anything, unless you're suggesting that prior to GT5 controllers were a better option than wheels?!

Its not "that simple", its anecdotal. Until someone can unequivocally prove that the DS5 triggers have a better resolution and PS4 games are allowed to take advantage of it then I'm standing by my supposition that in-game performance improvements using a DS5 with a PS4 game are nothing more than a "side-effect" of having new, clean hardware. Its more-or-less the same principle as when an engine is reconditioned; fundamentally its still the same but, unencumbered by years of wear, tear and contaminates, it performs better.
Feel free to do one of those in-depth scentific studies then... You'll probably reach the same conclusion as me. The guy I'm talking about had a perfectly well functioning PS4 controller in very good condition.
What I meant by wheel capabilities is that back in GT5 (at least) wheels have had a higher turning radius or steering capacity than controllers, they basically allowed you to steer the wheels more, so you could go faster in many corners, high speed ones in particular. A very big advantage. That is a well known thing by people who played with both a lot... And they still do in GT Sport AFAIK. I said it was left unsaid because I never ever saw any kind of official document or article talking about it.

Last edited:

Now peopla are learning this and using it. Sorry but not playable as it is now. Pushed off 4 races in a row (Race B).
Last week we complained about all the penalties, this week ......

This has always been my biggest gripe - no matter what they've ever done with the penalty system, there seems to never be a penalty for the dive-bomber. According to whatever fundamental underlying design they have, lunging for the apex and using another car to slow you down and correct your line is never a penalty. Even pushing somebody off the track on a straight hasn't always been a penalty.

Basically, no matter what they do with the penalty system, PD can never seems to address some of the most egregious driving problems in the game.

Yeah, that's my point. Before the update, there was a better chance somebody got a penalty for running you off track, now, even if you're both in the middle of a straight line, if they run you off there's no penalty.
Before the update, penalty's everywhere, after the update, your just in last place and tough luck.
Not the last time Bathurst was a daily but, the time before that, the beginning of that week had a good, at least better, penalty system. Until the end of that week when they changed it, and it's been absolutely garbage since. That week I finally got my DR at an A, and at the end of the week it reset my DR/SR. I have a saved race that shows me following two, or three, others into turn two, where the person in front hit a wall spun, slammed into the other drivers, and with just enough room to go in between them, I got around to be hit by the car, still spinning and bouncing off the walls before ghosting out, and I get the 3sec penalty. Or how about, getting rammed at every corner until he finally wrecked me, and I still get the penalty? I have not been able to get away from them since, and I'm really sick of getting penalty's because someone else messed up, or because they intently wrecked the person in front.

Last edited:
I know, hence my question. Hopefully GT7 ditches the cut scene pitstops.
Since you said "go back to". We never had them in the first place.
Probably the explaination is, to give equal time for everyone to select tires. Since sometimes you are at the furthest part of the pitlane, sometimes in the middle, sometimes in the closest part when you enter.

Last edited:
Probably the explaination is, to give equal time for everyone to select tires. Since sometimes you are at the furthest part of the pitlane, sometimes in the middle, sometimes in the closest part when you enter.

Sorry I meant go back as in what they had in past games in the series. I assumed they did it primarily for visual purposes. With a pre-rendered scene you can make things look better, you have no problems with cars crossing each other and so on. I doubt it was for user strategy selection reasons, some of the old timings pre-patch were faster than any first garage in a real time stop.

Also the solution there would be creating a system to allow users to decide strategy while they're on track.

We had actual pitstops on every Gran Turismo until Sport. I guess it is easier on the hardware to show one animation rather than the whole pitlane full of cars being serviced. Hopefully GT7 on PS5 can solve that or at least only start the animation when the car is stopped in the box.

Last edited:
We had actual pitstops on every Gran Turismo until Sport. I guess it is easier on the hardware to show one animation rather than the whole pitlane full of cars being serviced. Hopefully GT7 on PS5 can solve that or at least only start the animation when the car is stopped in the box.
I don't think it has anything to do with animations or hardware, doesn't make sense, its perfectly capable, no different than having the cars moving on the track.
Pretty sure it's about player equality. They put the animations so everyone loses the same amount of time and has the same given time to chose tires.
You could lose a lot of time in pitlane traffic in GT6 depending on the situation, so I suppose they wanted to get rid of that.
It's not realistic but its the most fair.

Last edited:
I don't think it has anything to do with animations or hardware, doesn't make sense, its perfectly capable, no different than having the cars moving on the track.
Pretty sure it's about player equality. They put the animations so everyone loses the same amount of time and has the same given time to chose tires.
You could lose a lot of time in pitlane traffic in GT6 depending on the situation, so I suppose they wanted to get rid of that.

I don't think it has to do with equality either...

They could have an auto driving cutscene as soon as you touch the pitlane entrance and have all of us drive to to the exact same spot (not giving everyone an individual garage) while fully ghosting every other driver in the pitlane (as it is right now)...

Then we'd have a "realistic" way to enter the pitlane, we'd still have equality and enough time to choose tyres depending on how far down the pitlane our universal garage is..

And to make it 10x better, they could make it so we'd need to ACTUALLY SLOW DOWN BEFORE THE PIT ENTRANCE before triggering said cutscene.... (sort of like how F1 games do it)

Just look at the speed you carry while entering the pits at interlagos for example... It's ridiculous...

I don't think it has to do with equality either...

They could have an auto driving cutscene as soon as you touch the pitlane entrance and have all of us drive to to the exact same spot (not giving everyone an individual garage) while fully ghosting every other driver in the pitlane (as it is right now)...

Then we'd have a "realistic" way to enter the pitlane, we'd still have equality and enough time to choose tyres depending on how far down the pitlane our universal garage is..

And to make it 10x better, they could make it so we'd need to ACTUALLY SLOW DOWN BEFORE THE PIT ENTRANCE before triggering said cutscene.... (sort of like how F1 games do it)

Just look at the speed you carry while entering the pits at interlagos for example... It's ridiculous...
How is ghosting realistic?
Also everyone ghosting to the same spot would look like garbage, think about it.
I agree with the slow down but still that would lead to other problems unfortunately (people bumping each other)

Last edited:
Back