GT Sport's Online Experience is Only Around 15% of Total Game

Given how Sim City was met by fans of the series for being always online, I can see PD running into some pretty big issues. I suspect a patch will be implemented at some point to make the game mostly offline.

The vast majority of GT Sport players will have a consistent internet connection.

It's not solely about the player's connection — it's about the Sony/PD servers, too.

With the servers being down for days, it's probably worth mentioning this. When you get the notification that there's no server connection, you have two options.
  • Immediately stop playing, if you value your progress (since the game will still let you take part in any campaign section you may have been in when connection ended).
  • Continue playing, but make sure to not shut down the game until a connection can be re-established. Make use of the PS4's Rest Mode.
While Arcade Mode is available offline, note that none of the unlocks, credits, or mileage will be saved, even locally.

It's not solely about the player's connection — it's about the Sony/PD servers, too.

With the servers being down for days, it's probably worth mentioning this. When you get the notification that there's no server connection, you have two options.
  • Immediately stop playing, if you value your progress (since the game will still let you take part in any campaign section you may have been in when connection ended).
  • Continue playing, but make sure to not shut down the game until a connection can be re-established. Make use of the PS4's Rest Mode.
While Arcade Mode is available offline, note that none of the unlocks, credits, or mileage will be saved, even locally.
Imagine if Sony gets hacked again and there's no online service for a couple months again.

This is some 2K Developer way of setting things up.

Now admittedly, it works fine most of the time on their end. But, when they go down, they leave you with an option that turns their VC (the currency system that is tied to online) into another form of currency for offline mode that can not be reverted back once its done meaning you're better off just finding something else to play unless you never go online.

Just realized that GTS is likely going to be down for most of the holiday season because of those damn lizard people.

Does this statement still holds true given we've played the demo or even the final release version? Didn't feel like there was 85% offline single player content to me...

Does this statement still holds true given we've played the demo or even the final release version? Didn't feel like there was 85% offline single player content to me...

They never said single player was 85% of the content, they said online was 15% of the content. What's the difference you ask? Well, check out this video presentation at the 13:40 mark :

That's 12 icons representing what GT:Sport is about according to Kaz. 2 of those (Sport and Lobby) are about online. So in that way, that would be 16.6% of the total package. If that is the PD logic behind it, I can't say I agree with it (with icons like discover, my menu, home, etc filling up a lot of the total percentage) but I can see where his 15% claim is coming from.

In the end does it really matter? The 4 day beta/demo was out and people had a chance to give the game a try. I would never even have thought about buying the game but since there was a demo I gave it a try and I liked what I saw. Online will be a big part of the game (more than those acclaimed 15% IMO) but there is a decent chunk of singleplayer as well. There is arcade mode with it's sub-sections, campaign with it's sub-sections, the historical info of the brands museums, a ton of photography content with scapes and in-game replays and a nifty livery editor. For me personally it also has hands down the absolutely best menu music I ever heard in any game and I'm glad to finally see some singleplayer leaderboards again (maybe GT6 had them too, I don't even remember or I didn't care at the time, now i'm super excited about them).

What really surprised me in the beta was that this game on paper looks as if it barely has any content, but after playing the demo I feel it's quite opposite and there is actually a lot of content. Forza has 700+ cars, PCARS 2 has 60+ tracks with full weather, livetrack and seasons, GT has... something magical that just draws you to the game.

Given how Sim City was met by fans of the series for being always online, I can see PD running into some pretty big issues. I suspect a patch will be implemented at some point to make the game mostly offline.
I hope so, it's the only irritating flaw of GTS for me

Actually, it's worse. Offline you can access the arcade mode AND ONLY the arcade mode, which means: no livery editor, brand central, scapes...
I'm surprised many are OK with this policy.
So only Arcade playable, like when using Arcade Mode Disc of GT2... That brings me to a question - is there a possibility to unlock full car and track list for Arcade Mode while online and then have it all playable offline? Or am I left with some basic Arcade Mode offer? I would be very thankful if someone can clarify this.

It seems every progress step you make in the game is saved on the Sony servers. I’m not sure what to think about that, on one side it’s probably got something to do with the FIA license you can earn in the game and to prevent cheating / credit exploits like in Forza. Maybe they will also track all your stats and allow them to be looked up online. That’s the positive side of it. The negative side is quite obvious.

I’m lucky I have a very stable broadband connection so roughly the only troubles I would have would be the Sony servers being offline. But I can feel for you guys who don’t have that luxury.

Still I’m going to keep my neutral perspective on it until the game is out for a few days or week and see how it all turns out. If the servers are offline too much then this will sure lead to some frustrations. Actually the last constant online games I played were probably MMORPG’s over half a decade ago.

It seems every progress step you make in the game is saved on the Sony servers. I’m not sure what to think about that, on one side it’s probably got something to do with the FIA license you can earn in the game and to prevent cheating / credit exploits like in Forza. Maybe they will also track all your stats and allow them to be looked up online. That’s the positive side of it. The negative side is quite obvious.

I’m lucky I have a very stable broadband connection so roughly the only troubles I would have would be the Sony servers being offline. But I can feel for you guys who don’t have that luxury.

Still I’m going to keep my neutral perspective on it until the game is out for a few days or week and see how it all turns out. If the servers are offline too much then this will sure lead to some frustrations. Actually the last constant online games I played were probably MMORPG’s over half a decade ago.
Yep, I'm afraid that my hard-earned progress will be messed up like in the open beta tbh (ofc I didn't have any interest to cheat, and wanted to win all of the offline events fair and square)

So only Arcade playable, like when using Arcade Mode Disc of GT2... That brings me to a question - is there a possibility to unlock full car and track list for Arcade Mode while online and then have it all playable offline? Or am I left with some basic Arcade Mode offer? I would be very thankful if someone can clarify this.
I can't play the game at the moment but I guess you have access to your garage and the unlocked tracks. Though the credits earned will be wasted because of the online save.

The game is not bad, as we all thought. Yeah it has some issues that must to be solved in near time. But from the my side, only thing and the only one that they need to solve it's saving progress online. On the one hand it's cool( because online will be less cheaters), and from the other hand it's horrible 'cause if you have bad connection, all you achivment will be lost.

Back