GT Won is done.PS4 

• Thread starter IfAndOr
  • 324 comments
The results etc have been updated on post 2. The (sort of) handicap system seems to be working because the list of excluded cars is increasing and interestingly, after only 2 races there have been 9 different drivers on the podium. There should be less Toyota's and Mercedes' on the grid next week.

Napalm - Mercedes, Toyota,
Zolon - Mercedes, Toyota,
IfAndOr - Toyota,
Half Sourly - Mercedes,
Flat Twelve - Ferrari,
Raeggee - Panoz,
Rich - Mercedes,
Joe - Toyota,
Racecar - Panoz,

The Toyota was the car of choice for overall speed yesterday. The Nissan was also quite quick also but has more control difficulties before it gets to the straights.

My plan of driving the least represented car dropped me in the Panoz, which I hadn't practised in at all! The two I'd sort of assumed that I might be in and had practised with, both had ABS - which the Panoz doesn't - so that was another thing to contend with. After race one I realised that front tyre wear was going to be a problem so spent most of my qually time for race 2 creating a pit strategy - which my pit crew completely ignored. They didn't change the tyres but instead added more fuel which increased the weight on already my worn fronts. Yes this game is occasionally quirky @RACECAR! But we still like it. :)

The wet race didn't go too badly I thought. Possibly because everyone was being extra cautious? Yesterday it didn't rain for long and began to dry fairly quickly. I'll think about adding it again at a suitable track.

As the car choices are getting less I might eventually get to race in a car I've put a few laps into!
what got me was the overheating tyres on the drying track.
Yes the wet tyres do tend to overheat as it dries out. Drive off line and look for standing water - it cools the tyres down.
Its seems its weirdly finicky in THAT specific instance.
Yep as the others have said it's best to fire up PC2 first and then navigate to the invite using your wheel's controls. Or turn off the controller then the game can't use it. I'm not sure but it maybe only the Logitech wheels it affects. Someone will probably tell me otherwise now.
Well done on the podium place in your 1st race - in the wet! As Mario noted above he will be absent next week, so there will be a space available if you enjoyed it and want to come and show us how it's done again. ;)

I can see why the GT One's were faster now. They have a hover function! The wet doesn't affect them.
MPH0M8M095WAAA1WE_.jpeg
As usual, great pictures John. I expect you used Fujifilm?

sitting duck is sitting duck
Sitting duck Mario? :P

Mario Duck.jpg
Shame you're away next week. See you at Luguna. 👍

Well done on 5th @John Wells that's great. In the Porsche as well? By my estimations that's the slowest car, if you were in the Toyota you might have got podium! But I guess you've taken a shine to the Porsche?

@Zolon32 you're right about not Suzuka, great track. It reminds me of Pro evolution soccer, if anyone's played that... They didn't have official licences, so came up with imaginative team names like Man Red (Manchester United) and West London Blue (Chelsea). Yesterday I was in a Japan Red car, it was very fast.

@IfAndOr if you can't get this game to work for you, then no one can! At the start of every race, before turn 1, I had to turn abs & TC on (because it turned it off every time), adjust BB to 57, change up a gear immediately if I was on the front row, because it would start me in 1st gear, giving all the cars behind the jump on me, or not change up if was on the second row, where it would start in 2nd gear. That's before even getting to the chaos of T1...

Well done on 5th @John Wells that's great. In the Porsche as well? By my estimations that's the slowest car, if you were in the Toyota you might have got podium! But I guess you've taken a shine to the Porsche?
Well Mario helped by, with taking out most of field. I made some mistakes, so lost some places. The Nissan just understeered, last week.

Video of yesterday's slightly bonkers race:

@John Wells Would it be ok if I used one of your images for the thumbnail? I still cannot save replays.

I won't be racing next week, so there'll be definitely a vacant spot for Racecar there. Lastly, hope you guys have fun at Suzuka/Sakkito GP, we'll meet again at Laguna Seca
:cheers:
I'll be there then 👍

I had to turn abs & TC on (because it turned it off every time), adjust BB to 57, change up a gear immediately
The brake balance is because of the default tuning setting, it won't remember your adjustment, it'll go back to default. The ABS/TC I don't usually have a problem with though, they are on for cars that have them. Have you got authentic aids set in the options?
The gear thing though, yeah that's... quirky. (We could try manual rolling starts I suppose, then you could be in whatever gear you choose.)

Video of yesterday's slightly bonkers race
15th to 5th on the 1st lap! Good going. :)

Replays - Does it say that it can't save when you try to? If so it sounds like you've reached the save file limit that Sony impose. Unfortunately Pcars replay files are quite large so it doesn't take many to reach the 1Gb restriction. Try deleting a few, I think they are in the profile tab.
(The maximum single race length that can be saved is around 35 minutes)

** A note to those who haven't raced much at Not Suzuka before - practice the pit stop. The entrance isn't quite where you probably think it is. :dopey:

Quoting myself one month ago in this thread ...
Reading these dates I can say, with certainty, that I will be away from Lisbon and therefore won't be able to race at Fuji (Oct 4th) and Bugatti (Nov 1st), I hope that's not a problem. If it is I ask you to place me as reserve, I'll fill a vacant spot (if there are any) in the weeks I'll be able to race.
Soo ... for some reason I thought November 1st to be next monday. And it isn't, sorry about this confusion ... :dunce:

This means I will show up for Not Suzuka after all, it's the next race (Laguna Seca) I will miss. I do hope next monday there'll be a vacant spot for Racecar anyway, and in any case he'll have my spot for Laguna Seca.

Glad you can unexpectedly be with us at Not Suzuka Mario. May I suggest the Nissan?

And, on that subject, man I'm finding the car choice tricky. Oversteer seems to pop up occasionally in certain spots with all of them. More practice needed.

More practice needed.
Make sure you practice using a summer setting, since that's what I'll be tending to use for the races. Weather conditions will vary however. Track temps can drop by 20°C on a cloudy day - which will affect that oversteer.

Ah, good that you can now make it for Sakitto @Hun200kmh. Hopefully there'll still be a spot for you @RACECAR - Xeronima seems to have gone missing. Hope he's OK.

Again I'm not sure which car I'll be using until race day. Keeps it interesting but it's difficult to practice! And not good for my championship standings. :)

Anyways - ** A note to all **
I'm dropping the tyre wear from the current accelerated rate back down to normal.

I realised from my experience with the Panoz that the pit crew don't always do what you'd like - even if you've set it up! So this will put some at a disadvantage if their tyres are not replaced when they wanted them. Using normal the tyres will still wear but hopefully they will last the race better if they are not changed by an errant pit crew. It may help in keeping cars on track and racing to the end (and there might be less oversteer Zo).

I'm a little late in posting up the weather prediction for Sakitto, sorry. Although to be fair I only got around to sorting it out yesterday. :dopey:

A generally dry day is forecast, but it will become cloudier during the late afternoon bringing the chance of a short spell of rain. Any rain will clear away into the evening.

Remember cloudier/duller means cooler temperatures!

Remember cloudier/duller means cooler temperatures!
I'm not sure if not really understanding what difference the weather makes puts me at a disadvantage (make stupid mistakes) or advantage (don't over-think it). Anyway, I still have no certainty over which car I want to use, so I'll bring an umbrella and leave it at that. (Hope I put it in the right motor.)

I'm not sure...
The 2nd option is probably best, not to over-think it. What it'll mean in practice is that you may notice a reduction in grip as the track surface cools (gets cloudier). So watch those braking distances.

Car? I've done a few laps in a couple of them again but will possibly end up in something else on the night! Oddly, I quite like the Nissan now and the McLaren isn't bad.

Sorry guys, I have had a hard time trying to connect in the last hour and it has not improved so unless a miracle happens, I will have to miss this one today. See you next week.

Last edited:
@half_sourly
Again I believe...

Raeggee Ferrari
Mario Panoz
Rich Ferrari
Max Merc.
Simon Ferrari
Beach Ferrari.
John Ferrari
Oldbass Ferrari
Don Ferrari
Reaggee Ferrari
Simba Nissan
Zolon Ferrari
Napalm Panoz
Joe McLaren
Me Porsche

Last edited:
Yes I realised my mistake pretty quickly and edited it. You were too quick. 😀
(And I see Half was as well)

I was confused because of all the Ferrari's on the grid!

The Porsche, who'd have thought that nobody would be using it. Well I obviously didn't since I'd not tested in it! Wasn't bad though once I'd just about got used to it. I didn't think I'd quite get it on the podium with the competition ahead but they were quite good results though considering I'd initially spun it a few times.

The results etc are now posted on the front page with the list of excluded cars, which is growing. Although that's mainly Napalm and Zo!

Napalm - Mercedes, Toyota, Panoz,
Zolon - Mercedes, Toyota, Ferrari,
IfAndOr - Toyota,
Half Sourly - Mercedes,
Flat Twelve - Ferrari, Panoz,
Raeggee - Panoz, Ferrari,
Rich - Mercedes,

Joe - Toyota, McLaren,
Racecar - Panoz,

Last edited:
My black Panoz (codename "Phantom1" :D ) was a thing of beauty!

Anyways, quick recap

Race 1 - Qualified 2nd . Between quali and race I remembered that I had to set a wheel button for windscreen wipers (previous rainy race at Fuji was a nightmare, I was without keyboard and the button set for the wipers was the "W" keyboard key) so I took care of that. Somehow in this process the game must have changed my in-car view and I only noticed that at the start, Stupidly tried to correct it while driving and so I went off after corner 2. After that it was a mess of a race, plagued with errors. Finished 9th.

Race 2 - Qualified 2nd (again). This time I have no excuses, a few too many mistakes (also again). Finished 7th, did the entire last lap very close to raeggee but couldn't find a way past.

Race 3 - Qualified 2nd (yet AGAIN :ouch:no "third time's the charm" for me). Got off ok from the grid and managed to hold the inside line for corner 1, gaining the race lead. Not sure what happened with Napalm during the race but Zolon got past him at some point (early in the race) because it was Zolon that kept me busy for the entire race, he was never more than 1.5 secs behind and most of the race he was less than 1 sec. I could gain some time in parts of the track, but I'd lose in others. It was a pretty intense race for me (never easy to be the followed one) my palms were really sweaty at the end. Again a good on-track fight with Zolon, thanks for that. 👍

Now for some midseason finishing thoughts (Martin Brundle style :sly: ):

1. @Napalm_LT and @Zolon32 are at the top of the leaderboard and indeed they have been excellent at this event, most probably one of them will own the gold cup at the end. each of them still has one top tier car to use (Napalm the Ferrari, Zolon the Panoz), but as Joe has shown even a midfileder car, properly driven at a track right for it, can do well and even grant a podium finish.

2. @Saltyjoe90 follows them closely in the leaderboard and could still cause an upset to the leaders. He still has THREE top tier cars to use in the FOUR races before the grand finale (Mercedes, Panoz, Ferrari), and that is a nice assurance of competitiveness for the second half of this season/cup/whatever ;)

3. The (shall we call it) midfield features an interesting mix. Topped by raeggee, @IfAndOr and @richroo, these guys have been fast and consistent in all three tracks we've been to, but raeggee, although first in the standings among them, is now unable to use two of the "good cars" (Panoz, Ferrari) and he will miss next week's race, that'll be costly. Paul and Rich are only barred from using one good car each (Toyota and Merc respectively) so they can aim at a lot of good results until the finale. In any case, and to be honest to all, I guess that by now the chance of anyone from this group to win this championship is about the same of the Ferrari and McLaren drivers in F1 right now :P. It's not an impossibility, but considering the form (both in speed and consistency) so far shown by Napalm, Zolon and Joe, it is a very tall order.

Special mention has to go to @AndreasR, he missed the first race at Brno, and used the Nissan in the two races he showed up to. Since he doesn't speak much (or at all :D ) I have no idea why the Nissan at Fuji and Sakkito, but if he changes cars for the remaining weeks I guess the top of the race results in the second half of this championship could become somewhat different

Also ... @xeronima where are you? Hope everything's ok, you're missing out on an excellent format of racing, hope to see you again on track in the second half of this championship

Meet you all again at Imola (November 8th). Meanwhile, I wish everyone a fun event at Laguna Seca!

:cheers:

Last edited:
Great write up again Mario. 👍

Paul and Rich are only barred from using one good car each (Toyota and Merc respectively)
I bar myself from using any car that's already on the grid so I could be in anything at Laguna. Well except the Toyota. It's proved interesting so far.

Remember chaps it's only those who have finished on the podium who need to swap cars. Everyone else can use what they like or stick with the same car throughout.

I see that in California (where Laguna is situated) they are having historic downpours of rain from multiple storms. Some places are completely flooded. For accuracy I expect everyone will be wanting me to recreate those conditions next Monday? Perhaps a waterfall down the corkscrew? :sly:

Track History Laguna Seca, Maps Videos.

Just a note to say that - although the weather will be a little unsettled on Monday, it will probably remain dry at Laguna during the races.

I've been practising in the Nissan (again). Whether I'll get to use it is another thing!
(I did put a few laps in with the Porsche just in case)

Sorry guys but I have to quit mondays racing for a period of time because I couldn´t find enough time to be well prepared for these cars. Might be that I have to leave the place I am living and move to another one that would be no more racing for a longer time.
See you sooner or later, I´ll be back!!

Latest Posts

Back