GT1 Memories

• Thread starter Nidgi
  • 376 comments
My Memories:
Getting the game free in my first Playstation (Yes ive had more than one) and playing for 12 hours straight! and then figuring out what an Xploder was....... mmm every car in the game later including the Black FTO LM, i was having a blast. its a shame really i lost my disc 1 year ago. :(

Dang! What's with all you guys losing and breaking your discs?? :lol: sheesh!

They most certainly don't. Now GT is much like the Z cars: they're great, but they completely lost focus on what made the first installment such an excellent one. The 260Z and the 280ZX shifted towards comfort, which everyone bought, but the original Z car, the 240Z, was meant as a performer. This made the purists cry, and I bet some do too for GT.

Are you a purist, poolio?

in reference to gran turismo? absolutely, i think the ps2 versions have lost the soul of the original.

Poolio hasn't been here forever. WElcome back. I forget which thread you started when you got here awhile back....it was a good one.

ah yes i remember the 'oh the tragedy!' thread where i discovered i'd lost my original GT game save

i also started the weekly race series thread which kinda died on it's arse sadly

and thank you, it's good to be back :)

I was playing it today and I'd forgotten about the way the cars used to do a one sided bounce if you came off a high kerb.

in reference to gran turismo? absolutely, i think the ps2 versions have lost the soul of the original.

ah yes i remember the 'oh the tragedy!' thread where i discovered i'd lost my original GT game save

That's the one...I should bump it so these new guys get a good read :cheers:

i also started the weekly race series thread which kinda died on it's arse sadly

and thank you, it's good to be back :)

You wouldn't be the first to try and get a race-series or competition started. It's pretty tough online unless you're doing GT4.

Sounds like 'Toon Racers all over again...

Yeah. What a gas!

Last edited:
I remember doing two player battles with my dad. He would always be the '67 Corvette and I'd be a Viper or a Corvette Grand Sport. I'd usually win because he could never control the oversteer. Sometimes I'd purposely take a dive into a sand trap to let him win so he'd want to do another race.

GT1 just takes me back to a happier and simpler time (4th and 5th grade)

Lets see for me it was late 97 early 98, i just bought a PSX resently, winter, but wayy before x-mas, and i got the interactive disc with gran turismo on it. MAN i played that demo for hours, then after 3 weeks, i went to this odd mall ( used to going to Parma mall ) but i went to the 2 story westfield shopping mall instead, which was strange to me then but i go to westfield regularly now and its just interesting. and i got the game for 40 dollars. the game, has sorta room for 2 discs and i bought it used and it was funny because for the longest time i thought i got jibbed on a disc. Anyway, i remember onnight my good frien who recently came to america was over and we were sitting in my living room trying to figure out simulation mode, and we didnt kno english well and it was telling me please select a car and i was like this isnt arcade mode i couldnt just select a car...and my friend was like oh yeahh maybe we have to buy a car.. cuz we literally sat there for like 40 mins. and i rememeber, i bought a 7,000$ R32 GT-S type M skyline the cheapo non turbo R32.. and it was history from there, i absolutly adore this game. This was all when i was 7 or 8 remmeber im born in 90' and i recently moved to america in 96' so it was difficult for a lil' foreigner but ive always wanted a PAL version or the version 1.0 cuz i had the V1.1 ( for gameshark purposes ) :(

I am new here. My memory is that I had the best car to deal with the Normal Car competition, which was the Dodge Viper GTS! It was able to literally BURN every single car that got in its way!

At that time I don't trust Viper's handling, so I used the NSX to beat the Normal Cup, I remember winning all races but I always got 2nd in the race at Deep Forest, the NSX AI is just too much for me.

The first week I got GT1 I remember I couldn't get off the Playstation.
My mum tried everthing to stop me playing.
1st: She nicked the controllers.
SO I BOUGHT ANOTHER CONTROLLER.
2nd: She nicked the game.
SO I BOUGHT ANOTHER COPY.
3rd: She nicked the Playstaion.
NO, I DIDN'T BY ANOTHER PS1, I NICKED IT BACK.

But She won... she locked me out the house after school.

:banghead:

By the way.. ever tried racing a Lister Storm in GT3 after copious amounts of Whisky, Cointreau, Rum and Vodka?

Man, you sure got BURNED!:D

i think i was 4 wen on chritsmas ma dad got me gt1...at first i thought it was just another game but after like 2 days ov playing it i was addicted a 4 year old boy that had gt1 and didnt have 2 go 2 skool(now that i think about it that was tha sweet life)
i remeber wen i first got ma b liscen ma sisters bf (who was 17 then) sat nxt 2 me and told me step by step how to do tha specfic things 2 get tha liscnes it toke me 2 weeks just 2 get tha first liscen i was so stoked it took me 4 years 2 clock gt1
and ma sis bf helped me like all tha way through it i clocked gt2 gt3 easyer
but then i got 37% through gt4 and then he tought ma how 2 drift now im a driftng fantic and he still helps me all tha tym on differnt things...1 day im gona b beta than him 1 day
ps he srill wit ma sis and im 14 now

The first week I got GT1 I remember I couldn't get off the Playstation.
My mum tried everthing to stop me playing.
1st: She nicked the controllers.
SO I BOUGHT ANOTHER CONTROLLER.
2nd: She nicked the game.
SO I BOUGHT ANOTHER COPY.
3rd: She nicked the Playstaion.
NO, I DIDN'T BY ANOTHER PS1, I NICKED IT BACK.

But She won... she locked me out the house after school.

:banghead:

By the way.. ever tried racing a Lister Storm in GT3 after copious amounts of Whisky, Cointreau, Rum and Vodka?

The greatest post I have seen to date! Classic!

And, no, but I did race an RX-7 backwards.

Now that the disc is back, I relive these memories quite often.

But my greatest memory was edging out a Stingray in arcade mode with only a GTO on Autumn Ring!

But, the Sting Ray (note seperate words; only C3s were Stingrays) also weighs about the same with even worse suspension characteristics than the GTO. The Sting Ray tended to oversteer violently, thus its handling is very much less than a stock GTO. At full tune, however, both cars are at odds with each other.

Nevertheless, the A.I. manages to tame the Corvette. (Sorry for detracting from the experience)

Another memory is when i tried to do the Japan Vs America cup in the dodge concept car (red one, fully tuned which wasn't much) and winning it. Really hard, but good fun. Wonderful times.

Yo mah homies. I went down to the local Game Crazy and found a copy of GT1 for a buck. I was happy until I tried to brake. Why does the car go into violent oversteer under braking?

If you're used to [size=+1]GT4[/size], you need to use a lot more moderate braking, yes. The model of weight transfer is different. The car already wants to turn even before you brake, unlike [size=+1]GT4[/size], where the car wants to understeer like crazy unless you brake.

Also, I found with automatic transmission, braking would kick the gear down when you didn't want, causing more loss of traction. That's why I started using manual transmission, even in the demo.

I remember borrowing the game from a friend who was certain I'd love it. And love it I did, but I remember that I never could obtain that A-level licence. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't nail the final test on Grand Valley.

It was a long time until I bought Gran Turismo 2, though; I recall picking it up for $38 (weird number, I know) long after it went Platinum.

I remember that test. Nailed it fairly easily. A-7, if I remember correctly (the Impreza at that tiny little thing set up at Grand Valley's frontstretch), was the most fun for me. The hardest one for me to pass was an A-class, too. A-4, I think (RX-7 at Grand Valley).

Back