GT1 Memories

• Thread starter Nidgi
  • 376 comments
aaaaahhhh gran turismo 1 my brother got it first but i played on it more than him coz he worked a lot.
He bought a mitsubishi gto and tuned it up to b the best car ever.

But now its deep in my drawer long forgotton.... :nervous: :(

oh no im havin a gt urge gotta go playe bye!!

Oh my, those golden times when I was young and handsome(now only handsome :sly: ) that was magic when I saw GT the first time. It was the local game store and the owner shows me something thats going on the projection TV´s screen: replay of few road cars going 200 km/h on a sunny forest road!!! What an impact! I just had to buy a copy for myself. Straight to home and disk into my PSX.. The demo caused an earthquake in my flat!!! And still I think it is the best starting demo of the series. And the gameplay was just unbeatable.
Somehow that feeling has never been reached after that. GT3 was close to it and GT4 has grown all the way (mainly because of Nordschleife)..
Anyway, I hope I feel the same magic with next one... 👍 👍 👍

GordonS
And still I think it is the best starting demo of the series. And the gameplay was just unbeatable.
Somehow that feeling has never been reached after that. GT3 was close to it and GT4 has grown all the way (mainly because of Nordschleife)..
Anyway, I hope I feel the same magic with next one... 👍 👍 👍

I assume you mean the intro and if so I agree, the GT1 intro was great :D Particually when the car peels off the starting grid with a roar :)

Although I can't say I've felt any 'magic' with GT since GT1. Although GT1 still has it, I just can't bear the graphics anymore. Some old games look ok because you can just think of them as an 'older' style but as GT1 looked realistic for the time I don't think its done it any favours in the long run.

A tuned Skyline GTR with 800 hp swapping from oversteer to understeer as the traction control kept swapping the power from the tyres with least grip. Never had that feeling with Skylines in the latter games.

T5-R
I assume you mean the intro and if so I agree, the GT1 intro was great :D Particually when the car peels off the starting grid with a roar :)

Yes, intro was the word! I apologize my finglish. Anyway I´m prepared to confront the magic again. I must buy the game soon because for some reason I "managed" to sell the game in the 20th century. :banghead:
(Again, there is a DS problem: my thumbs are somwhere in the late 90´s)

GordonS
Yes, intro was the word! I apologize my finglish. Anyway I´m prepared to confront the magic again. I must buy the game soon because for some reason I "managed" to sell the game in the 20th century. :banghead:
(Again, there is a DS problem: my thumbs are somwhere in the late 90´s)

No need to apologise, I'm always amazed how well non-native english speakers do on the forums :) I can't remember much of the French and German I learnt in secondary school but I guess thats due to lack of practice!

I've still got my original copy of GT1 which I bought secondhand with a crack in the case in probably '98. Front of case has pretty much fallen apart now :( I'll probably keep my eyes open if I see a cheap copy in better condition.

I remember I used to always be terrible at GT, I never really understood the concept of racing and how cars worked, so i'd just take all of the corners at full speed, hit the walls, and bounce back into action. I remember a few friends of mine would actually complete the game, and I would always copy their save and just play that way, because I could never win any races :P Good times...

T5-R
No need to apologise, I'm always amazed how well non-native english speakers do on the forums :) I can't remember much of the French and German I learnt in secondary school but I guess thats due to lack of practice!

Danke schön! Jezt muss ich zu Nordschleife gehen. :sly:
..Or something like that
Anyway, I thank you for that. 👍

It feels very weird now that when GT was released I never even thougt of buying it. I was a 100% F1 guy then. Then on one day my friend began talking of this game and according to him it was something amazing... "It can't be that good" I thought but went to his place to try it. All I can say is I had been wrong. Nothing can beat the feeling you get when driving the GTO Twinturbo in the High Speed Ring tunnel with Sweet 16 playing in the background... (still getting chills of it)

Greycap
It feels very weird now that when GT was released I never even thougt of buying it. I was a 100% F1 guy then. Then on one day my friend began talking of this game and according to him it was something amazing... "It can't be that good" I thought but went to his place to try it. All I can say is I had been wrong. Nothing can beat the feeling you get when driving the GTO Twinturbo in the High Speed Ring tunnel with Sweet 16 playing in the background... (still getting chills of it)

Yeah I know that feeling.

My first Gran Turismo memory is winning my first race, when I was 4, in a Yellow NSX, I was running around the house with my shirt over my head Shouting 'I win I win!' Of course, I couldn't see where I was going so I fell on my face and broke my nose :sighs: Good times, good times

GT1 remains my favorite game. Even if GT5 will include everything I want, GT1 will be my fav. Nothing can beat it. I've the greatest gaming-memories with it. I remember discovring how to tune cars, how to brake(LOL), how to "race".

T5-R

Can the intro be downloaded somewhere? I don't have the game anymore, and I'd hate to get it again just for a couple minutes worth of movie sequence.

Sleek Stratos
Can the intro be downloaded somewhere? I don't have the game anymore, and I'd hate to get it again just for a couple minutes worth of movie sequence.

I agree, well, can it?

I don't know if the intro can be downloaded as I haven't had any need to look :)

Although its probably out there...somewhere... <cue xfiles music> ;)

Memories of GT1?

Well, the one that has stuck to my head, and which i recall fondly (shouldn't be really!)

Is losing the Grand Valley Enduro.

Let me explain.

I had a Mishibushi (sp?) FTO, which i had heard was the best handling car in the game, ever. I rather stupidity thought that this meant i could win the race, EASY, even though i was going up against a Nissan Skyline, with something like 700 bhp, while i had 400-500bhp!

It is the best handling car.

Except i still lost, cos i didn't actually take into account of pit strategies, tire wear, driving styles (mine was very much harsh braking and booting the gas) and other effects.

I had actually gotten up early one morning, to complete it, was about a lap away from the finish.

In the lead.

With red tyres.

The Nissan Skyline screaming around the course in record time

I would *still* have won the race, with tiny seconds left, if i didn't spin on *that* corner, the two chicanes before the last corner leading to the finish line!

When the Skyline went zooming past, the frustration, the sadness, was almost too much to bear....

I completed the race in 1 hr and 45 mins. In *Second Place*

However, i do remember that with fondness, cos it was a shock, and showed that it was not actually an easy game if played in the right way (overpowered cars and the like)

It's still not been completed. I really should do!

lol, yeah, that's not the nicest way to lose. What I remember was that I used the GTO LM in the Grand Valley endurance race and in the Special Stage Route 11 race. I won with a small margin in Grand Valley and I trashed them in Special Stage Route 11. That was so weird, because I thought that I woud have a tough match in SSR11, but it wasn't...not at all! :/

I think the first time I tried the GV enduro I went up against the other cars in my Viper, qualified first, and didn't know that you are supposed to use HARD tires for the race because they last longer. So my tires went red after just a few laps and I was like huh? How come everyone else is still going?

Last edited:
:lol: reminds me of the GT4 enduro on super speedway which I actually ended up doing 3 times as B-Spec bob couldn't manage it. I lost it the first time as I got my pit stops wrong and ended up trying to do the last 10 laps or so with red tyres. At 230mph with 800BHP or whatever it has it was pretty tricky (naturally no aids) even though it was only going around a loop.

Ended up getting tapped in the side on the last lap and sliding sideways at like 150mph or something silly.

Can't say I can remember much of the GT1 enduros, never really had any problems with them but then I used my best car as I didn't intend on wasting 2 hours etc... :)

Ahhh - GT1 memories!

I must have been 10/11 when i got hooked onto it - i tried out half the cars there only on a B-licence. Kept doing the Sunday Cup to fund my tuning. Of course back then it was whack on as much turbos as i could - it was all about the power for me, i knew nothing about tuning!

FF cars were my favourite because they didnt spin out every five minutes like FR cars did lol. I adored race mods - i was so impressed with the idea that u could turn your scabby old 1988 Silvia into a mean racing car!

I always used to buy the AE86 Levin simply because it looked so old and skanky compared to the curvy new cars; of course i never could control it! I also had one Demio in each trim level - 201bhp max and could still whup their asses on the Sunday Cup!

GT1 had the best music line-up and the best intro. I liked the individual car dealer music; i think Honda's was the catchiest tune! lol.

My very first Memory of GT1 was, I was at my cousins house, and he just bought the game and we had a head to head battle with 2 identical Blue Corvette's at the High Speed Ring. I remeber him pushing me into the wall off the exit of Turns 1 and 2 before the stright into the Hairpin. He pushed me so hard into the wall, my front 2 wheels lifted and i did a Wheelie halfway down the strightaway lol

My First Gt memory was hiring the game and going to my dads work. It was smoko time (lunch) and one of my dads co-workers wanted to play. He chose the Camaro SS and i chose the Eclipse Gt and OWNED him on the high speed ring, i was 7/8 at the time

P.S Smoko time is lunch time

TheBigMan045
My First Gt memory was hiring the game and going to my dads work. It was smoko time (lunch) and one of my dads co-workers wanted to play. He chose the Camaro SS and i chose the Eclipse Gt and OWNED him on the high speed ring, i was 7/8 at the time

uh..."smoko time?"👍

Memory? Pushing the 'turbo' button on my Viper controller and thinking that either the FCRX7 was reeaally slow, or the game was impossibly hard. :lol:

Why put a turbo button if it limits your speed to 40 mph? (got up to 49 downhill, woo! lol)

It was a red FC on Trial mountain, and I got OWNED. Then I pushed the button again and owned the AI.

Hahaha thats hella funny! I just got a new memory card.....time to go through my childhood again:) Oh yea and i remember winning like 15 Spoon Civic(Racer) back when I didnt know what Spoon was.......Wait. Were they Spoon Civic Type Rs?

JamaicanDrifter
Hahaha thats hella funny! I just got a new memory card.....time to go through my childhood again:) Oh yea and i remember winning like 15 Spoon Civic(Racer) back when I didnt know what Spoon was.......Wait. Were they Spoon Civic Type Rs?

Were they Spoon or were they just classed as Hond's in GT1?

Back