GT1 Memories

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 1' started by Nidgi, Feb 1, 2003.

1. rynogt4

rynogt4

I remember something (that's a milestone for me (not sarcasm)) years ago when I was little, I used to watch my brother play GT1 and GT2. Because of that, I'm pretty sure I can beat him in any GT game. Back then it took him 2 hours to pass A-4 (GT1) alone and now I can pass it (sometimes with silver) in 1 attempt.

2. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

Very cool. It's always good to see how we've progressed and how the tests aren't as bad as we remembered.

3. callum-o

callum-o

Yeah, I bought gt1 off eBay and got straight back into it. when i was 7/8 it was all too hard but i went and did nearly every test first time.

4. matherto

matherto

right then, I've just got a new memory card.

All golds on the first license tests, so all is good on the driving front. I'm still amazed by how well the graphics have stood up in nine years.

still an amazing game

5. thegt4masta

thegt4masta

Me and my bro used to make car lists of all our cars and how much horsepower and if they were modified or not. I was playing gt1 a little while ago and i couldn't belive how bad the graphics were. I went to my garage and a whole bunch of memories came back. Doing a bunch of races just to get a mazda demio to sell. And thats how i got my money. Thats what started it all for me!!

6. GT_Jim

GT_Jim

Oh, the demio... i cannot forget the pleasure i used to get everytime i won this car....then with 15000+ in my pocket, i got an old supra, and that's how I started my career....

7. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

What did you use to win that Demio? What came before hte Supra?

8. GT_Jim

GT_Jim

As i can remember a crx, or a s13 k's silvia, or an ae86.
    You know, with a racing exhaust (with the rest 2,000 credits) to gain up 10-20 hp.

9. Kelvari

Kelvari

My earliest memories of Gran Turismo are from the pre-release demo disc I got where I was able to use a [R]Chevrolet Camaro in a demo of Arcade mode on Clubman 5. So much fun....

10. Knee Dragger

Knee Dragger

Amen, that Demio was such a help. I kept one and then sold every other one I got. I used to do the Sunday Cup a few times over, win the cash for every pole position, every first place finish, and the overall championship credits. Then I'd sell that Demio and do it all over again. Never had to use a cheat code because that was a natural part of the game, and to me much more realistic than the later versions of the game. I did that over and over until I could afford the racing model RX-7 from Mazda, then realized how I got jipped several horsepower from what was shown in the dealership vs. my garage.:tdown: Still, I loved it and just racked up my money with the lesser cup races over and over to have a strong car for the higher tier ones.

Started off with an FC RX-7 Eifini with 202hp and spun the car completely around at the first Autumn Ring Mini race I ever entered at the first turn.:ouch: Then I got an Integra Type R, modified it for racing (Castrol EVERYWHERE with red and blue accents on silver paint, not that ugly red and green on white), and that became my basic car for a lot of events.

I never missed the menu/dealer musics form the original (that jazzy crap from GT2 on still annoys me), and I liked that you didn't always have these rolling starts for 90% of your races, got rewarded for driving well and getting pole positions instead of having to fight from last place all the time to the win, and just being able to have more fun entering new races and making a good amount of money without difficulties forced upon you. If you qualified well you got paid for it and started there, otherwise you worked with what you earned, not with what they gave you. They just made it a sour point for me when it came to earning money when you no longer got rewarded for getting the pole (and qualifying was "hidden" in the Practice mode) and the amount you won per race went down significantly due to that lack of extra winnings. Sure I like a challenge, but the original GT was, and still is, a challenge that was more fun to me than the later versions, which, when I compare them to the orignal, are just better to look at in the end.

One thing I don't really miss but will never forget was losing a race on Special Stage Rt5 in my Integra. Took the last turn too wide and got passed on the inside by a RM Civic. Tried to catch up but I'd never messed with gear ratios so the car bounced around between 164 and 167 down that last straight. I got up next to him and I was RIGHT THERE, inching by, then came the finish line. My jaw dropped because as far as I could tell we were dead even. The scoreboard came up and showed me the results....I lost by .001 sec. If only I'd tweaked the gears...:ouch: :ouch:

11. Baby_Racer

Baby_Racer

My GT1 Memories is when i buy a Demio thinking is a fast car but when a put the accelerator HOLY CRAP!!! i'll sell that s*** later a ibuy a GTO damn that my fav and when i hit 260mph un a White 97 Supra RZ

12. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

ah, the Demio is great. It is a part of the Gt series. Without the Demio, something would be missing!

13. Renisis Power

Renisis Power

The first GT I ever played was GT2 my brother in law brought it over one time so I played it and I really loved it my first car I ever drove in a GT game was a S2000. I did simulation mode in GT2 got really far and realized there is no Pontiac GTOs(this is back when Pontiac GTO's were my favorite cars) in it which was dissapointing to me. And one day I wound up talking to my freind Ron about the no GTO situation in GT2, then he said that their is GTOs in GT1 (that is what his causoun told him he did not play GT's) and that they can get up to 900hp and I was all like hell yeah!!:drool: I got exited. So I bought GT1 and then there was no GTO or Pontiacs! boy was I disappointed all I seen was Mitsubishi GTOs I have never heard a Mits GTO's before that, of course because in GT2 they are called 3000GT's.

So anyway I started a game on GT1 loved it to death and got hooked. My first car in my first GT1 game was a MA70 Supra. I cleared the game in about a month, and right after that I started more and more games it was a blast. Well anyway thats the end of my overly long GT adventurs.:dopey: :D

14. SportWagon

SportWagon Premium

The prize Demio is not as good (too heavy) when tuned (or race-modded) in the PAL game, compared to the North American game. I'm not sure about the Japanese game.

North American players can do amazing and amusing things with a tuned Demio.

15. 05GT05

05GT05

I got GT when I was eight years old and i was terrible at it. I could never get myself slowed down enough to make a turn. But i was dedicated and even though the sunday cup was the only cup i could win i played it over and over again. I would play an hour before school and an hour after (all my mom would let me play). And eventually on the same routine i had enough money to by the GTO LM edition looking back on that know i would never be able to do all that for one car.

16. Skid Mark 33

Skid Mark 33

I rember when I got my copy of GT1. I was sitting in McDonalds one day, when my Dad said ''Craig, I brought this for you today'', well, it was something like that anyway. So I took it out of the bag, and when I saw it I was like
    [​IMG]
    When I got home I played it straight away!

bellybox likes this.
  17. Jim Prower

Jim Prower Premium

I learned to drive on the old GT1 demo, with High Speed Ring, the C4, the NSX, and my stubby little button-mashing fingers that were used to playing Sonic 2. good times.

bellybox likes this.
  18. TheBook

TheBook Premium

Let's see...my first memory was when I was about 6 years old and started crying because I couldn't pass license B-1. Once I finally was able to pass tests, I did the Sunday Cup over and over. I couldn't tell (at the time) why I couldn't win with a 3000GT-I mean, it's got way more power than the other cars....My thinking at the time was messed up.

19. SportWagon

SportWagon Premium

Yup. I remember having trouble with the first two license tests. They taught me that I needed to rev the engine *before* I expected to move.

20. Skid Mark 33

Skid Mark 33

Do you mean you just sat there expecting the car to go by itself?

21. DarkED

DarkED

My memory of GT1 is:

Endlessly tuning the Mitsubishi GTO (GT1's version of the 3000GT, and also my favorite GT1 car) to attain even higher speeds and corner even better. I used to use up entire notepads writing down gear ratios, downforce and suspension settings. None of that mattered, of course; you could run that car straight into a wall and it'd just bounce off and keep goin' :) That car had phenomenal pulling power. It'd pull whatever way you told it to the very nanosecond you turned the wheels.

Ahh, them were the days.

22. SportWagon

SportWagon Premium

No. I thought that you should keep your "foot on the brake", not "depress the accelerator" until the countdown had ended. (Thinking that, otherwise, it should be a false start . . . )

23. Driving Park

Driving Park

One GT1 memory is after I received GT for a birthday present when I turned 8 (!) my memory card broke so I had to restart GT mode every time I played it. So one time after buying the GTO and getting pretty far with it, I saved up some money and after looking around I bought a brand new black Honda Accord sedan. I didn't have enough money to tune it so I just drove it in the Sunday cup and I thought it was such an amazing car...:crazy::scared:

Another memory is taking the old Supra to Autumn Ring Mini when I first got the game and spinning out 3 times in one lap.:ouch:

:-)

24. toyota_gt1

toyota_gt1 (Banned)

one of my worst memories was in the ssr11 endurance race. it was the last lap, i was in the castrol supra gt, about 7 seconds in front of another supra gt. my tires were worn and i hit the "deadly chicane" :banghead:. you know what happened next.

25. Carbon_77

Carbon_77

Yeah! GT was fun. I still have it... and still play it. :D

I have tried numbers of games with different cars. Then, probably the 10th game I've started, I bought the 1996 Mitsubishi GTO (Used). That was the car that got me ahead. For me you could only qualify for 1st, or last. That's weird. I bought a nice car with the money from doing the Sunday Cup over and over! :lol:

26. Carbon_77

Carbon_77

Yeah! GT was fun. I still have it... and still play it. :D

I have tried numbers of games with different cars. Then, probably the 10th game I've started, I bought the 1996 Mitsubishi GTO (Used). That was the car that got me ahead. For me you could only qualify for 1st, or last. That's weird. Any who, I raced the Sunday Cup, then I won! That was the sign that I could win. I didn't yet, but I knew I could do the Sunday Cup over and over again to get more ca$h! :idea: I'm still playing now, but I hope some time soon I will win.

Carbon_77 :sly:

27. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

OUch! :ouch:

Very cool. Nice to have someone around here who still plays GT1. There aren't many, but you've come to the right place to find those that still do. :tup:

28. Carbon_77

Carbon_77

Yeah! Well, I got it used and it works very good! :eek: For an old game like that, it impresses me! :D

29. DustDriver

DustDriver Staff Emeritus

The thing about GT1 i still remember is the drifting i did with the GTO LM (also my favorite car ;) )
    There was 1 turn on ssr11 where i could drift backwards :)
    Before the turn i would throw the car almost completely round, then full throttle and counter steer.
    At the end of the turn the car would be facing the right direction again without hitting something :)

30. Carbon_77

Carbon_77

Yeah. That was nice.