GT2 on PS3

It's a Sony Playtation 3 Memory Card Adapter to access your old PS2 game saves on PS3 consoles that are Backwards Compatible. It was sold in stores several years ago but now can be found for sale on Amazon or eBay.

Another option if you're in North America is picking up an old DexDrive off eBay. If you want to use data off an existing memory card, that's what I use - there's some programs out there that can convert dex files to PS3-friendly formats. A quick look shows they can be had for pretty cheap, too.

There was a European equivalent - X-Drive, maybe? - but I can't remember.

wait, seriously, how do you play PS1 games on PS3?
Does it work with PS2 games?
PLEASE TELL ME!!!

Its dependent on which model PS3 you have whether it is backward compatible with PS2 games. I thought they all could play PS1. I got GT 1 and 2 on my PSP. However GT2 runs at about 90% speed which is a slight bummer. GT1 is full speed and at least the slowdown on GT2 isn't too bad

From what I've been told... Your PS3 needs to be one of the backwards compatible models... which are the 80GB or 60GB versions. So insert older GT game disk into your PS3 to check BEFORE purchasing the adapter. Once that has been established, it will only work with the standard 8MB Memory cards. So if you have the bigger capacity card, you will first need to copy your save to a 8MB memory card. I found that I can pick up a used one for $130 or a refurb for $200.

Last edited:
From what I've been told... Your PS3 needs to be one of the backwards compatible models... which are the 80GB or 60GB versions. So insert older GT game disk into your PS3 to check BEFORE purchasing the adapter. Once that has been established, it will only work with the standard 8MB Memory cards. So if you have the bigger capacity card, you will first need to copy your save to a 8MB memory card. I found that I can pick up a used one for $130 or a refurb for $200.
Not true. All PS3s play PS1 games.

Hi , i am interested to buy gran turismo 2 , i have a 250 gb ps3 of late 2011.. how can i play it ? memory card or other stuff? i have not a Ps1
Any tips about version to check ?

I had difficulties to play MGS Special Missions, because it needs to swap discs (you need to have an original MGS CD1/2 to play this datadisc) and that causes trouble. But GT2 or GT1 were perfectly fine to play.

Nope, Only the early Fat PS3 models do.

Only 60 GB version (for PAL regions) could play PS2 games (it was half hardware (CPU) - half software emulation (GPU))
I think the only PS3 capable of 100% HW emulation was the first japanese 20 GB PS3 which had on its mainboard a PS2's CPU and also its GPU)

o sorry for double post..:((

My problem with Playstation® games on PS3 has to do with the aspect ratio. I don't remember exact details, but on a PS2 it was really fast to change it in the system menu. Genuinely old sets are 4:3.
But you can change aspect ratio pressing PS Button and choosing "Video Settings".

I still have both of my GT1/2 from Childhood, and I have all GTs (except PSP and 5 Prologue) on my PS2/3 I miss the old days... Where it wasn't Bugattis and Lambos, but rare and unheard of classics like the Lotus Elite and Opel Cadets...

Since I just got a notification for this thread anyway...

Only 60 GB version (for PAL regions) could play PS2 games (it was half hardware (CPU) - half software emulation (GPU))
I think the only PS3 capable of 100% HW emulation was the first japanese 20 GB PS3 which had on its mainboard a PS2's CPU and also its GPU)

o sorry for double post..:((
Every PS3 model before the European CECHC 60GB model had full hardware emulation of the PS2 system. That means the 60GB CECHA and 20GB CECHB for both the United States and Japan and anywhere else they ended up before the March 2007 launch of the PAL system. That isn't to say that they would play PS2 games perfectly 1:1 as if it were actually a PS2, especially if you were forcing HD resolutions through HDMI, because the PS2 hardware was a persnickety SoB even on an actual PS2; but any of the models made before the European launch of the PS3 still had the full hardware emulation and so had the greatest compatibility.

The later 80GB CECHE is roughly equivalent to the European launch model, though Sony waited a few months after reducing to partial hardware emulation in Europe before rolling the CECHE out in regions that already had CECHA and CECHB.

i recently bought an early debugging PS3 that can play any region PS1/PS2 games (also PS3 games, but all PS3 are non region locked for PS3 games). Its wonderfull. I kind of worried about YLOD though :)
Of course it is a model with full hardware emulation.

Back