GT4 Officially Goes Gold!

  • Thread starter Thread starter RacingFreak2k3
  • 62 comments
  • 3,311 views
CarbonFiber Man
Yea, almost as bad as North America having the same game for 3 1/2 years while everyone else get GTC and GT Prolougue.:irked: At least you PAL'ers know that you will get it eventually;)
Don't remind me. :yuck:
 
Yeah, i feel for you PAL'ers. I don't know why PD can't release it globally, but o well...at least i'm in the US.
 
GTC and GTP never really enticed me. I like full games if I'm paying full price.

That and the fact that I only just received my DFP, so buying Prologue just to test it out a mere month away from GT4's launch would be useless.

anyway.......december 14th. yeeeeeeeeeeeeeee doggie.
 
I am very happy about this news, I don't think I have ever been this excited about any game release, I guess its for good reason, GT4 looks to be the highlight of my holiday season.

Oh yeah w00t!!!!
 
tha_con
Dec. 14 was the solid date set by SCEA, it is an official release date...
Show some proof of that.
 
Solid Lifters
Still no "Official" release date for US, but December 14 sounds like a good enough target.

GameSpot.com
Gran Turismo 4 will be released in Japan December 3 and in the United States December 14.

is this not official enough? 👍
 
Superhero Wally
woot woot and we'll at least have mgs3 to entertain us for the month until it's release.

Yeah :D

I pre-ordered the Chinese version which also includes English text. Play-Asia says it and it's a good shop. And if it hasn't.. well.. Doesn't matter to me. I just want to play it! And i'm not going to wait till Feb/March or something like that, screw it.
 
Cobra S
is this not official enough? 👍
No. That's just what some game website is saying. It's not official. If there was an official date, it would be at the official Playstation website. And, it's not listed there yet.
 
Solid Lifters
No. That's just what some game website is saying. It's not official. If there was an official date, it would be at the official Playstation website. And, it's not listed there yet.

Official Playstation Web-Site has listed December 2004. Sony has sent press releases to all major media coverage (i.e. GameSpot, IGN, GameDaily, etc) with a date of Dec. 14, 2004.

For those of you who are actually intelligent enough (sarcasm people) to go by dates set from EB.games, gamestop, etc...I ask that you just look a tad lower on the page.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=280875

This company still has Online play listed as a mode, only 500 cars, etc, it's obvious they are NOT keeping up with things, it is simply a guess made by someone, not correct. Things are fine if you say it will release in march, and it comes out in december, things are not if you say it will be out in november, and it releases in december, this is why they bump up release dates, to cover their asses.

SCEA has said Dec. 2004 on their site, and sent a press release, PR INFO, to all media coverage sites/magazines, stating Dec. 14, 2004. For them to change their date now would seriously hinder their sales.

Hell the game already has a rating, which means it's already been passed through ESRB, and it on it's way to Sony Testing and Stamping, which takes approx 3 weeks. And leaves a week and a half to ship the copies. Which leaves us with a release of...*shocker* Mid December...*shocker again* that's Dec. 14 isn't it...whoa...eerie.
 
It's still not an "Official" relaese date, now is it? No. If it was/is the 14 of December, why did Sony make most websites take down that date a few days ago? Could it be coming sooner, or later?

The release date for MGS3 has slipped to various dates as well. No official date until the maker says so. I notice MGS3 wont be in the stores on the 14 of November, like so many websites claimed. Then, it was the 16, then the 18 and now it's the 19 were I buy my video games.
 
The claim that they took the information down is just as suspect as the dates that retailers post.

Solid, what could cause a delay now?
 
Jedi2016
The claim that they took the information down is just as suspect as the dates that retailers post.

Solid, what could cause a delay now?
A lot of stuff, I imagine, but I wont list them.

You never know, we might get the game sooner than the 14. I've never seen Sony ask websites to take down a release date before. But, so many reports of it happening must mean it was true. I think the only time Sony would have a problem with a release date if it was saying the game will be out later that it actually will be. How many times have we seen the wrong date come and go, without so much as a whimper from Sony? But I guess the reverse is a much bigger issue.
 
Never seen Sony take down release dates? Hell, I haven't seen it yet. Sure, I read a few reports, probably exaggerated from a single store that had bogus information and was told to take it down. I've seen no dates change on any of the main gaming websites. And Sony hasn't released any information to the contrary about the "targeted" date of Dec 14th. In fact, based on the recent gold announcement, I'd say there's a better-than-average chance we may even get the game before the 14th. The game is done.. short of a meteor strike on the manufacturing plant, it's well on schedule for the 12/3 and 12/14 dates.
 
Jedi2016
Never seen Sony take down release dates? Hell, I haven't seen it yet. Sure, I read a few reports, probably exaggerated from a single store that had bogus information and was told to take it down. I've seen no dates change on any of the main gaming websites. And Sony hasn't released any information to the contrary about the "targeted" date of Dec 14th. In fact, based on the recent gold announcement, I'd say there's a better-than-average chance we may even get the game before the 14th. The game is done.. short of a meteor strike on the manufacturing plant, it's well on schedule for the 12/3 and 12/14 dates.
OK, so we're in agreement. Good. But the 14 is not official. Projected possible release date, sure.
 
Somewhere in between, perhaps.. official, but not confirmed. Sony did mention Dec 14th specifically, but as a "targeted" release date, as opposed to the confirmed date of Dec 3rd for Japan.

While not confirmed, it does seem highly likely that the game will be out on that day, or sometime very close to that day (before or after).

Given the time necessary for duplication of the discs, I expect to see a locked date for the North American release announced right around the time of the Japanese release, perhaps 3-7 days prior to the Japanese release (probably on Nov 26th or 29th, at the latest, if not sooner). That would be around the time when the NA version would need to be complete (translations, etc), and "go gold" for the Americas, in order to hit their targeted date.
 
kinigitt
That and the fact that I only just received my DFP, so buying Prologue just to test it out a mere month away from GT4's launch would be useless.

Mmmmmmmm, I reckon that a month's worth of GTP would be a good way of giving the DFP a real workout. I've given mine a bashing for the last three. Guess it will have to put up with quite a bit more until Feb/Mar when we get it here in Oz.
GTP and the DFP are an awesome combo, I wonder how much better it will be with GT4...
 
I will "w00t" when I am holding GT4.
 
Call me stupid (no actually, don't), but I still don't get what "w00t" means ...
 
Woo another 3 months of waiting, thanks PD! :grumpy:
 
T5-R
Woo another 3 months of waiting, thanks PD! :grumpy:
We already discussed this above. NTSC'ers are not going to feel sorry for you PAL'ers anytime soon.:p Unless you don't get it by April, then we will spare you some pity. Maybe.:sly:


I would think within about 2 weeks the date will start to firm up at most stores or there will be an announcement from Sony letting us know what's up. For what it's worth,(not much really) Best Buy's presale date is for 12-16.
 
T5-R
Woo another 3 months of waiting, thanks PD! :grumpy:

Indeed. This is the biggest release screw up I've ever seen. And as for us getting GTC and GTP, believe me you didn't miss much. Fun though they were, they don't hold a candle to the full games.

So PD can shove it up their w00t :sly:
 
Funny thing: going gold comes from the moment a game publisher hands over the disc to Microsoft for final processing (security etc.) and printing. It is fast becoming the general term for this same process on all platforms, but not everyone uses it and I highly doubt Sony or PD does. All GameSpot has done is translate YK's words 'it is finished' into 'has gone gold'.
 
December 14th is a SHIP DATE. More than likely, Some stores will have it that day, some stores will have it a day later.

MGS3 is a poor example, because they are strictly 3rd party, NOT SONY PUBLISHED. And AGAIN. Sony NEVER PUTS FULL RELEASE DATES ON THEIR WEBSITE (PlayStation US) ONLY MONTH AND YEAR. SO THEY NEVER "PULLED" IT.

Sony's PR sent confirmation to GameSpot, GameSpy, IGN, GameDaily, etc. I know it went to all of them because they are all on the email distro list. We all got the same information. GT4 will release Dec. 14 in the US, etc. This email was recieved Two days after the TGS. Called it what you want, it's confirmed for me, as well as for many others.


And hopes of it coming sooner should drop that hope, it's less than likey, possible? who knows, would be amazing, but it's less than likely.

Again if I have to go through the whole step by step process...it takes most games an average of 7-12 days to get their ESRB rating. it takes approx. 2 weeks to stamp all the discs/books/cases/etc. Then they have to distribute them all, so you pack them, ship them.
about one business week.

And plese do tell me where you got the information for "sony asking websites to pull their release date". Because no one has reported it. And don't give me a small company, because it's no one credible. I have yet to hear about sony asking anyone to pull the Dec. 14 release date.
 
Arwin
Funny thing: going gold comes from the moment a game publisher hands over the disc to Microsoft for final processing (security etc.) and printing. It is fast becoming the general term for this same process on all platforms, but not everyone uses it and I highly doubt Sony or PD does. All GameSpot has done is translate YK's words 'it is finished' into 'has gone gold'.

Microsoft? Where did that come from? The term's been used since the beginning of the CD age, when master discs were pressed onto 24K gold rather than the aluminum alloy that CDs and DVDs normally use (long before Microsoft even existed). It's quite true that it's just a "nickname", so to speak, for a finished game (or movie, or album), since these days they probably don't even make a master disc. I imagine it's transmitted online to the manufacturer rather than burned and shipped. But what else are they going to say? The game has gone FTP?

In other words, the term isn't worth getting overly technical about. It's just a term used to identify a certain point in the lifespan of a game. These days, it doesn't really mean anything, and it certainly doesn't mean that it's on a gold disc, it simply means the game is finished.
 
Jedi2016
Microsoft? Where did that come from? The term's been used since the beginning of the CD age, when master discs were pressed onto 24K gold rather than the aluminum alloy that CDs and DVDs normally use (long before Microsoft even existed). It's quite true that it's just a "nickname", so to speak, for a finished game (or movie, or album), since these days they probably don't even make a master disc. I imagine it's transmitted online to the manufacturer rather than burned and shipped. But what else are they going to say? The game has gone FTP?

Well production discs like those you'll find in your game box are still pressed on an assembly line, and the gold master disc is used for that purpose (created from the glass master).

As for the Microsoft comment, I gotta agree. Where the heck did that come from?!? :boggled: Part of some weird new anti-Microsoft campaign? :sly:
 
Arwin
Funny thing: going gold comes from the moment a game publisher hands over the disc to Microsoft for final processing (security etc.) and printing.
What're you talking about ?

Going gold means a game "developer" hands over the disc to "publisher" for manufacturing. Depending on publishers, they also do quality test (ie. bug test) to further confirm the quality of the title they publish. And usually, GOLD means it passed all that, and accepted as final product by publisher.

Microsoft ? Going gold has nothing to do with WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Lab) procedure/test. :rolleyes:
 
i think actually saying woot sounds funny
i didnt know it was a whistle.
i thought it was the woooo-t like when you win the lotto.
 
Back