GT4-RaceSeat

• Thread starter njesper
  • 135 comments
Though I really like what njesper has done, I just want to point out that this type of personal customization has been done in the past....I would like to see a cross between what njesper has done, as well as fellow GTP member Martinmaxx have done...as seen here

FYI...Here are another 3 pics of a similiar design that should help 'spark' someones imagination for future reference! :P!

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3

Jesper,

The work and thought that you have put into that cockpit is nothing short of amazing! Well done! I've only got myself a hyperdrive racing frame at the moment, but am looking at upgrading in ways such as adding a proper racing seat, sturdier supports and such. Your design is giving plenty of people including myself new ideas.

OMG! iäve ssen it from the begining and my jaw drops loser every time a se an update and now the finale! *1 sec, JAW DROPS!* ;D well done i'm so dam jelous!

Trash_Master
hey SimRaceDriver dos that dashbord work ?? i mean dos it put out the values from the game ??

I don't know...as it's not my setup, but one I came across some time ago!
I think it would be great, as njesper has pointed out previously, that if it 'could' be done, it would fricking awesome!...to put it mildly! :D

SimRaceDriver
Though I really like what njesper has done, I just want to point out that this type of personal customization has been done in the past....I would like to see a cross between what njesper has done, as well as fellow GTP member Martinmaxx have done...as seen here

FYI...Here are another 3 pics of a similiar design that should help 'spark' someones imagination for future reference! :P!

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3

Well, its ok by me, if other people start putting their seat-projects in here. I mean, the first post is about my project, and everybody can find it easilly, so it will only be cool to have other add to archieve thereafter.
Would be nice if others post it like I did. One post, and then edit it, every time they have updates. In this way every DIY-project wil be gathered in a seperate post, but you can find all info about it in the same post, then use new posts, to tell us all, when there are updates. Well just a wish from me. :)

So everybody, feel free to post your DIY seats :)

Best regards,
Jesper

You'll need a switch for the wipers as well ;) Get your GF / Wife to pour the water..

Btw.. njesper - If I buy the beers, can I come by and try your seat ?....

Martinmaxx is a great cockpit but reckon njespers has the edge in the build & special touchs'.

I can see what you mean njesper about one post one cockpit plus updates, easier to find the project your interested in :)

Trash_Master
hey SimRaceDriver dos that dashbord work ?? i mean dos it put out the values from the game ??

by no means, please don't take this as gospel (disclaimer)

I'm pretty sure that THAT dash is inop. It looks to be from an old Mercedes diesel.....MB has always had weird stuff connected to their clusters, although if you could find one, a repair guide would help identify the wiring in the cluster....
...you just gotta figure out how to get the reading from your ps2 to the dash.

Hi Jesper

That project is way to nice! Cannot imagine how cool it must be...

Cool with the T.Hansen parts :sly:

Bare man selv var lige så gal som dig! :dopey:

Simon

P.s. does the shaker in the seat make a realistic feel?

Jesper, where do you live? I want to come drive in that thing! Freakin' amazing work man! It looks wonderful!

That thing's awesome :) How much did it cost you in all to make that thing? I'm tempted to make one myself now :P

faeringen
Hi Jesper

That project is way to nice! Cannot imagine how cool it must be...

Cool with the T.Hansen parts :sly:

Bare man selv var lige så gal som dig! :dopey:

Simon

P.s. does the shaker in the seat make a realistic feel?

Det er sgu ikke så svært at være gal... man skal bare ville det 100% hæhæ

Well, considering the shaker. I haven't driven an LMP 900 racecar down the mulsanne yet! :) so I actually don't know. But it shurely ups the illusion. It kinda grabs you, and pulls you into the game.
Two problems with the sound readout, is:

1. Basically I donot think that the cars has enough sound-punch in the lower frequency area. Not much bass feel from the ford gt40 for example.

2. Where the bass actually starts to deliver, is, when you go faster, and the wind starts kicking in. And since I haven't played so much with filtering the sound (just given it more bass and less treble on an old amp), the tactile transducer reacts more to the wind increasing, than the actual car engine noise, since the wind noise, is in the low bass-regions of the sound spectre.

But it depends very much on the car chosen. Some cars make this beautiful low buzzing, when the car is not running, but the engine is turned on, and then when you just rev it a bit, the shaking just makes you feel very childish and happy. And actually when driving some cars, you can feel the vibration by putting a hand on the aluminum hood. Could it get any better?? no! hehe

So is it realistic? yes and no. The effect:
1.When just having the engine running, it gives these nice low vibrations.
2.When accellerating some cars, it's just so awesome.
3.When driving really high speed, it basically shreds your spine, and adds to the fear, and building up of adrenaline. Furthermore It FORCES you to smile! :)
4.When driving over curbs, it's just sublime, because you feel it instantly! :dopey: 👍 👍 👍

It's the one unforgettable icing on the cake, everybody agreed!

And actually it's quite simple (and cheap) to hook up to your own setup.

1. Buy a Tactile transducer. Sometimes you can find them at car-shops in the catgory of subwoofers. They are sometimes named: low frequency vibrators, bodyshakers, shakers, tactile transducers etc. In denmark you can get one for about 25 dollars (or 140 dkkr) at www.thansen.dk

2. Take a wooden chair, and drill a hole that matches the vibrators diameter. The vibrator sometimes has a metal nut or something in the middle that has to sit freely.Then screw it onto the back of the chair. It will then use the whole chair as a loudspeaker. The harder the material, the vibrator gets screwed onto, the better the transferrance. So remember some sort of rubber feet on the chair and a carpet, or else, the people living on the floor underneath you, will suddenly demand to have a go at your sim, as a payment for a lot of vibrating glass downstairs :scared: :)

IF you have a real racing seat, you can do as I did. Attach the vibrator to a piece of wooden board, then attach a kind of tower, and a hollow piece of aluminum across, then put some kind of straps thru the hollow piece, and around the metal bars in the sides of your seat (yes you have to cut the fabric open a little :indiff: ). Then you can tighten the whole thing, and thereby pushing the woodenboard very tight onto the back of the seat. The tighter, the more vibrations transfers to the seat. And because it's on the back, and not under the actual seat, the vibrations dont get transferred too much thru the rest of the construction. Nice thing for the neighbours.

Last solution: buy the vibrator, and strap it onto your head with duct-tape (will not recommend this solution though :) ) NO JUST KIDDIN! DONT DO THIS AT ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!!!

The vibrator should the be connected with normal speakercoords, and attached to the left or right speaker output. Then turn the bass a bit up, and the treble a good bit down, and then slowly adjust to suit your own taste.

Best regards,
Jesper

Thirdeye
That thing's awesome :) How much did it cost you in all to make that thing? I'm tempted to make one myself now :P

I think I have already covered the costs on the first page in one of my posts. :)

Best regards,
Jesper

THE DFP-FIX, as I promised, has been posted on first page, as update 9.:)

Hope those of you, who have invested in that wonderful DFP, can benefit from this post.

Keep posting comments, questions or suggestions.
Next update will cover some additional style shots of the modded pedals, and the whole RacingSeat! :)

Best regards,
Jesper

Looks cool... but I bet you pissed off a Lotus owner by jacking his logo off his car... haha.

GT-RaceSeat_050.jpg

By the way, did you have any time to play the game at all while building your cockpit?

BlueRex
this makes my rig look like crap........and i was really proud of it. :(

Arh.. comon :)

This should be inspiration, not competition. Feel free to use my blueprints or ideas. Perhaps you can just modify your setup, and suddenly it will be much cooler... ?

Best regards,
Jesper

Back