GT4 track you hate most

• Thread starter Klonie Gun
  • 1,362 comments
I soooo missed the Rome circuits when GT4 came out. I liked the high speed / low speed personality to them, and how the balance of each was.

Opera is my favorite (maybe second favorite; or 1a, 1b with Monaco) street circuit. You can throw the car around, in fact its a must; bounce around the curbs to your advantage, etc...👍

Seattle is up there also, but thing that bugs me is the hill climb section (or downhill section in reverse). I just can't take it that seriously because your catching air every lap. Doesn't compute. :dunce: But the infield sections to the hairpin is great in a DTM car. Using ALL the curbs and run-off, up tight to the armco, buzzing the apex armco, cranking down the gears to the hairpin, then power down the straight into a four wheel semi-drift across the RR tracks.

Funny thing is, that my brother lives in Seattle and I've visited him alot, and I have never seen the sun look that way. (?) Maybe it does. When we get together we fail alot.:sly:

I need to do more rallies in GT4.

Many gamers all over the world must think Seattle and Germany are a sunny places to live all the time. :lol: Not so.

i think the best track is in fact trial mountain. i can drive on it with a fully tuned 1023hp
Dodge Viper and i love it. (Plus the viper is a great sounding car)!

Trail Moutain was GREAt in GT and GT2. Catching serious air towards the end of the backstretch was always a blast. In GT4, all that's left is a little ^ bump. But I have yet to catch air over it. :(

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned...but having tried to navigate this course to finally get my S-License (sacriledge I know), I have to put down my new most loathed track...Chamonix.

Just saying that damn name has me sprouting in a cold shiver!! :crazy::mad::irked:

Now I must state right from the off I'm no great shakes at rallying, but I at least got on with the tracks in GT2/3 (Smokey Mountain etc). But what were the course designers thinking when they made Chamonix?! It's bad enough that they made the Grand Canyon course a 1st gear hairpin borefest anyway, but at least that had nice scenary, and was at least quite rewarding to race round. Chamonix, on the other hand, is a whole world of pain. I swear I spend no more than about 5 seconds of the 2-and-a-half or more minutes going around the track in anything higher than 2nd gear, tiptoeing around endless tedious hairpin after tedious hairpin.

And if that's not bad enough, there are parts of the track where - this might just be me - you honestly CANNOT see where the track goes!! The sun hits the snow and you literally cannot see a thing. All you see is white, and some vague landmarks that sort of point you in the right direction, ish.

Oh, and then you will approach one of the interminable hairpins, and inexplicably spin out. Anyone else have this? Ive had it a couple of times, and it really is beyond annoying - you will enter a corner exactly as you did for the umpteen previous corners, except this time you will spin a perfect 180:confused:. It's beyond frustrating, as I'm already tiptoeing around the course as it is, such is my complete lack of confidence on snow - I'm at least half alright with dirt, but snow is something else altogether.

Now, I might be being naive here, but is Chamonix an accurate representation of snow rallying/Andros Trophy race courses? Because I always understood rallying to at least have a mix - some fast corners, some slow hairpin corners, straights, dips, yucks, hazards etc. All Chamonix appears to be is endless slow hairpins. If Chamonix IS an accurate representation of snow/ice racing tracks, then I'll cede my critisicm of the track. If it's realistic, then I will admit to just being completly ham-fisted with the art of ice racing. But if it's not, and that is my gut reaction, then who was responsible for this track?

I've never been one for pernickty, fiddly, tight tracks anyway - SS Route 11 in GT3 was a track I used to loathe, but I started to enjoy it after a while at least, but I suppose because that was tarmac, I was okay to a degree. George V Paris also suffers from this. Funnily enough, other tracks similar to this, e.g. Costa di Amalfi and Citta di Aria, I love. I really enjoy those tracks. But Chamonix...:mad:

Like I say, I will withdraw my critisicm of this track if it's at least a realistic interpretation of ice racing tracks. I'll just admit to not getting along with the track full stop and keep struggling on. Any ice racers/rallying fans got any info on this?

Personally, I've come to adore Chamonix. When you get the hang of driving on snow, so many of the corners are just so rewarding, and are beautifully designed. Cars like the Peugeot rally car in license test S-14 fit the track best, which is what makes that one of my favorite tests in the game. I know that it's of little consolation to you, though; it really does take a long time to become adept at snow driving, and using a wheel (as I believe you do, right?) makes it much harder because of the time it takes to get from lock to lock.

I use a wheel sometimes, but mainly a controller.

I suppose you're right, I mean, it must feel fantastic to flick the car from side to side through the corners. I've just...as you say, I've always taken a long time to figure out dirt driving, let alone snow driving. It's just...I've got no confidence on the surface. It's that instant spin I talk of earlier. I managed to just scrape through that test in the end, but I suppose I just need to get the track in practice, with no fears of off course fails or anything like that, and just practice the thing. At full chat, the course would probably be sublime - for me, its just daunting as hell. Same with the Ice Arena. The Ice Arena is probably worse as it makes less sense to me than Chamonix - at least Chamonix's corners at least sort of flow into one another, but Ice Arena just doesn't.

Very constructive reply, and you putting it like that actually makes me want to become more proficient in the art of dirt/snow driving :)

I think you put it perfectly: the ice courses are wonderful when you've mastered them, but when you're still learning, they're excessively intimidating and difficult, and are unpleasant as a result. Ice Arena is definitely nowhere near as good as Chamonix, but I do think that most of the course is good, especially the first sector, before the two hairpins. The very last corner is awful, and I have no idea how the track's designer could have considered it a good idea, because if you care about not hitting the walls at all, you really do have to tiptoe even if you're experienced.

I can't stand Monaco unless I'm the only car on the track. Its such a technical and small track with few places to pass (and I mean clean passing) that its always a mess when I race here...someone's always going on about how they got punted or used as a wall blah blah :rolleyes:

Jerome

I think you put it perfectly: the ice courses are wonderful when you've mastered them, but when you're still learning, they're excessively intimidating and difficult, and are unpleasant as a result. Ice Arena is definitely nowhere near as good as Chamonix, but I do think that most of the course is good, especially the first sector, before the two hairpins. The very last corner is awful, and I have no idea how the track's designer could have considered it a good idea, because if you care about not hitting the walls at all, you really do have to tiptoe even if you're experienced.

You've hit the nail on the head exactly my man. Chamonix is daunting for me, as I'm struggling to just keep the car from spinning, and I just tiptoe, and don't get a flow going at all. You've driven me to practice on those circuits a little more though - it's like I went through a period, when I was into touge racing, of running excessively on Cita di Aria until I mastered it, and it felt so satisfying to run a high-powered machine through those streets, hitting every corner and drainage duct perfectly on the kerbs. Might have to do this for the snow tracks :)
Yeah, that corner just makes no sense at all! Completly ruins any flow you might have - and believe me, it's not like I had any at all by the time I made it to that stage of the lap...:nervous:

I can't stand Monaco unless I'm the only car on the track. Its such a technical and small track with few places to pass (and I mean clean passing) that its always a mess when I race here...someone's always going on about how they got punted or used as a wall blah blah :rolleyes:

Jerome

I know the feeling. I raced in the 1000 Miles a few weeks ago there, and clearing lapped traffic was an absolute nightmare. My consolation was that my main rival for the race was even more terrible at clearing the traffic, so I got a jump on him. Even so, clean passing was almost non-existant - I got some sort of body contact whenever I paseed a guy there. It really was door-to-door stuff. It's a great track for high-performance downforce machines, but the street cars didn't seem to like it too much. I like the track, but I agree with you - a 🤬 to pass on cleanly and battle.

Jerome

I love it, especially when Jerome's driving a '63 Vette Z06 Race Car with bright red rear tyres! :P
It's about the only time I can keep up with him here!!! :scared:

Falcoln, Chamonix is actually the better of the two snow/ice tracks. Once you learn it, you may find it's a blast to drive and race. :) I've had plenty of cat/mouse-type battles with the Ai here where I'll pass them, they pass me, I pass them, etc.

It took me a while, too...at first I disliked this track. Not just because it took me a while to learn it, but also because the track gets a glare on my TV screen. It was hard for me to see where the curve of the walls start and stuff. The trick is NOT to use heavy throttle...feather the throttle, brakes, and steering plenty till your car is at the angle you need and THEN give full gas.

Ice Arena, on the other hand? I STILL hate this track! :mad: It's the little things...that little kink they put in the ice-wall just before the straight begins. Why? Why coudln't they have taken an ice-pick to it and broke it apart? :mad: Now I'm mad. :banghead:

I love Laguna seca - just to pump away spare time and laps.
I can't stand Motegi (every track)- I grew a hatred for it when i was more of a noob because if you got off it would take forever to get back on due to the deep gravel traps.

I can enjoy all of the tracks forward or reverse.....it's a challenge!

....except for Swiss Alps, which seems like no fun at all. Really poor effort at creating a rally stage, especially considering the glory of Grand Canyon, and remember how much fun Pikes Peak was in GT2! I want it back in GT5!

I pretty much love all the road circuits. Favourites? Hard to pick but probably the Ring (standard!), Suzuka, Deep Forest, Monaco, Grand Valley East (love the winding bit into the not-quite-a-chicane), Laguna, Trial Mountain, and a few others. These are all great in reverse too.

People seem to hate on the Paris and HK circuits.........I don't get it! HK is an absolute blast, especially in a MR or 4WD car, and the Paris circuits teach you restraint and momentum or crash.

The weird one for me is Tokyo. In reverse, it's really good fun, but I haven't yet got the hang of it the normal way round, it just seems to get tiresome. There are other tracks that I prefer one way over the other but this is the main one.

I'd love to see more high-speed circuits with technical corners like the Istanbul F1 circuit, Silverstone, Bathurst and Spa in GT5. I love it when what you originally thought was the apex turns out not to be, especially on winding multiple corners where the apex comes really late.

I can't stand Motegi (every track)- I grew a hatred for it when i was more of a noob because if you got off it would take forever to get back on due to the deep gravel traps.

Lesson? Stay on the track! :lol:

I love Motegi because of the lighting on the non-ovals and its tricky, first 10 laps you might think youre going in circles, but there's subtle differences in the radius of the turns even though they are the same type, a blast in Super GT machines.

I really hate New York, its too slow for regular cars and with the really fast cars you have to brake miles ahead of the turns.:scared: + craptastic lighting and where are all the PEOPLE?

Last edited:
Can't get much more boring than the Test Course! :yuck: It was ok in the missions because it taught you how to draft properly. But other than that, a course that I don't ever want to race on.

I don't like Seoul all that much or CHamoix - spelling?

I really like Laguna Seca, Trial Mountain, and Grand Valley. I can't wait for those on GT5!:drool:

I personally hate for real circuits, Twin Ring Motegi Road course, original courses, high speed ring, city tracks, George v Paris, and dirt, uuuuuuuuum, they're all good

Any Suzuka course except the East Short Course, and the one track where you're basically driving thru one lane streets, citta d'aria or something like that. Basically highly technical tracks are the ones I don't like.

There's two tracks in paris. Opera and King George. I'm not to fond of either and I really dislike Suzuka circuit(full track)

I hate Citta D'Aria reverse. I always manage to stay just ahead of the other car, but then on lap 5 I slam into a brick wall that juts into the road for no reason. My favorite track is El Capitan, if only for the corner over the hill.

Back