GT4 Tracktalk and Tracklist *UPDATE* UNCHICANED LA SARTHE!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 335 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about Lemans track
I attached a photo I found from a website
it seems I can't find the same spot in GT4
is it because this is the old version of Lemans?
I thought we have old and new version of Lemans in GT4
old version = no chicane
new version = with chicances
I am little bit confused here ... help!
btw, can someone guide me where I can find some old Lemans video for download
just want some reference to study this track

Attachments

• dunlop.jpg
    dunlop.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 76
I'm uploading a vid of the unchicaned older track now, you can see that exact spot from a similar camera angle.

franz
I have a question about Lemans track
I attached a photo I found from a website
it seems I can't find the same spot in GT4
is it because this is the old version of Lemans?
I thought we have old and new version of Lemans in GT4
old version = no chicane
new version = with chicances
I am little bit confused here ... help!
btw, can someone guide me where I can find some old Lemans video for download
just want some reference to study this track
That picture is from (pre-1990 due to the Group C cars) layout of Circuit de La Sarthe before they chopped that crest down to a smaller crest due to the flying Mercedes' of (I believe 1998 or 1999). That is why you don't notice that hill in GT4, because, although they have the pre-1990 layout without the chicanes on the Mulsanne straight, it is not actually 100% accurate, since they do not have the minor differences in the corners, nor does it have that hill at the end of the Mulsanne straight (which is where that photo is taken from.)

thanks for the video Live4Speed
(another great video for my collection :) )
but I am not convinced enough (stubborn :guilty: )
because what I see from the photo
there is an upcoming left hand corner (you can see at the bottom of the pics)
while in the video you uploaded, it is a high speed right hand corner
don't you think so?

Attachments

• live4speed_capture.jpg
    live4speed_capture.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 109
Okay ... I got it now
the downhill from dunlop bridge was being removed after year 2002
and they replaced it with a series of sweeps
that's the beginning of the course, not the end of the Mulsanne straight
if anyone interested, check out this very old video of R390
http://www.nissan.co.jp/LEMANS24/1998/JPN/video.html
I can't believe they STILL have the videos on this site for 7 years
because I visited this website on my old pentium laptop long long time ago

supra_luva209
That often happens to me. I also set my fastest ever lap on Laguna Seca and I didnt even realise I was doing it.
I agree with the other stuff, it can become extremly boring on the shorter tracks, then mini games like "Kill the cones" start to set in.

kill the cones best game ever :D whenever i was doin the high speed ring enduro, just swerve all over the place trying to hit the cones on the pitlane entrance & exit

Ok - here's my attempt to clarify.

The first photo posted with the Dunlop bridge is just after the Dunlop curves (cleverly named, eh?) which are those which form the first chicane on the course just after the start). This straight afterwards was replaced by sweeping curves around the 2001 mark (which is when I first went and I think that was the first year of the change). This straight should still therefore be in the old unchicaned version.

Where the Mercedes flipped is somewhere completely different. As you come down the final part of the Mulsanne (after the second chicane) you come over a crest (as your GT4 picture shows brilliantly!) which is where the Merc flipped in '99. This was subsequently flattened (not completely as you can see but it used to be much bigger than that) to stop it happening again. The high speed right hander that you refer to is the Mulsanne kink (again, very helpfully named) which is in the final run up to Mulsanne corner (the git of a corner at the end of the straight).

Hope this helps... :)

~1st Post!~

I'm a longtime Le Mans nut. I've made the pilgrimage to a race there in 2001 - it is the holy land (as someone said near the beginning of this thread, "the second holiest of holies!"). I consider it the holiest of racing grounds.

Anyhoo, the track in GT4 is the current track which can be run with or without the chicanes on the Mulsanne straight. Either way you're still getting the S-curve past the dunlop bridge (the horror! - I thought the way it was pre-2002 was classic, now it looks like magny-cours or any other crap track) and either way you are getting the reprofiled (flattened) kink. It's too bad honestly. I would love to have seen a 1990 track or a 1970 track.

There was a link to a post which said it only made sense with all the new LM cars to only have the new version of the track. Well... Actually... as far as I can tell, all of the actual Le Mans cars in the game started their racing careers (if not ended them) on a previous version of the track. Even cars as new as the Bentley started racing on older versions of the track (I saw the Bentley race when I was there in 2001).

I can't wait to play the game regardless. As much as a Le Mans nut as I am, it's for the spectacle of the real-life race. I have a feeling that Nurburgring will be my favorite GT4 track. It looks like a far more challenging/rewarding drive than Le Sarthe. I'm just thankful that we have come this far with racing games. Back when I was playing the likes of Pole Position, Out Run, or even Virtua Racing, I never imagined the phenom that is Gran Turismo.

I suppose that seeing as they could only measure the current track they decide to have that and do a version without the kinks.

I think there are four Montegi tracks. The small oval road course, the smaller extended course, the full extended course and the speedway.

RogsR34UK
I suppose that seeing as they could only measure the current track they decide to have that and do a version without the kinks.

That's a lazy excuse if that's the real reason. It's not as if there's now a stand there or something - if they wanted to measure it, I'm sure two French blokes with a long measuring tape could oblige :D They wouldn't even need to do that though - it's not as if there aren't any previous records of track length.

As for mr2obsessed's post (welcome by the way, fellow 2001 pilgrimer!) - 2001 was the first year for both the curves following the Dunlop bridge and the Bentley EXP8. I can't recall any changes since then though (incidentally, the Audi is the 2001 version as well) so I think these two will be racing on the right track but then again they may have moved a cone or changed the colour of a line in the last few years so could be wrong on that last bit. :D

And Mr2O - I agree - Le Mans holds much more prestige and feel for me than the Nordshliefe, though am am very much looking forward to driving it as it too is truly legendary!

maybe PD wants to be realistic as possible
so they want to use real data of the track (things that available for them to measure)
maybe that's why the straight after the dunlop bridge does not appear in GT4
I haven't ever driven at LeMans track in real life
but in GT4 I feel the bumps all over the place
so I think they use real data to model the track, like Nurburgring

now that we have a complete track list for single player mode, can anyone tell me what tracks are not usable in 2 player?

thanks
b

cudadude2
now that we have a complete track list for single player mode, can anyone tell me what tracks are not usable in 2 player?

thanks
b
All of them are usable as far as i know. Enyone else that can confirm or disconfirm this?

mr2obsessed
~1st Post!~

I've made the pilgrimage to a race there in 2001 - it is the holy land

:bowdown: youre lucky, I would die to see the le sarthe and nur in real life! I only get to see the ALMS at Laguna Seca every year!

Red Six
:bowdown: youre lucky, I would die to see the le sarthe and nur in real life! I only get to see the ALMS at Laguna Seca every year!

i have been lucky enough to go to both le mans and laguna seca, and i must say laguna is one of my favourite tracks, standing by the corkscrew is amazing, a realy good track and plenty of viewing points, le mans is good but too long a track to go and watch a race. imo. when i went to le mans in 90/91 we managed to get on the track at the end of the race, and the barriers were tiny so viewing was uncluttered, now there are fences everywhere such a shame. safety eh??

HUDSONJONES
i have been lucky enough to go to both le mans and laguna seca, and i must say laguna is one of my favourite tracks, standing by the corkscrew is amazing, a realy good track and plenty of viewing points, le mans is good but too long a track to go and watch a race. imo. when i went to le mans in 90/91 we managed to get on the track at the end of the race, and the barriers were tiny so viewing was uncluttered, now there are fences everywhere such a shame. safety eh??

yeah good view from behind the barriers or great view from under the car that lands on you :lol: safety is good I guess

Darts
All of them are usable as far as i know. Enyone else that can confirm or disconfirm this?

Not all tracks are available for two player.

New York
El Capitan
Cathedral Rocks 1 & 2
Grand Canyon
Chamonix

...are the ones I can think of immediately that I know are not available for two player.

BTW, let me be the first to say that I can't stand the new 2005 versions of Fuji. Looks like a big parking lot, the boundary of the track is now a thin white line. The elevation changes are almost all gone, and the track no longer flows like it did.

RogsR34UK
I think there are four Montegi tracks. The small oval road course, the smaller extended course, the full extended course and the speedway.

That is correct. Motegi Long is another course I can't stand... I B Spec every race that ends up there after running it a few times. Flat, too many long straightaways linked by too many turns that all look and feel almost alike.

Red Six
yeah good view from behind the barriers or great view from under the car that lands on you :lol: safety is good I guess
did the CLK-GTR actually kill anyone? just curious

I'll check the tracks on my 100% save on two player tonight.

The unchicaned Sarthe is seriously fast. I took an F1 car to the arcade and used settings for a maximum increase in power and a maximum reduction in weight. Set top speed to 370 Km/h and managed a 2:52 (I lost time on that lap as well!). I do have a (Japanese version) replay of that!!

M.Delaney
Bathurst, for sure! As well as some of the other great Oz tracks.
How about the old 8 mile version of Spa as well as the present day version?
Or the combined oval and road corse at Monza from the sixties?
Macau and a few of the different configurations of Long Beach would be nice too.

Might as well help plant the seed for GT5 early. :lol:

What about some of the great road courses in CART/IRL racing like Belle Island in Detroit or Long Beach....Even the infield road course at Indianapolis. Scratch that....The Indy Oval would be awsome on its own too.

Can anyone who already has a copy of GT4 please tell me if it's possible to race against more than just 5 cars. I'm hoping in particular that for some of the races, such as the 24 hour enduros, you will be able to race against many different cars in different classes like it is at Le Mans.

No the most you'll race against is 5 other cars.

That's a good thing because if there were more than 5 cars, the boys and girls at PD would still be making it.

JohnBM01
But back to the main question. What do you think having Le Mans does for the GT series?

I think it just adds a new wrinkle to a soon-to-be-classic game. Im just waiting for the day I can take my chosen supercar down the main strait ag Le Sarthe, howling at the moon all the way. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back