GT5 First Impressions

• Thread starter Danisfast
  • 472 comments
I don't know how you, nor anyone can call Forza 3 an arcade game? Play it how it's supposed to be played on hard with no assists and tell me it's arcade? PGR3, NFS HP, Burnout, these are arcade games. Forza 3 is not even close to an arcade. That wall thing is a glitch, there are many glitches in forza like this yes, but they only happen if u drive like a spastic and aren nothing to do with anything. If you are playing forza 3 and you crash into another car infront you are penalised, something will break like transmission, engine, steering etc and your out of the race. This is what i call a 'Simulation' of real racing. Everybody bouncing of f each other is not. That being said, GT5 has great sim as far as handling, and I love the engine, just the interaction between cars and the track is terrible.

Forza is fun game, but when it comes to accurate car, tracks, physics GT is the best thing happened to racing games.

Last edited:
My feelings about GT5 after a couple of days play is of huge dissappointment.

+ Handling feels great with a wheel
+ Premium cars look stunning
+Premium photomode is great

- Graphically it varies from stunning to mostly very average.
- Framerate/tearing is rife.
- Standard cars are ugly and not as fun to use without cockpit view.
- Some cars sound great, most sound like vacuum cleaners.
- Menus are some of the ugliest and most convoluted I've ever seen
- Install and loading times are ridiculous.
- Roof cam but no proper bonnet cam is a stupid design decision.
- All tracks and all cars should be playable from the outset in arcade mode.
- No global settings for assists etc
- Weather effects looks poor and only available one a few tracks.
- Missing amazing tracks - no Midified/Seattle etc, two of the best in the whole series
- Missing some amazing cars - F355 Challenge being my favourite ever car!
- Veyron and other great cars are standard
- Replays, cannot fast forward/ rewind.

Will wait for a patch before commenting on online multiplayer- if fixed it could be epic.

Lots of other issues have left me feeling extremely let down, especially after buying a PS3 specifically for this game. To me it feels dated, racing games have moved on alot since 2004 and Im afraid PD have been left behind intheir bubble where they concentrated on moedling headlamps to exacting standards :grumpy:

I really don't think this is true. I think somehow KY bit off more than he could chew, & at some point Sony just threw in the towel & decided they HAD to release the game. Hopefully, they continue to work on improving the game with updates.

Yep, this is the conclusion I've come to also. They really did need more time(painful as it is to admit) and they just ran out finally. As much as I'm enjoying the physics(fantastic) and most of the time jaw dropping visuals, it's hard to look away from this being an unfinished product. I don't believe Kaz would ever if it was up to him release it in the state it's in. I can't see the whole pd team looking at those saw edge flickering shadows among other things, and sleep well at night. Not after their 6 year journey. This was a forced out "core" gt5 game. I believe they will do whatever possible to refine their product through updates i.e. I'm not going to follow the knee-jerk reaction and simply throw my hands up. Unlike previous gt games that were permanently bound to their final build, this is a new generation of gt that will evolve from the release onward; technically still a work in progress.:indiff:

Last edited:
Forza is fun game, but when it comes to accurate car, tracks, physics GT is the best thing happened to racing games.

I agree, GT is better to drive. Although, personally I'm coming from an MS wheel to a dfgt so it's gonna feel better anyway.

It just loses out in a lot other areas imo such as: Tuning/upgrades, having proper car classes, car selection, sounds, online (will be sorted apparently), the ability to test drive a car before purchase and stuff I forgot to mention.

Photo mode might look wonderful, but in-race I don't feel like it's anything spectacular to look at. Not horrific, just not WOW.
The exception to that are the day/night transitions which do look 'effin lovely.

:banghead: I'm soooooooooooooooooo pissed. Feels like I'm playing GT3, and even that was better.👎
The "hire driver" should be named: "hire a moron", since only a moron would apply full gas in the middle of a turn and spin out while still at full gas and it does not let go of the gas pedal even after he hits the wall.👎
Level 5 driver, using a Subaru WRX at Tsukuba, it wins with not a flaw, but using a Civic R, it spins out at every turns and all the bull happens especialy on the last lap of each race, going from 1st or 2nd to last. 👎👎
And what's the bull about being able to Gift only 1 car a day to a friend?👎
And it sure looks like it's the ground that's turning and not the wheels.👎
I'm positive I will return this game and trade it for something I will enjoy, perhaps using my "other" console. As of today, for me, the letters GT mean: "Gigantic Trash". My compliments to those responsible for this FIASCO! I'll be looking forward to FM4 :drool:

I really dont understand why certain people think this game is so bad the only thing i can think of is that they havn't actually played it. Even before it came out people were saying how bad it is :crazy:. Anyway since iv got the game i cant keep off it , its alot better than i was expecting and im more than happy with the tuning options so far i did have a problem with the loading times but thats down to server problems so no big deal. The only problem i have is the standard cars although they dont look too bad but you cant change the wheels :banghead: i really cant get my head round this but tbh its still not a big problem. I give it a 9/10 without a doubt and probably 10/10 with a few updates to sort a few of the small bugs out and changeable wheels on standard cars :)

I agree, GT is better to drive. Although, personally I'm coming from an MS wheel to a dfgt so it's gonna feel better anyway.

It just loses out in a lot other areas imo such as: Tuning/upgrades, having proper car classes, car selection, sounds, online (will be sorted apparently), the ability to test drive a car before purchase and stuff I forgot to mention.

Photo mode might look wonderful, but in-race I don't feel like it's anything spectacular to look at. Not horrific, just not WOW.
The exception to that are the day/night transitions which do look 'effin lovely.

GT5 is not perfect but if I have to choose one game I will not think twice.

If anyone wants Forza should play that. I don't want GT to be a Forza clone :nervous:

- AI driving is like an ant army again all following a strict line.
- If you get in their way they slam the brakes and fall way behind.

From the 1UP review:

For example, the computer-controlled racers' A.I. has always been a source of contention in the GT series, and early in the game, it doesn't appear to have been addressed -- the other cars in the field are more obstacles than opponents. But progress into the high teens and twenties in driver level, and suddenly the A.I. drivers seem more organic, aggressive, and unpredictable.

I've seen several video replays here over the last few days that seem to verify this.

Evening, I have to say that after playing for almost two days straight I'm loving it ! But then I was always going to as I have enjoyed every GT game.

That said I do have a couple of questions, can you only use the face tracking facility in the beginner level within Arcade Mode ? I have it all set up ok and it works fine when I select beginner level however if I select the same car, course but have selected a harder level it doesn't work ? Also does anyone know if you can use face tracking in GT Mode at any point ? ( I know the manual states it will work in races with no pit stop but as above I'm not sure )

Also with regards to replays, can you no longer rewind / fastforward the footage ? Reason for asking is that I have spent ages within the menus / replay theatre to try to do this as I find it strange that they have spent so much time creating the photo facility however the only way you can capture that precise moment you want too is to just simply try to press the start button and hope it pauses the replay at the moment you want ? Is it just me or does that seem slightly silly ?

One last question, I take it you are not able to use cars transferred from the PSP within GT mode ? Again slightly confused if this is the case.

Thanks. :)

Initial thought after playing for a hour or two was there is so much to do, I don't know where to start. The physics are great especially with a racing wheel, stunning appearance and detail, track creator and photo mode are just as fun as racing, and the menus are cool. The community is a great way to share your data. I especially enjoy the photo mode and can do that for hours as it is very well done. I hate the standard cars obviously and yes as stated before many cars are either missing or are standard so nobody will use them. Have not raced online yet with friends as we have just all been absorbed in single player. For people to stress about all of the missing features, personally I feel the features in the game and how it ruins greatly outweigh the missing components.

Well contrary to all the fanboys who will ride a sinking ship to the grave. I am glad that there are a great many people who are disappointed with this game. It really doesn't have much more than GT4 and comparing it to Forza the only thing thats better is the night racing, rally racing, graphics and weather. I mean with all the DLC that Forza has had it has just as many cars and a better variety of race cars with less of the econo box types. It has better customization and tuning options such as varying tire sizes and widths, the ability to upgrade brakes ( this is called the real race simulator but there are no break upgrades are you kidding me), multiple areo kits that funtion, a livery editor, the ability to do engine and drive train swaps. How did the bugatti veryon not make a premium car but an old military jeep did? Many of the tracks of gt4 were left out ie Hong Kong, apricot hill etc. Although the driving physics are good in this game the clutch is silly. I mean in Forza if i miss a shift the gears scratch just as they would in a real car. If I miss a shift in gt5 it stays in neutral. The standard cars are an epic fail. How is it that every car in FM3 can be customized to the max and they have a dash view but only 200 or so are able to have that here. I would have rather they just make the game with all premium cars and focus on tuning options and other things in the game rather than having 30 skylines with 5 of them being premiums. How is it that the standard cars are many of the cars that made it from GT4 were they had tires that could be changed and a greater variety of tire options. I can go on and on but I guess the only question that I have is what was PD doing for the last 5 years? I can only imagine what jokes the developers at turn10 are speaking about this game

Couldn't agree more. ^^^

Also, what is with some "premium" vehicles having close to exact "standard" models available, but without the same features. Ex. "standard" Evo IV rally, Evo V, or Evo VI RS TME, but then there are "premium" Evo IV and Evo VI TME. Why are they different when they are all essentially the same chassis and interior. Only interior difference in real life is the color of the seats and gauges. I honestly could care less about premium or standard vehicles, but it just shows PD's lack of attention to detail.

First Impression!

The Good
+ Graphics
+ Realism
+ Gameplay
+ The Menu's
+ Addictive
+ Number of Cars
+ Duration
+ Sounds
+ GT-Auto

Things that are good but have room for improvement

* AI
* Standard cars
* Even more A-spec Events
* Damage
* Collision physics
* Replays (no camera close-ups, then you can actual see the race instead of only your car)

The Ugly

- Not to many new/returning tracks. Should have to be more.
- Weather not on all Circuits
- Glitches: tearing, framedrops, ...
- No cockpitview and/or hoodview for ALL cars. still the stupid Roof
- AI catch-up?
- loading times

Last edited:
GT5 is not perfect but if I have to choose one game I will not think twice.

If anyone wants Forza should play that. I don't want GT to be a Forza clone :nervous:

Of course, but you don't have to clone something to at least match or exceed things that work.
And why does it have to be a choice between one or the other?

I'm looking for the proper place at the playstation website to report a defective product with fraudulent advertising right now, but their site isn't working very well. I don't know if it's the game being broken, or if the lack of advertised features bothers me more. Either way, I see this as a clear case of bait-and-switch sales.

I don't expect they'll do anything to keep me as a customer (I spend $5-10k/yr on video games in general) or to encourage me to stop recommending everything else over their products, but if they're willing to surprise me, it would certainly change my outlook. $60 in PSN credit would probably shut me up.

Last edited:
new member long time reader
a bit a bout myself:

I have been a Gran Turismo/Polyphony fan for a long time also i've completed 98%+ in all, that being Gran Turismo 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 Prologue & Tourist Trophy TT (bike) all except GT2 i purchased on the release date.

So here's my first impression after just about 20% completed so far:

Disappointed.

Why?

well lets start with the giant amount of "loading" time , i clocked once from "my garage" back to "main menu/home" a crazy 6 minutes! (i know it was something to do with the game trying to connect with the online servers BUT again , why? im not playing online , Polyphony should have known that right away) and YES i did the 8GB installation.

Main Menu:
to be honest what was wrong with the previous menus i mean , GT2 & GT3 had great simple AND QUICK menu's, i'd say GT4 had the best of all being simple yet complex tho quick to get thru.

The graphics:
well i started with a Honda CRX Si used (standard) car , tho i have a 6month old Samsung 55" LCD with a really good HDMI cable the graphics in the standard cars are "rubbish" , wo wo wo ... i know that sounds harsh , but i'm not comparing the graphics against anything else i'm quoting "rubbish" taking into consideration it took 6 years to make it , i was expecting GT5 Prologue quality in every single car PERIOD.
This might sound crazy but some of the standard cars in GT5 look worse compared to GT4 (the same car) and i'm talking about graphics from a console from about a DECADE ago.
great graphics but not for something with +/- 6 years in the making.

Handling
well from what i've experienced so far in the Gran Turismo series is that we as players are rewarded for NOT using driving aids (TC/ASC etc etc's) initially with my Honda CRX i was really impressed how the physics are so good UNTIL i tried one of my "Stealth" cars that being a McLaren F1 Stealth ... it is almost impossible to drive that car without some sort of driving aid , the wheel spin is just ridiculous ," i know " the real McLaren F1 is a really tricky car to drive based on many documentaries about it but in the game, the smallest steering input will make the car go completely "berserk" that being said i had downforce to the maximum setting and still it was a big handful. If that is a sign of things to come there will be no other choice than to either change steering wheel settings to amateur which i would hate myself for doing or just turn on every possible aid which KILLS the fun out of a simulator game.
Still early and i don't have many cars yet , so as of right now i'm NOT set as the handling sucks , time will tell , tho i wish they didn't try so hard changing things that were good in the past , myself GT3 & GT4 had great physics with a good setup ... why change?!.

Sound
Gran Turismo was never a true to life sounding game , in the past we all played with Corvettes sounding like a i-6 motor .. no surprises , but i must remember 6 years in the making WHY isn't the sound better? looks are great but sound and looks are even better.

Standard cars
this is where it pisses me off
ok we have +/- 1031 cars .. well 800 of them you can't even change the rims .. WHY? everybody changes the rims , it is just in the culture of Gran Turismo , race modifications , tho it it was a lost feature for a few years .. now it is back , WHY not for all cars , it seems like the standard cars are somewhat of a carry over from GT4 , how come we could mod them in the PS2 and we CAN'T on the PS3 , it doesn't make any sense !!! what was Polyphony thinking???!!!: " HEY LET'S GO AHEAD AND MAKE MOST OF CARS IN THIS GAME STANDARD, THO ABSOLUTELY NO VISUAL MODIFICATION , NO ONE WILL CARE ..." wtf? 6 years in the making and we can't even change a f-ing rim?! i don't want 100 civic's or 50 miata's 30 skyline's or 15 S2000's ... i would much rather have 500 cars all true to Gran Turismo's previous standards.

Tracks
again how can GT5 have fewer tracks than GT4? WHY?
where is:
Midfield Raceway
Apricot Hill Raceway
El Capitan
Seattle Circuit
Opera Paris
Citta di Aria
Hong Kong
Seoul Central

i could go on , but you guys get the point.
denying tracks that once made this series a pleasure to play is denying the game itself to succeed among those who actually praise the series.

Tho many could see all this as a "HATER" review/first impression , but again again and again i will raise the point:

6 years in the making , 6 years collecting data , collecting input from the consumers/players i would expect all tracks to be there (yes i knew they pronounced the track and car list not too long ago so there are no surprises, yet it cannot be justified.)

maybe GT5 is a game that you have to suffer thru a bit to get into it , from a guy that got a PS3 pretty much just because of GT5 , Polyphony should be alarmed that yesterday on my day off , i spent the day playing F1 2010.

That is scary!

Great community, folks -- sorry for the long read , tho i love the series and i felt like i had to do it.

Let's hope the many patches to come will give some justice to those who waited for so long.

Cheers

Daniel

Oh yeah, how could I forget the worst part...the A.I. Absolutely horrible (especially in the Top Gear overtaking challenge with the Lotus)

I got the perfect solution for the whiners.

Buy a real car and go to a real track.

The benefits are numerous:

1. Much less stress. Don't have to deal with stuff like graphics issue, sound problems, etc.

2. No more flickering shadows, frame rate issues, etc. Shadows and framerates are absolute perfection in the real world.

3. Lighting is second to none in the real world.

4. All cars are premium and upgradeable. You even get to use real money to buy the stuff. How awesome is that!

5. Engine sounds are 100% accurate, including the sound of a blown engine where you then get to spend real money to replace said engine.

6. Crashes. Where do I begin. The feeling and accuracy of crashes are unprecedented. You can just see and feel every little detail of the crash and the deformation of the crashes are unlike anything you can experience.

7. Drifting rocks. You get to spend real money constNtly buying new tires. Oh, and did I mention the smell of burning rubber? Heavenly.

Well guys, these are just some of the things that I think you will much rather prefer. It's obviously the only thing that could ever possibly satisfy you Nd even this might not be enough.

First impressions:

Introduction:
At first i was very worried about GT5. I had pre-ordered the Collectors Edition and it arrived last Wednesday at my place. After reading people complaining about the game, the graphics and the ‘standard’ cars I got very disappointed, felt I was let down by the GT-series and ALMOST returned my Collectors Edition………..and I’m glad I didn’t……

I’ve had about 10hours of gameplay in the game now, and can’t say how glad I am with the game. I was very worried about the standard cars because everybody’s complaining….but really, after playing the game myself, watching the standards en playing with them…..i really don’t know what the fuss is all about.

‘Standards’
The standards look very good to me. I’ve seen some pics where some cars were extremely ugly, but I believe that EITHER was photoshoped, or those pics were from an other game.
Of course, the premiums look very nice, but the standards aren’t really that bad as many people suggest!
In fact, I’m really glad the standards are in the game. While actually racing, they look neat and clean. I also like how they put the standars in the game…….as second hand cars….it gives them that ‘special’ thing the premium’s don’t have…
By the way….i like the GT-series because you can drive normal production cars you see in streets, that families have, that you and I can buy……THAT is why I’m glad PD put the standards in….and as they are now, there is really nothing wrong with them. Just a slight less graphic ‘wow’-feeling then the Premium’s, but really…they still look fabulous!

'Old tracks'
An other point of complaining was that some tracks were ‘fugly’ while others (new tracks) were not. This is the same as for standard cars. ‘Old’ tracks are nice looking too…I really can’t see the difference between a new and old track while racing (graphically wise, that is).

Sound
The car sounds sound good to me, I don’t see why people are complaining. I really don’t need the exaggerated and overdistorded sound like in shift…..PRODUCTION CARS DON’T SOUND LIKE THAT…..it doés give an extra ‘boost’ to the userexperience of the game, but again….PRODUCTION CARS DON’T SOUND LIKE THAT

Racing
One word…..PERFECT….Racing, physics, the way cars handle etc are all TOP NOTCH!!!

I’m very happy with the online mode. After Tekken 6 coming out last year, I got traumatized regarding online on the PS3…..but I have to say PD did a great job implementing this feature, which nowadays, is a must.
I haven’t had any lag (my connection is a wired and moderately to fast cable).
The whole online lobby is done very well!

The good:
+ handling, physics, feel (people just don’t realize how well this has been done in GT5)
+ nascar & karts are awesome
+ sense of speed
+ graphics (really, they really look awesome!)
+ lotsa cars….really…..just awesome
+ tracks
+ the good old jazzy menu music!
+ online is done good
+ high and steady frames p/sec

The bad:
- shadow edges & ‘car through smoke’-edges...althought really not such an issue because if you see it while racing...then obviously you're doing something wrong (for the record: the rest of the graphics is awesome!)
- damage too hard too get
- menu could’ve been worked out a bit more efficient
- No brakes in tuning-shop?

And the ugly:
- screen tearing
- the fact you CANNOT CHANGE WHEELS of the standards…pretty sad
- turning off the race BGM also turns off the music when winning a race (I know this can be worked out by an empty-.mp3 file and it’s also a small thing that can be easily patched, but still…..

SCORE: 9.1/10

Now *!@#$ ya’ll…..i’ma gone improving mah laptimes in my Mitsubishi GT3000 and droling over the whole game, and then kick some rubber online!!!! :dopey:

There's fun to be had in GT5, but it's so incomplete. I'll be remembering this game when I make future hardware/software purchases. Since this is such a game-changer for me, I was nice enough to let Sony's customer service help me make up my mind. It seems a fair thing to do. I doubt they'll even attempt to keep me as a customer, but I'm totally open to surprise. Money, fabulous prizes or a really good apology would do wonders for my mood.

How is Sony going to make up for selling me a defective game without all its advertised features?

I'm quite upset, but I've decided to provide a chance for customer service to really surprise me. I recently purchased Gran Turismo 5, and noticed that the title is broken to an unprofessional extent. It freezes, forgets settings, doesn't use US measurements, has some broken menus and many of the cars/tracks are unfinished imports from PS2 titles. On top of that some of the advertised features (PS Eye head tracking, for example) that are listed on your Gran Turismo US website appear missing.

Right now I'm thinking a lot about all of my past and future purchases from Sony. I'm putting the ball in your court now, and I'm hoping your response helps to change my mind about Sony's treatment of its customers.

I remember back before 'big video gaming' seeing a one-off, type-written response by a company called Imagic, to some questions my father had about one of their games. I still have this letter. *That* is customer support. Better believe their games worked pretty flawlessly too.

Last edited:

Nice but Ill up you one.

To the whiners complaining about waiting 6 years why didn't you go get a degree in 3D modeling (3 years) get a couple of years experience in game design, go to PD and spend the final year showing them how to make their own game visually better.

Yeah...sounds about as ridiculous as some of the complaints on here...

The benefits are numerous:

1. Much less stress. Don't have to deal with stuff like graphics issue, sound problems, etc.

2. No more flickering shadows, frame rate issues, etc. Shadows and framerates are absolute perfection in the real world.

3. Lighting is second to none in the real world.

4. All cars are premium and upgradeable. You even get to use real money to buy the stuff. How awesome is that!

5. Engine sounds are 100% accurate, including the sound of a blown engine where you then get to spend real money to replace said engine.

6. Crashes. Where do I begin. The feeling and accuracy of crashes are unprecedented. You can just see and feel every little detail of the crash and the deformation of the crashes are unlike anything you can experience.

7. Drifting rocks. You get to spend real money constNtly buying new tires. Oh, and did I mention the smell of burning rubber? Heavenly.

Well guys, these are just some of the things that I think you will much rather prefer. It's obviously the only thing that could ever possibly satisfy you Nd even this might not be enough.

This goes to cobra I do own two high performance cars ones a 400+ whp talon tsi and I also own a twin turbo audi S4 both of which i race on a road course in the pdx at the local track. You can go to Photobucket and look up hahnsuper16g to see my album that features my cars. We are not whinning just posting the negatives and there are many when we were promised that all the delay time was to make the game the best possible game etc. Yet at release date we have a game that is clearly incomplete and poorly done. I mean for anyone that would argue this take a look at your track map as you are driving and you will notice a jaggy shadow surrounding the map. This is not additional mapping of the grass around the field but rather jaggies from the incomplete programming of the track map. All the hype surrounding this game had us all sold that it would be the best of the series and it's not. It should at least be better than gt4 and it's not. So while you constantly want to post that people are whining remember that if you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything. To the guy who wants to say get a 3d modeling degree etc. I simply say if I am spending my money to support your company and you give me a subpar product that's no where near as good as your last product after you promised differently as a consumer I have the right to complain. If you just like throwing money away like that without complaining send it to me I have good use for it.

Still too early to have a 100% verdict on this game, but I have owned all GT's since 1 on launch day & GT5 is the ONLY reason I own a PS3. The only other game I own is GT5: Prologue.

Anyhoo...

Pro's:
+Physics overhauled, cars feel very realistic
+Framerate never has a hiccup
+Music...i have always loved the chill menu music
+Sound in general, engines sound great, screeching has variety for a change overall damned good!

Con's:
-horribly inconsistent graphics. The shadow effects are inexcusable and the cardboard trees look like GT2. Textures on the tracks surfaces are often PS2-esque also. I am still baffled as to what they were thinking with decreasing the shadow quality to essential "complete total crap".
-Online play too limiting. having to select each car allowed is stupid. How hard would it be to add a proper filter system for weights, drivetrain types and power levels? I find in almost every race I've done onilne, its just retards slamming into you every chance they get
-Not really a con..yet.but based on how far I've got in the game already, it seems like there is about 1/4-1/5th as many events to beat in single player. Hopefully they release new stuff in future patches I guess we will have to see.

As some UK magazines review says, it seems almost like Sony held a gun to Yamuchi's head and said "goddammit....we are releasing what you got even if you aren't done". That guy needs to take time management courses and learn to stick to deadlines b/c he sure missed this one if this is supposed to be the "finished product"...which we all know it isn't.

Nice but Ill up you one.

To the whiners complaining about waiting 6 years why didn't you go get a degree in 3D modeling (3 years) get a couple of years experience in game design, go to PD and spend the final year showing them how to make their own game visually better.

Yeah...sounds about as ridiculous as some of the complaints on here...

Not sure how you can get so upset about somebody criticising obvious flaws in what could be a great game, still thanks forthe advice, for now I'll just wait and see if the patches rumour has it are coming fix some of the glaring issues.

ps not quite sure why I would need to have a degree to point to the jaggies and say 'Maybe you would like to fix this'

Another day of bitching.

Go figure.

And in breaking news, the sun came up. 8^)

I like the Kaz/PD announcement that GT5 is evergreen, and will be constantly evolving/beng added to. I hope among this growth will be the addition of more tracks, more Premium cars, and some mods to things like the video reply (FF/REW added, Youtube UL ability added, etc).

But only time will tell if it happens.

Oh yeah, how could I forget the worst part...the A.I. Absolutely horrible (especially in the Top Gear overtaking challenge with the Lotus)

The 1UP review has an thought provoking comment:

There are a number of Gran Turismo 5's more anticipated features that curiously don't really reveal themselves until you've put a rather significant amount of time into the game. For example, the computer-controlled racers' A.I. has always been a source of contention in the GT series, and early in the game, it doesn't appear to have been addressed -- the other cars in the field are more obstacles than opponents. But progress into the high teens and twenties in driver level, and suddenly the A.I. drivers seem more organic, aggressive, and unpredictable.

And, interestingly enough:

Similarly, the much-talked-about new damage modeling in Gran Turismo doesn't fully come into play until later as well.

Last edited:
Out of interest is their still a general consensus that the PS3 is far more powerful than the 360 or has GT5 disproved that?

Actually, a few of the very best console games graphically are on the PS3.

But really, there is not a big difference between the two.

Takes more work to get the best out of the PS3 which is why many multi platform games often a a slight edge on the 360.

But the best ones are often Sony first party and Sony exclusive games.

Actually, a few of the very best console games graphically are on the PS3.

But really, there is not a big difference between the two.

Takes more work to get the best out of the PS3 which is why many multi platform games often a a slight edge on the 360.

But the best ones are often Sony first party and Sony exclusive games.

Not what we were told at first, methinks this could be the last we see of Sony in the console market, its been a bit of a disaster financially for them - the PS3 is to Sony what the Dreamcast was to SEGA - only Sony's size keeping it going

Could be down to Nintendo & MS for the next gen

Anyhow ...I digress

Back