GT5 First Impressions

• Thread starter Danisfast
  • 472 comments
This goes to cobra I do own two high performance cars ones a 400+ whp talon tsi and I also own a twin turbo audi S4 both of which i race on a road course in the pdx at the local track. You can go to Photobucket and look up hahnsuper16g to see my album that features my cars. We are not whinning just posting the negatives and there are many when we were promised that all the delay time was to make the game the best possible game etc. Yet at release date we have a game that is clearly incomplete and poorly done. I mean for anyone that would argue this take a look at your track map as you are driving and you will notice a jaggy shadow surrounding the map. This is not additional mapping of the grass around the field but rather jaggies from the incomplete programming of the track map. All the hype surrounding this game had us all sold that it would be the best of the series and it's not. It should at least be better than gt4 and it's not. So while you constantly want to post that people are whining remember that if you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything. To the guy who wants to say get a 3d modeling degree etc. I simply say if I am spending my money to support your company and you give me a subpar product that's no where near as good as your last product after you promised differently as a consumer I have the right to complain. If you just like throwing money away like that without complaining send it to me I have good use for it.

*Loud, standing applause*

Very well said, my friend. Thank you for that. I felt some of the stress of the frustration I've had building up since Wednesday on account of the epic disappointment of expectations regarding this game -- particularly considering all the promises and assurances that all the ridiculously unprofessional release-date delays were necessary to bring us "the best driving sim possible -- actually being physically alleviated as I read your post.
It's one thing to be a fanboy; it's another to unquestioningly defend the game and it's developers in the face of perfectly rational, perfectly justifiable criticisms levied by people who are just as much loyal, paying customers and fans of the GT series as anyone.

The game has issues. Glaring, obvious, inexcusable and unprofessional issues. Pointing out those issues and demanding that they be addressed lest the GT series should lose some customers and supporters, does not make on a "hater" or "whiner" or a Forza fanboy.
We love the series, most still love the game, and appreciate the dedication and effort of Kaz and PD.
But that doesn't mean we're just gonna pretend that the games numerous obvious flaws aren't really there.

Hello GT5 followers !

This is my understanding of the game now 18 hours in and i hope you guys don't hate me for my less than equal amount of bad points over good points ,mabe in time with more patches and upgrades GT5 will be all that it should have been.

Good points
-----------

Music - the music is amazing just like the psp version only lots more to choose from.

Game Play - gameplay is just like forza ,i play forza with no assists and gt5p and gt5 to me are the same the way the car handles on the road is perfect.

Car list - yes the car list is great and i want them all ! Standard cars do not bother me at all in graphics terms and i think all the cars have great detail and are showcase material.

Online Lobby - still getting used to the layout but i love the live feeling when you are waiting to join a new race and how you can go practice before the countdown.

Sorry but the rest is bad ,im trying to think of more good stuff !"£$%"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bad Points
----------

Track line up is dull ,not enough variety of track design and quite a few tracks (circuit tracks) look the same and have the same colour scheme bright green grass - dark green trees - gray road without multi texture.

Weather Rain/Snow/Night - i don't like the weather changing tracks ,snow,rain and day/night racing simply don't work for me ,ALL tracks should have had the option for full customisation and should have been done properly.

The rain slows down the frame rate and causes quite a bit of tearing when racing more than three cars also noted is floating cars when racing in the rain,the snow environmental sounds are bad and the handling is not realistic but the snow does look good to a point but again the cockpit view for both rain and snow look bad ,big blobs moving down the side windows look bad and the window wipers do not move realistically and the snow/rain hitting the window doesn't look right.

Menu System - took me ages to find my way through it, can be very slow with high traffic i find the menu's non modern and over the top instead of going for a more minimal look.

AI - emm just plain terrible ,the ai have hit into me from behind and then dragged me to the side of the road where i had to restart the race as i could not move ,you hit the AI and they hardly budge but you can go flying ,you push the AI into the grass and they do not slow down at all , immune to grass and dirt.

Sound FX - The cars engines sound ok to me ,but there's not enough ambient road noise ,the sound when you hit a barrier/other car is just wrong and very distracting ,sounds like beating on a plastic container or something ,they need to fix this asap ,there are not enough variety of car impact sounds at all.

Graphics - Cars look good and some tracks look stunning but there is quite a lot of time where the graphics don't really stand out ,shadows are pretty bad all the time but lighting is amazing to say the least specially incar.The game itself can look dull at times ,empty looking tracks and some really bad looking textures like track side tirewalls and some track side logos looking quite pixelated ,kinda strange.

Damage system - Where is it ? why was this an unlocking option ,quite bizzare to say the least and i will come to forza in regards to damage and why it was so good and also needed ,in forza the damage system is not as extreme as some give it credit or attack for - when racing online damage can simply mean no bumpy cars from those who simply can't play the game correctly but most important is that racing in real time with damage means when there is a collision of some sort the debris would lay on the track and would stay until the end of the race ,as cars move lap for lap and over the debris those fragments become smaller and cause the tires to loose grip and can send you off the track.The debris move around the track in real time and really add something special to forza and gt5 simply should have this ,i don't want crazy cmr05 style damage with doors hanging off ,just the basics.

Online Features - So far PD and Sony taken down leader boards and online ghosts untill they get more servers up (WHAT DID THEY EXPECT ?) i am sure they knew from preorder charts this was a big buy ps3 title ,it slowed down the menu system so bad it took me over four minutes to get out of the dealership and back to the front page ,i hope this doesn't happen again after they have made their money out of the game with reducing server numbers like sega did with outrun arcade.

Internal Options - I have noticed every time i play the game i need to go into car settings and change my assists to off for everything ,it doesn't remember that i drive with ALL assists off at all times ,gt5p did not have a problem remembering my preferences.Psp and gt5p saves do not transfer over ,i have the usa pspgt and the uk gt5p ,all that time saving up and buying cars for nothing.

Other Features - Camera head tracking doesn't work at all with the ps3 eye cam and where are the features to use six axis to steer ?????????? i would have loved that.

Online Play - So far i have had two online races ,one of them i couldn't quite out off and had to reboot the ps3 ,the other was really laggy and quite frankly i think when you play online the graphics quality is degraded as it simply didn't look very good in replay mode nor in driving mode when looking at some textures they were quite bad looking but i was sure they were not bad when playing single player.

Overall - I bought gt5p for the full retail price over a year ago ,it took ages for an update and then the long wait for gt5 ,i have enjoyed gt5p more than gt5 in quite a few ways and i think it is a more refined game and that's just silly as it's a demo but it does feel more together to me ,the online replays playing when you leave the title screen ,online ghosts and solid looking tracks and cars.

Gt5 feels just like gt5p but with some things taken out completely and some new features like that photo mode that must have taken ages to do but quite pointless ,i would rather have seen more tracks or more beta testing than showcasing graphics art of cars.In the end it has taken them ages to bring the game out and it's very beta feeling and at the same time it could have been a large premium online content download for say £20 for gt5p and it's really just a few new things bolted on to make up the years spent doing god knows what.
GT5 smells lazy to me and a bit of a money spinner ,when you think patches and upgrades that's nice but they had ages and there is no excuse for a half finished game.

ps ,sorry for the bad grammer.

Last edited:
I know everyone is complaining about the shadows and such but I'd like to complain a little about the headlights. I remember reading before the launch of GT4 in an issue of Motor Trend that PD was spending a bunch of time putting cars into dark rooms with some kind of proprietary equipment to measure light output. That was like 6 years ago... where are these super detailed and accurate beam patterns? The real time lighting engine is clearly up to par so I guess I don't understand why, after 6 years, we still haven't seen accurate headlights.

I know it's a nitpick and it has no material effect on the awesomeness of the game, I love it. But it's a little annoying driving a brand new CRZ at night and it just throws some weird blueish blob out in front of the car, when I know that it's actually a sharp cut off beam pattern (not to mention it doesn't have hot spots in the center.. learn how projectors work PD).

I'll say this in just a few words.

The game is great.So no complaints from me 👍

Batten down the hatches my friend.

The hate arrows are coming for you.

Hey guys, I do not think the game is 100% perfect.

But to say GT5P is superior to GT5 is delusional.

Really, you people would take the handling in GT5P over GT5? Are you kidding.

Your hate has clouded your judgement.

Take a break this weekend. Get outside and cool off. It will be good for you. :)

Ok, wanted to give a "working player" view of this game. By that I mean someone who has a 40+ hour a week job and wants to play a racing game.

This is not that game. You cannot play this game as a casual user. For those users who have a job, family, and other things to do this is not your game. For the record, I am not looking for a quick "arcade" type game. In fact I am a hard core sim fan, playing everything from GTR series to the DCS flight sims (check them out, nothing else like it). I like the sim factor in the program, but GT5 is more of a 2nd job than it is a sim.

In the past GT games, you earned money and you bought what you wanted. Hey that's like real life. If I make 200k, I can buy that Porsche turbo. But this bit about experience makes this game a "job" instead of a fun diversion. Why do I have to drive a crappy civic for hours on end to be able to buy something useful? Why do I have to take a cappuccino onto the Nuremberg ring? I have the money but I can't buy squat since I don't have experience.

You know, they should have called it GT5, The Sims. It's your second life and you will be working forever at a boring, snoresville racing until something exciting happens. But unlike the sims, when you make money you cant buy anything until "they" determine you are worthy.

Oh and don't get me started about locking the top gear track and making it unlocked by an unbeatable boring race in a Volkswagen in molasses. And I know you can get gold, but I don't have 4+ hours to try to get it done. I have things tom do and want to play for an hour and have fun.

Just my 2 cents and I know I am not "totally hard core" but some people have a life outside that takes us away from our video games more than we want.

Nice but Ill up you one.

To the whiners complaining about waiting 6 years why didn't you go get a degree in 3D modeling (3 years) get a couple of years experience in game design, go to PD and spend the final year showing them how to make their own game visually better.

Yeah...sounds about as ridiculous as some of the complaints on here...

I had to register just so that i can reply to your post. I am in the game industry I have a degree form the Illinois Institute of Art with a ba in Game Art and Design.

To model a car of this poly count and complexity each car would take about 2-3 weeks MAYBE a month but thats really stretching it if your working 40hrs a week. Interior and exterior for 1 car, for a single modeler. They had 6 years, most of the cars are simple ports over so they didnt do any work. They have a huge budget and could employ huge amounts of modelers.

PD has no excuse for that many standard cars, i have no idea what they were donig for 6 years cause it certainty wasn't modeling cars

i had to register just so that i can reply to your post. I am in the game industry i have a degree form the illinois institute of art with a ba in game art and design.

To model a car of this poly count and complexity each car would take about 2-3 weeks maybe a month but thats really stretching it if your working 40hrs a week. Interior and exterior for 1 car, for a single modeler. They had 6 years, most of the cars are simple ports over so they didnt do any work. They have a huge budget and could employ huge amounts of modelers.

Pd has no excuse for that many standard cars, i have no idea what they were donig for 6 years cause it certainty wasn't modeling cars

+1

There is a problem with the steering on my Mercedes mclaren SLR

I use GT steering wheel with no driving aids just 1 abs +
racing : supersoft tires (force feed back maxed 10)

The biggest problem is when I'm cornering at low speeds its already understeering

The only time it oversteers is if I accelerate turn in from within 0-40 kmh

Other than that all low/mid cornering gets a huge understeer Never goes correctly even if I try slowing down and trying to remove the understeer waiting for an oversteers but never came ( it is basically like I have ASM all the time........ It won't let me unleash the savagery )

this doesn't feel or look right it rarely oversteers and mostly understeer when I try to neutralize the understeer then trying for a bit of oversteer at the exit it never came nor did it for all IT'S LIKE I HAVE ASM all the time which I do not.. ever

Another thing is the brakes I was expecting great brakes but I think it's not that great compared to the real mclaren SLR braking capability

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azU1q-fkdns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBTubKLWOJk

Watch both to see what I mean by McLaren SLR braking capability xD

First Impressions:

Standard cars are below Polyphony Digital's "standard". They just do not seem to fit. As much as I try to make the low res standard cars look good in photo mode, it just is not happening. I always race with the bumper view when driving standard cars

There are Standard and Premium tracks? Come on! the new Cape Ring (CR) is what I would call a Premium track, while Trial Mountain (TM) is a Standard track just with high res from GT4 modeling. Examples: The Red and White concrete corners on TM are flat, where the same type corners on CR are raised geometry. TM textures are flat. Trees on TM are parallax. :nervous: I never read about PD separating the quality of tracks.

Photo Mode is a blast to use.

Online is much improved after November 26 update.

Delivery of cars seems misplaced and useless. Where is the animated truck that opens up and reveals your awesome new car? Oh, they wanted to avoid the delivery of a standard piece of auto.

Licenses are fun and I am very glad to see them again.

Head Tracking is hit or miss. Some cars don't work with head tracking? Odd.

Wish I had a 3D TV and 3D glasses.

Using a G27 Logitech steering wheel. Everything is compatible. Even the rev meter lights up accurately. Clutch and paddle shifters work great and are also supported by GT5. No need for the triangle press.

PSP garage upload works okay. Wish we could import all the cars and be done with it. Only 50 cars at a time? Who had that idea? Does this save memory somewhere? No idea why only 50 at a time. Anyone got an answer?

Apex manual, key chain, and GTR V-SPEC model in collectors edition is worth the extra 50 (Fans only). I do wish the Apex manual were 8 1/2 x 11 and a hardcover.

GT TV not heavily populated yet, but the free content (next to the Pay-per-View content) is nice. Looking forward to some exclusive content. I would like to keep what I purchase though. I'd pay an extra dollar or two to be allowed unlimited access to the GT TV content and not have it expire after one year (Fans Only). I'd watch this stuff over and over again.

Frame Rate is very nice. The sense of acceleration is clear and when head tracking does work the whole experience is a rush.

Rain on wind screens is okay, but nothing to be too awed by. The rain graphic is very low res and physics act less like rain and more like ball bearings.

NASCAR, while a nice touch, is not given much more than a nod in GT5. Which is okay, but don't expect much from Jeff. Why did they need to make a 3D model? Save some money? Jeff camera shy. Agent not signing off on the whole commitment to GT5? 3D Jeff Gordon is laughable. I'd rather have just listened to Jeff's voice than watch the silly 3D polygon version of him try to lip sync to his own English and fail. What was this? Dubbed?

While GT5 is a great package, too many unpolished surfaces rear their head at too early a stage. This is an initial impression, so I am leaning towards a 9 out of 10 right now.

I had to register just so that i can reply to your post. I am in the game industry I have a degree form the Illinois Institute of Art with a ba in Game Art and Design.

To model a car of this poly count and complexity each car would take about 2-3 weeks MAYBE a month but thats really stretching it if your working 40hrs a week. Interior and exterior for 1 car, for a single modeler. They had 6 years, most of the cars are simple ports over so they didnt do any work. They have a huge budget and could employ huge amounts of modelers.

PD has no excuse for that many standard cars, i have no idea what they were donig for 6 years cause it certainty wasn't modeling cars

I totally agree.

You would think that nowadays there is so much 3d design software in use that it would just be a case of getting the car companies to hand over the data. Whats the point of modelling a car from scratch if there is a fair bit of 3d info already out there.

There are numerous 3d file translators , dont tell me something couldnt have been done.

I do a fair bit of 3d work myself so i know whats involved, 6 years should have been plenty of time for 800 premium cars.

I could go out tomorrow and buy a Tamiya kit of a NIssan GTR, scan the plans into 3ds max, and have a fairly decent exterior model done in 25 working hours.

Oh yeah, and get rid off all the Yaris, Swift, Jazz and other slow mundane cars you will never drive again, they are utterly pointless.

The physiscs are amazing but the quality of the tracks and cars ranges from utterly amazing to way below par.

Last edited:
From my local GameXchange Demo...

2 laps of Le Mans, in the Calsonic GTR Super GT, full rain and weather FX. Arcade mode, easy...

The weather was damned incredible... seriously going down the mulsanne I could not see a thing despite the fact no-one was in front of me... The physics system for your car - tightened up... so many understeery moments and a couple trips into the gravel at Indianapolis corner. Unfortunatly the AI was not so hot, this yellow GTR I pushed him for about ten seconds and he suddenly had a chunk out of his spoiler... but I was spotless... I know I was on easy difficulty, but even then.

NASCAR, Daytona. Medium Difficulty: Sound blew me away but the handling was tricky... even more NR2003 tricky. Spun out at turn 2 and did a full 360 leaving tyre smoke everywhere...

3 laps of Monaco - Zonda R: Powerful car, good track... AI SUCKED. I spun this guy in a tuned S2000 and he reversed back and forth across the track blocking everyone's way.

Still cannot wait for my overdue Collectors Edition...

My opinion, I owned all the other GT's since I was in HS. Its the best one they made obviously since there is so much more in the game in every regard. It has its flaws but if it was perfect then there would be no need to make another. In the end there is hours and hours of endless playing to do, photo mode is great and if they have DLC for it then it makes it soo much better. I dont love the AI so far but I am barely into the game, its pretty easy. Not changing the wheels is not the end of the world to me, they have a few cars I own to change wheels on so thats nice for me at least :) If you enjoyed any other GT then you will enjoy it, try not to get over hyped on the game and you will be happy like me. I stayed far away from this board until the last few weeks, there's always a let down for some reason in any game for me. Cant wait to get deep into the game though, they should just focus on fixing the small things in this game and making all the cars premium for GT6, maybe a few new tracks and work on the loading times if possible and I will be pleased with it. Overall I give it a solid 9/10, comparing it to forza, they each have there flaws, if your into modifying the body and wheels and crashes then forza gets the nod but if your into a solid race with realistic handling and not a track full of cars that people fitted with AWD(like a 69 charger which you can do on forza) then get GT5. Personally I love a solid racing game over body/wheels mods and crashing.

Gigantic Trash! It takes forever to get a car from the delivery truck and in the garage.👎 What's the point of that? Why can awarded/gifted cars go straight to the garage? The game layout totaly sucks! I would've been happy if it was a remake of GT4 for PS3. If using full car view(rear) it's obvious it was filmed with a model car hanging approx 10 feet in front of the cam, so it shows the effect of the ground turning instead of the car.👎
Surely the people at MS are laughing their guts out.:dunce:
Notice the WARNING at game loading: ... certain aspects of this game can cause seizures ....! I can feel one coming on :crazy:

Here's my vote:👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎
Oops, 11? It should only go up to 10.:indiff:

Got the game yesterday, now its 152am :) Enjoying the game totally, finally after waiting since GT5P was out. So many things to flick through, even before racing! Personally I love taking my time and looking at each little detail.

My only gripe so far was the jaggy edges with shadowing. Wished they smoothed that out.

Improvement on the sound of each cars, definite change when you start to modify, especially exhaust.

Overall an excellent effort!

Since this is now more like a Second Imptession, or even Third Impression, I don't think I'll share beyond this, but...Wheeeeeee!!!!!

picture.php

(Note the aftermarket pipes I bought, and how they stand out.)

Just doing licenses; I'm at IC10, and I see the same bull as in GT4 is back again, where the game does NOT distinguishes the difference in me hitting another car or other car hitting me, and from the looks of it, (just like in GT4 Tahiti license) it's gonna take me days/weeks before I pass this one. Also considering that reaching the last corner of the 2 lap race, only to fail by being barely touched by AI 👎 **%#&#**! Instead of saying I'll pass, I think I'll piss.👎 Clearly there are some morons 👎 programmers that get a kick in making certain challenges ridiculously hard just to piss us off (causing seizures) while others are ridiculously easy and even funny. :dopey:

Balance in PD's World? I'm trying so hard to find a positive, but so far..:boggled:
I'll go check out the "Whether I like the Weather" effects.:indiff:

GT5Canuck, the oil pan on that car is leaking oil, eh! :lol:

Good game but lack of wheel rotation options let it down for me the most and a cop out with standard cars... What took them 4 years to develop... The intro ??

No, GT5 is probably the worst game I've ever played in terms of screen tear.

You obviously havnt played many games then as the screen tear on this game is hardly noticeable if at all. Theres plenty of games out there with terrible screen tear and this is not one of them but then again im not purposely looking for problems with the game i prefer to enjoy it and i do if its as bad as everyone is saying then i wouldnt enjoy it. Theres not one thing in the world that is perfect including gt5 and it will be the same with gt6 , 7 , 8 and so on thats life so get over it rant over.

The game is growing on me. I'm sure lots of problems will get fixed with time. Regardless, this is hands down the buggiest console game I've ever played. Still it's not as bad as some pc games that get released in near beta stage.

Some people are complaining about the complaints. If you don't have any issues then post your review of the game. No one asked for your review of the reviews.

At first, it was the loading times. That really didnt take my fancy but i soon found out why, blown away by it now! The screen is a bit funny in all the menu's but in races its ok. That needs fixing and a few little errors with the graphics. Might be down to my hardware as im running a very very old TV lol :) Other than that its a fun game. The B-spec mode could do with x2/6/12 on it to get through the races a little quicker :)

You obviously havnt played many games then as the screen tear on this game is hardly noticeable if at all. Theres plenty of games out there with terrible screen tear and this is not one of them but then again im not purposely looking for problems with the game i prefer to enjoy it and i do if its as bad as everyone is saying then i wouldnt enjoy it. Theres not one thing in the world that is perfect including gt5 and it will be the same with gt6 , 7 , 8 and so on thats life so get over it rant over.

Kind of where I went..."what screen tear?"

I'm sure the scenery is awful as well, as leaves aren't individually rendered on each tree, but you know you kind of don't notice that when you're trying to corner at 150 mph.

Just introduced my wife (former professional truck driver) to GT5 with the DFGT on our 46" Sharp. Now I'm wondering when I'm going to get my turn again. :nervous:

First of all, I want to say that I have been a GT fan since I owned a PS1 and GT 1. I still love this series tremendously, but I have to say I am a little disappointed with this installment, especially the 800 something cars that are rendered no better than a PS2, and to me that is outrageous. How many years working on this 24/7? Bugati Veyron standard, and is a sluggish land boat to boot!!! What is going on here? I am also severely disappointed with the lack of customization! I love anything to do with racing, so as unwelcomed in this forum this opinion might be, I am just being honest. Forza 3 does customization right(aerodynamics, wheels, custom livery, visible lowering of cars, paint) and the simulation aspect isn't too bad either. I don't understand why I cant change the rims on my ferarri f430, essentially tuning it with lighter rotational mass and better MOI. If GT is so technical, why did they not give that to us? As far as the racing goes, second to none, absolutely love it and feels quite real and is comparable to some of the top PC sims. Great game all around, but I was expecting more with all of Kaz' and PD's comments about delays and features. OUT, Andrew

I'm still mixed on quite a few things, but I just took the NSX Zero for a practice run on Nurburgring V, without any aids. I was partly doing it to learn the car, track and test the best way to brake and keep control, but I wound up mainly just driving and soaking in some awesomeness.

So, all in all, I think the physics and much of the scenery are outstanding, even though the game as a whole does not quite live up to expectations. Still, the ability to take fairly realistic versions of my favorite cars and see what they'll do on some of the world's greatest tracks is well worth it.

Back