GT5 in 3D

• Thread starter DC9990
  • 221 comments
Truly, i agree GT5 and 3D is like it was ment to be played, suddenly many things just fall in place.

And some won't. The game run @ half its resolution (this is how GT5 do 3D), add ghosting (depending on screen), lose brightness (active shutters) and the benefit of 3D becomes subject to discussion. I had some good sessions in 3D mode - especially long races in GT500 cockpit - but i'm less keen to lose time to activate 3D now. This 3D is far to be as convincing as 3D Vision (2x60 Hz @ 1080p), which is already far to be perfect. In fact, 3D is very impressive when you put glasses, but that "wow" effect fades in a few minutes. However, the overall long term effect is that games are a bit more immersive (like if you were playing in front of a bigger screen). In GT5, it add to the "be in the cockpit" feeling, but not so much to the "be on the track" one.

My advice for anyone with a 3D TV is to try it out.it brought new life to GT5 for me .Its like a completly different game,truly amazing,incredible.all racing games from here on out must be 3D compatible. Sim Racer ***Finn Zevo***

And some won't. The game run @ half its resolution (this is how GT5 do 3D), add ghosting (depending on screen), lose brightness (active shutters) and the benefit of 3D becomes subject to discussion. I had some good sessions in 3D mode - especially long races in GT500 cockpit - but i'm less keen to lose time to activate 3D now. This 3D is far to be as convincing as 3D Vision (2x60 Hz @ 1080p), which is already far to be perfect. In fact, 3D is very impressive when you put glasses, but that "wow" effect fades in a few minutes. However, the overall long term effect is that games are a bit more immersive (like if you were playing in front of a bigger screen). In GT5, it add to the "be in the cockpit" feeling, but not so much to the "be on the track" one.

Sure, it may run on half resolution but i cant see any negative effects of that on a 55" screen with this game. Brightness is adjustable and it depends little how dark you have in the room (i play in a pretty dark room). But as always, a good 3D tv is a must. Otherwise it will be painfull.

A passive 3D TV set will always cut resolution in half no matter the source you have, but contrast lose and ghosting is reduced. I run the game on an active one, which also run 3D games at full res (PC), that may be why resolution matters more to my eyes than others.
Still, i think the "wow" effect doesn't last long - it happened to me several time to think i should activate 3D while having it already on, because i was used to it in the game session. And as all other 3D games, and contrary to what a lot of people not used to 3D thinks, the impact is strong on object close to camera (i.e. cockpit in GT5), but almost null on long distance (unless you doesn't have any object to draw near camera and set eyes separation at a very high level). That's why the most convincing game i've played so far in 3D is Trine 2 (3D vision, i'm not sure it supports 3D on PS3).

Edit: and by the way, as a reaction to lot of opinions i've read here and there...
About feedback from people who have just spent 400-1500 of whatever currency they use for a 3D screen, they are making an subconscious choice:
1. Tell to the world that 3D brings something unique and invaluable to the experience.
2. Face that they've just spent a lot of money for something they could live without.
Or take position somewhere between. Having a position close to #2 is hard to accept, that's why people who don't have 3D screen should be carefull with opinions from the ones who own one.

Last edited:
I've given up on 3D it just doesn't work on my 3DTV... I've tried everything! I feel like i'm banging my head against a wall :banghead:

gt5shaun, i don't think your UE22C4010 has HDMI 1.4 input, which is required to run PS3 3D games. Earlier 3D TV set and monitor didn't have HDMI 1.4.

Yeah.... the model you mentioned isn't a 3DTV. I have loads of Samsungs in my house. I mistakenly put down that code. The only 3DTV in my house is the Samsung UE40ES6710. and that is the one that is attached to the PS3... that won't run GT5 in 3D.... :(

yes, indeed. Sorry, i've missed your other post because of the ---------- line preceding your message that led me to think it was just a signature. So your problem is a mistery.

If not already done, follow these steps (from start to finish): these auto-detect hardware tend to be very touchy. Well, that won't probably works, but you know, sometimes... ;-)

Im using the PS3 3D display monitor that Sony made just for 3d gaming and all I can say is it's truly amazing...I'm not sure how it works with other types of 3d tvs....One of the great things that you get in 3d mode is the shadows are perfect.it fixes that jaggy blocky shadow problem...like I said before,I can't go back to 2d now.i will always race in 3D from here on out.it changed the game for me.very realistic....

yes, indeed. Sorry, i've missed your other post because of the ---------- line preceding your message that led me to think it was just a signature. So your problem is a mistery.

If not already done, follow these steps (from start to finish): these auto-detect hardware tend to be very touchy. Well, that won't probably works, but you know, sometimes... ;-)

Will definitely have to try these steeps when i get in the house... cheers Milouse.

Edit: and by the way, as a reaction to lot of opinions i've read here and there...
About feedback from people who have just spent 400-1500 of whatever currency they use for a 3D screen, they are making an subconscious choice:
1. Tell to the world that 3D brings something unique and invaluable to the experience.
2. Face that they've just spent a lot of money for something they could live without.
Or take position somewhere between. Having a position close to #2 is hard to accept, that's why people who don't have 3D screen should be carefull with opinions from the ones who own one.

1: It is unique and ads to the experience if its properly done and if you have configured it right on the right hardware..which leads to 2: If you want a good tv you get 3D along with it. Up to you if you want to use it or not and if you like it or not. All i can say is that for me it is a great experience and i like the game more in 3D than 2D. If you have possibility try it out and decide for your self. But make sure settings are good. It's like a plasma TV in stores...looks dull and doesnt shine so bright, but take it home, dimm the lights and you get a totally different picture.

Anyway, i know many friends that cant watch 3D so its really a personal taste. But GT5 is really well made for 3D so its a perfect game to try 3D out.

i just hate that 3d is so hard to adjust, you have to go back to the menu each time. Why cant they add an option in the pause menu when 3d is enabled? (Like motorstorm)

It would make it easier to see what each slider does. But i think 3d has improved with the last update?

After reading in this thread positive opinions about GT5 3D (especially after the latest GT5 update), I went ahead and bought a Bravia 40HX855 sony 3D TV. I've spent several hours in the past two days driving in GT5 with 3D, and it's quite an experience. I'm using 5 and .90 3D settings and the effect is very impressive, and without eye strain. I've tried 9 and .90, which gives a more pronounced 3D effect, but I wasn't comfortable and got a little eye strain.

Cockpit view looks amazing and you get a strong feeling of immersion. Driving becomes more enjoyable. I'm a bumper cam driver 99% of the time, but with 3D it's a different story. For standard cars I used bumper cam view and, still, the effect is amazing. When you approach other cars and during passing, the feeling is great, it adds to the driving pleasure in GT5.

I wear prescription glasses, so wearig the 3D glasses on top of them is far from the ideal setup. I find it more comfortable when I increase the gap/space between my spectacles and the 3D glasses.

Anyway, well done PD and thank you for a great simulation that's even greater with 3D.

I wanted to get a second pair of 3d glasses for the ps3 3d display. They are like 50 to 60 bucks in stores and online maybe 40. Bestbuy has them on sale for 20 bucks free shipping so I bought a pair. Now I can do some 3d gaming with my friend.

are you talking about simulview? for 2 player battles? if so, no , active is the only way this can work.

I have passive and will test it tomorrow. To me it's like unrelated things - how TV is displaying 3D (active/passive) is it's own business :-)

I've also tested GT5 in 3D past days - a lot of things has changed!

Okay - finally have time to write about updated 3D in GT5:

I'm proud to say that PD finally did very basic thing: now 3D mode is v-sync'ed!!!

That was biggest GT5 3D problem. Game were running without v-sync. That little thing was destroyed whole 3D on my TV. At first I was wondering why the 3D is so strange: when I hit pause suddenly all things became like they should, then resume and things were looked more like 3D mess. Then I switched to 2D mode on my TV and the picture was tearing like hell (no wonder because of frame rate). But now tearing in 3D is completely gone!

(P.S: But that even scares me a bit. If even me realized it after first hours in 3D (and that was more than YEAR ago) - I just don't know where PD are looking...It's a very first thing you need to do if you are making 3D. And it's also most.........logical (even if you know very little about 3D). However its better later than never so good work PD! :-))

(P.S.2: Dual Play not working on my passive 42 inch PFL7606H (and it's supported by TV))

Last edited:
Does GT5 have an option for dual play on a passive 3D TV, or is an active display required?

Only 3D Active TV's with Simulview can do dual play.

Passive TV's, any TV can do it. In some cases requires a bit of handywork with your passive glasses but no problem

I had my 2011 Panasonic 50 inch GT30 model for about a year now, and having no input lag, with stunning video quality was really made to shine with GT5.

Just this past Christmas I finally purchased the 3D glasses that were made for my TV from Panasonic, as I had always wondered how great the effects would be. After about a month, I've played with every setting available through the TV's 3D setting, and also GT5's 3D settings.

Keep in mind though, that I don't have perfect 20/20 vision, which is expected when watching 3D content. I think my right eye is slightly worse than my left eye, just something that might have caused some of the cross talk between the images.

The first run through with 3D in GT5, I used the game's settings and going through 1-10 on the parallax, and 0.00-1.0 on the convergence, and I couldn't find a truly clean image after fiddling with them for about an hour.

I later googled it, to see if there was any ballpark general settings that people have been using with GT5 in 3D, and found the "Parallax set to 2-3, and convergence set to 0.8-0.85" settings and put them to the test. I found these settings to be much better than my previous randomized experience, but the cockpit view was still lacking a clean picture.

I then played with the TV's 3D settings, where one of them was to change the distance of the image from the left and right eye. I found this helpful with the cockpit view, as it allowed me to line up the images much better and in real time with the game still running. But the problem I noticed from here is that if I have the cockpit view lined up well, then the rest of the picture would be double imaged. It's like you have to choose what you want to have in 3D in the cockpit view. The cockpit itself, or the road and scenery.

Finally, I tested the TV's upconverting capabilities, and left GT5 to normal viewing, turning off the 3D, and then setting the TV's 3D setting to convert whatever media on to the TV, into a 3D image. This worked the best with the cockpit view. It was well balanced with the cockpit itself, and the scenery. The effect of the 3D was a little less prominent, but you can also increase the TV's 3D setting, making the 3D more powerful, but may also increase the crosstalk/double imaging.

For bumper cam, the game's 3D settings at about Parallax set to 5 and Convergence set to 0.8 was fine, and could probably be tweaked even more to increase the depth of field, and more immersive. But again, this would cause problems with the cockpit view.

I'll still be playing around with all of these settings until I hopefully find one that suits the cockpit view better, I'm guessing there is a combination of the game's parallax, and convergence settings combined with that "Adjust left/right image" setting on the TV itself to make it a much better experience overall.

That's my take on this. I do enjoy the 3D effects, especially drifting around, going just inches away from the apex. It really enhances the experience.

To Seijuro808

Can you please try 8/0.65 and 10/0.70 settings? I found them perfect for my 42 inch passive display. Just trying to understand does it depended on TV or not!

I just tried both of your settings, alucard.

the cockpit itself had good 3D effect, but the course outside of the windshield had horrendous crosstalk/double imaging. It seems turning down the parallax down to low levels about 2-4 lessen the crosstalk for the view outside of the windshield.

But again, if using the bumper camera, even with high parallax the image doesn't get doubled.

It may just be my eyes that's the problem, but I'm guessing the higher the 3D effect, the more of the double imaging shows up. I am convinced that setting it lower, around 2-4 is ideal for me, though.

While the 3D effect does look good, in my opinion The game takes to much of a graphical hit. The jaggies are horrible, hopefully next gen 3D will not effect a games graphics so much.

I just hope we can get 100% 1080P games, running at a locked 60FPS next console generation. 3D or not.

Modern gaming PC hardware can push 2560x1600 (1600P) at 120frames. Yes, that's with thousand dollar PCs, but with all the optimizing and polishing the console games have over their PC counterparts, I hope we can achieve that 1080P/60FPS.

I just tried both of your settings, alucard.

the cockpit itself had good 3D effect, but the course outside of the windshield had horrendous crosstalk/double imaging. It seems turning down the parallax down to low levels about 2-4 lessen the crosstalk for the view outside of the windshield.

But again, if using the bumper camera, even with high parallax the image doesn't get doubled.

It may just be my eyes that's the problem, but I'm guessing the higher the 3D effect, the more of the double imaging shows up. I am convinced that setting it lower, around 2-4 is ideal for me, though.

Thanks!!!

Sorry I forgot to ask - have your TV any 3D options like depth and parallax? Because my doesn't and I will always get 3D "as is". If your TV have such options can you disable them or make them "default". I think maybe that's the cause.

Also my tips - 3D options (on TV or/and in any source) has nothing to do with crosstalk. If you have crosstalk you can only mask them by sacrificing 3D effect. So it's just matter of personal preference and your ability to focus on "virtual objects". Also I strongly recommend to turn off any "sharpen" or/and "dynamic contrast" filters - they will always cause (additional) crosstalk by their very nature. Hope it helps!!!

Sorry If I bothered you too much but can you check what I wrote above. Again - if you don't want - don't do it. I just love all that technical stuff :) (because it can really improve the experience). Glad if you can help me - in my theory all 3D settings have be the same (we all people...) and if it's true we can share settings and have best possible 3D experience without spending days in testing (like me).

Good luck! I also love plasmas - they are perfect. Especially Panasonics. :)

Last edited:
GT5 is one of the few games that I see extreme ghosting in 3D. I've tried every combo of settings, and nothing has helped. Other games like Black Ops 2 and Super Stardust HD(amazing!) work great though.

PS3 3DTV, sitting about 3-4 feet away.

Well, can say the that I'm very pleased with the performance of my 3D tv ( look at sig ). Love it and will be driving the new C7 in 3D soon.

I noticed that I get different 3D experiences using the interior view on different cars. Sometimes I would see some cross talk and sometimes I wouldn't same track just different cars.

Back