GT5 Prolugue aims to give European champion a stint in the actual Dubai 24 Race!

• Thread starter Motominded
  • 100 comments
55213nis_opt.jpg

Thanx to Autoblog.

This is either the stupidest idea ever or the most brilliant co-promotion for two brands in the history of mankind. Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, the distributor of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue across the pond, and Nissan are joining forces to host a competition that could place a really good gamer behind the seat of a real Nissan 350Z at a very real 24-hour endurance race in Dubai. The competition is called GT Academy, and the first round will be an online GT5 Prologue tournament hosted on the PLAYSTATION Network (for Europeans only, we presume). Based on the picture provided, it appears that entrants will be racing a Nissan GT-R in a special livery when the competition begins later this month. The rest of the competition will span some eight months, at the end of which the winner will receive a four-month training program to earn actual racing licenses. With his or her newfound knowledge of real physics and how actual damage occurs, the winner will then be given a stint behind the wheel of a Nissan 350Z in the 24-hour endurance race in Dubai.

Based on the press release after the jump, we're a little unclear exactly how GT Academy will whittle down all of these entrants over eight months or how much driving the winner will actually be doing in Dubai. Having raced GT5 Prologue online using the PLAYSTATION Network, we can't imagine qualifying is going to be a pretty sight. There are always plenty of jerks willing to brake late in a corner and buddy bump you into the wall regardless of the game's imposed penalties, especially if they know that seat time in a real 350Z is beyond their own reach.

[Source: Nissan, SCEE]

PRESS RELEASE

PLAYSTATION & NISSAN UNVEIL GT ACADEMY

Opportunity to drive for the Nissan team at the 24H Dubai endurance race – courtesy of PlayStation, Nissan and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue ™

London, 6 May 2008: Industry leaders PlayStation and Nissan have come together to create the ultimate competitive driving test - GT Academy. The eight-month, pan-European competition sees virtual and real-life racing merge to make the wildest dreams of two aspiring race drivers come true. The prize: a four-month training programme to earn their racing licences, followed by a real-life race driving a Nissan 350Z as part of the Nissan team at the 24H endurance race in Dubai in January 2009.

To earn a place in GT Academy, candidates will face a series of elimination-based competitions on and off the racetrack - starting at a national level with an online GT5 Prologue tournament hosted on PLAYSTATION®Network.

GT Academy builds on the long-standing partnership between PlayStation and Nissan that began with Nissan working with Gran Turismo developers Polyphony Digital. Nissan provided vehicles, racing drivers and feedback to help perfect the game's ultra-realistic driving simulation.

Roles were reversed in 2007 when Nissan called upon Polyphony Digital to design the interface for the onboard computer for the GT-R, Nissan's new supercar. The 'multifunction meter' provides drivers with updates on the car's performance and systems – a collaboration recognised as a motoring industry first. In the latest game, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue on PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™), Nissan's GT-R joins a garage filled with 71 dream cars including seven other top Nissan sports cars.

Speaking at PlayStation Day, David Reeves, President and CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe said:

"Gran Turismo is one of the most successful global gaming franchises of the last decade and is renowned for its realism, quality of design and in-car physics technology. PlayStation is now part of the global motor sport community from its games to its Gran Turismo TV channel – and now the GT Academy. The academy brings the real and virtual worlds of racing together and is the ultimate test to see if virtual drivers have what it takes to race in a competitive environment where there isn't the option to play again."

Simon Sproule, Corporate Vice President, Global Communications, Nissan Motor Ltd, added:

"We're delighted to build on the close relationship between Nissan and Sony PlayStation. This represents the competition prize of a lifetime for racing enthusiasts; a prize that brings the worlds of gaming and racing even closer together. We look forward to welcoming our new team drivers for the race in Dubai."

GT Academy goes live at the end of May. Entrants must register, via their PS3s, on the PLAYSTATION®Network (PSN) to compete in the special online tournament. Gran Turismo 5 Prologue on PS3 has sold over one million units since its launch, with the Gran Turismo franchise now having sold more than 50 million units worldwide.

"The GT Race Academy will allow virtual racing drivers to see if they can also perform in real life. It will alunch on the 23rd May on the PlayStation Network, although Sony is being incredibly sketchy about the ACTUAL details."

from Gamespot blog at the SCEE event.

I see this as kind of a joke, fastest in a game doesn't mean fastest on the track. Kazunori Yamauchi was faster then Sebastian Loeb around Le mans in GT4, so should Henri Pescarolo look at him to be the 3rd driver of one of his cars at Le Mans?

Nothing but a publicity stunt

I agree. But lucky bastards who actually win this in final will become the most envyed person in the whole GT universe.

And that's not a desertly populated place :D

Sounds like it could be a larf. Judging by some people on GTP there are obviously a few gamers who are pretty handy behind the wheel of a real car too. The challenge would be being good enough at GT5P in order to display your real talents in a car.

I'm fairly confident I could handle the real car having done a motor racing scholarship before, I'm just not good enough at GT5P!

I think its a great idea. I hate that the U.S. isn't involved but who knows, maybe if this works out in Europe, it might work here in the U.S. in the future. 24 hours @ Daytona, 24 hours @ Seabring. You never know? The best race car driver in the world might just come from the Gran Turismo community. I hope this is the start of many good things to come for all of us GT'rs

im not looking at this as proof one is a good driver.

It is really more of giving a lucky individual a chance to experience a real race car.

If anything more comes form it, as in the individual has some actual talent......it will be astonishing.

WOW, I seen this on topgear's website and then rushed straight over here! This will be a great bit of fun at the very least for everyone with GT5P and more than just "fun" for whoever wins. I just hope that the GT5P trials last until late June or July because I have exams coming up early in June so there will be little or no GT5P then.

Wow, this would be a dream come true. Please select me. :)

Forza did something similar to this. It was aired on Speed channel. They had amataurs and professionals (Ken Gushi) participate.

I see this as kind of a joke, fastest in a game doesn't mean fastest on the track. Kazunori Yamauchi was faster then Sebastian Loeb around Le mans in GT4, so should Henri Pescarolo look at him to be the 3rd driver of one of his cars at Le Mans?

But isn't that the point after all? Or did I miss the part in the article that suggested the goal of this contest was to find the next championship pro driver amongst amateurs? Or that the goal of GT Academy was to be the breeding ground for a new generation of pro drivers?

It's just a contest... with an ultra cool award for the winner! 👍

Hope my PS3 gets back fast, I really want to give this thing a go. 👍

Couldn't agree more. The OP might not think it's the stupidest idea, but I certainly do, as I find that giving a video game racer four months of training and then unleashed on an actual circuit with actual competition is not only foolish, it's outright dangerous. Reminds me of that MTV show where they would take 6 weeks, teach you how to do something like box, skateboard, or something else, than at the end enter you in an Amateur bout or a Vert skate competition. LOL, it could provide entertaining though.

What's more, I'm 99% sure it'll end up as the Euro's best punter who gets the win. Actually, I think I will be watching this ;)

Omg, driving a real race car is my greatest dream.
I stay every week at the racetrack as a marshal and watch all the nice cars. But i just haven't the money to drive one :(

when i read this i only thought of one thing. there going to have to do something to the online environment of the game to be able to get this to work. unless there going to just go off of the time trials which i highly doubt. to bad im in the US because i would love to compete in this.

How would they start the tourney online? What - are they going to have collision off? LOL I would guess it would be a time trial sort of thing... we'll see. :dunce:

Your old enough to race, you don't need a driving license to race, which you arn't old enough for.

Just little trivia if you didn't know, in the states, which doesn't apply to you, but just for sake of saying, he could legally be licensed to drive at that age :)

Which is a pretty bad idea :(

For every good driving 16 year old, there's 20 more talking on the phone, playing with my stereo, seeing how fast the car can go on residential streets 16 year olds... My grandpa actually killed one because the boy was going 90 through an intersection and couldn't make the stop... Sad, the boy probably wanted nothing more than a license, and when he got it, he paid the ultimate price for it.

This would have to be the best prize of any contest i've seen. Too bad I live in the US :( As someone else said, the winner would be the most envied person in the whole GT world.

For every good driving 16 year old, there's 20 more talking on the phone, playing with my stereo, seeing how fast the car can go on residential streets

Where I live in the US, you get your permit at 16, and your license at 16 1/2. I'm getting my license thursday and I can tell you I won't be one of those 20. I love cars and I'd love to go to the track to race someday but I will never street race. From what I see, it's just not worth it. And plus, here in Massachusetts, until your 18, 1 speeding ticket=loose your license for 90 days. And if I ever wrecked, I would get some serious hell from my parents.

It would be hilarious if someone won this tournament using a SIXAXIS, but I'm sure at some point they will force you to use the DFGT

I don't think it's as bad an idea as people think letting a gamer loose in a real racing car.

Firstly, your average GT5 player is likely to be a proper petrolhead, and the ones who enter the competition are likely to be keen drivers in the first place, so at least they'll know the basics of driving. Secondly, not all GT players are teens - it would be interesting to see how many users of this forum are say, mid twenties, or even older. One look through the "your car" thread in the other bit of the forum reveals that a number of people here have performance cars (albeit a lot seem to be from the US where nice cars cost peanuts).

Further than that, it would be interesting to see how many people here have driven a real car on a real circuit before. Or alternatively, are accomplished gokart racers.

I just think that the winner of the competition will likely be a fair bit more talented and experienced at driving than the "video game" stereotype may suggest.

Couldn't agree more. The OP might not think it's the stupidest idea, but I certainly do, as I find that giving a video game racer four months of training and then unleashed on an actual circuit with actual competition is not only foolish, it's outright dangerous. Reminds me of that MTV show where they would take 6 weeks, teach you how to do something like box, skateboard, or something else, than at the end enter you in an Amateur bout or a Vert skate competition. LOL, it could provide entertaining though.

What's more, I'm 99% sure it'll end up as the Euro's best punter who gets the win. Actually, I think I will be watching this ;)

To race in the Dubai 24hrs is going to require (as the article clearly states) a race licence, in this case an International B licence. These don't just get handed out, the four months training is likely to be very intensive and will require passing the required training, competing in races and a medical before the licence is granted...

http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/Comp_Licence_Notes.pdf

...lets be honest no race organiser is going to allow someone who is not capable race, its not like they will simply be thrown into the 24hr race. In addition any illegal behaviour on the track will get the driver black flagged, fined and with the licence endorsed or revoked.

Scaff

what a great idea..

i was going to comment on the SIXAXIS controller lol imagine that.. i can race mate but i cant drive lol

as has been stated i am sure top level training will be provided.. i am going for it being in europe lol

darren

First:
It is a great idea. A few years ago a team of guys and myself put a proposal to Bathurst council to re-establish the Bathurst 24hr race in NSW,Australia.
This concept is something I had on the drawing board.It has many plus's and will work.

Second:
I have watched racing for years and dreamed of racing but was not financial to do so. I stumbled onto video games a few years ago and discovered the GT series, built a simulator and had a ball,brought a skyline r33 and when to 3 track days then sold the car.Last year I decided that I wanted to go and have a race somewhere.There just happened to be a 300km enduro on at Wakefield Park, 200km south of Sydney.I booked a car and mechanic, showed up,did two practice sessions,they gave me a license and was ready to race. I had a team mate as well as a team in an identical car.Of the four drivers I was second quickest beating a top running formula v driver. The quickest was the production car champ(my team mate).We started 18th on the grid and finished 8th battling rain, a diff blew in the car infront of me as well as a gearbox in a mustang a few laps later.Skating on oil...The amazing part was we were in a daewoo!!the slowest car in the field.The top cars were V8 supercars. It was a tough weekend dealing with speed differences as well as what has been stated rain, etc but I do believe that the experience I had from sim racing did help keep it on the black stuff for the weekend as well as beat our direct competitors convincingly.

So yes I know it will work and open doors for new horizons in sim racing.

Cheers

Steve

Back