GT5 Review scores (Update :Average metacritic score)

• Thread starter DoctorFouad
  • 1,417 comments
Well, you were talking about releasing an unfinished product.

It seems nobody here remembers a game that was released without shift animations...

GT5 has about 800 missing shift animations too and them ones won't be patched.

That's great and all, but then you give a game a score based on its core appeal and then add up the highs and lows of the whole package to reach the overall verdict.

Objectivity, objectivity, objectivity.

GT5 has about 800 missing shift animations too and them ones won't be patched.

Post of the day. Erudite and to the point.

It's not looking good for GT5, the leaked car and track list makes me want to vomit. I don't know what to think anymore. My hype-ometer is lack luster at best. Doesn't even sound as good as Forza 3 on paper anymore. 200 premium cars, Forza 3 did 400... They also released two games in the same time span. For the games review sake, I hope hardcore GT fans don't review it like myself, or its META score will be in the realm of GT4.

agreed. not to mention their choices of what's premium and what's standard make George W Bush look like Steven Hawking. I'm already looking forward to forza 4 more than GT6. This could've easily been the greatest game of all time, and they screwed that up badly by continuing to neglect cars that current and outside of Japan. It's the most unbalanced car list ever seen & lets face it, we got into these games for a love of cars and driving. 1000 cars yes, put it's like piling poop on top of poop to say I have 1000 lbs when it's really the substance that should matter.

You guys are being ridiculous, and to say that you are looking forward to Forza 4because of "substance" over the GT series is pretty foolish.

"200 premium cars, Forza 3 did 400"

Who cares. Did you even realize that the "premiums" for Forza 3 dont even hold a candle to GT5's premiums? And will people stop acting like the standards are garbage. They have this gen physics and this gen graphics, which are the main things that matter.

How are they this-gen graphics?

Unless you're missing the obvious, the zeitgeist isn't to have textured bodies with textured details. As if to make it really easy for you, the zeitgeist is the quality of a GT5 premium car.

Who cares. Did you even realize that the "premiums" for Forza 3 dont even hold a candle to GT5's premiums? And will people stop acting like the standards are garbage. They have this gen physics and this gen graphics, which are the main things that matter.

For people like me who can only drive inside a cockpit (otherwise i have odly motion sickness) it matters a lot to have premium cars.

Anyway as for the reviews, i think the core content is there. Tons of cars for people who don't care about interior view, much less but however respectable amount for people like me. Tracks... well, there are more than Ridge Racer 1. Modes, quite a lot as well.

No i think the game will be judged on handling, AI evolution and multiplayer performance (that i don t care, i hate playing with people not in the same room as me). So, i guess the reviews will be positive, i deeply hope so.

You guys are forgetting that most racing games don't even feature half of the premium cars. In fact, over 200 cars is a lot. In the end you will only be racing in, let's say, 10-20 cars.

I bet you will have a blast online, competing against other GTP members.

8.5-9.0 so on Metacritic that will be the same range of %

Without having played it yet, heres my pluses/cons on whats been revealed..

Pros

-Still a good car count...
-Graphics
-Physics system
-Presentation

Cons

-Biggest con will be tracks when compared to competitors (iracing, GTR, rfactor, old TOCA series, F12010, but not Forza) Adding irrelevant city tracks that are time consuming for the sake of eye candy.

-Having standard cars

-Weird selection of Premium models

Unknown

-onlin racing
-damage model

If I was a reviewer, after 6 years I would have expected more cars and tracks which drives a racing game. I would also question Kaz on why he claims to be a perfectionist yet lets some standard cars into the game. If he was such a driving enthusiast, I would also question the tracks picked. Two superspeedways for NASCAR? Madrid and Rome for the sake of being pretty?

I have a feeling this game will really deserve its great but not legendary status for this gen of systems. This game will not be talked about in the same way MGS4, Red Dead, and many others have been.

What, so in your world, a half-finished job is fine because they tried?

Psychologists should study this GT phenomena, as it shows up certain people to be quite odd.
A psychologist would have a field day with this thread, they'd be studying how someone can describe the most comprehensive driving title of this generation as half-finished.

- Still no Porsche, and no Premium RUF (MEH)

meh?

don't get me wrong, I'm still going to buy (and likely love) GT5, but, to me, the lack of porsches is the single biggest issue with the game.

porsche has 16 overall LeMans wins, 2 formula one constructor's championships as an engine supplier, 2 can-am championships, 4 rally monte carlo overall wins, 2 paris-dakar overall wins, 22 24 hours of daytona overall wins, 18 12 hours of sebring overall wins, 11 targa florio overall wins, an IMC championship (the predicessor to the WRC) and dozens of supercup series throughout the world that work as a step ladder to everything from NASCAR, to a factory ride with audi at LeMans, to F1. porsche is the single most successful manufacturer in professional motorsport. this is supposed to be a motorsport game, the lack of the single most successful team in motorsport is practically a crime.

I think Forza 2 edges GTP.
I can't say on the rest till ive played them.
Forza 2 did not beat GT5P in the sales department but as a game it is not even close. Forza 2 was very good indeed and this coming from a GT fan. When I first played Forza 2 I was impressed by the graphics [not as good as GT5P but I had not saw GT5P yet] and it had some decent tracks to drive. Career mode left me wanting after GT4 but when I went online and raced the first time I was sold. Went out and bought a 360, the game, all the DLC and a MS Wheel.

I spent a full year racing it online and having a lot of fun doing it. Could not wait for Forza 3 which turned out to be a huge dissapointment both in career mode and online mode as well as having an inferior PI system to that of Forza 2. It did add some features to make it easier for novices such as rewind and auto brake but lost the tuning functions in online lobbies, completely removed the non ranked online lobbies as well as the user created public lobbies.

I like GT5P but in all honesty there really wasn't that much to it only took me a few days to complete it and compared to what I was used to the online left much to be desired. Loved the 16 car heats though :)

All the cars in NFS Hot Pursuit don't have a cockpit view and that didn't stop IGN and Gametrailers from giving it a 9/10.

If you think it will get anything less than 9 ,you are kidding yourself.I bet all of you once you get your hand on it you will be very impressed ,Kaz said this is a new Bar setter so what there are 20 to 30 cars most of us expected didn't make it ,there is DLC and the tracks eh well the tracks are dissapointing lets not kid ourselves,but we get day-night transition,weather,damage,custom soundtracks,online , stunning sounds and 16 cars on track .THis game will be awesome mark my words .

To call it anything other than half-finished when they had to include cars from the last Playstation to make up numbers and only implemented weather on eight of the tracks and not all of them is ridiculous.

I think what will bring this game down, is the lack of POP in terms of content. After 6 years, I think people franky were expecting a nut shriveling amount of content or feature that set this game well above any other before it. This is not the case, it is in actuallity a game that is very polished, but set its sights a little too high and is a case of, prince of many things, master of none.

The features just dont really have that much gravity to tell you the truth. 3d is still somewhat of a novelty and only a very small percentage of people have tech to display this. Head-Tracking same thing, who here has a PS3 Camera? Track creator meh! Content is king and thats 1000s of NEW cars not 50 Nissans to make your numbers high and plenty of tracks.

I think Kaz forgets that 70% of the original draw to this game was that people could race the same cars they drove to work or the car that they were saving to buy. Now since all of us arent Japanese this has increasingly pushed the rest of to the margins and I think PD are losing focus of what the intent of the original game was.

That said, I got my hands on the demo here in NJ and the physics are probably the best I have ever seen in a racing game on a console, no doubt about it and I think that this will push the game to 9/10, it is very satisfying to drive in this game.

I'm not a fanboy of GT or Forza.
If anything I'm a fanboy of the genre that's all.

Both will have issues to over look.

Generally before a game gets released. The developers are not to honest about there product and peoples hype get the better of them.

Now PDs honesty here should be applauded. I think even themselves recognise this game has issues and have felt the need to let the fans know before hand.

This is generally unprecedented in today's Market.

While I admire honesty it also fill me with some fears regarding this game.

Anyway, not long now.

A psychologist would have a field day with this thread, they'd be studying how someone can describe the most comprehensive driving title of this generation as half-finished.

I'd rather have them take a look at other threads. "A Field Study on the Power of Denial", or something. Based on the standards vs. premiums thread.

This game is going to be one of the highest rated racing games of all time Unlike many of the nitpicking posters on this forum, the world outside of GT Planet uses a reasonable analysis and actual logic to come to conclusions. This will probably be the highest rated racing games ever, and I also think it will be one of the highest rated games of all time.

And about the "it's inconsistent" comments and like people saying that some are in "denial" like Luminis and others, although I highly disagree lets put that aside look at an example. If I were to make a game with a straight line all the way through, and then, I were to make another game with all sorts of lines, squigly, short, slanted, all types of lines. But then all of a sudden, someone says that "the slanted lines arent as many as the squigly lines", does this make the game worse than the game with the straight line all the way through? Of course it doesnt. GT5 has so much content, that many of the GT posters have gotten caught up with what it doesnt have because we cant even handle the amount of content we have been given. And this game has more to offer than any other racing game ever made.

There should be a Forza vs. GT thread somewehere, so people can compare both games as much as they want.

Too many people in here who don't understand you can apply criticism to something you like. Or even love.

If you fail to understand that concept, I sure hope you learn to understand it before your next relationship starts.

Video game whining and relationships are two different things. Funny how I only point out cry babies for the game, yet you try to blast my relationship and applying to me i have no relationship experience ... do not go personal my friend.

Sure its ok to criticize a game, but many of GT Planetiers do it so much it just stupid to read about over and over again.

All the cars in NFS Hot Pursuit don't have a cockpit view and that didn't stop IGN and Gametrailers from giving it a 9/10.

It doesnt present itself as the real driving simulator Rod.
It does what it says on the tin. It er hot pursuits.

The content we have been given IS the issue.

It'll be a very good simulator, but the issue stands it'll be a better simulator of a Toyota Prius than it will of a Bugatti Veyron, because it's not finished to an overall, exacting standard.

It's a real shame they didn't have the balls to do a GT3 and let the game's content stand on its own merits and appear to be an achievement. In bald terms, 20% of the game is a big leap forward, but 80% of it is a huge step back.

Do you all realize we're talking about a $60 video game here?
Think about this. We're not NASA. We're not flying to the moon.

Incomplete? It's a $60 video game people.

The content we have been given IS the issue.

It'll be a very good simulator, but the issue stands it'll be a better simulator of a Toyota Prius than it will of a Bugatti Veyron, because it's not finished to an overall, exacting standard.

It's a real shame they didn't have the balls to do a GT3 and let the game's content stand on its own merits and appear to be an achievement. In bald terms, 20% of the game is a big leap forward, but 80% of it is a huge step back.

I'd rather have them take a look at other threads. "A Field Study on the Power of Denial", or something. Based on the standards vs. premiums thread.

And about the "it's inconsistent" comments and like people saying that some are in "denial" like Luminis and others, although I highly disagree lets put that aside look at an example. Forget about racing games, and lets just think of this with basic logic. If I were to make a game with say a straight line all the way through, and then, I were to make another game with all sorts of lines, squigly, short, slanted, all types of lines. But then all of a sudden, someone says that "the slanted lines arent as many as the squigly lines", does this make the game worse than the game with the straight line all the way through? Of course it doesnt. GT5 has so much content, that many of the GT posters have gotten caught up with what it doesnt have because we cant even handle the amount of content we have been given. And this game has more to offer than any other racing game ever made.

Last edited:
They've spent $60m dollars on it. It's hardly a drop in the ocean within its field.

I'm expecting pretty lack-luster reviews for reasons mentioned by OP.

1000+ cars doesn't sound as impressive when only 1/5 of them have cockpit views and there are 18 S2000's and 14 Civics.

Die hard GT fans will love it but I'm not so sure about the rest of the people, especially after such long development period, people's expectations are pretty high.

I'll reserve my final judgment until after the game is out.

Back