GT5 Review scores (Update :Average metacritic score)

• Thread starter DoctorFouad
  • 1,417 comments
I think you shouldn't have any say in it being disappointing until you actually sit down and play it for yourself. I honestly think we have hardly seen what GT5 has to offer with a few YouTube videos uploaded by people who rarely visit this site. These "lists" mean nothing to me. It all comes down to the fun factor of actually playing the game, which none of us have.

People should not be posting their own reviews right now if you do not own the game. You're just making useless assumptions.

First time member (only discovered this site a month ago) - long time gt fan
These "lists" mean nothing to me.

I agree with you when you say that it's a bit unfair to post reviews and opinions now since we don't have the game yet, but those lists are going to make or break for some people who won't have their favourite car or track in the game.

The bottom line is, in relation to the lists, PD haven't given their customers what they want. 41 skylines, 16 sylvias etc is completely ridiculous. Yeah he's Japanese so that's why he's put in so many nissans but the majority of his fan base isn't and doesn't want so many models of the 1 car.

I know I'm going to be impressed with gt5 and I'm not as diehard as many of the fans on this forum so I probably won't be impacted by these lists as much, but I think that after 6 years and 60 million you'd want to be pleasing everybody. That's an absurd amount of time and money for a video game and to have a damage model that is only applied to 1/8 of the cars isn't up to scratch. Weather effects should be a feature on All tracks as well, I don't think I know a racing game that only has weather on specific tracks rather than every track.

are you smoking crack? perhaps you have down syndrome, or you are just that ignorant you cant accept gravity exists because you cant "see" it? not to be a fanboy, i like both franchises equally, and i have been checking this site around 20-30 times per day for new news on gt5...but seriously....fm3 has the fanatec 911 turbo S wheel...and that ***** all over the dfgt (advertised wheel of gt5), i played gt5 with a dfgt at the sydney auto show and it felt like a very very cheap toy, my first ever wheel was a dfp, then i moved to a g25, then to a g27, then i UPGRADED to the fanatec 911 turbo S, the fanatec wheel is superior to the logitec offerings in every single way, i cant believe anybody would make a statement as ignorant as "forza does not offer a good driving wheel" when the 911 turbo s was designed very closeley with ms and turn 10. since getting my fanatec wheel(and its not like i stumbled across it, I had to pre order it to the states, wait 7 months, then trust an aquaintance i knew from only online to recieve it for me and post it onto me in australia, at a total cost of purchase and shipping combined coming close to $1000AUD), both my g25 and g27 have been boxed in the storage room as ive found the fanatec wheel to be not just in another class to the logitec wheels, but in another freaking galaxy! i use it on lfs, rfactor, dirt2, fm3 and whatever else i happen to come across, and it feels more natural, responds faster and is quieter than even the g27 in all situations, how can one even tout an entry level piece of garbage like the dfgt then claim that there is no decent wheel to play fm3 with? **** i cant stand ignorance.

this is the EXPERIENCE of somebody that takes their sim racing very seriously.

As somone who takes sim racing seriusly you would probally know that Forza is highly flawed in the respect that its quicker to use pad a controller than a wheel. For me that makes it less of a sim racers game:grumpy:

There is absolutely no way this game will get below a 9/10. Anyone who thinks that does not deserve the work and effort that has gone into this game. 👎

There is absolutely no way this game will get below a 9/10. Anyone who thinks that does not deserve the work and effort that has gone into this game. 👎

+1

Most of the people reviewing this won't be the die-hard fans that notice every flaw. Most people will see in this a highly deep, robust and polished game.

As somone who takes sim racing seriusly you would probally know that Forza is highly flawed in the respect that its quicker to use pad a controller than a wheel. For me that makes it less of a sim racers game:grumpy:

of course, it ***** me to tears and i have high hopes that gt doesnt provide the same idiot proofness to pad users that forza does, same reason i dont race fm online anywhere near as much as id like to.

I have a deep passion for building and driving my own machines, i have always built my own street cars, usually have atleast 1 or 2 projects im building at any one time and i love to play with road cars, not so much race cars. to me so far forza more fills my wants list in a sim that will keep my coming back, it does have a good solid physics engine and a list of cars and customisation that keeps me coming back. i enjoy my pc sims quite a bit, but they just dont seem to hold my interest for tens of hours on end like fm/gt can with the ability to buy a car, select the parts i feel will work well together then spend hours and hours fine tuning it on a track ect.then moving onto another car and seeing if i can get that quicker around the same track with similar levels of modification ect. i used to spend probably 4-5 hours per day doing this in gt4, and near the same amount in fm3. the reason i made such a large investment into fm last year. and its not a bad game, yes it does have an absolute crap load of bugs, and it did feel very incomplete when it was released. and it still has a list of things as long as my arm that are wrong with it. but if you choose not to play online, and just hot lap against yourself and build your own cars and enjoy it that way....most of these issues dont even appear. i have big hopes for gt to take the place of forza and i have even bigger hopes for it to pick up and stand tall where forza fell flat on its face. im just finding so many seemingly small things that will be harder to ignore even if just playing by yourself. i have made a huge investment into gt5 aswell, the only reason i own a ps3 is gt5..the reason i got my first g25 was in preperation for gt5, i just recently purchased a 3d tv, the main reasin being that i want to experience gt5 in 3d and i will certainly be investing in a pseye so i can make use of head tracking aswell. i am neither a forza fanboy, nor a gt fanboy...i am a car nut that wants to capture the experience of what i enjoy about cars in a sim. its cheaper, safer and it certainly saves me from constantly losing my drivers licence :). from the new information im seeing surface about gt5 tho, there are just so many little things to be disappointed about, especially for something that has taken so long to make. and especially when i have invested thousands of dollars in preperation for it, while dealing with forzas shortcomings, hoping gt would be the greener feild on the other side of the fence. forgive me for feeling a little disappointed. :)

anyway..my previous post intended to highlight the fact that there is infact a wheel that can be used for forza, and it happens to be one of the best wheels on the market obviously excluding the super big money wheels like the frex or the ecci wheels.

^^^ No offense, but your post looks like one big blob. It's frustrating to try and read. Personally, I gave up.

But, in all seriousness. Welcome to GTP.

After years ... years .. and years of developing and some people are still disappointed with the game due to lack of tracks. I find it really weird when it was revealed that the game has few RL tracks.

I think PD spent too much time on other features rather than adding RL tracks and P cars. Some of us might feel they're playing GT4 in ps3 if they chose a standard car and a GT4 track .. but for me? This is only GT5 .. wait for GT6.

Kaz said he made a mistake when he released Motor Toon very early even fans were not excited. I'm guessing we're saying that Kaz made another mistake ... but hell no .. Sony should have made more attention to GT5 and hired 150-200 employees for PD. ... I think I've gone too far.

TBH, I don't think GT5 will get less than 9. My F1 2010 has a 9/10 stamped in the box and I stopped playing it for a while because it's repetitive and boring.

Mine if I were a critic: 6-7/10

I hope GT5 will received deserved middle of the road lower score, it doesn't deserve much: too disappointing, too old (look at the list of cars!!! only 80 are really updated!), too stuffed with half-made features.

Clearly people are a bit disgruntled by some some of the recent announcements, but I think some of the comments are a bit unrealistic.

Yes the car list does have some gaps, and yes many are standard, but lets not forget GT5 Prologue which was really little more than a tech demo scored 8.0, how many cars did that have? less than 100 I believe People may also express dissapointment that some tracks didn't make it into GT5, but again I refer to prologue which had how many tracks? People understand a smaller number of tracks when they are accurately recreated. With GT5 we are lucky enough to have well created tracks as well as a large volume of them.:)

So when it comes to standard and premium cars, lets just for a moment dismiss the 800 standards, pretend they dont exists. 200 cars still compares favourably to most sims. Lets not forget this is a standard priced game, theres no charge of £10 per car despite the accurately modelled physics and appearance. Iracing anyone?

Quite sure when it comes down to playing the game most people will pretty quickly forgot most of the flaws, instead of looking at what isn't in the game try looking at what IS in the game.

Whoever said they think it deserves 4.3 doesnt deserve to buy it.:crazy:

It is nearly impossible to please the hardcore fans. Especially on the Car and Track lists.

I don't think the reviewers will care that much about those. 200+ new cars? With 800+ bonus cars? And about 30 tracks with 70 variations? Only the people that live on GTP are going to be disappointed with that.

However, I can see reviewers not giving a great score. Only because of the learning curve. There are a lot of people out there that get frustrated with GT. And some of them may be reviewing it.

I bet it will get really good scores though.

Also, remember Fallout 3 was a lot of people's game of the year (2008?) and it wasn't blowing the reviews out of the water when it first launched. So, it also has to do with staying power and this game will definitely have that. 👍

I'm sure the game will be great, but why did it take 60-80 million dollars and 6 years of development time to create something that on paper really doesn't seem that impressive? Roughly 200 highly detailed cars and some 800 cars that are reused from previous games in the series(many of which are duplicate models), 27 tracks(significantly less than GT4), weather and time on only a few of those tracks, a simplified course creator, and a very basic damage model(from what I've seen).

I am not saying the game will be bad! On the contrary, I think it will be quite good. I'm merely at a loss for how long it took them to deliver this. I'm looking at it like this: I was only 15 when they started this game and now I'm 21! The golden gate bridge was built in less time and that was in the 1930's! I'll be happy with it, despite this, but it still blows my mind that it took them this long.

Now with that, I think I can put my disbelief to rest and concentrate on simply waiting for the release. :)

Like i said many months ago the biggest threat to GT5 will be its reputation. Peoples expectations were so high, but at the end of the day the developers are only human and they did the best job they could. It wouldn't surprise me if a few of the reviewers do go off the deep end just out of spite due to unrealistic expectations but it should be the minority

Mine if I were a critic: 6-7/10

I hope GT5 will received deserved middle of the road lower score, it doesn't deserve much: too disappointing, too old (look at the list of cars!!! only 80 are really updated!), too stuffed with half-made features.

Dude, you haven't even touched the game yet. Stop being so emotional. That would be like saying the movie Skyline sucks when all you have seen is a trailer on youtube. How about you wait till you can actually try the full version out like actual critics do.

There is a reason you don't get paid to review games. You're to prone to read a book by it's cover.

Why complain about 41 Skylines (number is fictional) ??
It is easy for PD to model them, just change the colour/weight/HP etc
=> new model

There is no replacement if you delet 30 of them. So why put 10 Skylines in the game when there is space for 31 more ??

Enough of that old and boring Theme.

GT5 will get a 88-94% because its
1. GT
2. A DRIVING SIMULATOR !!
3. For Car enthusiasts/collectors/and "oldschoolers" and not only for Racing freaks and the young generation
4. Physics
5. Choice of music

The Car lineup is superb (Porsche isnt in, because of stupid Porsche-Managers).
There is no other Game that has Cars from all era´s and Cars that have had a major influence in their Time.

Dude, you haven't even touched the game yet. Stop being so emotional. That would be like saying the movie Skyline sucks when all you have seen is a trailer on youtube. How about you wait till you can actually try the full version out like actual critics do.

There is a reason you don't get paid to review games. You're to prone to read a book by it's cover.

Well, I would say that he is unable to read a book by its cover. Because the overall picture of this game is fantastic. There are some things that the hardcore GTP'ers are going to be pissed off about. But most everyone else will be stoked when they see what this game has to offer.

And 99.9% of us will be too.

Sometimes work and effort doesn't matter because there is no definite boundary that makes a game superb.

Then again, GT5 is a big step back. As we know, K.Y. is a self proclaimed perfectionist, but what he's releasing on Nov. 24 is just a playable game. It is so far from what he has made us believe and hope for. Then again, he never really made promises.

I can just tell that the content of the game will score less than 8 out of 10.

It's probably going to be a 7.8/10 overall.

I'm sure the game will be great, but why did it take 60-80 million dollars and 6 years of development time to create something that on paper really doesn't seem that impressive?

Because:

- they completely rewrote the GT4 code base. This would have taken ages.
- it takes 6 months for one person to produce a premium car.
- it takes 1 - 2 years for one person to create a track.
- the process of getting GT4 cars (standards) in to GT5 is unknown and probably not a quick process (although obviously quicker than recreating them in premium).
- they have taken on many new gameplay features; damage, rollover, online, dynamic day/night cycles and weather.
- they have developed many new technical features; 3D, headtracking, data logging.
- invested a lot of time in finishing GT PSP.

I think PD have chosen to spend significant portions of time on aspects of the game that a lot of people will not even notice - those anal details, I suppose, many of which are laying the foundation for the next generations of Gran Turismo.

I think they vastly under-estimated how long it would take to create new assets to such a high standard and were either too proud or 'in too deep' to change the standard/vision laid down early on in the project.

Last edited:
I should think most gaming sites will give it high score, purely on the feature list (9/10). Not so sure about ISR, they don't usually rip into games (from what I've seen), but their reviews are more in depth. Didn't Tekken90 give it 80% yesterday? 'no wau factor' (sic).

If I was writing a review with my GTP head on I'd be merciless.

I'll try and be polite. But you are spewing bull:censored:.

Sometimes work and effort doesn't matter because there is no definite boundary that makes a game superb.

Then again, GT5 is a big step back.

GT5 is a big step back? In what way? Just because it has less tracks? Seriously you need to help me see this logic.

As we know, K.Y. is a self proclaimed perfectionist,

Kaz has never claimed to be a perfectionist. That is the label that has been assigned to him.

but what he's releasing on Nov. 24 is just a playable game.

This is just stupid, sorry.

It is so far from what he has made us believe and hope for. Then again, he never really made promises.

Now you completely contradict yourself. Fail.

And no, the content of this game will fall below some of our expectations. Expectations that we have created by waiting for it for so long. But the overall content when put against other games on the market will be way above average.

Then again, GT5 is a big step back. As we know, K.Y. is a self proclaimed perfectionist, but what he's releasing on Nov. 24 is just a playable game. It is so far from what he has made us believe and hope for. Then again, he never really made promises.

It's probably going to be a 7.8/10 overall.

Just wow :lol:

Because:

- they completely rewrote the GT4 code base. This would have taken ages.
- it takes 6 months for one person to produce a premium car.
- it takes 1 - 2 years for one person to create a track.
- the process of getting GT4 cars (standards) in to GT5 is unknown and probably not a quick process (although obviously quicker than recreating them in premium).
- they have taken on many new gameplay features; damage, rollover, online, dynamic day/night cycles and weather.
- they have developed many new technical features; 3D, headtracking, data logging.
- invested a lot of time in finishing GT PSP.

I think PD have chosen to spend significant portions of time on aspects of the game that a lot of people will not even notice - those anal details, I suppose, many of which are laying the foundation for the next generations of Gran Turismo.

I think they vastly over-estimated how long it would take to create new assets to such a high standard and were either too proud or 'in too deep' to change the standard/vision laid down early on in the project.

Don't you mean that they vastly UNDER-estimated how long it would take? Also, you make a solid point about the things that they did add and why it could have taken them so long. I'm sure they weren't just sitting around the office drinking beer and playing tetris all day. They probably were hard at work most of the time and it could be that a lot of what they worked on is beneath the game's surface(rewriting the code for instance). Maybe this is what they initially set out to create, but my guess is that they were going for more. The realities of creating everything they wanted in the game just didn't match up with their lofty ambitions. Ultimately they do deserve much credit for what they have made.

I'll try and be polite. But you are spewing bull:censored:.

GT5 is a big step back? In what way? Just because it has less tracks? Seriously you need to help me see this logic.

I never said it had less tracks. I think it's a step back because although some new elements were added, some features were taken out.

Kaz has never claimed to be a perfectionist. That is the label that has been assigned to him.

Okay, he may not have claimed it directly, but the way he's doing things and his views on details has got to point out that he's a Mr. Perfectionist.

This is just stupid, sorry.

I say it's playable because it's not into par with his standards. He's already expressed that the PS3 didn't have as much power he wanted, so it's not a perfect game for him, but a playable one.

Now you completely contradict yourself. Fail.

He's said 60fps initially, but that's not going to be a guarantee. He said damage was going to be revolutionary, but only some cars get damage. He said weather was going to be an integral part of the game, but weather doesn't apply to all tracks and all races. He said the cars would have amazing details, but only a handful were actually nitpicked to the bone (premium models) and we're left with 800+ standards. And it goes on. The idea here is that he mentioned some awesome features, but they're all limited and never guaranteed them at all.

And no, the content of this game will fall below some of our expectations. Expectations that we have created by waiting for it for so long. But the overall content when put against other games on the market will be way above average.

There is no doubt that this game will be a seller and is way ahead of the competition, but that doesn't warrant it to get 8 or more off the bat. Have you played the game? I haven't. It's just a prediction. You don't have to take it seriously.

Well, I apologize for upsetting you. Clearly, I hit a nerve somewhere. Thanks for being polite, though. 👍

Okay....

Don't you mean that they vastly UNDER-estimated how long it would take?

Yes, I meant under-estimated Ooops :)

BestWorstRacer
It is so far from what he has made us believe and hope for. Then again, he never really made promises.

I don't see this as a complete contradiction, actually. Kaz can alude and insinuate stuff yet he doesn't exactly make promises. My impression is that Kaz is a visionary, a dreamer and an optimist; not necessarily a manager or realist.

Last edited:
I can't believe how people get so frustrated by the recently released information! After years of waiting finally GT5 is upon us. Halleluja! Most of the people here forget that they spend nearly everyday at gtplanet, hoping for some new information. After years of little bits being released, everyone is mad that that's it! How ignorant, basically everybody who's whining about GT5 is asking for a constant feed of new undiscoverd content, while we've been painstakingly getting news from the most unreliable sources.

-GT5 shows up at Hockenheim, oh it must be in the game then! No it doesn't
-Someone mentions Spa will be featured in the GT-academy, it must be in then! No it doesn't, it was Indianapolis and Spa has never been shown.
-Dynamic wheater was mentioned but not on all tracks. So what's the deal.
I can go on for hours, but I won't. I'm just sick of all these people waiting for a truly beautifull racing game. A game many of us bought a PS3 for. Now we can finaly play the game in about 2 weeks. Just enjoy the real online competitions, the trackcreator, the ferrari's, the Lamborgini's, the maserati, The day-and-night-transitions, the 16 cars on track, the karting, the topgear testtrack, the real rally races.

I beg you, get some sense people this game is going to be wonderfull. It's not Kaz' fault your expectations grew and grew everyday for the last couple of years.

I bid you all farewell, because for the next two years I will not visit Gt-Planet, because it ruins gran turismo for me. I'll see you guys online in one off the best racing games ever to be produced.

I can't believe how people get so frustrated by the recently released information! After years of waiting finally GT5 is upon us. Halleluja! Most of the people here forget that they spend nearly everyday at gtplanet, hoping for some new information. After years of little bits being released, everyone is mad that that's it! How ignorant, basically everybody who's whining about GT5 is asking for a constant feed of new undiscoverd content, while we've been painstakingly getting news from the most unreliable sources.

-GT5 shows up at Hockenheim, oh it must be in the game then! No it doesn't
-Someone mentions Spa will be featured in the GT-academy, it must be in then! No it doesn't, it was Indianapolis and Spa has never been shown.
-Dynamic wheater was mentioned but not on all tracks. So what's the deal.
I can go on for hours, but I won't. I'm just sick of all these people waiting for a truly beautifull racing game. A game many of us bought a PS3 for. Now we can finaly play the game in about 2 weeks. Just enjoy the real online competitions, the trackcreator, the ferrari's, the Lamborgini's, the maserati, The day-and-night-transitions, the 16 cars on track, the karting, the topgear testtrack, the real rally races.

I beg you, get some sense people this game is going to be wonderfull. It's not Kaz' fault your expectations grew and grew everyday for the last couple of years.

I bid you all farewell, because for the next two years I will not visit Gt-Planet, because it ruins gran turismo for me. I'll see you guys online in one off the best racing games ever to be produced.

Wow .. powerfull stuff... you listenin YOU LOT... lol.. its' the best racing game EVER .. our man here said so.

Im hoping it gets 10s. But I know unless theres a knock in sales, PD wont take our critiscm seriously. Sony, hire more staff dammit! Act like a bunch of cheapskates

Back