GT5 Time Savers Pack ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gtuned
  • 124 comments
  • 9,064 views
They should make all the cars available in arcade mode (except for maybe the X-1). But if you want to own/customize them you have to work for them.

I remember there was a whole debate about this back in PGR2 when they made the Speed 12 available via dlc. But they made the dlc version only available in this horrible puke green color, so you would know who to avoid online. I would be okay with something like that I think.
 
I don't know why everyone makes a time savers pack seem like a sin.

Some people just don't have the 15 hours to grind one race just to get ONE car, little lone the patience, like me. Just doing the same race is BORING. Is that what a sim is supposed to be like? Boring? Didn't think so.

If they release a pack to unlock cars and have them gifted to you or provide infinite funds, it gives people who don't want to be like the nerds who think grinding one oval track for 5 days strait is how the game is meant to be played a chance to drive/own/take pictures of beautiful cars (looking at you Ferrari :D).

If PD adds in about 100 new events (20 for each tier of difficulty), then maybe it won't be AS bad trying to "earn" a virtual car, little lone rank up to actually buy certain cars.

And if they also do something like what Forza did for the online money/EXP in private races against AI, then it certainly won't be that bad.

But for the time being, the game is slowing down around level 20-24 ish, mainly due to lack of events to keep the game alive, but also due to requiring cars that are a level ahead of the event that they are needed for (FGT, anyone?).

I would go with racing more, but I am NOT going to grind 24/7 for a Jaguar XJ13. Sadly, I'll just have to ruin my racing skill with B-spec dumb*** bob to get one. Same with the X1. Not going to waste a week grinding one race to unlock the challenge, only to find it's hard as hell on a DS3 (STFU about a wheel-don't have the money for one) and not worth the time.

TL;DR?
Unlocking cars DOES NOT degrade the game in ANY way for YOU, only for the person who bought the pack. It only proves you decided to take the long way around to get a car. Some people just don't have time, others may have bought the game for certain features (IE: photomode, track editor)(I just got into photography, so I love taking photos of cars), while others are just lazy to take the long road of repetition.

/flamesuit on
 
They should make all the cars available in arcade mode (except for maybe the X-1). But if you want to own/customize them you have to work for them.

I disagree with that as well. There is no purpose behind it. Earning cars says nothing of skill, temperament, or honesty. Though I myself, going by the attitudes of those defending unlocks (no this isn't a personal attack, but an observation) would prefer to race people who could careless about GT Life. They (the "cheaters") are probably more focused on racing.

If the single player group is so desperate to segregate themselves for whatever reason, just label the earned cars authentic and have the ones gained other ways called replicas. Make it so those who have an unlocked GT Life (all cars, tracks, everything is free, no maintenance) can't trade (what would be the need?).

What would be wrong with that?
 
I'd have to say, I have a life, it involves work, kids, pets, fish tanks, real life racing, martial arts and ice hockey.

I may not be playing GT5 much longer cause I can't see myself getting anywhere, like I said, I am a career guy with lots to do in life already, was hoping to relax and drive the cars I want with GT5, not spend 10 + hours a day grinding the same track over and over again to win credits for the next car or level up. $30 million credits? are you f'ing kidding me?
 
No I would hate it because the 20million cars will be to common online. All I really want is new events and new tracks. Maybe a couple of supercars(lamborghini sesto elemento etc.)
 
It is called the Collectors Edition - nothing like a couple 400-600+ HP cars in your garage from the very start to kick-start your career!
 
Wow, I am beginning to wonder if some of you ever played a GT game before now.

The biggest difference in how GT5 handles the cars is not being able to re-win prize cars to sell for cash, and the locking of tracks.

Needing to grind for money to get cars has always been a part of the GT series and if you jumped into GT5 not knowing that, I am pretty sure that is not PD's fault. I did the same thing with GT1, GT2, GT3, GT4, GT5:P, and GTPSP. In fact, in GTPSP I own every car in the game from buying them with race winnings. I didn't trade a single car online. The locked tracks were the only thing that caught me off guard this time around.

This is not new or unreasonable by GT standards.

Could they do a time savers pack to make life easier for those with families or a lack of patience? Sure. In fact, I am sure a lot of people would like it. Is it ridiculous if they don't? Nope. It would just be the norm.

I will say this: If they do a time savers pack I hope they disable all prizes and trophies tied to number of cars and give me the option to make sure those using it cannot join in my online races.

GT has always been a game with hundreds of hours of gameplay in single player and to hear people complain about the work necessary to reach full completion and win those prizes only three weeks after it launched is laughable in my opinion, considering GT is the only series that has given me years worth of gameplay from every game.
 
Grinding is simply not worth the trouble, lost time and nerves for a moment of satisfaction. At least not for me. Once you accomplish getting VERY expensive car, will you be satisfied? NO, you'll go on grinding some more, because greed is in our nature.

You guys really don't see this dark side of the game?
 
A "time savers" pack for GT5 would cause me to lose all respect for the GT series. I've always loved the lack of cheats and having to earn what you get/want.

My most expensive car is the Italia. And no, I do not need a time savers pack.

Cars and money have to been earned. And the earning/racing is supposed to be the essence of the game.

I agree with both of you! The sense of honor and merit comes from the fact that you have to endure the unpleasant things in life in order to obtain what it is that you want.

Teaches you to be patient and to appreciate those unpleasant things under a new light.

Having said that, i understand from our youngsters' point of view (and others with the Paris Hilton syndrome), how "unfair" of being forced to do those chores, we are practically in 2011 already, there should be freedom for every single entity on this planet. We should be allowed to do whatever pleases us.


I say Kaz should release such pack, but include a software code/lock that prevents those who purchase it, from finishing the game, or at least say that you cheated on your way to the end.

Because if you buy the cheat pack and finish the game ahead of those who grind, it's just not fair. :p
 
You guys really don't see this dark side of the game?
For those who play it because we just love the driving it is just another chance to drive some more.

And maybe that is the difference in attitudes. Not everyone is playing it as a game to be beat.


But if this is a dark side it has been like this for over ten years now and no one is wearing dark masks with smoker's wheeze.
 
For those who play it because we just love the driving it is just another chance to drive some more.

And maybe that is the difference in attitudes. Not everyone is playing it as a game to be beat.


But if this is a dark side it has been like this for over ten years now and no one is wearing dark masks with smoker's wheeze.

👍 Fits me perfectly. I enjoy this game very much the way you describe it.
I am not trying to beat the game, i am trying to beat myself ;)

You are your worst enemy,
beating the game is a false sense of accomplishment.
Beating yourself is the real reward.

I am sure there is an old asian saying along those lines...
 
Why aren't all the cars available in the Arcade Mode?

That has irked me since release.
 
Sorry, but this isn't EA we're dealing with here.

This.

I buy and play GT5 to death because I expect to be challenged more than the previous GT. I finished GT4 in just over two months and it took me another 3 months to get all the cars. I've been expecting it to take longer to do so for GT5. All I really need is to earn XP when racing online 👍 IMO, that is all that is missing (now that we'll be getting some standard cars upgraded to premium - hopefully that trend continues).

Jerome
 
Yes the racing is fun.
But doing the same damn race constantly isn't.
and really, don't get pissed at us who just want the damn cars to have. Fine don't allow us to join your races, cause it'd be so much easier to beat noobs who can't control their cars.
I just want the cars for my damn pictures. Cause for me, GT5 CE was a 100$ Photomode game bassically. And it's not worth the countless hours of grinding for 1 stupid car, i don't care how "rare" it is. There's 5 Million out there. That's not really rare
"BUT WE PLAYED THE GAME AND UNLOCKED THEM FAIRLY" Good for you, do you want a cookie too ?
 
Dont you think we want the special car (that everyone desire so much) for the "damn" pictures? But what makes it so special if everyone has instant access to it ;)
What makes the car rare is because not everyone is able to earn it properly.

Yes it would be unfair that you get to take your damn picture before i do, because you paid for it, when i have to grind it for weeks.
What does that teach kids?? that money buys you everything, F%&$ honor and principles, and merits... we are in this just for the $$$$.

Great message but This really aint EA.

I wish more people like Kaz try to convince most of us to get back to the basic and essentials.


And no cookie, thanks, we just want to be recognized. It's sad enough that we work out @$$ off, to be stepped upon later without any consideration.

I say thanks to Kaz for leveling off the game, and to reward those who work hard.
For him as well, he didn't work 6 years for you to finish the game in 6 days.
 
Sorry but this is a sim, theyre arcade games. I doubt anyone would like very much for it to be released.
Id love a few free millions every now and again but its an RPG.

Most sims don't actually have cars available for purchase, they are often all unlocked from the beginning so that people can immediately do what they want with them i.e. test them, fiddle with the setup and race them against others. For many that is where the fun is found, not actually racing to achieve the car but racing the car.

Perhaps i've just spent too much time in recent years on other sims that suddenly having cars essentially locked away to this degree is a bit of a shock to the system.
 
Last edited:
Dont you think we want the special car (that everyone desire so much) for the "damn" pictures? But what makes it so special if everyone has instant access to it ;)

Yes it would be unfair that you get to take your damn picture before i do, because you paid for it, when i have to grind it for weeks.
What does that teach kids?? that money buys you everything, F%&$ honor and principles, and merits... we are in this just for the $$$$.

Great message but This really aint EA.

I wish more people like Kaz try to convince most of us to get back to the basic and essentials.

I don't think Kaz creates games out of the goodness of his heart and goes home to a cardboard box at night. The fact is this is a game, the cars have no real value to anyone. Will you be telling your family decades from now how you spent 20 hours or whatever to earn a virtual car on game long since forgotten by most?
 
people think that just because they want to play a game a certain way that everyone else should have to as well. if not, then the "cheaters" "lazies" "noobs" should have to pay extra so that the "pro" players' time spent actually means something even though they supposedly enjoy playing the game like it is...

and to say you would want an option so that people who bought the pack cant join your room? WTF? exactly how the hell would that effect you? the fact that they might have more cars is going to give them a competitive edge online? it's not like you aren't already going to have some super cars to play with. if that's the case then people who bought the collectors edition should be held to the same circumstance as they paid to have more cars from the get go, I see no difference in that vs a dlc pack for cars... it's not like you can just set the max hp requirements etc is it? oh wait, you can!

just a bunch of jealous crybabies trying to impose their will on others... IMO
 
Yes it would be unfair that you get to take your damn picture before i do, because you paid for it, when i have to grind it for weeks.
What does that teach kids?? that money buys you everything, F%&$ honor and principles, and merits... we are in this just for the $$$$.


What you really mean is, "Yes it would be unfair that you get to take your damn picture before i do, because you paid for it, when i CHOOSE to grind for it for weeks".

That's it, personal choice. You choose to not purchase DLC. You choose to grind for weeks. You want everybody else to do the same thing you do because you can't stand the fact that somebody else got something in less time than you. Why is that?

Kaz is a business man, and as such, he is concerned with the "bottom line". DLC would positively affect that bottom line. Money may not motivate Kaz, but it keeps him in operation, and having a job is pretty motivating. He does not develop the GT Series for years on end just to be a nice guy. I doubt he is in a Motel 6 eating Top Ramen.

Btw, don't talk about "the basics and essentials" when referring to a home entertainment system and videogame/s. lol
 
Wow, I am beginning to wonder if some of you ever played a GT game before now.

The biggest difference in how GT5 handles the cars is not being able to re-win prize cars to sell for cash, and the locking of tracks.

Needing to grind for money to get cars has always been a part of the GT series and if you jumped into GT5 not knowing that, I am pretty sure that is not PD's fault. I did the same thing with GT1, GT2, GT3, GT4, GT5:P, and GTPSP. In fact, in GTPSP I own every car in the game from buying them with race winnings. I didn't trade a single car online. The locked tracks were the only thing that caught me off guard this time around.

This is not new or unreasonable by GT standards.

Could they do a time savers pack to make life easier for those with families or a lack of patience? Sure. In fact, I am sure a lot of people would like it. Is it ridiculous if they don't? Nope. It would just be the norm.

I will say this: If they do a time savers pack I hope they disable all prizes and trophies tied to number of cars and give me the option to make sure those using it cannot join in my online races.

GT has always been a game with hundreds of hours of gameplay in single player and to hear people complain about the work necessary to reach full completion and win those prizes only three weeks after it launched is laughable in my opinion, considering GT is the only series that has given me years worth of gameplay from every game.

I've played every GT. My attitude has been constant. It has nothing to do with what the game is about or how it is

1. If I were able to jump into the game unlocked from the beginning, it would not in any way change the nature of the game for someone else.

2. The game can be made to satisfy me with minimal effort on PD's part, and it could perhaps earn them a profit, which would benefit everyone.

GT is the only series that has given me years worth of gameplay from every game.
Well, that's you. And I've got the most value out of games that understand the worthlessness of unlcocks.

I agree with both of you! The sense of honor and merit comes from the fact that you have to endure the unpleasant things in life in order to obtain what it is that you want.

Teaches you to be patient and to appreciate those unpleasant things under a new light.

Having said that, i understand from our youngsters' point of view (and others with the Paris Hilton syndrome), how "unfair" of being forced to do those chores, we are practically in 2011 already, there should be freedom for every single entity on this planet. We should be allowed to do whatever pleases us.


I say Kaz should release such pack, but include a software code/lock that prevents those who purchase it, from finishing the game, or at least say that you cheated on your way to the end.

Because if you buy the cheat pack and finish the game ahead of those who grind, it's just not fair. :p

Your argument doesn't fit here though. We're not talking about real life. And I would have a strong temptation to argue that anyone who is "raised" by a video game has failures for parents or perhaps has some issues.

I also don't understand where finishing the game comes from. It's always the pro-unlockers who bring it up. The only way to get me to finish the game is to make it unplayable. I'm arguing for a way to start the game. Right now, I have to go through hoops just so I can be able to immerse myself in racing. It's completely backwards. Trophies and a 100% sign are worthless. I don't see why they are even in the game in the first place. I didn't buy it for that, I bought it to race.

For those who play it because we just love the driving it is just another chance to drive some more.

And maybe that is the difference in attitudes. Not everyone is playing it as a game to be beat.


But if this is a dark side it has been like this for over ten years now and no one is wearing dark masks with smoker's wheeze.

Your post is confusing. Who is trying to beat the game? I'd assume it's the GT Life players, but it sounded like you kind of gave beating the game a negative connotation and I'd think you wouldn't do that to yourself.

those who play it because we just love the driving
That's everyone who wants unlocks to just disappear.

Beating yourself is the real reward.

I'll be able to get to that as soon as GT Life is no more.

This.

I buy and play GT5 to death because I expect to be challenged more than the previous GT. I finished GT4 in just over two months and it took me another 3 months to get all the cars. I've been expecting it to take longer to do so for GT5. All I really need is to earn XP when racing online 👍 IMO, that is all that is missing (now that we'll be getting some standard cars upgraded to premium - hopefully that trend continues).

Jerome

Then you should not at all be opposed to "cheating".

Yes it would be unfair that you get to take your damn picture before i do, because you paid for it, when i have to grind it for weeks.
But you want to grind, that's the difference. But OK, if cars are only special because of some arbitrary factor like rarity, why not use the authentic vs replica idea?
What does that teach kids?? that money buys you everything, F%&$ honor and principles, and merits... we are in this just for the $$$$.
Why are children learning from video games? Why is it good to teach children to that they should never strive to find a place where they can be happy without the inconvenience of reality - which does not imply that they can ignore reality. Certainly, everyone deserves a break from the harshness of life every once in a while. I'd think everyone here would agree, or we'd see more petition to put an 18 year period into the game where you can't drive cars. Afterall, unless you go through the hoops, you deserve nothing right?

Why not complain about collectors editions corrupting our youth's morals. We can go further. Free candy on Halloween should be fined. Kids need to go back to child labor and earn the candy don't they?

I hope that sounds insane.
For him as well, he didn't work 6 years for you to finish the game in 6 days.
He did a poor job. The game's longevity is locked.
 
Last edited:
Here's a kick to the nuts for many of us bronze and silver drivers: We will never get to race the 24 hr version of the 'ring in split screen. The track is on the disc. The fracking disc I paid over $100 for and I can't play all if the tracks because I don't have the skill to achieve gold in a certain string of events? Yeah, thanks a fracking lot.

Bring on the DLC so I (me personally) can enjoy what I (me personally) paid A PREMIUM price for.

And those 20 MILLION CREDIT "classic" cars SUCK!!!!! So glad I didn't save for months to buy a mushy blob of a car!

The flaw with GT5's grind is prize cars can't be sold and then won again.
 
I am unhappy that I can not unlock the full N-Ring. Locked tracks blow..
 
Yes the racing is fun.
But doing the same damn race constantly isn't.
Have you tried challenging yourself? Use a less powerful car. Set yourself up to struggle on those races. Turn a boring oval race into a three hour lesson on proper drafting techniques. Focus on lines and lap times as you race, challenging yourself to make the perfect lap every single time.

Good for you, do you want a cookie too ?
If my PS3 popped a fresh baked cookie from the BD drive, instead of an image of a fake trophy, it would be the most awesome thing ever. But I should avoid sweets so virtual trophies will suffice.

people think that just because they want to play a game a certain way that everyone else should have to as well. if not, then the "cheaters" "lazies" "noobs" should have to pay extra so that the "pro" players' time spent actually means something even though they supposedly enjoy playing the game like it is...
Actually, I am more in the boat of Kazunori Yamauchi and Polyphony Digital designed the game to be played in a certain way. It was their work and their choice. If you don't like how they lay out their gameplay (and you have had ten years to learn what that is) then you do not have to buy the game.

and to say you would want an option so that people who bought the pack cant join your room? WTF? exactly how the hell would that effect you?
Well, since I am only at Level 18 I don't want people showing up with cars I don't get a choice to have when I set the HP higher so I can use a prize car that I can't currently buy. I want to be sure that my competitors are on an equal footing with me.

Why is it such a big deal that I want that option (meaning it is a choice for me as the DLC would be a choice for you)? To me it sounds like:
just a bunch of jealous crybabies trying to impose their will on others... IMO

if that's the case then people who bought the collectors edition should be held to the same circumstance as they paid to have more cars from the get go, I see no difference in that vs a dlc pack for cars...
And the going assumption was that they would only be available in Arcade mode, just like my GTPSP cars. So, I bought the CE with the assumption those cars would not be in GT Mode. Of course, I didn't buy the Collector's Edition for DLC cars. I think anyone that paid a real $40 just to have a handful of extra fake cars is bit daft. I did it for the extra real-life goodies.

Speaking of, I have plenty of cars to play with in Arcade mode. Maybe that would be a fair compromise. You get all these cars unlocked for you in Arcade mode. Find a way to add it to Photomode too. There, you have them to drive and make pretty pictures with, but your GT Mode progression doesn't look better than it really is and you don't affect anyone else's multiplayer experience.

By the way, I see your Shift key works. Why not use it properly, as per the AUP?

Here's a kick to the nuts for many of us bronze and silver drivers: We will never get to race the 24 hr version of the 'ring in split screen. The track is on the disc. The fracking disc I paid over $100 for and I can't play all if the tracks because I don't have the skill to achieve gold in a certain string of events? Yeah, thanks a fracking lot.
I'm in the same boat, I think. I haven't tried to unlock it yet. But honestly, I think this was a bad game design decision, primarily because it is arguably the greatest thing PD put into the game. Just one track is all that I will likely have trouble with, and if they madepaid DLC for it I would probably get it if I decide I am just physically incapable of unlocking it. I would even be happy to accept it only being available in Free Run mode if I did that. But if they never do it and I never unlock it I can accept that. It wouldn't be the first time I couldn't get to everything in a game. I never saw the Ford Model T in GT4 either.






I think the thing with this concept is that a game is designed a specific way with a specific vision in mind by the creators. I mean, I quit playing Resident Evil games because I just wanted to shoot zombies, not solve puzzles. I now know what the game is and so I don't buy them. No one is begging for the God of War series to just have the boss fights without the puzzles and wandering all over the place for hours. No one asked for Final Fantasy XII to have DLC to skip pass the 12 hour tutorial.

I really do see what everyone really wants. Something just like Forza 3's Free Run mode. The fact is that Gran Turismo does not work that way. The formula has been the same for 11 years.

So, I pose this question: You had to know by now how the Gran Turismo gameplay works. If you didn't like it, then why did you buy the game?
 
I get what they were doing, and feel the same about grinding, but the problem is that it grinds on ME. I don't want hand me downs or help or the game to finish. My self task is the X1... at level 30 you can earn it, at level 40 you can buy it for a mere cr.20,000,000... or B-spec level 35 you get given one???? Nah, I want to earn the right for it thanks! But I'm level 23....

So I get maybe 2 hours a night to play after work, college work, etc etc and only Sundays free (work ALL of Saturday) and my gf claims sundays since she doesn't get to see me otherwise. So in those 2 hours, I do the same race over and over and over and over.... you get the picture.

AM I TO DO THIS FOR THE NEXT 3 MONTHS???? There is only so many times you can drive a fricking oval.... Eventually I will get tired of this, maybe do other races, probably go back to F1 2010 :o I mean at least in that I was given the chance to prove myself without some level hanging above me quantifying "how good I was" (or how long I had played GT for)....
 
I dont like this idea personally when bad company 2 came out i played online and unlocked the weapons and other things through level progression then a few months later they released the weapon packs on the psn store and anyone could get them if they paid for it. Imo the game would get boring very quick if this was the case here.
 
All we need is credits and xp for online races added to the game and it will take a while to get all the cars but it will be fun doing it.

and some xp even for training would be nice, for example if you beat your own best lap time... :)
 
So, I pose this question: You had to know by now how the Gran Turismo gameplay works. If you didn't like it, then why did you buy the game?

I've read so many posts from people that have played every GT game in the series, that still have a problem with the slow progression of the career mode in GT5, that it's not even funny.

I myself can't stop playing the game. But there is NO denying the flawed leveling system in GT5, even when compared to GT games of the past. All flaws aside, I still can't get enough of the racing/driving. 👍
 
Seriously? You expect people to REALLY think that you are willing to spend X amount of dollars to unlock every car JUST so you can take pictures of them?

As for the leveling up with XP, consider yourself lucky. I feel that XP was added for people who complained about not being able to complete license tests. Go play an older GT game. You couldn't even do a single race until you had your B license. Now you can do it without ANY licenses.

And this whole idea of "Well, I think I should be able to get everything if I pay for it." Welcome to the generation of entitlement that knows basically NOTHING about working to earn things. They are just used to everything being handed out to them and coddled through life. I know its not everyone in the generation, but sometimes it really feels like it.

Then online, why in the world do I want to race against some kid who bought his X1 but knows nothing about driving and is more focused on having his own personal Destruction Derby. (If you don't know what I mean by Destruction Derby, you might be part of the entitlement generation.) If they aren't going for the Destruction Derby they'll be driving all over the track, still manage a win from over powering and be the first to run their mouth about how awesome they are. All while mom and dad are sitting on the couch telling them how their son is awesome at life and will never fail. Because you know, people NEVER fail...

PS. If you hate GT5, please stop playing. It might keep you from complaining to the rest of the world that enjoys it.
 
Back