GT5 Tuning Guides

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 173 comments
One quick question:

Is the ration between ride height and spring rate straight? If I lower ride height by 3mm will I need to tighten spring rates by 3mm?

Absolutely not.

Ride height is a simple linear equation, spring rates are much more complex. As you'll notice by looking at the units specifically, ride height = mm/1 and spring rates kg/mm. Notice that mm is in the denominator for spring rates. Raising the spring rate increases the amount of force needed to compress the spring 1 mm.

Raising the spring rate when lowering the car is essential, as this prevents 'bottoming out', but it is certainly not a linear relationship.

I think it would be great if we had subforum for specific tuning groups such as lion's den performance and so on becuase it would be much easier to search those threads.

I am pretty new to tuning and am still not too sure about tweaking spring rates and ride height. I get the general idea of how they will affect the car, but what are the tell tale signs that the spring rate is too low for the ride height (i.e: car is bottoming out)?

Thanks for your guides, will definitely read them. Though a long time racer, I'm a complete noob to tuning. Want to change that :-)

Looking forward to understand according to what method you best start creating the appropriate tune. So what are the important issues to settle first, and then to work on the details to shave off those final tenths.

Excellent guides Scaff. Helped me to get my foot on the tuning ladder. When you're tuning, what track or tracks do you use to test the results and make adjustments?

What's up with Toe values in the guide vs what it is everywhere else.

The guide says toe in is negative, and out is positive. Shouldn't it be the other way around. Toe in (+) toe out (-)

Did you wikipedia Toe? I think the author of the entry is wrong there.

Imagine two human feet pointed together. Now imagine tires. We call this Toe-In.
Imagine two human feet pointed away from each other. Now imagine tires. We call this Toe-Out.

Think of the exact dead center of a car, as being a point in space that we will call zero. Anything further away from zero would be positive; anything closer, negative.

Take camber for instance - we call it negative camber when the tops of the tires are leaning in, closer to the car. Positive camber when they are leaning out, away from the car.

Maybe I'm wrong. Either way, toe-in and toe-out are straightforward. (No pun intended).

Excellent guides Scaff. Helped me to get my foot on the tuning ladder. When you're tuning, what track or tracks do you use to test the results and make adjustments?

So you didn't read them that closely did you? You tune the car for the track you plan on driving it on. Every track is different. There is no "perfect" end-all-be-all tune that works for every track. Take the most extreme example: If you tune a car on Tsukuba and you get the best possible times over and over, and then go take the car to Special Stage Route 7, chances are that you will not set the best time possible for that course.

Now with that example, if you take another car and tune it on Suzuka or Nord-GP, it might perform well across most tracks but never perfect.

Just friendly advice.

So you didn't read them that closely did you? You tune the car for the track you plan on driving it on. Every track is different. There is no "perfect" end-all-be-all tune that works for every track. Take the most extreme example: If you tune a car on Tsukuba and you get the best possible times over and over, and then go take the car to Special Stage Route 7, chances are that you will not set the best time possible for that course.

Now with that example, if you take another car and tune it on Suzuka or Nord-GP, it might perform well across most tracks but never perfect.

Just friendly advice.
A better way of putting my question would be "Which track or tracks do you feel are best suited to achieving a good general setup?" I am trying to build up a set of cars within certain HP/weight restrictions for use online and given the number of cars and tracks on this game, I think it's un-realistic to try to memorise a perfect setup for all tracks. I apoligise for any confusion caused.

A better way of putting my question would be "Which track or tracks do you feel are best suited to achieving a good general setup?" I am trying to build up a set of cars within certain HP/weight restrictions for use online and given the number of cars and tracks on this game, I think it's un-realistic to try to memorise a perfect setup for all tracks. I apoligise for any confusion caused.

You can't go wrong with Suzuka, Fuji, Nurburgring-GP, Cape Ring, or Grand Valley.

FTR: I wasn't trying to be rude in my first comment, after I re-read it I noticed that it could've come across a little condescending.

Scaff,
much appreciated tuning guide. I "found" 1+ seconds per lap at Suzuka East in my Spec Miata today (0:59.304). Results like this really make the game satisfying.

Thanks again...

You can't go wrong with Suzuka, Fuji, Nurburgring-GP, Cape Ring, or Grand Valley.

FTR: I wasn't trying to be rude in my first comment, after I re-read it I noticed that it could've come across a little condescending.
Thanks! I suppose Deep Forrest and Trial mountain would work well also. No hard feelings either. You may have sounded a little condescending but I sounded vague and stupid. 👍

Hi guyz im new to this tuning thing for GT5, i don't think i was really serious from GT4 when i played it. But anyways, the tuning guide from SCAFF will be reading it soon. Is tuning from GT5 can be apply to real life racing car builder too?:indiff: just wanderin'.

Those guides are sooo gold! Examples of tunes makes all together and now really understand (i think) why something should be on setup as it is..

Brakebias was atleast for me biggest diamond on those guides and braking is now extremely powerful and a help for laptimes is, as we know, huge. Thanks Scaff and looking forward to read new posts on those guides of yours about GT5.

Been away for a few years on Forza but its great to be back for GT5 and first thing I see - Scaff still here doing great work helping others. The guide really was great back in the day and still invaluable today!

I have been messing with my new RX-8 and have already sunk a lot of money into it, but I just cant get it quite right. If anybody has settings that feel good and work well if you could post it up that would be awesome. Thanks

I tried to download these two files, they came out as zip files, so I extracted them, but my computer won't read them. Am I doing something wrong? I am currently running Windows XP.

Scaff

Thanks for the effort & the sharing of your experience. To a tuning noob like myself, you've really helped in initiating some understanding.

In short, it's added a new dimension to the game for me, since realising the vast potential that tuning holds. Previously I was limited to slinging every power inducing addition on to a car, possible and hoping I hit a spot that hadn't destroyed my cars handling ability.

Cheers again!

Back