GT5 Tuning Guides

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 173 comments
i know I'm going to get flamed for this because it'll be posted elsewhere and I'm just too dumb/lazy to look for it, but I gotta ask how come you always have to add 20 mph or so to the 'geared' top speed when you set the gear ratios on the fully adjustable gearbox?

I set for 249 for La Sarthe and the car is maxing out at 232. I figure it can't be aero, cos then I just wouldn't hit the limiter at all.

If you decrease accelerator input, it wil reach a higher top speed.

i know I'm going to get flamed for this because it'll be posted elsewhere and I'm just too dumb/lazy to look for it, but I gotta ask how come you always have to add 20 mph or so to the 'geared' top speed when you set the gear ratios on the fully adjustable gearbox?

I set for 249 for La Sarthe and the car is maxing out at 232. I figure it can't be aero, cos then I just wouldn't hit the limiter at all.

You'll find the point right before the rev limiter "kicks in" and ease off the throttle so you maintain that RPM. (ie. rev limiter @ 8500RPM keep it steady @ 8400) That should be close to the max speed you set in the gearbox options.
20mph sounds a lot though...??

is the gear what give me a torque or it is the clutch .
I have Impreza AWD 1998cc (2.0L) non turbo with 160 bhp model 2006
I lost the feel of torque at 5500 rpm . I already changed the clutch . but still it's same .

is the gear what give me a torque or it is the clutch .
I have Impreza AWD 1998cc (2.0L) non turbo with 160 bhp model 2006
I lost the feel of torque at 5500 rpm . I already changed the clutch . but still it's same .

All of the drivetrain upgrades can change the handling properties of the car and the delivery of torque. Flywheel upgrades, carbon drive shafts, the most noticeable for 4WD is Torque Sensing Center Differential. If you want the manual torque distribution feel then go back to Driver Controlled Center Differential or the Standard Center Differential, whichever came with the car.

All of the drivetrain upgrades can change the handling properties of the car and the delivery of torque. Flywheel upgrades, carbon drive shafts, the most noticeable for 4WD is Torque Sensing Center Differential. If you want the manual torque distribution feel then go back to Driver Controlled Center Differential or the Standard Center Differential, whichever came with the car.

thanks , maybe I need check the Differential oil .it's Standard Center Differential I didn't change it
I miss for that torque :indiff:

I will have a go at answering the actual question you have asked rather than tell you to ease off the throttle to avoid hitting the limiter. Which, before people get offended is a very good idea 👍 because that allows you to run closer ratios and still maintain strong top speed as hitting the limiter drops your speed considerably before the engine kicks in again.
So, the reason why you must set the gear ratios for higher top speed than you actually can reach is quite simple and visually available for you to see. When tuning the transmission look at the ratio graph which shows the spreads between gears, you will notice a horizontal red line across the near-top. This is your engine's rev-limiter. So the answer is, the entire area above this red line in top gear (whatever that may be for each car) is essentially unattainable speed because the engine cannot physically rev fast enough to achieve this speed courtesy of the limiter. :ouch:
My advice, have a look at the transmission ratio graph (every car is different) and take note of how low down the graph the red-line occurs. Set the top speed irrespective of the red-line to what you want to achieve and look how far along the graph the peak point occurs (the light-coloured boxes help alot). Now set the transmission such that where top-gear meets the limiter line is at the same point along the graph as the peak point of the desired top speed. This will allow you to achieve that speed without any worries.
Hope this helps,:)
Xerxes.

Ok, now for what I was reading this thread for;
Thanks alot Scaff! These tuning guides are great. Downloaded them a couple of months ago but only really started using them in the last fortnight. Very comprehensive and helpful. Look forward to the GT5 Revision. Cheers.

Thanks Scaff, I wish I had known about this place, and in particular these docs in the GT4 days 👍

As a mechanic myself, I often find it difficult to get 'real world' application working in GT. Albeit I am a Diesel mechanic and don't generally deal too much with caster, etc, :lol:

Hi Scaff!

I appreciate the time and knowledge put into this guide.
but I do have one question about tuning not covered inside the guide.
Which tracks would you use for tuning each portion of the vehicle?

e.g. specific track or section of track for tuning LSD?

can some one make a youtube video on these guides, i'm more of a visual learner, plus i don't understand half of these auto terminologies, thanx

Scaff

First of all thnx for making these great guides.
There really usefull, I finally have some grip on what results in what in gt5 tuning :).

I have one question.

if lower the front ride height i reduce understeer. does not lowering the rear ride height increase this effect.
In other words if i increase rear ride height does that reduce understeer, But increases my oversteer?

I could have missed it in you're guide though i think i didn't. and although there were info boxes about ride height. i thought they were about changing the ride on one side on not in comparrison to the other side.

i hope you or someone else could answer this

hi all

please help needed!!!!

i have a HPA Motorsport FT565 twin turbo Audi TT - And iam wondering if anyone has used/using this car and have/has mastered it.

Please can you tell me what settings i should use for engine tuning when racing at 500-600 Ppoints. aerodynamics, etc.....

i use the controller not a wheel.

thx in advance to anyone who is willing to give me some info

Thanks for these guides mate. Even though I have been playing GT since the beginning, I did not truelly get the finer points of tuning. This helps a lot. Thanks.

Amazing stuff Scaff, well done.. It all completely changed my approach to tuning through your guides, seems like I was doing it backwards this whole time.. It was a nice mix of theory and then back on(GT) point. After six hours of reading and testing bit by bit in your "tuning order" I think I nailed my first FF Lightweight car:)

Anyways, cheers :cheers:

Scaff, thank you for all the time invested in those guides. Just stop playing to thank you, finally understand and put some really nice tunings to my rides

jimmyblaze
is the Scaff gt5 guide out yet?

Nope... Not yet...
And if it was, it would have been in the OP.
But go ahead with those for gt4, as the principles are exactly the same. :)

Just to update, version 2 of my app, Gran Turismo Tuning Guide for iOS (iPhone), is released! It includes a My Garage area to store your tunes in your pocket, and a brand new Tuning Wizard that calculate all suspension and LSD settings! Check the link in my sig.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hello GT Tuners
I need help finding out which area's are to be tuned first. I have scaff's guide & other's that I have found while trying to understand tuning. I need to know where do I start? Suspension? LSD?

I just wanted to say thanks for the guide! This was exactly what I was hoping to find on gtp today.

I've briefly read through the first pages of the guide and will read some more tomorrow (I'm really tired and will hit the sack soon). Still I thought "now I know a little bit more about preventing my oversteer and maybe I can make my Honda NSX Raybrig 06 go smoother through tilted corners. So I made a few quick changes that I learned on the spring rates and drive height-pages and off I went to the track for a few laps. It turned out that I have dropped my avg-lap with 2 secs and lowered my PB with 1 sec on the track for my next race. The oversteer-problem is gone and I hardly notice the curbs.

So once again thanks!:cheers:

Out of curiosity, is there a guide somewhere which spells out which settings are backwards and which ones work as they do in the real world? It's very confusing for those of us with adjustable suspensions on our real-world cars to begin tuning a car in GT4/5, only to find out that the opposite of reality is happening...

A clear concise guide on tuning in "GT land" with zero references to real-world tuning might actually be helpful...

Back