GT5 versions update question

• Thread starter Old Guy
  • 84 comments
United States
United States
Hi all, I am new here and still driving with GT5 on PS3 offline. Lately, my PS3 died and I used the heat gun trick and changed thermal paste to bring it back to life. Lucky, lucky. So I want to copy my GT5 game data to a thumb drive before it dies again in the future. However, as I said before, I have been offline since the beginning and probably still in Version 1.0 in which the data copying is locked. I need to update to a certain version before I can copy. I need help on how to do it since even my PS3 is connected to internet now, there is no update prompt shows up nor there is any button for me to "check for update".

Do I have to have an account in Playstation Network before I can update?

I am an old guy that don't want to take my real cars to the real tracks anymore, so only race in GT5 and indoor GoKart racing. Don't want to lost all the tracks and cars in GT5 and forced to go to PS4 or 5 with GT games where I have to spend days to get some tracks open up.

Any instruction is appreciated.

Hello @Old Guy on the ps3 main menu whilst connected to the internet highlight the gran turismo 5 game logo, press triangle button and you should get a list of options, check for update should be there...Hope this helps, I just recently installed on a fresh machine, think there were 27 updates it downloads in order....

Yes I did that but no “check update” showed up. So I logged in to PS network by creating an acc, now it shows up. Lots of updates, 27 of them. Going to do a few and stop like YouTube video recommend so it won’t bomb out. May be a few versions up already let me copy data.

Thanks anyway, appreciated.

@fordlaser , @JakeMR2 , thanks guys. I have bought some copies for my multiscreen rig, with the eventual hope of going online with it. Is there any particular path I should take/not take with regards to installing updates?

There is No path just install the updates and have fun with GT5.
Just to confirm, I can install all the updates and then do things to the PS3 (that we cant talk about here) to enable me to play it online. i.e. I don't want to install something that patches a vulnerability that i might want to exploit!

EDIT - Also asked in the modding thread

Last edited:
Just to confirm, I can install all the updates and then do things to the PS3 (that we cant talk about here) to enable me to play it online. i.e. I don't want to install something that patches a vulnerability that i might want to exploit!

EDIT - Also asked in the modding thread
If you want to do those thing, you need to be on version 2.11 and you can do a lot more with the GT5 garage editor. You have to install about 21 updates but it all depends what GT5 version you have got.

Last edited:
If you want to do those thing, you need to be on version 2.11 and you can do a lot more with the GT5 garage editor. You have to install about 21 updates but it all depends what GT5 version you have got.
I bought 4 X the standard version (not platinum edition or anything)

Last edited:
Hmm, cant seem to get any GT5 updates going? It just says it is "fully updated to current version" - even though it is on 2.00? Even when I am logged in to PSN, I even bought a car and did a race to get some data saved, in case that was causing an issue. Still no good. Have the finally taken the updates offline?

Hmm, cant seem to get any GT5 updates going? It just says it is "fully updated to current version" - even though it is on 2.00? Even when I am logged in to PSN, I even bought a car and did a race to get some data saved, in case that was causing an issue. Still no good. Have the finally taken the updates offline?
It's Sony servers acting up.

Yup as far as I know, they are still down.
I have done certain things that mean that it is no longer an issue for me.
The things I have done have other benefits.
I now race other people online in GT5!!!!
If you are interested in this and need any help getting it done, PM me.

If you have a modded PS3, you can use psnstuff to search BCUS98114 updates (even if you have the XL version like me, so you ignore updates below 2.00. The SKU code for the XL version fails to find updates because it has a different SKU code than the base game). I updated recently from the console and didnt had any issues, but I still download update packages as a backup. Unfortunately the PS3 Game Updater for some reason fails to download them, I find it way better to do this than psnstuff, which for some reason can't stack update packages to download one right after the other like PS3 Game Updater does, but for "alternate" packages it does this fine.

Last edited:
Still down here too, ended up having to download them from a Pastebin link (official Playstation links too, so why that still works is even more weird) when setting up my 20gb JB model last month.

With the recent report today on PS3, PSP and Vita stores shutting down this year, I wonder if this is some premature closure or it really is just a server issue and they haven't really been bothered to fix it. Would be good if it was, still gotta reinstall it on a Super Slim I recently got.

With the recent report today on PS3, PSP and Vita stores shutting down this year, I wonder if this is some premature closure or it really is just a server issue and they haven't really been bothered to fix it. Would be good if it was, still gotta reinstall it on a Super Slim I recently got.
That's a baseless rumor for now, Sony has yet to say anything about it yet officially.

And it looked to be true, official statement today. Though it looks like it's only affecting the store, Download list and so on will still be up (for however long that'll be), so game updates should still be fine. Yet not GT5 still currently?

And it looked to be true, official statement today. Though it looks like it's only affecting the store, Download list and so on will still be up (for however long that'll be), so game updates should still be fine. Yet not GT5 still currently?
Yep the GT5 update are currently not working for some unknown reason. I emailed Playstation support last week about the GT5 updates. After a few emails back & forth about the issue and they said it was a problem with my PS3. So I ended up sending the some pictures and then they said, one of our expert are looking into to it, but I am still waiting for an email from them.

@JakeMR2 updates are not there for us anyway.

Last edited:
@JakeMR2 updates are not there for us anyway.
Your not gonna get anywhere with support at all, I know they still work as I downloaded them manually (modified my PS3 a long time ago), but I'm sure they still work. At least for the US side of things, it's not like all the game's don't work when they update.

Edit: Tried my original Burnout disc it did fetch the updates. It's a GT5 issue on Sony's end.

Last edited:
Your not gonna get anywhere with support at all, I know they still work as I downloaded them manually (modified my PS3 a long time ago), but I'm sure they still work. At least for the US side of things, it's not like all the game's don't work when they update.

Edit: Tried my original Burnout disc it did fetch the updates. It's a GT5 issue on Sony's end.
They said three days ago and they are going to look into the issue, and they said they will contact me in a few days time. If they don't contact me I will just send email to them, about my innocence number I got with them.

Last edited:
They said three days ago and they are going to look into the issue, and they said they will contact me in a few days time. If they don't contact me I will just send email to them, about my innocence number I got with them.
Something tells me they won't, support can only do so much. It's more than likely a server issue that they probably know needs fixing. I don't see it going too far. I feel like they're just delaying it in your case.

Latest Posts

Back