GT5's reaction to EA's lock down on Porsche, Pagani Huayra, etc.

• Thread starter pasigiri
  • 626 comments
You are wrong. Turn10 owns the exclusiv Ferrari license on console.
They allowed EA, Sony, ... to use it. They mentioned that exclusiv Manufacture Deals are worse for Gamer.
Sorry but that is not correct. MS (not T10 - T10 are simply a MS owned studio) currently hold the Ferrari licence for the 360 and PC platforms, not for anything else.

Which is exactly why the Ferrari Challenge titles came out for the PS3, DS and Wii but not for the 360 or PC.

MS has made Deals with Sony for years now. For example Vaio, etc.
I'm well aware of that, it just has nothing to do with this at all.

They dont hate each other like some fans do :)
This I'm also aware of and once again it has nothing to do with this.

You seem to be implying that I'm having a dig at MS/T10 here, nothing could be further from the truth.

Scaff

Jay
30 Porsche cars, 7 of which are new to Forza, a bunch of new Porsche events (AI will also now use Porsches), some extra gamerscore and achievements. Price 1600 MS points (20 USD). Comes out May 22nd.

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/en-us/porsche_expansion_announce/

Thank you Jay that was very helpful and makes me happy for my FM4, too bad the ol' XBox is dead.

Another blow to GT5's head, but at least GT5 is getting Bathurst so I'll still be playing both.

This hasn't been set in stone yet has it? Also even if it has, the only way Bathurst is worth it to some is the introduction of Aussie cars as well. A full blown Aussie content would boost GT5 ten fold I think. I agree though this is a blow to PD with that many cars being added at once to FM4, T10 made a hell of a deal that's for sure.

GT5 is getting Bathurst so I'll still be playing both.

I don't think GT5 will be getting Bathurst. It takes a long time to create a track so it won't be completed anytime soon... GT6 is the game that will be getting Bathurst, not GT5. Also, Sony and Polyphony Digital want people to purchase GT6, they won't be selling Bathurst as GT5 DLC because it would provide less incentive for people to purchase GT6. Spa is a good example of the time it takes to create a track... Spa's name was seen on a file list on PD's computers during a studio tour prior to GT5's release, the track was not released until mid-2011, therefore it took roughly a year to create that track. It's very likely that Bathurst won't be completed until early 2013 and by then GT5 will be quite old and GT6 will likely be released in 2013. (assuming GT6 is based on GT5.)

(All my opinion of course, but it's logical.)

X-Power
I don't think GT5 will be getting Bathurst. It takes a long time to create a track so it won't be completed anytime soon... GT6 is the game that will be getting Bathurst, not GT5. Also, Sony and Polyphony Digital want people to purchase GT6, they won't be selling Bathurst as GT5 DLC because it would provide less incentive for people to purchase GT6. Spa is a good example of the time it takes to create a track... Spa's name was seen on a file list on PD's computers during a studio tour prior to GT5's release, the track was not released until mid-2011, therefore it took roughly a year to create that track. It's very likely that Bathurst won't be completed until early 2013 and by then GT5 will be quite old and GT6 will likely be released in 2013. (assuming GT6 is based on GT5.)

(All my opinion of course, but it's logical.)

I think people will buy gt6 regardless of whether bathurst is in it or not and im sure pd are aware of this.

Yeah, nor do I, especially if they've only just started working on it.

We don't know for sure that they've done no work on it previously though, they could have been doing follow-up scans for example last week.

This hasn't been set in stone yet has it? Also even if it has, the only way Bathurst is worth it to some is the introduction of Aussie cars as well. A full blown Aussie content would boost GT5 ten fold I think. I agree though this is a blow to PD with that many cars being added at once to FM4, T10 made a hell of a deal that's for sure.

Well I think driving Bathurst in any car is pretty special, it doesn't have to be Australian.

I'd say Bathurst might come for DLC sometime towards the end of the year, but they might wait for GT6 to bring in the V8 Supercars.

I think people will buy gt6 regardless of whether bathurst is in it or not and im sure pd are aware of this.

But would more people buy it with a new, exclusive track? Australians in particular? Probably yes.

Bathurst is such a big draw I don't see any logic in releasing it as DLC into a game that after 15 months is pretty much dead, commercially speaking. It's a waste of a big asset, that's why they put Spa out first. Releasing that now wouldn't have made much sense either. As every day passes more and more people become less interested in the game, it's only natural.

Probably they will pay too for Porsche license in GT6. Although via DLC they can sell a lot and obviously include in GT6 as well. Same for Bathurst.

People are forgetting this Porsche DLC pack for FM4 is a short-term agreement - it doesn't even confirm Porsche will be in following Forza games, its terms only apply to this DLC pack.

EA will still have exclusive rights, and they can determine the price on a per-customer basis - whatever T10 had to pay, PD could very well have to pay more, if EA so decides. A few years ago, there was an interview with Kaz stating that they typically don't pay for licenses for GT - usually, companies approach them, but that was A, years ago (as in, early PS2 days, if memory serves, and my Google-fu is not finding anything), and B, before Ferrari and Lambo popped into the series, so we have to wonder if they've changed their minds about paying for certain licenses.

This new pack changes little - it just shows that MS/T10 were willing to cough up whatever amount EA was asking, for this particular situation. PD has proven time and again they won't pay for Porsche, and the asking price is unlikely to fall any time soon. If the GT series is already selling very well, compared to all other racing games, it'd be hard to convince the bean-counters that dropping a large chunk of money on a single marque would be worth the investment. Especially considering the insanely large budget GT5 already had.

A few years ago, there was an interview with Kaz stating that they typically don't pay for licenses for GT - usually, companies approach them, but that was A, years ago (as in, early PS2 days, if memory serves, and my Google-fu is not finding anything), and B, before Ferrari and Lambo popped into the series, so we have to wonder if they've changed their minds about paying for certain licenses.
Hmm, the situation has clearly changed then, as Kaz told PlayStation Chronicle last year that they pay a license fee for all the cars to include in GT. Part of that interview was reported by GTP.

https://www.gtplanet.net/kazunori-wanted-another-2-years-for-gt5-development/

Wrong. Turn10 can put EA under pressure with the Ferrari license and a former MS staff is working for EA now.

So? I don't see how that made my statement wrong..

I wish PD would be more open about their work on Gran Turismo. I don't like waiting months for a measly tweet from Kaz. I want to hear what they're up to and if they have an answer to Turn10 and thier Porsche pack.

I wish PD would be more open about their work on Gran Turismo. I don't like waiting months for a measly tweet from Kaz. I want to hear what they're up to and if they have an answer to Turn10 and thier Porsche pack.

Ditto, but it's never been like that (PD being outspoken). And probably never will. It's part of the Eastern culture.

When you look to Turn10, an American company, you see the Western, U.S. culture in full bloom. Very loud and proud. Shuffling videos out often to create hype. It works!

Does EA's licence cover the dauer 962 and schuppen 962? They seem to be just based off a Porsche rather than being a modified one however i'm not sure

There's probably nothing interesting to talk about on a day-to-day basis. The studio is busy making cars and tracks, with other parts deep in development of other stuff. When that stuff gets finished, they'll talk about it. They're not that different to other studios really... just a bit more unorthodox :sly: It's definitely frustrating though.

If not Porsche, can PD at least go through the effort to give us more (and new) RUFs, Gemballas, 9ff's, etc.?

I reckon Porsche is still a priority for PD and that they may be in talks with EA over licensing. If PD had given up on Porsche, we would would have started seeing premium RUFs by now.

If anyone is to blame for our Porsche related misery, it's Porsche itself. If I remember correctly, EA - Porsche deal has been renewed numerous times; why on earth would Porsche lock itself with EA! scratch that, the question I should be asking is why would a company like EA offer Porsche with a deal so sweet that it's willing to give up the licensing rights. The whole situation has crazy written all over it.

Anyway, one can always dream of an awesome GT6 - hopefully the PS4 would have a GPU that's, at least, on par with the 7850. High res shadows, photo mode shaders and textures in game play, 24 cars on track, livery editor and all the original tracks.

I would take RUF over porsche as long as they don't support EA's monopoly!

Imagine every manufacturer selling their license to game company. You would not have any more games like forza or gt, because they would not be able to afford the money to subcontract all the manufacturers. EA's business plan if adopted by others will hurt us, the gamers more then anyone.

Last edited:
There's probably nothing interesting to talk about on a day-to-day basis. The studio is busy making cars and tracks, with other parts deep in development of other stuff. When that stuff gets finished, they'll talk about it. They're not that different to other studios really... just a bit more unorthodox :sly: It's definitely frustrating though.

Day to day maybe not but they could at least have a weekly/fortnightly/monthly blog to tell us what they're doing. They don't even fully tell us what they're doing in updates, for example they changed the chase camera in one update and changed it back in the next update, not telling us about it in either. A simple blog post telling us why they changed it and then why they changed it back would involve the community so much more.

The title of this thread is 'GT5's reaction to EA's lock down on Porsche, Pagani Huayra, etc.' and as far as we know 3 months on, they have had no reaction whatsoever.

I reckon Porsche is still a priority for PD and that they may be in talks with EA over licensing. If PD had given up on Porsche, we would would have started seeing premium RUFs by now.

If anyone is to blame for our Porsche related misery, it's Porsche itself. If I remember correctly, EA - Porsche deal has been renewed numerous times; why on earth would Porsche lock itself with EA! scratch that, the question I should be asking is why would a company like EA offer Porsche with a deal so sweet that it's willing to give up the licensing rights. The whole situation has crazy written all over it.

Anyway, one can always dream of an awesome GT6 - hopefully the PS4 would have a GPU that's, at least, on par with the 7850. High res shadows, photo mode shaders and textures in game play, 24 cars on track, livery editor and all the original tracks.

Not exactly. More Ruf's are not going to sell a tonne of games. In my opinion. PD will soon enough give up on shelling out content for GT5. It's been nothing more then a right royal pain in the arse since release date for them but thats due to their own issues in trying to stick too much into a game that the console could not handle.

I said it a while back, Polyphony would have doubled the amount of premium cars we have now built up, but have very little intention of releasing them. They're not interested in making crap loads of money out of the user base because they quite frankly, don't have to. You can point out T10, but they shift half as many games, thus, their profit margins on actual games are lowered hence the reason they chuck out a new version every two years.

It still baffles me that people are willing to shell out for every track back in Forza, despite the fact they'll be effectively buying twice within that period. DLC is not a bad thing, but like with EA and Tigerwoods and COD, T10 milk it for all it's worth.

More then anything for PD, the lists we have on this forum are fantastic for future product development. It's first hand research without lifting a finger especially in such large quantity.

If not Porsche, can PD at least go through the effort to give us more (and new) RUFs, Gemballas, 9ff's, etc.?

Of those firms, only Ruf is officially (according to German law) a manufacturer, the other ones are tuning firms which would still need a Porsche license for those cars to make an appearance in GT5.

Latest Posts

Back