GT6 1.21 Updated Sound Thread

• Thread starter FoRiZon
  • 295 comments
Are these sound changes on all views or just a certain one or two? Because I've tested a few cars but only using exterior sound and I've been noticing no difference besides a slight change for the Aston Martin VGT.

I not to happy with the way alot of cars sound now. The Ford Mustang SVT Cobra sound was changed & that is one car I wish still had the old sound. The 2005 Mustang also had its old sound changed which is a shame. Nearly all the Chevrolets in the game now have the same generic V8 sound now not their own like before. The Subaru Imprezas & Legacys are nothing like they used to be. I've being putting all the ones I am unhappy with in the stockyard. When Atari did this with Test Drive Unlimited 2 back in 2012 there were cars I never drove again since they sounded horrible to me.

The only cars I approve of is the 2011 Lexus sedan & the Holden Commodore & Monaro so far. I am very suprised those two got their sounds changed.

Why they didn't just add option on sound menu where you can change this channel flatten version or stay on old, or even better add a equaliser where you can adjust your channel mix by your self.

I really hope Polyphony Digital does add that option to the game. Unless they do there are alot of cars I'll never drive again.

Last edited:
Not for people like me who are bored stupid of racing & prefer to just cruise now. So sound is more important than performance.
what...

I think this game is pointless without racing.

For going cruising I will use my real car or my dad's oldschool bike

Does anyone else think this is just a move to free up some system resources?

Sound like they've removed unique samples and replaced them with existing ones, effectively reducing the total number of samples in operation. They did this when GT5 became GT6; McLaren 12C, Supra RZ etc.

A lot of these new sounds make very little sense.

@Griffith500 Your thoughts?

That rasp sound left from my audio earlier, after setting channel balance and surround delay on version 1.20. No change on 1.21, except bass is driven now more on front/center speakers.

The rasp sound is still there. And it sounds very subtly different, somehow thinner and "cheaper". Combined with the "cheaper" sounding exhaust flow noise, this is interesting.

How you get DTS thru optical?

Ah, I forgot that GT defaults to DD over optical. Just disable it in the PS3's sound output options. Except that I was lying, I'm actually using Dolby Digital myself now, but I used to use DTS for my PC's soundcard input for sound capturing experiments.

Does anyone else think this is just a move to free up some system resources?

Sound like they've removed unique samples and replaced them with existing ones, effectively reducing the total number of samples in operation. They did this when GT5 became GT6; McLaren 12C, Supra RZ etc.

A lot of these new sounds make very little sense.

@Griffith500 Your thoughts?

I agree that some resources were freed here, but not with the samples. Those are only loaded per car into memory when you load the track etc., so changing which car gets which samples won't affect that (it loads copies for each car, regardless, as a kind of failsafe). The tweaks were mainly to processing costs, I think. However, it's unlikely to be making room for sound now, given they're actually making new sample sets and tweaking old allocations. That would be wasted effort if they were going to replace it wholesale (say, with AES) before GT7.

I still think it's for Ronda, but we don't yet know why the course maker proper was delayed.

I personally think PD's sample library is very poorly catalogued; for instance, if they want a V8 sound, they seem too often to pick a flat-plane sound when a cross-plane is required (and there are instances of the opposite happening, too). Inline sixes are often mis-matched in similar ways (but those differences are far more subtle). There also seems to be a second school of thought, rather than going by the catalogue, simply going "by ear". That applies to many of the cars that received special attention since GT5's release, including updates to GT5 and these recent changes for GT6 - but the samples used only bear a very superficial resemblance, almost like a robot chose them. (I'm thinking of some arty type, with total technical obliviousness, remembering that sage wisdom "engine sounds are stochastic", not realising they are in fact perfectly periodical and we have the world's best Fourier analyser connected to each ear).

I don't have an explanation for that. I'd have thought that all the sound designers would long have been playing with PD's new generation system by now, and that would automatically delineate engine "types" for them, and they would be well trained in picking them out as a result. Unless these are the new kids on the block, making the same mistakes the old guard (themselves all busy with the advanced system) did. :crazy:

Last edited:
Honda S2000 Type V 03' deeper, doesn't have that high rpm whine

Noticed it with the the other variants as well including tuners but won't confirm with certainty.

Some of the NASCAR cars sound different.

As far as I've seen so far:

2013 #43 Aric Almirola sounds deeper, throatier almost.
2013 #18 Kyle Busch sounds the same.
2013 #20 Matt Kenseth sounds high pitched, almost no bass to it.

Will look at more today if need be.

The Ferrari Enzo + racing exhaust sounds much more like a V12 now. Also, turbo noises seem to be more distinct, I noticed it on my Lotus Elise, and especially on the 4.2 V8 Audi R8.

In a good way? I love both cars and I hope the sound is now better (Can't test it myself in the next days)
The Option sound bit closer to the real thing. But still bad.

The Amuse sounds like the newer GT1 Turbo now. Whatever its a good thing or not depends since i think both sounds rubbish originally.

I'm thinking of some arty type, with total technical obliviousness, remembering that sage wisdom "engine sounds are stochastic", not realising they are in fact perfectly periodical and we have the world's best Fourier analyser connected to each ear
You sum it up so eloquently :D
I still think it's for Ronda, but we don't yet know why the course maker proper was delayed.
Yeah, I was thinking somewhat along those lines. It was just a intuitive hunch though, I have very little knowledge about how GT6 uses the system resources. I just got a picture in my head of Gary Sinise in the movie Apollo 13, trying to figure out how to manage the re-entry procedure on 20 amps, if that makes any sense :lol:

The rasp sound is still there. And it sounds very subtly different, somehow thinner and "cheaper". Combined with the "cheaper" sounding exhaust flow noise, this is interesting.
Bass note is mixed now with sounds what where going to front and center speakers, flattens bass peaks, earlier mix bass was nearly alone going on bass channel and surround channel, and it was clean note, not anymore.
That rasp comes because of not sync surround delay to other speakers, earlier 1.20 and my well setup with surround delay optimization tuning showed that.
It's not rasp after update, but flatten a lot.

1. Turbo and Supercharger whine is now more pronounced.
2. The gear while is more pronounced on replay view but less so in hood view.
3. The car has essentially more clearer sounds and also more rasp.

I should put that on the OP if i can as the general changes.

Candidate for deletion because, just play fully now, while it does sounds less whiney, its not as significant as say Focus ST, Copen, RUF Yellowbird, Audi R8 4.2, etc
1. Mustang Transcammer.
2. Lexus LFA Nurburgring

Don't think so. Because as I said the RS200 sounds completely different.

It looks like they're fiddling about with the existing samples, which is odd. You'd think with the development of AES they would be focussing more on getting that up to scratch.

Oh well...

Edit: Actually, it sounds more like the the sound engine (as in, the method through which the sounds are played back) has been tweaked, rather than the sounds themselves. I've tried a number of cars (Corvette C7, R8, new NSX), and they all sound clearer and crisper, with less of the buzzy, hissing noise.

I think that was the main focus, as opposed to actually changing specific cars.

There is too less bass. I used to really enjoy some car sounds somehow. Now it's all gone.. Why?

Even if for some cars they are moving to the right, more accurate direction, I found the lack of bass quite disappointing. :(

Used to like the RUF sounds a lot more. Like Griffith500 said, the turbo ones have a lot more hiss... so it lost the good bass it used to have.

Bass note is mixed now with sounds what where going to front and center speakers, flattens bass peaks, earlier mix bass was nearly alone going on bass channel and surround channel, and it was clean note, not anymore.
That rasp comes because of not sync surround delay to other speakers, earlier 1.20 and my well setup with surround delay optimization tuning showed that.
It's not rasp after update, but flatten a lot.
We're not talking about the same thing, I don't think. I'm referring to PD's sound synthesis system, as demonstrated on the Red Bull, Senna and some VGT cars. There is an emulation of the raspiness of exhaust pipes that has changed.

I'm not able to comment on changes to individual channels, because I use a virtualisation of the surround "field". I do feel that the mix overall could be described as more bassy, but I wasn't sure if that was partly due to a volume change (I kept the volume the same so I could A/B the update).

Back