GT6 Duel of the Week #70: The Grand Finale (well, not really)

• Thread starter Cowboy
  • 1,338 comments
Specs for both cars after purchase:

Audi R8 5.2 FSI Quattro '09
518 hp / 8,000 rpm
391 ft-lb / 6,500 rpm
1,620 kg (3,571 lbs)
540 pp

Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4 '08
552 hp / 8,000 rpm
399 ft-lb / 6,500 rpm
1,410 kg (3,109 lbs)
546 pp

Lamborghini has the advantage everywhere, with 34 more horses and 8 more ft-lbs of torque, plus a curb weight 462 lbs less than the Audi.

Mid-Field Raceway. Comfort Soft tires.

And the V8 R8 for good measure:

Audi looks better in my opinion, but they can't hang with Lamborghini.

The Gallardo. The lower end model for Lamborghini, packing ~550 HP, and a mid mounted 4WD. It's a neat car, especially with the sound it has. GT6 treats this car with some trickiness when being driven. It likes to slide in corners since the engine is mid mounted, but is controllable with its 4WD. Acceleration is good, and needless to say, the sound when accelerating is magnificent. Aero mods are good, in fact you can even recreate the Superleggera version or male it look like a race car.

The R8. The big boy in Audi's lineup, this is close to the Gallardo. It has a V10, 4WD, ~550 HP, and a mid mounted engine. This car though, felt more forgiving when used aggressively. For me it didn't slide as much or have the urge for snap oversteer. I just drove more like a civilian car, but it felt a little boring because it was just so, plain. Even in the GT Auto, there are no aero parts that can be added which is a bit of a disappointment. My choice here is close, but in the end I like a car that dares you to challenge it, so I choose.....

The Gallardo

Both cars tested at Rome, no aids except ABS 1.

Gallardo: 1:15.898
R8: 1:14.350

And the votes:

Gallardo: 6
R8: 1

And the clear winner is.....

lamborghini-gallardo-lp560-4-2008-6.jpg

The '08 Gallardo!!!

Congrats to @Draggon for getting the winning time of 1:13.047 in the R8 and for getting the winning time of 1:12.818 in the Gallardo! Stop hee tomorrow for the next duel of the week!​

This week's duel is one that features a car that has been long requested and a car that was tuned to be a bigger beast than before. These two are real competitors in their division and aren't for the faint of heart.This week's duel is.....

ferrari_458_02.jpg

The 2009 Ferrari 458 Italia

vs

_gtr_nismo_135_0.jpg

The 2014 Nissan GT-R Nismo!!!

V8 vs six-cylinder, MR vs 4WD, Europe vs Japan, should be a great battle. This week's time trial will take place at the Nürburgring. No, not the Nordshliefe, but the much shorter GP/F version, which still requires attention in order to set a proficient time. With that, let the battle begin.​

Amazing duel this week!

The Ferrari 458, a superb driving car, precision and pace, one of the best soundtracks in the game, but an absolute riot when the traction control is cut...

image.jpeg

The Nissan GT-R Nismo, 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, previously known for hanging with Giants, the GT-R has now become one itself with this itteration, Godzilla is complete.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looking forward to the duel. I love both cars equally here. I'd like to say the GT-R is better in every way, but it is quite tall, and the under steer it has may be the Ferrari's trump card. Looks like it's Yokohama vs Maranello, I'll see them both on the track later.

In terms of performance, it's pretty much a tie on Trial Mountain (comfort softs, ABS on) :

Ferrari 458 Italia 01:33,699
Nissan GT-R Nismo 01:33,735

But I prefer the Ferrari much more than the GT-R : the Nissan feels front-heavy, and you have to drive it in a special way to benefit fully from the ATTESA-ETS and unlock its potential - otherwise it feels like a top-chopped truck with gazillions of power and unlimited traction (and also understeer). The Ferrari feels much more like a sports car, nimble, and nicely balanced (to my taste at least), I even find it easier to drive for me. Also, the Nismo R35 isn't helped by the fact the Mine's R34 is as fast on this track, while feeling quite better to drive. Moreover, while the Nismo is the souped up version, the 458 is still the "base" model (the Speciale is not in the game though).

Fun stuff : I organized a battle event online between the F430 and the 2007 GT-R (alongside the Corvette C6 Z06), and the lap times are as close as here.

So 458 winner for me.

I think the GT-R is too overrated, and the 458 is overused for one-make.

I'll test both vehicles at Serres (a recreation I had got).

Ferrari 458 Italia ’09 vs Nissan GT-R Nismo ’14

This is my first comparison so be gentle :). Had a lot of fun doing this, a nice way to enjoy GT6 in a different manner.

Looks & Paint – Ferrari 458 Italia ’09
458 Italia: Sleek, sophisticated and beautiful sports car that comes with a whopping 26 (all usable) paint chips.
GT-R Nismo: Big heavy bulky beast. It does have a cool interior view.

Sound – Nissan GT-R Nismo ’14
458 Italia: A bit thin and it never really screams.
GT-R Nismo: Very nice raspy, throaty sound that changes character through the rev range. And a turbo swoosh! :D

Specs & Value – Nissan GT-R Nismo ’14
458 Italia: 571 hp / 540 nm / 1485 kg / 559 pp / SH / 283.000
GT-R Nismo: 600 hp / 652 nm / 1720 kg / 574 pp / SS / 154.440 - A lot more bang for your buck!

Performance – Nissan GT-R Nismo ’14
458 Italia: Slower by several seconds on a 2 minute TT lap (edit: on original tires!). In arcade it’s much faster than the AI, giving boring races, often taking the lead on the first lap. Nice cars in the AI field, like Gallardo, Yellowbird, RGT, 8C, Huayra, MP4. They are just not fast enough.

GT-R Nismo: Because the Nismo is a tuner car it is matched against a field of mostly race cars, with an odd Red Devil thrown in for good measure. They match the performance of the GT-R almost perfectly, leading to thrilling races and very fun battles for 2nd or 3rd place, with some good action along the way. One of the best AI experiences I’ve had in GT6!

Handling & FFB – Both!
458 Italia: Squirrely and jumpy on rough roads. Power oversteer, understeers in slow corners. Engaging to drive, fun to slide around.
GT-R Nismo: Rock solid! Very balanced. Easy to correct little mistakes. Early on the power on corner exit. You can feel it searching for grip, but it will keep its line as long as the steering wheel is pointed in the right direction.

Overall winner - Nissan GT-R Nismo ’14 :cheers:

Last edited:
After putting down a few fun laps at Nurburgring GP/F I was surprised at how nice the GTR was, solid with a lot of grip, and pulled very hard out of the corners thanks to that 4wd. Then I jumped into the Ferrari. Not quite as grippy, brakes felt weak, lots of wheelspin out of the corners.

Then came my warm up lap. One second slower than my hot lap in the Nissan. After a few laps of really pushing hard I improved my time by another 3 seconds. I had no idea that Ferrari was so fast.

Verdict: Ferrari!

That's a top notch duel! Well done!

My selection will always be F458 no matter what is the opponent since it is the best in the handling-fun-sound pleasant combination of all supercars of this gen up to half a million. GTR Nismo is great to break laptime records indeed. F458 is good on the road too though with Nismo's suspension setup only for trackdays being harsh.

With both of them being very good in GT6 as far as handling goes and with the 458 being a much funnier to drive around and enjoy its sound, Ferrari is the clear winner. In my opinion of course.

I wish we had the even greater 458 Speciale (more track focused) in GT6 to compare to the Nismo...

0 Title Card.jpg

2009 Ferrari 458 Italia vs 2014 Nissan GT-R Nismo Review/Comparison
"Yokohama versus Maranello, Godzilla versus Big Ben (Racing Horse), 4wd versus Rwd", Tuner versus Purebred"

image.jpeg

Today we have two immensely popular supercars online going toe-to-toe, head to head, face to face, back to back, mano e mano, hand-to-hand. This week should stack up to be an interesting duel as both have similar performance and a cult following at their feet.

The 2014 GT-R Nismo is a tuned version of the already mighty GT-R. As a successor of sorts to the old R33/4 Nismo tuned cars, this has quite the reputation to uphold as a master of the mountain passes and of the circuit. With the fastest production car record on the Nurburgring, 0-60 times of below 3 seconds, and high downforce parts with sticky tires, this GT-R is already guaranteed a spot as a future classic.

The Ferrari 458 Italia is the successor to the successful F430. It succeeded in royally smacking the 430 Scuderia when it came out and cemented itself as the ultimate mid-engine Ferrari, until the 488 came out and smacked it. The car features a radical new design, while being evolutionary at the same time. At certain angles you can see the 430 and Enzo peeking through, yet it invented Ferrari's new love-it-hate-it design language that we see today. The car features 570hp out of the beautifully sounding V8, and revs to 9,000 rpm, making it my favourite engine in a mainstream supercar. My favourite engines are from some other cars... (Zonda C12, Mazda RX-7 etc.)

1 Test Drive and Lap Times.jpg

First round today, I took them down to Cape Ring South to get a good feel and record some times.

The Nissan GT-R felt very front-heavy, combined with the super high downforce made for some frustrating understeer in long corners. The acceleration made up for some of that though, blasting out of them and down the straightaways. Overall once I got used to it I tried to brake a little earlier to slow down the car so I could turn more freely with less air pushing the GT-R into the tarmac. Overall even without traction control off it wasn't a very engaging drive, feels like typing up a document rather than driving a purebred supercar. There's no emotion and it feels soulless and mechanical, almost like turning the easy mode on for the game. Not enough risk-reward for driving it I guess.

On the other hand, the Ferrari 458 is one of the most engaging drives in the game. The nose is so planted that you can just line up your apexes perfectly. The car with TC on is very fast and responsive in the corners, mild understeer but easy to fix. Without TC it's a whole different beast. Powersliding everywhere, begging you to tame the bucking horse. Drifting the car once you get the hang of it is very fun, and it can be a deadly weapon in the right hands. It's my most driven car in GT6 and one of my first purchases. I loved it in GT5, and the GT6 physics engine really does this car so much justice.

COMFORT SOFT LAP TIME - CAPE RING SOUTH

Nissan GT-R NISMO: 1:21.620
Ferrari 458 Italia: 1:21.450
+0.170

After pushing both cars to their limits, and not being able to go any faster, I counted the fastest laps and the performance is similar, but the Ferrari has the slight edge, so this round is the Ferrari's.

2 Drag Race.jpg

I took them both down to the 4-km drag-strip. Both cars launch equally and have enough space to reach their top speeds just before the finish line. The GT-R obviously got off the line quicker, but the 458 caught up, having a slight advantage in top speed.

SPEED TRAP - EIFEL FLAT

Nissan GT-R NISMO: 45.633 at 330 km/h
Ferrari 458 Italia: 45.028 at 333 km/h

So the winner again is the Ferrari 458, with only a slight edge.

3 Paint Chips.jpg

The Nissan has a lousy paint chip roster, nothing too special and not many options, my favourite was the Premium Red or whatever it was. The Ferrari has a whopping 26 to collect, with some really nice metallic paints with fancy-sounding names. My personal favourite is the Rosso Scuderia chip.

4 Customization.jpg

For customization I'm giving it to the Ferrari again. Not too many choices but they add something to the stock car, the GT-R looks fine and in my opinion doesn't need a new rear wing or whatnot because it's already pretty much an aero kit by itself.

5 Tuning.jpg

For tuning I'm giving this one to the GT-R. It has a few more uses than the 458 like drag racing and top speed, while both are useful for the track, the GT-R is still just like a huge pocket knife. The GT-R wins this one.

6 Sound.jpg

For sound, I'm giving this one to the Ferrari. Maranello really works their magic with their V8's and V12's. The GT-R has a nice turbo whistle and whatnot, the Ferrari however has so much more drama and emotion when it revs up to 9,000rpm that it creates half the driving experience for me.

7 Design and Styling.jpg

So what are you looking for, a high profile exotic or a high-power Japanese supercar tuned to humiliate said exotics? Design is a subjective thing, and I think the 458 is the most beautiful modern Ferrari in existence right now. The shell is functional and dramatic, aside from cars that are built purely for function like the 12c or GT-R. Now, there's nothing ugly abouth the GT-R, but they definatly didn't care about any fancy coachbuilding companies designing their ultimate sports car. In terms of functionality though, the GT-R does this in spades. Everything on the GT-R works,and it does a damned good job at it too, so I think I'm going to leave this round as up to you readers. I declare this round a tie.

8 Drifting and Online Popularity.jpg

The never-ending war of the GT6 community, is the GT-R overrated? is Ferrari 458 overused? my answer is to use whatever car suits your playstyle. I think the GT-R would have the upper hand in online tuned races because of it's higher specs and traction. But surprisingly the 458 has been good to me in a few 650pp races with GT-R's in them. So do you prefer 4WD or RWD? it's up to you. (Personally I prefer RWD, but it's a tie)

9 Final Thoughts.jpg

Ah 458, you may inherit my JPEGs and my virtual garage, and I may have paid money in asphault 8 just to use your sweet engine, and alas GT-R, you may be my favourite underdog on youtube comparisons, and you may change the lives of so many gamers like ourselves through GT Academy, but I must pick the Ferrari 458 Italia as my champion here today. Hark, O mighty Godzilla, I may have belittled you today, much to my dismay, but mehaps someday a lesser form of yourself may rise to the occasion and take revenge for Italy's actions on thy battleground. You will always be my favourite tuner.

So thy winner and thy vote be reserved for thy Ferrari 458 Italia of MMIX ('09)

And thy verdict be:

DO NEVER FORSAKETH MINE 9,000 RPM'S!!!!!!
upload_2016-3-8_21-19-54.png

(While I secretly enjoy this car minus the engine and wish it was in GT Sport)

Last edited:
A good battle, i think both cars should win because both are better than their American rivals

American rivals? What do you mean?

Smells a little "Xtreme" in here, if you ask me.

Anyway.

So we have that super-amazing Ferrari that seems to have been featured everywhere since its inception, and then we have a returning GT-R from another duel. Previously, I declared it the winner over the Viper GTS, (even though I enjoyed the Viper's behavior a million times better than the conservative handling GT-R) Will things be the same or will they be different? These two cars seem like they're more evenly matched actually.

Nurburgring Trial:
458 - 2:10.961
R35 - 2:10.747

Rotenboden Trial:
458 - 1:41.970
R35 - 1:40.736

SSR5 Trial:
458 - 1:28.910
R35 - 1:29.373

Pretty close battle, but the R35 wins yet another battle. I feel that the 458 handles with a manageable amount of play, but the R35's planted nature proves a little faster. The 458 is more fun to drive though.

The Nismo GT-R chalks up another win.

I must be in the wrong Nismo GT-R - mine was almost 5 seconds off the pace of the entry level Ferrari with all the Driver aids off. (I ran at Modern day Spa-Francorchamps at night so that my eyes didn't weep blood watching the replay of the Nismo.)

Sure the Ferrari is more expensive but you don't buy a Ferrari because it is cheap. It made the Nismo look like it was a hoopty. And the 458 comes in Dark Green Paint. Looks like a work of automotive art, rather than an offcut block of masonry.

And as my old manager Flavio points out, the 458 comes in several paint chips obtained from the classic Mafia tuxedo fabric catalogue - Grigio Ferro Metallic - "Oh! Suits you, sir!"

The Nismo wasn't terrible. It didn't come with the usual GT-R two full buckets of understeer - which was great. And it was quite enjoyable to drive for an all wheel drive heavyweight lump in the twistier corners. The fact that you get every grade of tyre in the game, FOR FREE, can't save it from being outclassed on a proper track.

So in Summary...
458 Italia - Much faster, better looking, more paint chips, less PP score, Handles better, No clown car spoiler, All understeer surgically removed with a mid engined rear wheel drive concept.
Nismo GT-R - Cheaper - More Tyres - erm, cheaper...lots of free tyres... cheap... all of those tyres! Much heavier - whoops that is a bad thing! Did I mention the tyres?

This was a first round demolition by way of knockout in Belgium to the Ferrari 458.

2m27.138 (Ferrari 458) ------------ 2m31.624 (Nismo GT-R)
SH Tyres - ABS=0 TCS=0 ESP=0 SRF=0 Track=Spa-Francorchamps (Modern) - Night

I think it's because I leave ABS on at 1 for all the cars. I make it a point to turn traction control completely off, but turning ABS off too seems masochistic.

Ferrari 458 Italia '09
4.5L
563 hp / 9,000 rpm
399 ft-lb / 6,000 rpm
1,485 kg (3,274 lbs)
559 pp

Nissan GT-R Nismo '14
3.8L
591 hp / 7,000 rpm
481 ft-lb / 3,500 rpm
1,720 kg (3,792 lbs)
574 pp

At Mid-Field on Comfort Softs, after many laps of testing, I'm convinced the Ferrari is faster, but only with a fearless driver. It weighs 518 lbs less than the GT-R and has all power going to the rear wheels, with an engine sitting on top of them. It does give up 28 horses and 82 ft-lbs of torque, though.

Last edited:
Seeing as @ThrasherDBS got such close times in both cars, I just went back to give the R35 another go. Sadly, I couldn't improve on the time I set earlier in the week. I'm just not so good at the turny bits on this track. If I had to choose a car for something like the Nurburgring 24 hour though, I'd prefer the GTR.

A report back from my side about laptimes of those great cars in Laguna Seca. While Nismo is easily achieving a 1:34, F458 is going even lower in 1:33 but with much more push and risk. Both on CS tires. Nismo isn't showing very much understeer and F458 is great when not pushed too hard and becomes dangerous when on 10/10 as all mid-engined cars should be without any aids. I still prefer F458 since exotic looks, great sound and drama when pushed is more charming than Nismo's -no question about- fabulous performance.

Let's go with the Ferrari. What a nice matchup we had this week, and neither of these disappointed in terms of performance. The Ferrari the harder of the two to drive, with slightly unpredictable handling. In order to get the most out of it, you have to take some risks by pushing it in corners and then some. The sound is great for GT6 standards by having a raspy V8 behind the seats. This car wins in the GT Auto by having a variety of aero parts and having some nice modern looms as well.

The GT-R. The ultimate Godzilla makes a second bus stop for this duel with tons of power and grip. Like stated just now, this car is definitely the more stable of the two which means you'll have more grip and feel safer in corners, but you'll need to watch for some understeer along the way. Engine is a bit flat sounding and not even close to the scary six-cylinder roar it has in real life, which is a drag. Not much can be added for exterior parts except a rear wing, but under the hood it can put out around 1,200 HP when fully upgraded. So after some careful evaluation, the car I choose is.....

The Ferrari

Both cars tested at Nürburgring GP/F, sports hard tires, no aids except ABS 1.

458: 2:11.246
GT-R Nismo: 2:10.660

And the votes:

458: 6
GT-R Nismo: 3

And the winner is.....

ferrari-458-italia-frankfurt-2009-03.jpg

The '09 458 Italia!!!

Congrats to ZedzyzDedzy for getting the winning time of 2:03.054 in the 458 and for getting the winning time of 2:05.448 in the GT-R Nismo! Great duel this week, so if you have any suggestions for the next duel, please feel free to start a conversation with me!​

This week's duel features two completely different cars that are pretty close in speed. Both are well known, so this week's duel is.....

2002 Dodge Viper GTS Final Edition_4.jpg

The 2002 SRT Viper GTS

vs

ptg01423264.jpg

The 2000 RUF RGT!!!

FR vs RR. In fact, I think this is the first duel to feature a rear engine car. Should be a good one, and this week's time trial takes place at Big Willow, a place where control at high speeds is key. So with that, let the battle begin.​

Delicious! Just hope the Viper is as good as it looks, that Porsche 996 with knobs on, will be very hard to beat.

But will the German car munch those rear tyres like the BTR/CTR twins?

Lap times on Trial Mountain (comfort softs, ABS 1 for both)

RUF RGT >>> 01:36,795
Dodge Viper GTS '02 >>> 01:37,261

The Viper is surprisingly well balanced, and has more traction than expected at first. It doesn't have fantastic brakes but it's already better than the '99 version. It's not a car that will drive itself, you have to force you will on it sometimes, which doesn't make the car extremely difficult, just not boring. The gearbox seems a bit long though, even for a fast track, it would have been nice to stage the 3 last gears closer I think.

The RGT is definitely a 911 breed, and behind the wheel, you'll feel the characteristic features of the architecture. What's nice is all those things are really smoothed down compared to older versions : the knob is switched from "dangerous" to "fun". You don't have to be Walter Rohrl anymore to get the most out of it and it forgives a few things. Then, if you can take advantage of its sharpness, you'll be rewarded with first class cornering speeds.

In the end, both cars are nice to drive, despite their differences. The Ruf clearly performs better on Trial Mountain, but on a track like Big Willow, positions might get swapped. But I'll take the RGT, as it is more of a driver's car - or suited to my taste at least - the one you'll take to track without hesitation.

Winner : Ruf RGT

Last edited:
So @NOS systems, since you seem so sure, I'm sure you've tried them both, right?

Because the Viper wound up beating the RUF in the trial I just did.

I like both of these cars, a tuned version of the RUF RGT also happens to occupy a spot in my favorites list, but the Viper is easier to drive and in some ways, faster.

Back