GT6 Duel of the Week #70: The Grand Finale (well, not really)

• Thread starter Cowboy
  • 1,338 comments
The time has come to find the winner of this week's duel, so here we go.

The SRT4. One of the standard cars left untouched by PD, but looks dont matter here. The SRT in my opinion seems to have the better handling of the two, but hits top speed at around 125 mph. The car itself felt somewhat comfortable to drive, comfortable enough to nab a time of 1:28.907 on Midfield.

The Scirocco. The detail, the more aggressive looking of the two, seemed to have unpredictable handling. Though it did hit a faster top speed than the SRT4. The handling seems to be a bit more understeer of the two, but that didn't stop it from getting a 1:27.569 on Midfield.

What would I choose? Well the SRT4 is way cheaper than the Scirocco, and to me seems to be more respected in open lobbies. So in short,

I choose the SRT4.

And judging by your guy's votes,

SRT4: 2
Scirocco: 3

The winner is.....

VW-Scirocco-R-driving-tunnel.jpg

The 2010 Scirocco R!!!

Next week will be week 10, so be sure to stop back here tomorrow for the next duel of the week!

Made it to week 10! Went by too fast for me, but I'll keep you guys from waiting any longer, so this week's duel of the week is.....

renault_5_turbo.jpg

The 1980 Renault 5 Turbo

vs

PEUGEOT205T16-2571_1.jpg

The 1985 Peugeot 205 T16!!!
(Thanks to @ThrasherDBS for the suggestion)

4WD vs MR, base models of iconic rally cars of the day, should be a good battle. Take these for a spin and let me know what you think!

Last edited:
2.5 months already huh? Time sure does fly...

Post-purchase specs, without oil change:

Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 '85
1.8L
200 hp / 7,000 rpm
188 ft-lb / 4,000 rpm
1,145 kg (2,524 lbs)
408 pp
78,400 Cr.

Renault R5 Turbo '80
1.4L
159 hp / 6,000 rpm
155 ft-lb / 3,500 rpm
970 kg (2,138 lbs)
388 pp
74,500 Cr.

Peugeot has a 400cc advantage, for an increase of 41 horses and 33 ft-lbs of torque. Unfortunately, with all this extra power comes a lot of extra weight. 175 kg (386 lbs) to be exact. The difference in price is a negligible 3,900 Cr.

At Mid-Field Raceway, both cars on Comfort Soft tires, these were my best lap times:

Peugeot hits a higher top speed on this track, 123 mph to 119 mph in the Renault.

Peugeot is the clear winner, but we should be mindful that it is a much newer car than the Renault, so take that for what it's worth.

The T16 was develop and sold only to comply with the Group B rules that ask for 200 car produced to homologate a race car.
But in fact, most of the T16 and the Turbo were race car or became race car.

The recent French seasonal event at Deep Forest in reverse...

Ran both cars and as you may expect the bigger more powerful 4wd Pug has the track pace to beat up the old Renault.

388pp - 159bhp - 970kg - MR - CS - Renault R5 Turbo '80

1m36.976 - 8m28.672 Yawecar Tserofpeed. (Fastest lap - 5 laps)

Oh la la. OOOh Rene 'old me in your arms!

This was great. The car was alive in the corners. You have to drive properly in the corners to go fast, but when you mess up it ends in a big smokey screeching grin machine.

Painted mine in "Racing Yellow" to get the Flying Teapot look of the F1 Turbo Renault F1 car

--------------------

408pp - 200bhp - 1145kg - 4WD - CS - Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 '85

1m33.727 - 8m09.802 Yawecar Tserofpeed. (Fastest lap - 5 laps)

4WD so not quite as bad as front wheel drive. But this is not your usual 4WD, as the engine is where the back seats are... oh a transversely mounted turbo charged engine... Zut Alors!

Loads of fun. The bulk of the weight of the car on the back axel makes it much more fun for me to drive at least. It isn't great in the corners, but it is a step up from most four wheel drive cars - And you can over rotate in a corner to complete it leaving a big smoky trail.

==========

In my modest hands the T16 was over 3 seconds faster at the reversed DFR. The Five was a ton of fun to drive - peaky power and a mid engine - not a huge amount of grip - lots of fun to chuck about. The obvious down side is when you unleash the car you bleed loads of time with oversteer - huge fun though.

The T16 is pretty impressive for a four wheel drive car - I usually don't enjoy the drive of most 4wd cars down to the fact they usually have the engine at the front. This is an exception I would probably pick as the most fun 4wd car in gt6. As it has all wheel drive it "leaps" out of corners compared to the old R5. the pug is also very easy to be very consistent with. The Renault 5 is much more playful if you step over the limit and it is very easy overdrive this car.

Which is best?
The Peugeot is easy to drive fast - But the Renault is much more fun to drive -
The Renault feels fast but the Peugeot is actually fast.

colours - in Reality you could only get the grey 205 as the white one was a the first show model. the R5 has two much more interesting colours AND it has matching funky coloured alloys too.

Both are good but the pair are mismatched.

The Pug is hands down way faster.

If I had to choose one? The 205 T16

---

So it appears I done goofed when I thought up this pair for a duel. I thought they'd be pretty close in performance. I try them both out, and one is clearly better than the other. I did my normal two trials: Matterhorn Rotenboden and SSR5. The Peugeot was clearly faster than the Renault. So I thought "what if I do a trial on a type of track these two cars are most associated with?" I did a dirt trial at Toscana with both cars, but with the same sort of result as the other two trials.

Mountain Trial:
205 - 1:58.661
5 Turbo - 2:04.104

City Trial:
205 - 1:45.487
5 Turbo - 1:48.285

Dirt Trial:
205 - 2:00.636
5 Turbo - 2:07.952

As you can see, the Peugeot straight up dusted the Renault. The Peugeot has 40 more horsepower and has 4WD on its side. The Renault, while nearly 200kg lighter, doesn't have the power to keep up with the Peugeot. Not to mention, it's also MR, which isn't as conducive to rallying as 4WD is. The Peugeot is also easier to drive than the Renault.

My apologies for the mismatched duel here. I was thinking they would be close, but clearly it wasn't the case.

The Peugeot obviously gets my vote.

Please try to bear with me, I have a serious cold at the moment. So if there is a typo, let me know.

The R5. It has the lesser power of the two but has the weight advantage and it is MR. When I drove this one the first thing I noticed was the oversteer you would expect from a Midship car. Doesn't seem like it really wants to take any tight corners though, but of the sweeping curves it does decent.

The 205 on the other hand is pretty much the opposite. It has the power advantage, but weighs more than its competitor. Did I mention it has the advantage of 4WD? When I drove this car obviously it seemed more comfortable to drive than the R5 and you could throw it around however you liked. Which one did I choose? In short,

I chose the 205.

How did these two compare in times?

Tested on Matterhorn Dristelen. Both cars completely stock.

R5: 1:23.109
205: 1:21.773

The 205 easily beats the R5 by over a second, and judging by your guy's votes, the winner is.....

peugeot-205-t16.jpeg

The Peugeot 205 T16 '85!!!

Another week down, check back tomorrow for the next duel of the week and if you have any suggestions, start a conversation with me!

This week I decided to choose two cars from @SuzukaStar's lap time thread on Midfield. So this weeks duel of the week is.....

2013-SRT-Viper-1.jpg

The 2013 Dodge SRT Viper GTS

vs

_gtr_nismo_137_0.jpg

The 2014 Nissan GT-R Nismo

FR vs 4WD. Should be an ever raging battle, so let me know what you think is better. And let the battle begin.

GTR all the way. Sorry Viper but Godzilla is much more reliable, much easier to be driven hard and safe in all conditions (wet-dry), much more modern in interior and exterior design (none of them is pretty imo). Only thing better in Viper is the sound as R35's engine is turbo and as such, muted compared to the Viper's V10 which isn't as great sounding as LFA's or Gallardo's though due to low revs and not so advanced tech.

I'd pick SRT.
Because I don't really like how AWD cars drive and feel in GT6.
Also I find the Viper sexier and more challenging to drive :cool:

Hmm - Off the Bat I would say I want the Viper to be best. The R35 GT-R is the ugliest GT-R in history, but... that Viper isn't exactly a looker either... what did the design guys do? In fact looking at the pictures above, maybe the GT-R is less retina meltingly ugly.

Have to give these two a good drive. Hope they are under 500pp so I can run them at Spa... but I doubt I will be able to!

Both are very good sports cars, achieving the goals of being driver's cars in two different ways. If you like mechanical cars than the Viper is an obvious choice but if you're a technology sort of person, than the GTR is the perfect choice. So hard to choose. I'd say the GTR, much easier to use the car to the driver's limits, even though the Viper is an echo of the past in which it only car and driver.

Just did two races for these guys. The GT-R has cheaty Sport Softs - while the Greatest American Hero (Dodge Viper) has (still a bit cheaty,) Sport Hards.

The winner? The Viper demolished the GT-R by a win by 44 seconds. The second event the GT-R wasn't even able to start the race as it isn't classed as a Normal car...

The Viper GTS destroyed the GT-R in terms of ultimate pace.

Viper is cheaper - has more paint options, Has more aero mod options. (Though you do get the option to get rid of the silly bolt on wing of the GT-R - but it is still ugly all day.) Looks much better even if it is the worst looking Viper ever. (Oddly the R35 is the worst looking GT-R as well!)

Maybe the GTR caught a bad couple of races, but not being classed as a normal car ended it for me.

Winner SRT Viper GTS '13

Last edited:
Too many Mopar fanboy's over here....

Wait...does the Viper actually costs less than a base model GT-R? What!?
I actually compared the local prices of these cars and indeed the Viper is cheaper than a GT-R... I thought it was the other way around since I've never saw a viper at all yet I've seen R35's from time to time.

Anyway:

Price: SRT because cheaper *Ding*

Design: I actually prefer Black Edition GT-R design over the Nismo GT-R one's and since i think Viper looks quite good, I have to take the SRT. *Ding twice*

Performance: Viper is more powerful I think but GT-R Nismo is more stable.....wait it's actually understeers all the time (especially those who played the first round in GT Academy 2015 will know what I mean) so SRT wins here. *Ding*

Also GTR fanboys *Ding*...
...Especially Kaz *Dings 6 times because 6 different GTR Gen's in GT6*

PD, the creator of Gran Turismo Series, created the multifunction display on the GT-R *Ding*

4 of 11 weeks in DOTW involved a nissan GTR *ding*

The colour choice of the Nismo is much more limited compared to the SRT. *Ding*

Nismo/Nissan added a feature on the car which allows you to remake the driving on some circuit during trackdays on a ps3 video game. *Ding*

Video Game Sins Tally: 14
SENTENCE....

Bonus round...Skyline/GT-R count:
Ding
Ding
Ding
Ding
Ding
Ding
Ding
70 added dings...

Video Game Sins Tally: 84
Sentence: Godzilla...

Uhhh....what the hell I'm doing in the first place?? :P

Oh wait, it was DOTW...not cinema sins knock off...

To be more serious, it's gotta be the Viper all the way...

I like both cars a lot and I don't want to sound like a "fanboy" which is a silly term for somebody who likes something more than the other option.

Anyways the GT-R Nismo is my preferred choice. Although the Viper is more fun if I want to do some serious track day racing the Nismo would be my choice since it overall feels more like a supercar, one that is designed to be serious with no messing about. Outside of racing the Nismo looks like it would be of very high quality and as an everyday car I would rather own it compared to the Viper not saying that it wouldn't be, it is just my interpretation.

As for lap times, my choice of track is Monaco which I think is a perfect test of handling, acceleration and overall feel (which I guess is handling) I haven't gotten to testing the Nismo yet and the Viper's time may need to be updated. Each of my times are done on either SH or RH depending on if the car is a race car or not
so far I've only got the:
1:44.208 - Viper GTS '13 - Lot's of torque and power, Bit harder to put the power down. Very enjoyable though
1:44.221 - Nissan GT-R '07 - 4WD with great handling and obviously with a lot of grip.

Back