GT6 Duel of the Week #70: The Grand Finale (well, not really)

• Thread starter Cowboy
  • 1,338 comments
I wish I had to time to write full on reviews for you guys. I don't so here is the short version.

Civic
A car that handels well for its layout. Doesn't have the best style of looks. Has a good amount of acceleration, after the burnout.

86 GT
Looks sharp, and has a real sports car design to it. Perfect amount of power for an everyday driver or to take to the track. With both of those mentioned, the car doesn't have more power than what it looks like it should have. Does anybody understand that? :lol:

I choose the 86!

Coming back to the topic at hand, I ran these two cars through my usual trials. It was interesting seeing the results, as both cars are tied.

Mountain Trial:
Civic - 1:58.445
GT86 - 2:01.034

City Trial:
Civic - 1:44.334
GT86 - 1:44.015

The Civic had the clear advantage on Matterhorn Rotenboden, chiefly due to the extra power on the uphill sections, but the GT86 was significantly more maneuverable on both tracks. That maneuverability is why the GT86 had the advantage on SSR5. The front-wheel drive nature of the Civic, as you can probably guess, made the car very understeery. This became quite a pain on the downhill sections of the Matterhorn. On top of that, the Civic was quite a bore to drive due to its lack of responsiveness. While the GT86 didn't have as much power, it was more fun to drive, and took corners much more smoothly.

In the event of a tie, if I really liked both cars, I would do a third trial. However, since I enjoyed the GT86 and didn't care for the Civic, I declare the GT86 the winner.

Let's dive into to this shall we?

The Civic. Carrying on the unforgettable Type R name that gives it a higher power out put than its rival, but it weighs a bit more. I was fairly disappointed when I drove it because it did have the get-up-and-go, but lost it in the corners. But I'm not saying I hate the car. Really I think this car has potential with the right driver and with the right tune, could be a heck of a machine.

The 86 GT. Living on as the succesor to the Haichi Roku, this car pumps out a decent 190 HP and weighs considerably lighter than the Civic. In my opinion, this car is the exact opposite of the Civic. It seemed to be able and was ready for anything to be thrown at it in the corners and felt very comfortable to drive. My vote.....

Goes to the 86 GT. How did these compare on the track?

Tested at Midfield, stick tires, no tuning.

86 GT: 1:27.683
Civic Type R: 1:29.264

And judging by the votes:

86 GT: 7
Civic Type R: 3

The winner is.....

50558366114toy.jpg

The 2012 86 GT!!!

Well that's all I have to say for this, so stop back tomorrow for the next duel of the week.

The Civic. Carrying on the unforgettable Type R name that gives it a higher power out put than its rival, but it weighs a bit more. I was fairly disappointed when I drove it because it did have the get-up-and-go, but lost it in the corners. But I'm not saying I hate the car. Really I think this car has potential with the right driver and with the right tune, could be a heck of a machine.

The 86 GT. Living on as the succesor to the Haichi Roku, this car pumps out a decent 190 HP and weighs considerably lighter than the Civic. In my opinion, this car is the exact opposite of the Civic. It seemed to be able and was ready for anything to be thrown at it in the corners and felt very comfortable to drive. My vote.....

The winner is.....

50558366114toy.jpg

The 2012 86 GT!!!

Well that's all I have to say for this, so stop back tomorrow for the next duel of the week.
I think the comparison between these two will largely depend on which tyres are fitted to the cars and which track the comparison takes place. If I was to speak as a real world consumer, I'd be talking to my local Toyota dealer as I believe the 86 has so much more potential from stock than the Civic. Add another 50bhp to the 86 & it'd laugh at you. Try the same with the Civic and it'd try & kill you.
Looking forward to the next comparison.

I think the comparison between these two will largely depend on which tyres are fitted to the cars and which track the comparison takes place. If I was to speak as a real world consumer, I'd be talking to my local Toyota dealer as I believe the 86 has so much more potential from stock than the Civic. Add another 50bhp to the 86 & it'd laugh at you. Try the same with the Civic and it'd try & kill you.
Looking forward to the next comparison.
The latest gen Civic Type R will burn the 86 in terms of pace even with the extra 50bhp.

The Civic did the Nurburgring in 7:50 while the 86 did it in 9:09. In terms of a smaller track like Tsukuba, the latest gen Civic has yet to set a time around there but the FD2 did it in a 1:07 while the 86GT did it in a 1:09. Also remember the FD2 is 80bhp down on the FK2.

The latest gen Civic Type R will burn the 86 in terms of pace even with the extra 50bhp.

The Civic did the Nurburgring in 7:50 while the 86 did it in 9:09. In terms of a smaller track like Tsukuba, the latest gen Civic has yet to set a time around there but the FD2 did it in a 1:07 while the 86GT did it in a 1:09. Also remember the FD2 is 80bhp down on the FK2.
I appreciate what your saying but the Civic Type R in this comparison and the latest version of the Type R are in a different universe little own a different world.
Drop the engine out of an STi into an 86 or BRZ so it's in the same horsepower range as the current Type R & we have a fair fight.

I appreciate what your saying but the Civic Type R in this comparison and the latest version of the Type R are in a different universe little own a different world.
Drop the engine out of an STi into an 86 or BRZ so it's in the same horsepower range as the current Type R & we have a fair fight.
That would defeat the point of having a fair car comparison by having an engine swap. Also I don't think the 86 would transmit the power onto the road with them Prius tyres.

The winner is.....

50558366114toy.jpg

The 2012 86 GT!!!

Unfortunately Gt6s weird physics don't allow for comparisons between Rear wheel vs Front wheel cars - The rear wheel drive ones will most probably win! If you want to equate things a bit use a higher tier tire on the Front wheels of your FWD - it'll make things more realistic and fair ;)

For example
Gt86 F:CS R:CS
Type R F:SH R:CS

This week I have decided to step it up to the race car side of GT6. This week's duel is.....

2001_lemans64.JPG

The 2000 Chevrolet Corvette C5 R

vs

viper_gtsr_victor_preisler_05.jpg

The 2000 Dodge Viper GTS R Team Oreca!!!

(Thanks to @jontikis for the suggestion)
Two legendary race cars that have been in the series since GT3. If your willing to shell out the money, give these two a spin and let me know what you think. And if you have any suggestions, feel free to start a conversation with me!

Both cars are amazing. But I keep in mind that the Dodge Viper is more of a muscle car, as compared to the Chevy Corvette which is a sports car. The Viper isn't exactly a lean, mean cornering machine, and I like Vettes more than Vipers, but Oreca worked their magic on the Viper once they were contracted by Chrysler. And because of that, the Viper GTS-R has had an extremely successful racing career. Heck, it won both the 24H of Nurburgring and Le Mans, for God's sake. A muscle car, giving a precision driving instrument a run for its money around full-fledged race tracks. :crazy:

And so that's why my vote goes to the Viper GTS-R 👍👍

Hmm. I've always liked the Viper - such a great mix of style and agricultural power. The Vette? Never a big fan but it has those Minion eyes at the front... Maybe I should give it more of a chance.

Pure Looks and gut. I'd pick the GTS-R. ... But oddly I'd not bought either of the Dodge/Chrysler GTS-R's but I had bought the C5R Minion mobile. The rear window of the C5R always jars me out of what is otherwise a pretty good mid life crisis car turned racer. The Viper wins on the livery scheme too. Red with white stripes isn't great, but it is better than the yellow white of the Corvette. I wonder how track performance compares?

I haven't driven these two since GT3! I had an absolute blast thrashing around every circuit I could.

In GT6 both feel pretty good not as enjoyable as GT3 in my opinion but to cut my verdict short I vote for the Viper GTS-R wins for me. It feels slightly better and for a Viper, very tame.

Just did 10 laps of Suzuka with both, the C5R has a lot of troublesome understeer due to the 54:46 weight distribution and it kills its front tyres too. The GTS-R is easier to drive, (Fronts don't lock up as much)

The C5R isn't terrible, but in GT6 it isn't quite on the level of the Viper.

So Ryk gives his vote to the GTS-R.

Decided to add a third trial to this particular matchup. These cars are known for their performances at LeMans, so why not test them on the same track they battled on 15 years ago? Doing my research on the two actual cars that competed in 2000, 2 of the 3 Oreca Vipers beat the two Corvettes. The top Viper, and also the GTS class winner of the year, was the #51 car featured in the game. The other Viper featured in GT6, the #91 car, actually was a DNA that year. Let's see if it would've been the third Viper to beat the two Corvettes.

Mountain Trial:
#64 Corvette - 1:33.160
#91 Viper - 1:33.880

City Trial:
#64 Corvette - 1:21.477
#91 Viper - 1:19.512

LeMans Trial (2013 Configuration):
#64 Corvette - 3:58.906
#91 Viper - 3:57.881

An interesting match this week. The top Corvette at the 2000 24 hours of LeMans vs. the no-show Viper. After the three trials, the Viper manages to prove that it would have knocked the Corvette off the podium for the GTS class, and given Team Oreca a podium lockout. Both cars have their own strengths but they both manage to be exceptionally quick. The Corvette had more power and was lighter than the Viper, and to cap it off, it was also much more stable in the corners. This was very apparent on the Matterhorn track. The Viper was quite a handful to control, and the sudden elevation changes magnified that fact. With less power, more weight, and difficult control, how on Earth did the Viper win? My theory? The Viper's gearing. As soon as you step on the gas pedal, you get gobs of torque unlike the Corvette. Naturally, this would make the Viper more tail-happy, but it also improves acceleration if you get the hang of stabilizing the car. This is what made it pull ahead on SSR5, and what made it beat the Corvette's time by a full second.

The #91 Viper, while a no-show at the 2000 24 hours of LeMans, manages to prove itself the quicker racecar than the #64 Corvette that took the bronze.

As much as I really like the C5, I gotta admit that I like the Viper more. :D

I vote Viper!

Back