GT6 Duel of the Week #70: The Grand Finale (well, not really)

• Thread starter Cowboy
  • 1,338 comments
The Cuda was truly spectacular in GT4 (with a good tune). In GT5 and GT6 it's a waste of HD space unfortunately.

I vote Charger.

The Cuda was truly spectacular in GT4 (with a good tune). In GT5 and GT6 it's a waste of HD space unfortunately.

I vote Charger.

I think it was in GT2 as well. With the Premium Cuda in the game, it truly is a waste.

I wish there was a way to make it so the car doesn't lose so much power at high revs. That alone makes the car feel hopeless to me. Perhaps there is a tune that cures the car if its lackluster high rpm performance, I don't know I'm no tuner, but I would love to see it.

Cuda for me, beautiful car and has an awesome power band in my opinion. Yeah, it may not handle the best, but it is fun to drive. Key word there would be "fun". If it puts a smile on my face, it wins. 👍

I vote CUDA!!!

I wish there was a way to make it so the car doesn't lose so much power at high revs. That alone makes the car feel hopeless to me. Perhaps there is a tune that cures the car if its lackluster high rpm performance, I don't know I'm no tuner, but I would love to see it.
Power Limiter might help a bit as for the tuning.

As for the driving, have you tried shifting a littpe bit earlier?

Last edited:
Just tested both cars on the Goodwood Festival of Speed. I decided to do it the way @SuzukaStar does it. Buy the car and put CS tires on to make the results a bit more realistic. I left all aids off except ABS which i set to 1.

3a1Jih0.jpg

Despite the Cude being almost 100 kilos lighter and having 9 more HP, it was still slower than the charger by half a second. The Cuda seems to accelerate slower as you gain more rpm, which can be avoided by switching to a higher gear before you hit 6000 rpm, then it accelerates faster again. The Charger in my opinion seems to handle better and is slightly more predictable while the Cuda's breaks seem to be slightly more responsive and it's a bit faster off the line.

I pick the Charger as in my opinion, it looks better, is slightly faster around the track and handles better.

I love the old Mopar cars. Raw power is what always sticks out in my mind when it comes to these. That said, while the 'Cuda has a higher PP rating, the Charger seems to be the better car of the two.

Mountain Trial (Matterhorn Rotenboden):
Charger - 1:52.906
'Cuda - 1:58.396

City Trial (SSR5)
Charger - 1:42.113
'Cuda - 1:43.559

I found the Charger a little harder to turn than the 'Cuda, but I feel the Charger is a better performer when it counts. Despite the 'Cuda having more power than the Charger, I feel that the Charger's gearing is better, and thus, the power arrives when it needs to. I feel this is especially the case on the Mountain Trial, as the 'Cuda felt quite sluggish on the uphill, and probably the reason why its best lap was a little over 5 seconds slower than the Charger's.

Both cars have a countenance that demands respect. However the Charger feels more like the Captain, whereas the 'Cuda is just the right hand man.

Charger wins for sure, but I love them both anyway.

Believe it or not, these two were actually easy for me to drive. Even though they are old and heavy, they still managed to get some pretty decent times around the track. I tried both on a track so that either one would not max out on top speed. So here we go.....

3 laps on Silverstone Stowe Circuit, sports hard tires, no oil change.

Charger: 0:58.501
Cuda: 0:59.520

The Charger is just over a second faster than the Cuda. To make it fair I tested both these cars in manual due to the power loss of the Cuda at high rpms. Which would I prefer? That's a tough question for me because I like both of these cars a ton, but detail wise I would pick the Charger. Performance? Very close on this but I would like the Charger again because even though it looks like a boat, it feels more comforting to drive. So, in conclusion,

I pick the Charger.

How about you guys?

Gotta go Cuda
the Charger wins for me.
the Charger feels more balanced.
I choose the Charger. Who can pass up the hidden headlights?
I vote Charger.
I vote Charger.
I vote CUDA!!!
I pick the Charger as in my opinion, it looks better, is slightly faster around the track and handles better.
Charger wins for sure,
These are two of my favorite cars but I like the Charger better.

Charger: 8
Cuda: 2

And we have a winner......

70-Hemi-Charger-RT-action.jpg

The '70 Charger 440 R/T!!!

Don't feel bad Cuda, there are people out there who like you. Anyways, another well picked duel done, check back tomorrow for the next duel of the week.

Last edited:
Gonna make this as brief as possible since I'm working right now. Anyways this week's duel of the week is.....

1994_mclaren_f1-pic-10901.jpeg

The 1994 McLaren F1

vs

bugatti-veyron-2009-4599.jpg

The 2009 Bugatti Veyron 16.4
(Thanks to @ToyGTone for the suggestion)

I noticed that a bunch of you wanted this rivalry. I am going to stick with my decision on who will win, but I'll have to test these to tell.

Soo... the Veyron has massive power and... and...

The F1 looks great, has more than enough power and handels very well.

I remember testing both on GT5 on the Top Gear Test track. I think both lapped about the same times, but the F1 was actually fun to drive while the Veyron did not understeer, no, it defined understeer.

So the F1 definitely wins for me.

The F1 can be quite a handful to drive, but it's rewarding when you get the hang of it. The Veyron (unsurprisingly) has a lot of understeer and isn't very fun to drive, but it is a lot easier to drive. I've only ever driven it in that license test on Ascari though, so it would be unfair for me to compare the two.

McLaren F1 wins for me.

Sure, the Veyron is a concrete proof how man has the capability of producing a techinical marvel, but it has yet to prove its competition pedigree; and sadly it is turning into a car for the affluent who have A) Midlife crisis and B) the intention of flaunting their wealth. Plus, its handling is a big turn-off for those who truly want to drive.

The F1, on the other hand, has proven more than enough not just its top speed but also its victory in races. The way the engineers built the chassis is clearly the evidence that they use the data gathered from their racing experiences and put them in that car. It's also a technical marvel, but it bore a lot more fruit than the Veyron. Plus, its lightweight frame and the absence of driving aids make the McLaren an enthusiast's dream that only few can ever afford.

I bought those two plus the Huayra over the weekend. F1 all the way. The driving position, the NA engine, stick shift, the revs building in the tachometer, the soundtrack is good and the size of the car is perfect. I dig the simplicity of its shape. And those double round headlights are classic.

McLaren F1 - ABS=0 as standard. 3 seats, handles like a dream. Fast with added Lightness.

Veyron - Bloated. Only a two seater, has understeer The biggest thing to hit France with such crippling understeer since the Amoco Cadiz way back in the 70's.

I tested both at Suzuka Circuit (pre-update) about a year ago, both on Sport Hard tires and ABS-1. All other aids off, manual transmission, DS3, grip set to Low.

Maximum speed on the straightaway (in mph):

180 - Veyron
174 - F1

The F1 would be faster if I had a wheel, for sure. It requires a very delicate, deliberate touch and doesn't like sudden movements. It's much more rewarding to drive while the Veyron is relaxed, comfortable, and chock full of understeer. The Veyron feels like a bigger, heavier, more powerful Nissan GT-R, while the F1 feels like nothing else. I vote F1.

Back